Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 428 Old 01-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Well they have great web design, that's for sure.

I see a steam controller on one pic.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 428 Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/02/04/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-challenge/5207295/

This article implies that Microsoft's new CEO will have to decide in his first 180 days whether to stay the course on the hardware side & Nokia, or focus on the Enterprise side. If they choose the latter...they could join this fray pretty easily with a Game OS version of Windows 8 without the App bloat...and contain a potential big threat. Unfortunately for Xbox One hopefuls...it suggests they could spin that business unit off. Or at least the hardware side of it. I think the new guy is going to really focus on rejuvenating...rebuilding...rethinking...renewing the PC market from a variety of directions. Most importantly...he, Bill Gates and the Board seem to be zoning in on opening up Windows and other MS Software platforms for a wider audience of usage. But his focus will be squarely on strengthening and defending their PC turf. That could bode well for us...who returned to, or stayed true to our PC roots. As I stated elsewhere in this thread...I hope they just dump the Xbox Console business and develop a kick ass Xbox OS for PC that can be plopped into any PC...including a dedicated SteamBox. Or 3rd Party Xbox. I personally wouldn't touch an Xbox One right now. Even though I'm as avid a Xbox 360 user as there is. I just don't know where MS is going with that business. And PS4 looks like a better console bet right now...Whenever I buy a new console. But no rush on that one for me. I'm happy with Last Gen and PC. I like how Valve is pushing the envelope right now with Steam and VR. But a rejuvenated Microsoft "Software Centric" company could make things really interesting.
post #423 of 428 Old 02-05-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I do not see them dumping the Xbox brand. If they sell that off then why keep Xbox Live around as well since the two go hand and hand with each other. Either way they have some big decisions to make.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #424 of 428 Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

I do not see them dumping the Xbox brand. If they sell that off then why keep Xbox Live around as well since the two go hand and hand with each other. Either way they have some big decisions to make.

I definitely do not think they will dump the Xbox Brand either. But I do believe they are considering very different ways of doing it. Meaning more along the line of what Valve is doing with Steam such as...dedicated OS and Enterprise software and game publishing approach...3rd Party licensing for MS spec'd Hardware...dedicated Cloud for game development and gameplay access & Maintenance through Windows and XBOS...Online retail (XBL) and Partnership links. And who knows what else. I could easily see the new guy taking a very minimalist hardware approach with Win 8 & Xbox tablets and Nokia/Skype phones accessing their platforms & content on a DD only basis.
post #425 of 428 Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Yeah, I don't see that happening at all.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #426 of 428 Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess what I am saying is that I can see the new guy taking this 180 day grace period to challenge all of the assumptions floating around Microsoft right now. And some of those "Sacred Cows" are going to be tossed out. And others will be integrated into a future that he and Bill Gates think will work and extend MS' dominance. Especially in their core businesses of Windows, Office and Enterprise Business platforms. Most of their tinkering IMO will occur with the outlyers that forge stronger links to a web based future they foresee for merging their "Enterprises". Xbox fits into such a vision primarily because of XBL. Windows itself is the dominant platform for it because of IE...Bing...Skype...Nokia...Smartglass...Cloud...Win 8.1...Office 365...Azure...and others.

The allure of drilling much deeper into Households through XBL & XB1 is seriously flawed IMO unless they can serve up something totally new and urgently needed by the marketplace. Such as ala carte programming for ESPN and other "cord cutting" Apps. Perhaps a large ISP provider like Verizon sees this handwriting on the wall. And has already partnered with MS to try this approach through them instead of collapsing their current model. If such an experiment worked MS would retreat totally inot the world of Enterprise software and ala carte programming via XBL on the multimedia side of their business

In a scenario like described...Xbox OS hardware fulfillment would go into exclusive cable boxes, and HTPC platforms like SteamBox with exclusive Enterprise Partners like Dell, Asus and others. I do think MS would continue to link an Xbox into such an ecosystem. But it would be much simpler IMO. Something akin to a XB1/Surface RT tablet that can dock to a properly spec'd Win 8 PC and boot the system hardware to optimum XB functionality. End User PC builders like us could be able to tie in through a Dual Boot Xbox OS SSD or DD as long as we have upgraded to the compatible Windows 8 platform. Bottom line is I think the new guy will return Microsoft to its enterprise roots. And this will be overall good for us PC gamers. Because their OS can be made to work the way we need it faster and better than Linux IMO. They just needed this kick in the butt to get them to open things up. IMO Xbox and Win 8 will be the lead horses in that push.
post #427 of 428 Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/02/18/developers-weigh-in-on-their-plans-for-pc-console-and-mobile-development.aspx

This survey is a bit surprising to me. PC and Mobile seems to be where Developers are planning to sprinkle their Fairy Dust in the future. And by a pretty big margin. If the numbers accurately reflect activity...Valve will be printing money. And the new consoles could just be getting ports from PC. Interesting.
DaverJ likes this.
post #428 of 428 Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/02/18/developers-weigh-in-on-their-plans-for-pc-console-and-mobile-development.aspx

This survey is a bit surprising to me. PC and Mobile seems to be where Developers are planning to sprinkle their Fairy Dust in the future. And by a pretty big margin. If the numbers accurately reflect activity...Valve will be printing money. And the new consoles could just be getting ports from PC. Interesting.
That would make sense. With the new systems having the same architecture build them on the PC and maximize there and then port it over. I would imagine it would be easier to bring things down graphically to the PS4 and Xboxone then to have to redo things to bring it to the PC.
barrelbelly likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page