Valve, "Linux is the future of gaming" - Shots fired? - Page 15 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Well they have great web design, that's for sure.

I see a steam controller on one pic.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 252
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/02/04/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-challenge/5207295/

This article implies that Microsoft's new CEO will have to decide in his first 180 days whether to stay the course on the hardware side & Nokia, or focus on the Enterprise side. If they choose the latter...they could join this fray pretty easily with a Game OS version of Windows 8 without the App bloat...and contain a potential big threat. Unfortunately for Xbox One hopefuls...it suggests they could spin that business unit off. Or at least the hardware side of it. I think the new guy is going to really focus on rejuvenating...rebuilding...rethinking...renewing the PC market from a variety of directions. Most importantly...he, Bill Gates and the Board seem to be zoning in on opening up Windows and other MS Software platforms for a wider audience of usage. But his focus will be squarely on strengthening and defending their PC turf. That could bode well for us...who returned to, or stayed true to our PC roots. As I stated elsewhere in this thread...I hope they just dump the Xbox Console business and develop a kick ass Xbox OS for PC that can be plopped into any PC...including a dedicated SteamBox. Or 3rd Party Xbox. I personally wouldn't touch an Xbox One right now. Even though I'm as avid a Xbox 360 user as there is. I just don't know where MS is going with that business. And PS4 looks like a better console bet right now...Whenever I buy a new console. But no rush on that one for me. I'm happy with Last Gen and PC. I like how Valve is pushing the envelope right now with Steam and VR. But a rejuvenated Microsoft "Software Centric" company could make things really interesting.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I do not see them dumping the Xbox brand. If they sell that off then why keep Xbox Live around as well since the two go hand and hand with each other. Either way they have some big decisions to make.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

I do not see them dumping the Xbox brand. If they sell that off then why keep Xbox Live around as well since the two go hand and hand with each other. Either way they have some big decisions to make.

I definitely do not think they will dump the Xbox Brand either. But I do believe they are considering very different ways of doing it. Meaning more along the line of what Valve is doing with Steam such as...dedicated OS and Enterprise software and game publishing approach...3rd Party licensing for MS spec'd Hardware...dedicated Cloud for game development and gameplay access & Maintenance through Windows and XBOS...Online retail (XBL) and Partnership links. And who knows what else. I could easily see the new guy taking a very minimalist hardware approach with Win 8 & Xbox tablets and Nokia/Skype phones accessing their platforms & content on a DD only basis.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Yeah, I don't see that happening at all.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess what I am saying is that I can see the new guy taking this 180 day grace period to challenge all of the assumptions floating around Microsoft right now. And some of those "Sacred Cows" are going to be tossed out. And others will be integrated into a future that he and Bill Gates think will work and extend MS' dominance. Especially in their core businesses of Windows, Office and Enterprise Business platforms. Most of their tinkering IMO will occur with the outlyers that forge stronger links to a web based future they foresee for merging their "Enterprises". Xbox fits into such a vision primarily because of XBL. Windows itself is the dominant platform for it because of IE...Bing...Skype...Nokia...Smartglass...Cloud...Win 8.1...Office 365...Azure...and others.

The allure of drilling much deeper into Households through XBL & XB1 is seriously flawed IMO unless they can serve up something totally new and urgently needed by the marketplace. Such as ala carte programming for ESPN and other "cord cutting" Apps. Perhaps a large ISP provider like Verizon sees this handwriting on the wall. And has already partnered with MS to try this approach through them instead of collapsing their current model. If such an experiment worked MS would retreat totally inot the world of Enterprise software and ala carte programming via XBL on the multimedia side of their business

In a scenario like described...Xbox OS hardware fulfillment would go into exclusive cable boxes, and HTPC platforms like SteamBox with exclusive Enterprise Partners like Dell, Asus and others. I do think MS would continue to link an Xbox into such an ecosystem. But it would be much simpler IMO. Something akin to a XB1/Surface RT tablet that can dock to a properly spec'd Win 8 PC and boot the system hardware to optimum XB functionality. End User PC builders like us could be able to tie in through a Dual Boot Xbox OS SSD or DD as long as we have upgraded to the compatible Windows 8 platform. Bottom line is I think the new guy will return Microsoft to its enterprise roots. And this will be overall good for us PC gamers. Because their OS can be made to work the way we need it faster and better than Linux IMO. They just needed this kick in the butt to get them to open things up. IMO Xbox and Win 8 will be the lead horses in that push.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/02/18/developers-weigh-in-on-their-plans-for-pc-console-and-mobile-development.aspx

