choosing the best HTPC for GTX 780/TITAN - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I'm building a new HTPC system this days.
I want it to have real high end hardware:

ASUS MAXIMUS VI GENE
INTEL 530 SSD
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM
INTEL I7 4770K
NOCTUA FANS
NVIDIA GTX 780 / 780 TI /TITAN
POWER SUPPLY - ANTEC / CORSAIR

I can't go with normal case because it's have to be in my living room...that's why i need HTPC system.
also ... it's have to be one of the best video card there is...GTX 780 or GTX 780 TI or GTX TITAN.

i don't know what HTPC case to buy. they all seems to be too small to contain the NVIDIA GTX

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-23-2013, 05:00 AM

Liked: 14
Take a look at the Silverstone SG09. Fits my 7970 with room to spare, and the interior actually leaves space for it to cool efficiently on air.

If you're water cooling then I think the Tj08e is a better choice.

Htpc cases in general seem to be overly crowded for high edlnd video cards.Thats why I went with a mATX tower.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
The one I would get is linked below. It houses an extended ATX and can fit video cards up to 13.6 inches in length. The titan is 10.5. It also looks so sweet, IMHO.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=330&area=en

post #4 of 9 Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 26
I'm a little late to the thread, but I built an HTPC with the Silverstone GD08 case and a GTX 770. There was plenty of room. I used a Noctua CPU heat sync/fan and Noctua fans for the bottom fans (hidden in pic)

DaverJ likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Nice build! What's that case like to work with? Good cable management? If I could go back I'd probably use that case for my home theater. Maybe next time.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 216
If you want the best GPU for gaming, then the 780Ti is your choice. It's a fully unlocked GK110 chip. Even the Titan is neutered slightly (Titan has 2688 CUDA cores, 780Ti has 2880). It may only have 3gb of VRAM, but it's still the better performing card for gaming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- All gamertags listed there -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast

- direct pod link

- main website
post #7 of 9 Old 11-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I bought a Lian-Li PC-C60A from Newegg when it was like $90 or something. When I got it, one or two of the motherboard standoffs were corroded so I sent it back and they had no more to replace it. Price went back up after more came in. Now it's impossible to find the silver version and the price everywhere is $180-220. I regret sending it back now. The standoffs were not user replaceable so that's why I initially sent it back. They were riveted or stamped in place somehow. Not the usual screw in types.

I like that case because it's built around 140mm fans I think it holds 3 or 4 of them. I like big fans and I can not lie.

I've never dealt with any horizontal case with a good layout, this one wasn't the best either. The hard drives were mounted in separate racks that was stack on top of each other and attach to a rail that ran across the length of the case. If you wanted to replace one that happened to be at the bottom you would have to take them all out first to get to it.

I don't think it's possible to design a good case with horizontal position. No matter what you do it's going to suck to work in it.

I'm probably going to buy that case again, but now I have to pay the $200 instead, and it seems like only the black one is available.

Newegg doesn't sell it anymore either, so you have to find it elsewhere, but they still have the link and pics/info up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112330

Actually never mind all that, I think it's just shy of 11" of space for the card. So 780 won't even fit in that case.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #8 of 9 Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
You can buy a Steiger Dynamics case, they are pricey but you can fit a few rads in them if you are into watercooling.

http://www.steigerdynamics.com/

Are you using this for gaming mostly I assume? You really dont need an i7 for gaming. Get an i5 and boost the GPU to the 780Ti.

Silverstone seem like great cases for HTPC as I have built one for my father-in-law and it was a really nice case, very solid. The other reasonably priced case I would consider would be the Fractal Design Node 605.

Here is a article that Tomshardware makes every month reviewing CPUs and their benchmarks for games.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

There really is no reason to go higher than an i5 3570k unless you are also doing some rendering tasks.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #9 of 9 Old 11-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Nice build! What's that case like to work with? Good cable management? If I could go back I'd probably use that case for my home theater. Maybe next time.

Cable management is ok. There is a "box" near one corner of the chassis, opposite the power supply, where you can neatly store extra lengths of cable. However, I still ended up getting creative with some of the runs on the other side of the chassis.

Wow, that Steiger Dynamics case is hawt! I was trying to build a liquid-cooled HTP at first, but could not figure out a way to squeeze in the rad(s). That case would have been tempting if I had known about it, but it's crazy expensive. The case and cooling costs more than my entire rig!
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page