Awaiting my new Asus PQ321Q 4k Monitor Any One Useing One Now ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I picked it up off of new egg going to run it on 3 GeForce Titans for 60Hz goodness.....smile.gif

If anyone has any tips or info on setup or tweeks let me in on them smile.gif

Tj8xp

I like my HDTV but I LOVE My Ferrari !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj8xp View Post

I picked it up off of new egg going to run it on 3 GeForce Titans for 60Hz goodness.....smile.gif

If anyone has any tips or info on setup or tweeks let me in on them smile.gif

Tj8xp

That monitor is not so great and you shouldn't have bought it for gaming. Next year, there will be better ones for a lot less from all the big players in monitors.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I only read good reviews online so I guess we shall see...

I will do a review and video of it in action ........

As far as something better there always is but u got to live life lol....

Tj8xp....biggrin.gif

post #4 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have had the Asus 4k monitor for a bit now sorry for taking a bit to post this mini review... I will try to put some photos up and I hope a Video soon.

The Monitor came packed very well and the stank was easy to install setup ect.

Ok that was the easy stuff.....Now I had a 2x Nvidia Titan Setup to run it. When I first pluged it in it showed post started up no problems.
However it was in 30Hz 3940 X 2160 not 60 Hz

So I went to my properties switched to MST mode and after the Monitor Rebooted I had 4k 60Hz goodness !!!

4k Videos looked really really good nice colors good blacks (not super black but good) and the detail was astounding If you were not a gamer and only wanted this for Videos and Graphics
you are set with this monitor...Now it gets interesting.......

I loaded up Battlefield 4 and 3 and had 40 FPS at max with very high settings.
Next I loaded up Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 It came up as a very small window in center of screen until I set up the Rez and changed settings.
Like battle field I had 52 FPS High Quality setting ect.

I like older games also so I brought up Call Of Duty 2 Black Screen.........................Then after about a 60 to 90 seconds I had that small screen again went to change Rez and
Had a game crash....Any way I tried to set it up in game no dice crash to desktop...

I had to go into my Config Sys to set the Rez to 3840 X 2160 once I did that and set my offset to -1 I was in and all tho the game took 90 seconds to launch it works very good with Steady 60 FPS.....

If your into WOW and Diablo 3 and games like that this 4k SHINES unreal detail and the frame rates are a steady 60 FPS I can't tell you how good they looked !!!!

After I had this working I shut down my PC came back later and turned PC on from a cold boot....No Post no nothing stuck in bios mode 23 on my PC.
I hit restart and still no post but after a bit I was welcomed to the Start Screen.

I tested this a few times on cold boot no dice... I had to ALWAYS hit restart to get computer up and running. I called ASUS the person I talked to had no clue so I tried EVGA.
They said they were aware of the problem and sent me a new V Bios for my Titans once I loaded it I had a Post screen while starting on left side of screen only
but at least it took care of cold start and you can see the bios and work with it.

I started with Windows 8 pro 64bit. However I wanted to see if Windows 8.1 would make anything better ....BIG MISTAKE ! I had Zero luck in getting ANY older game to run on 8.1
Also the new games had strange problems like the screen going black in Battlefield 4 in mid play no less so it was time to get rid of 8.1 for now and reinstall Windows 8

I headed to local Microcenter and I picked up another Titan so I would have 3 way SLi and reinstalled Windows 8 fresh.

Again everything worked as before Frame rates went up to 58 to 60 FPS in most games but again could still go to low 30 FPS with heavy action games like Crysis 3

Overall the Asus 4k Monitor is good...But for now its not ready for the average consumer... If your a power user by all means grab one BUT be ready to go into your Cofing folders and all other kinds of settings to HOPEFULLY get things right and running

Also input lag is high not in the 60 or anything more like 2 or 28 but FPS are not where you need them to be Stick to the Asus 144 Hz Gaming Monitor for high Frags !!

Ok I will try to get some Pictures and a nice video up of it in action My note 3 is supposed to shoot video in 4k we shall see....

Hope I did not boar any of you guys smile.gif

Tj8xp
barrelbelly likes this.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Good Post Tj8xp. And good luck with the setup. I thought about going 4k with a monitor in my build this summer. But I passed on it because I just don't think the technology is ready for prime time yet for anything other than photography and 3D. And I decided that I wanted 3D in VR HT micro display format instead of Big screen HT. That won't be out until 2014 at the earliest. So I decided to just buy an excellent 22" Dell display...with an eye toward adding another identical monitor & GPU over the holidays in a cross fired dual monitor setup. Actually triple display setup when you add the 32" Toshiba 1080p HDTV that will be recessed & elevated behind them.

