The official AVS "PC Game Console" thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Bitcoins are now worth over 1000 USD each. And no, they're nothing like MS points. This is a virtual peer-to-peer currency that can be 'mined' using GPU acceleration. AMD's cards just happen to be better at the calculations needed for that.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Had not considered that one. Aren't Bitcoins the same or similar to MS points that were used on Xbox 360? Why are AMD cards good for it?

No no, not at all, aside from the fact it's a virtual currency. It would take far too long to explain it, and I only even barely understand it, But the point for this is that to GET bitcoins, you either buy them (and the current value for 1 bitcoin is $958 - holy hell!), or you use your PC as a work horse to "mine" them. I'm really not sure how it all works, but AMD cards in crossfire setups seem to be much better for it, so they're in high demand which is driving prices up.

I looked into it a little bit but meh, I'm too lazy to even try it lol

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I dont really get bitcoins either. I saw a little history on it once and I understand that the FBI is trying to shut down markets for them.

I just have a hard time seeing how it works because you basically are doing nothing to get them and then you sell them for money? Seems fishy to me. Sure the price for them is attractive cause the current price is more than what I make in 2 weeks of work....it just seems fishy to me.
barrelbelly likes this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I dont really get bitcoins either. I saw a little history on it once and I understand that the FBI is trying to shut down markets for them.

I just have a hard time seeing how it works because you basically are doing nothing to get them and then you sell them for money? Seems fishy to me. Sure the price for them is attractive cause the current price is more than what I make in 2 weeks of work....it just seems fishy to me.

Pretty much. It basically undermines government control of currency, so yeah, I bet the FBI isn't a huge fan. smile.gif

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I thought there was a limited quantity of bitcoins. I did some research a while back. I don't know if you can still get them if you wanted to mine for it.

But if it's still a possibility, mining just one for $1000 has to be worth it, right? Who's going to buy it though?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I thought there was a limited quantity of bitcoins. I did some research a while back. I don't know if you can still get them if you wanted to mine for it.

But if it's still a possibility, mining just one for $1000 has to be worth it, right? Who's going to buy it though?

The problem is it takes a LOT of horsepower and time to even mine a full coin. that's why you see see people using fractionals of the currency. To be effective at mining, you'd need to be in a group of miners.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a limited number, but you can also still mine for them for now.

I think it's a huge bubble waiting to burst as soon as there's another successful hack of something like Mt Gox (one of the largest Bitcoin markets). When a group of people can so easily artificially manipulate prices, it seems to be destined to crash and burn.

Worst though is all the copycats now that it's worth so much. There's not just Bitcoin these days, but Litecoin and a million other alternatives, including ridiculous ones like Dogecoin and Coinye.
JustaSheep likes this.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

There is a limited number, but you can also still mine for them for now.

I think it's a huge bubble waiting to burst as soon as there's another success hack of something like Mt Gox. When a group of people can so easily artificially manipulate prices, it seems to be destined to crash and burn.

Worst though is all the copycats now that it's worth so much. There's not just Bitcoin these days, but Litecoin and a million other alternatives, including ridiculous ones like Dogecoin and Coinye.

Yeah, it has bubble written all over it. But man, if I had bought/mined a few bitcoins back when I first heard about it, I'd be stupid rich right now.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:

I bet that is more cosmetic slight of hand than real serious shutdown effort. It wouldn't surprise me if big global security nets aren't behind this. Just to lure the "off grid" rogue targets into it. Just to snag or intercept them. But I do at least get the run up on the HD 7870 now Marafice Eye. Especially when you throw in copycats like the ones mentioned by jhoff80. Intriguing stuff. Here I am...just trying to modify a game PC. And I'm confounded by unknown sources creating an off the grid decentralized global banking system using the same hardware! mad.gif
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont know how active they are. But I do know that they did shut down atleast one store that was selling items for bitcoin.

The best way I could describe it is that bitcoin is like a stock that is used to buy other items because there is no fixed value.

So it would be like me going to a store and saying, "i'll give you my stock in Google for this AVR+cash"

I dont know how accurate that is but that's kinda how I interpret it in my brain.
barrelbelly likes this.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I dont know how active they are. But I do know that they did shut down atleast one store that was selling items for bitcoin.

You may be thinking of Silk Road, which was such a store that used only Bitcoin. But I think that was because they sold drugs, weapons, and other illegal things.

Steam: TeflonSoul
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonSoul View Post

You may be thinking of Silk Road, which was such a store that used only Bitcoin. But I think that was because they sold drugs, weapons, and other illegal things.

You seem to know a lot about this.... wink.gif

Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

haha, that might have been it, the name sounds familiar.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It was learned just from news reports.

(Yes, I know you're kidding.)

Steam: TeflonSoul
Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing that's bothering me more and more lately compared to a console is how many games mix in their online communication with the rest of the audio. I know that there are solutions like TeamSpeak and Ventrilo, but that's not an option depending on the game you're playing, or if you're playing with strangers. (Example, in DayZ you really need to be able to communicate quickly with anyone who shows up in your immediate surrounding area).