This survey is a bit surprising to me. PC and Mobile seems to be where Developers are planning to sprinkle their Fairy Dust in the future. And by a pretty big margin. If the numbers accurately reflect activity...Valve will be printing money. And the new consoles could just be getting ports from PC. Interesting.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/02/18/developers-weigh-in-on-their-plans-for-pc-console-and-mobile-development.aspx

This survey is a bit surprising to me. PC and Mobile seems to be where Developers are planning to sprinkle their Fairy Dust in the future. And by a pretty big margin. If the numbers accurately reflect activity...Valve will be printing money. And the new consoles could just be getting ports from PC. Interesting.
That would make sense. With the new systems having the same architecture build them on the PC and maximize there and then port it over. I would imagine it would be easier to bring things down graphically to the PS4 and Xboxone then to have to redo things to bring it to the PC.
barrelbelly likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what happened to Tyrant11. He hasn't posted on AVS for a long time. But he was prophetic on this score. The following steam link highlight all of the launches around SteamOS/Steambox and Valve for fall 2015. And it is impressive! They obviously got Microsoft's attention. BIG TIME! and perhaps that is why Phil Spencer tried to get out front of this tidal wave of gaming products with his recent Xbox/PC Windows 10 announcements. I will definitely dabble a bit in the Valve playground. I have an extra/unused small form factor Asus Win7 PC that I'll dabble with first with SteamOS. And see what happens.

http://store.steampowered.com/universe/

PS: anyone know what happened to the OP...Tyrant11?
Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I dunno... When Windows 10's released, I definitely see Windows gaming making a big-time comeback for sure. Sure, Windows 8/8.1 may have wowed the HTPC crowd with the Metro interface being so big screen TV and remote control friendly, and such, but when it comes to gaming on a Windows platform, well, sometimes an interface that gives the keyboard and mouse their style of navigation around again is where it might start.

Living Room: Samsung UN46A750 46" ToC 1080p, Yamaha HTC-6160 AV Receiver, JBL Cinema 480 5.1 Speakers, Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.
Master Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W950B 55" 1080p, Sony HT-XT1 Soundbar, Xbox One, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Basement: Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 1080p 3DTV, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Bose Companion II Series 2 2.1 Speakers, Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder
Old 03-07-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yeah...I wasn't that impressed either. The Steam controller still looks terrible to me (button placement/one analog stick) but of course I'm saying that having never used it. Steam Machine prices are all over the place and the specs are all over the place and it seems like you're still better off building your own machine. SteamVR definitely has potential but I wonder about the space requirement and the cost. Steam Link is the one thing I can see myself getting as long as I can use my 360/other controller. I do wonder about how it would work with home theater setups though...
Old 03-07-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Valve is good for exactly one thing at this point: Running Steam.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Old 03-07-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Valve needs to get back to making games!

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 03-07-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe a dumb question. But will all of my games on Steam run without flaw on Steam Machines/SOS? Especially since all of them were developed and optimized for PC to work on Windows. If not, that will be a non starter for most IMO.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
Maybe a dumb question. But will all of my games on Steam run without flaw on Steam Machines/SOS? Especially since all of them were developed and optimized for PC to work on Windows. If not, that will be a non starter for most IMO.

Only the games ported to linux will work. I used to be interested in steamOS but its taken far too long for them to release it and at this point Microsoft and windows 10 has stolen all their thunder. At this point i can't think of any good reason to care about it.
barrelbelly likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yep. Valve took to long to get their ish together.

Quote:
Here's a list of games that would/should work: https://steamdb.info/linux/

It doesn't look like any Square Enix, Activision/Blizzard, Bethesda, 2K/Rockstar, EA, Ubisoft or Capcom games are on that list. I only scanned it, so I could be wrong of course. Looks like limited Sega titles as well.

