Gaming HTPC to feed diplays in two areas. Noob needs help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi all. About to start my very first HTPC/ Gaming machine build. It will be in a foyer between my garage and living area, with my computer desk right on the other side of the wall. This part is simple I think, cut a hole through the wall and run necessary cable to the monitor etc at my computer desk.

The part I'm not sure about it send audio and video to the other side of the house to use as a HTPC. In that location, I have a AVR and plasma TV. The receiver can accept HDMI, optical, etc. This is about 30-35ft away from where the PC will be.

The PC I'm building is

Intel 4670k
Asus Z87 plus MOBO
LG blue ray player
MSi Radeon HD7990 video card
Samsung SSD
2TB conventional HDD
8GB Ram
No seperate sound card yet, but may add if needed.

How should I get my audio and video signal to my AVR?

IThe video card has mini DVI ports and I think a display port.

Essentially I want the ability to use the computer at the computer desk, but also the ability to use it from my home theater area.(not at the same time).

Any help would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Looks like the card has 4 mini displayports. You should just have to get a displayport->hdmi adaptor (may have come with card) and then hook the video card up to both locations via HDMI. Just enable one monitor at a time, and you can press "windows"-P to switch between displays (windows will think your switching to a projector, but it doesn't have to be a projector).

HDMI should carry your audio and video and so if that works out it will simplify the process greatly. Otherwise you need to get into how to split audio between the 2 locations and that could be a bit more tricky.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
HDMI over Cat6. Other choice is use an extender, like xbox2pi networked to computer.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
I have a similar setup, you need a few things: a long HDMI cable, a long USB cable/extender, and a powered USB hub.

My HDMI run is 75ft, so 30ft is no problem.

The USB run is for your input devices: IR receiver, Xbox controller, keyboard, whatever. They're all low bandwidth so running to the PC over a single wire isn't an issue. But they do require some amount of power, so by getting a powered USB hub, you can power multiple devices with no problem. I just have a few wireless receivers connected to mine.

The trickiest part tends to be managing the audio. While it's easy enough to mirror the video, you often need to manually choose which device the audio will play on. If you hear no sound, just right click the speaker in the tray, and select the corresponding device as the default.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page