So you either get all game audio played over your headset including the communication, or you get all of it played back over the speakers/surround system. I've never had a PS3 or PS4, so I'm not sure if Sony handles it the same way (I would assume so), but Microsoft does this far better on Xbox by letting you choose separately. Seems like it'd be a simple switch for developers to implement in PC games, but not many seem to think that's something important.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I wish I knew about it sooner. Just found about it after it was shut down. tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Ever wake up on a Friday...and feel you somehow completely missed Wednesday and Thursday? That's how I feel on this "Bitcoin" dustup.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/us-government-hauls-in-dollar27-million-bitcoin-bonanza
Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Ever wake up on a Friday...and feel you somehow completely missed Wednesday and Thursday? That's how I feel on this "Bitcoin" dustup.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/us-government-hauls-in-dollar27-million-bitcoin-bonanza

Yup - totally missed the boat. For what it's worth there's money to be made with all the other cryptocurrencies on the market at the moment. The number 2 and 3 coins look especially promising. ( litecoin and Peercoin ) - with better prospects for longevity. I myself just bought 500.00 worth of lite coin, and am in the process of selling my 680gtx to put the money towards a dual 280x AMD setup for mining coin. The rigs pay forthemselves in about 3 months, a bit less, after that it's just gravy.. AND if the value spikes the way it did with Bitcoin, you're laughing. Bitcoin is impossible to mine now, and I think it's prospects for the future aren't near as good as the one and two coin for various reasons. But if you're interested look into a litecoin rig - I think there's still time to make a lot of money of this thing.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Who wants to start a "PC Cryptocurrencies thread" so this one can get back to console-style PC gaming? redface.gif
barrelbelly and JustaSheep like this.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Who wants to start a "PC Cryptocurrencies thread" so this one can get back to console-style PC gaming? redface.gif

I don't! But in fairness I'll try to atone for my sins Daver. biggrin.gif So here goes.

BD2003 posted this link in the Valve thread in response to a pov I had expressed about modular PC making.

http://www.razerzone.com/press/detail/press-releases/razer-re-invents-gaming-desktops-with-the-worlds-most-modular-pc-concept-design

I love that design and approach Razer took. And I sure hope more PC makers like Apple...Dell...HP and others adopt it. It would really help the newbies build from a less intimidating platform. The major parts suppliers like ASUS...AMD...NVidia...Gigabit...XFX...could also enter the fray by making easy to plug/Dock external modules. And making the case/Docking station more like the MOBO. Designs like this opens up exciting possibilities for PC IMO.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 342
There is a guy from my work who has been mining 2 years, he sold all his bitcoins when they hit $1000 US and made over $340,000 from all his different coins !!!! He was using a rig I put together for him for mining ( with all my parts) and is buying my next system free and clear (up to 5K... haswell E baby!) smile.gif He'g got 12 systems running from 8 different locations, mining all sorts of different coins. I just recently got my mining rig built and he's setting it up as we speak. I'm not looking to get rich but I'll gladly take some extra $ for fun stuff!

Edit, he's been mining for over 2 years.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

There is a guy from my work who has been mining 2 years, he sold all his bitcoins when they hit $1000 US and made over $340,000 from all his different coins !!!! He was using a rig I put together for him for mining ( with all my parts) and is buying my next system free and clear (up to 5K... haswell E baby!) smile.gif He'g got 12 systems running from 8 different locations, mining all sorts of different coins. I just recently got my mining rig built and he's setting it up as we speak. I'm not looking to get rich but I'll gladly take some extra $ for fun stuff!

Edit, he's been mining for over 2 years.

Right on! - I'm going to start a thread so we don't get this off topic here to much more...
DaverJ likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Well to kinda get this back on topic, is there anyone planning to build more of a gaming server as a result of SteamOS and Steam-Streaming?

I have one of the biggest computer cases available that can hold 4x360 rads and do 3 way SLI. I can also add pedestals and extended tops to expand on it's HDD capacity or water cooling abilities. So I am thinking that when I can afford doing it I will get that computer fully loaded up and stuff it in a closet for server side computing and then have some smaller quiet gaming PCs throughout the rest of the house for streaming.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I have one of the biggest computer cases available that can hold 4x360 rads and do 3 way SLI. I can also add pedestals and extended tops to expand on it's HDD capacity or water cooling abilities.
Do you have the HAF Stacker?

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Even bigger,

Caselabs M8
Great case. cool.gif

Would love to build in a CaseLabs cube, post pics when you finish your build.

P.S. Don't hide it in a closet, CaseLabs enclosures should be on display for everyone to see.

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post

Great case. cool.gif

Would love to build in a CaseLabs cube, post pics when you finish your build.

P.S. Don't hide it in a closet, CaseLabs enclosures should be on display for everyone to see.

Yea it's the nicest case I have ever built in. There is so much space without the pedestal or top that you can literally not know how to use all the space.

I have a really nice plan for it though, just not the funds at the moment.

My main plan for it is to actually have a wall mounted desk with it underneath in a way that is on display but also a bit more discrete.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Did you guys see this thing? currently on sale for $1999 and can hold 2 pc's.... looks cool but I'd personally like one that hold one. How many people have 2 pc's side by side? Not to many.

DaverJ likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you guys see this thing? currently on sale for $1999 and can hold 2 pc's.... looks cool but I'd personally like one that hold one. How many people have 2 pc's side by side? Not to many.

Not a bad Idea for a streamer. Gaming PC and streaming PC in one desk.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:

Get with the times nate! That thing is yesteryears news. tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)