I was thinking about getting either 2 of the 39" or 1 of the 50" Seiki 4K HDTVs, to try what you are doing. But again...I passed because of price and technical limitations that I read about. Your comments about configuration difficulties and complexity reinforces what most of the technical community says about 4K "right now" for universal applications. Maybe 2-3 years down the road...after much more about 4K has been debugged, priced right and standardized, I'll revisit the idea. especially when game developers start making real 4k games for PC that exploits the advantages of VR. If the 39" Seiki's had been priced more in the $300-$500 range. I may have taken the risk and bought 2 of them to dabble with full 1080p60 gaming, upscaled to 4K on a dual 39" monitor setup. That still sounds awesome to me. But I just don't think the market is heavy upped enough in the support area to warrant a 4k investment. Two years from now though...all bets are off. Especially for PC gaming.

Your comment about Windows 8.1 though opens up an entirely different can of worms IMO. By that I mean MS' reluctance, inability or just plain stubbornness about introducing a purely gaming only version of its OS. One that is tech forward & backwards compatible on PC games from every single PC generation back to at least Win XP. This may only be my fantasy, but I think it should also be backwards compatible to reconfigure, emulate and play all of the games from its past generation consoles (Original Xbox-Xbox 360-XBox Live Arcade). Once they have been formatted to the gaming HDD from the original Xbox game disk or DDL from Xbox Live for Windows site. I understand their reason for not adding Xbox One and new consoles to the mix. But they are walking away from way too much potential IMO by avoiding this. It could actually help them sell their new console and Xbox games to PC users if they could add the Xbox (past) capacity into the Win Gaming OS.

And finally...the windows gaming OS should be completely focused on Hardware & device configuration, internet connectivity, game site interaction for news and patches, developer interaction (Steam/Uplay/Bioware/etc) and fast Boot/ fast Release to regular Windows protocols. Instead of bloating it with a ton of wasteful/system hogging features and apps. If they had such a product ready right now...I suspect you would not have experienced all of the unnecessary difficulties you had with what should have been an effortless startup. If Valve solves this path with SteamOS (a different thread) they could solve a lot of problems. And MS could be hurting if they don't match.

By all means post the pictures or video captures. I'm interested to see what they look like.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Next year, there will be better ones for a lot less from all the big players in monitors.

Can you be more specific in terms of what's coming because it sounds like a generic statement which does not really help unfortunately.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

It would be great to have a gaming OS from Microsoft but its never going to happen.

I will again try to get photos and video tomorrow and post them or post a link to them.

As far as what's coming out who knows he I'm sure is speculating but it makes sense there is ALWAYS new tech around every corner.

For right now 4k 60P Asus only unless you say the Panasonic and soon Sony but the question is will it work with the PC ??????

Tj8xp......smile.gif

post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisnet View Post

Can you be more specific in terms of what's coming because it sounds like a generic statement which does not really help unfortunately.

No, I can't be more specific because there's nothing to tell right now but all the players will be launching 4K monitors with mostly inexpensive panels from Innolux/Chimei and they will continue to make more 31-inch monitors using the Sharp IGZO panels like the new Dell model.
borisnet likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

No, I can't be more specific because there's nothing to tell right now but all the players will be launching 4K monitors with mostly inexpensive panels from Innolux/Chimei and they will continue to make more 31-inch monitors using the Sharp IGZO panels like the new Dell model.

I don't know anything about IGZO, how does it relate to the other panel tech? Anyone have a good condensed comparison or description that will save me the hours of tech reading?

I believe someone said they aren't as fast as the other tech, but that Asus panel was 8ms I think. Nothing wrong with that.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #10 of 10 Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

There are only two panels used in these 32-inch monitors. Both are from Sharp. One is an IGZO panel and the other is an old school silicon LCD panel. IGZO is basically a big improvement on all the areas where LCD hasn't improved: resolution, panel size, refresh rate, power consumption, etc. by using a specific combination of materials to make the transistors used in the panels and it is being used in the new OLED TVs though most of the IGZO displays you will find are on mobile devices at the moment but the tech is making it's way into HDTVs and professional display monitors.
barrelbelly likes this.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page