Like you said, that's probably a nonstarter for most.
barrelbelly likes this.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
If you're heavily invested in Windows-only titles, stay there. If not, you can certainly dip your toes into Steamland. Many older games and newer games are being/have been ported to SteamOS, so it's a wait and see situation right now. There's a SteamOS games sale going on right now with titles that have been or shortly will be ported to SteamOS, so fire up your Steam client and take a look at those. I myself am waiting for a few titles (Homeworld Remastered for starters) until I fully embrace SteamOS, but I suspect the new Vulkan API will be the catalyst for getting a lot of games onto the platform, as it will bring big performance increases for AAA titles.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
If you're heavily invested in Windows-only titles, stay there. If not, you can certainly dip your toes into Steamland. Many older games and newer games are being/have been ported to SteamOS, so it's a wait and see situation right now. There's a SteamOS games sale going on right now with titles that have been or shortly will be ported to SteamOS, so fire up your Steam client and take a look at those. I myself am waiting for a few titles (Homeworld Remastered for starters) until I fully embrace SteamOS, but I suspect the new Vulkan API will be the catalyst for getting a lot of games onto the platform, as it will bring big performance increases for AAA titles.

Well it's kinda hard to do anything but wait and see it right, I think final release is November? I still don't think it has a reason to exist anymore - two years ago windows was becoming a questionable gaming platform, but now they responded on pretty much every front. Windows 10 is a free upgrade, it's doubtful vulkan can do anything dx12 can't, and from the GDC talks I've listened to they're doing a lot to increase gaming stability and performance beyond that. Steam is still great, the controller looks nice, but why deal with linux when you can get all that and more with windows?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 03-08-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

It has really been fascinating and very interesting observing and participating in the evolution of gaming. Especially over the past 3-4 years. Gaming is now right on the doorstep of becoming all consuming and explosive again. Because now there is so much competition emerging for our attention on all fronts. Even the title of this thread is already as obsolete as the Next Generation console threads. The most I am prepared to say is that Valve will be a big part of my "future" in video gaming. Whether its HL2 mod redux, above, HL3, VR, SOS or something else. I will support their efforts on PC just to help keep the pot stirred up. I agree with BD2003 about the Windows 10 assessment. Because it has made my decision on my core system moot.

It will be Win 10 PC driven and linked to XBL for new XB1 console games not available on PC right away...Xbox 360 for backwards compatibility to the full Xbox library & WMC linkups in different rooms via my central/core HTPC...and probably 1-3 different sets of VR Headgear (Oculus/Morpheus/Valve). Hopefully just one will do the trick. But I doubt it. I really don't see a need for XB1 and PS4. But I may grab a few dirt cheap Xbox 360s when they inevitably hit the $99-$119 price tag. And a couple of PS3's too...to access that huge library of games. Hopefully Morpheus will be enabled to support BC to PS3 games & Blu Ray movies on PS3.

That core setup will be pretty much everything I need or want in the future, except the Valve exclusive releases for SOS/Steambox. And Like stated above...I already have an extra, albeit aged Asus, DX 10 capable PC that I'll upgrade modestly (Mobo, GPU, CPU) to test drive the new Linux games (& probably Sony PS4 games). While I'll keep my main workhorse upgraded and maxed out on Windows/Xbox & Steam. A little redundant in places. But I'm okay with some overlap. I may even throw a WiiU in the mix somewhere, just to recapture the Nintendo classics & new releases in the system.

Bottom line is the new consoles were major disappointments and yawners for me. And MS' confessions with XB/Win10 integration sort of confesses that scenario. All of the excitement has been on the PC side IMO. With VR threatening to amp that segment up significantly for the next 5-10 years. Ultimately that VR/AR transition will amp up the console side too. But it will always come with an acceptable range of hardware limitations that gamers who prefer consoles are willing to accept. Not so with the PC crowd. Who will always want to hang out on the leading edges of every technology. I don't mean this as any kind of criticism of any format (including Mobile). Because gaming needs them all to be healthy.

So I'll end my brain dump by postulating this. The future of next generation gaming is Valve, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Samsung, FaceBook/Oculus Rift, Intel, NVidia, AMD, Game Developers who push new ideas to new frontiers...and a wide range of others that are too numerous to mention here.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 03-08-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old Today, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
PS: anyone know what happened to the OP...Tyrant11?
Looks like @TyrantII moved on from AVS; still active on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/tyrantii

"We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas." - Agnes Mona Flanders