The official AVS "PC Game Console" thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #571 of 587 Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Here is John Romero's take on the future of PC versus Consoles. I discount what he said about VR. Because, like one of the commenters said. That was just a cheap shot at John Carmack. He really didn't have a very coherent framework for his remarks IMO.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...er-john-romero
What say you?
barrelbelly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #572 of 587 Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
The official AVS "PC Game Console" thread

Man, nvidia needs to stop playing around, and release PC drivers for this controller.

http://shield.nvidia.com/wireless-game-controller/

Its got all the buttons you'd need to play a game. And a few extra that would come in handy for controlling a PC. Built in touchpad. A headphone jack. Even a built in microphone.

The Xbox 360/one controller needs more buttons and a touchpad. The dual shock 4 needs more buttons and definitely needs native PC drivers instead of these garbage wrappers. The steam controller is a radical departure that basically requires games to be designed specially for it. But this nvidia controller looks absolutely perfect in every way for gaming on a PC today....and the only way to use it right now is to stream through a tablet that nobody wants. Sigh!
DaverJ likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #573 of 587 Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,980
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 186
$300 for the last gen samsung pro 512g SSD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-20147194-L0C


discount code: EMCPBHB23


Too bad I bought the mx100 already, I would have jumped on this one. Still tempting.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #574 of 587 Old 08-28-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
$300 for the last gen samsung pro 512g SSD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-20147194-L0C


discount code: EMCPBHB23


Too bad I bought the mx100 already, I would have jumped on this one. Still tempting.
I'd hold out....I picked up a 1TB EVO for $370. I don't think a pro would do anything for games.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #575 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Member
 
JustaSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I'd hold out....I picked up a 1TB EVO for $370. I don't think a pro would do anything for games.
Hello All,

Is there an updated version of this thread around, particularly post 2 and the parts list suggestions? I have a friend looking to build a mid-to-high gaming rig and figured there might be a new one around.

Also, are there any significant changes on the near horizon worth waiting for?

Thanks!

Sheep
JustaSheep is offline  
post #576 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
Hello All,

Is there an updated version of this thread around, particularly post 2 and the parts list suggestions? I have a friend looking to build a mid-to-high gaming rig and figured there might be a new one around.

Also, are there any significant changes on the near horizon worth waiting for?

Thanks!

Sheep
Recently games have been demanding a lot of VRAM and highly threaded CPUs, and I dont expect to change going forward. Fortunately your coming into this just after lots of new parts have released so now's a decent time to buy. The only video cards I'd even remotely consider right now are the geforce 9 series with 4GB of VRAM, and I'm now convinced that the extra cash spent towards an i7 instead of an i5 is worthwhile. If you're really looking to build something high end ($1500-2000), then definitely spring for the i7-5820K and the X99 platform - you'll get a full 6 and 12 threads, and while the CPU itself isnt any more expensive than the top end unlocked i7, the x99 motherboard and ddr4 memory will cost another few hundred bucks.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #577 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
elockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
Hello All,

Is there an updated version of this thread around, particularly post 2 and the parts list suggestions? I have a friend looking to build a mid-to-high gaming rig and figured there might be a new one around.

Also, are there any significant changes on the near horizon worth waiting for?

Thanks!

Sheep
Here's an interesting advance in mobile video processors: http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/07/nv...ming-desktops/

I'm not sure I'd go the laptop route myself but it would be interesting to see this chip in a Intel NUC.

Concerning the article, when the writer refers to near desktop performance, I wonder how near? GTX-760-770, or I am I being too generous?
elockett is offline  
post #578 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Recently games have been demanding a lot of VRAM and highly threaded CPUs, and I dont expect to change going forward. Fortunately your coming into this just after lots of new parts have released so now's a decent time to buy. The only video cards I'd even remotely consider right now are the geforce 9 series with 4GB of VRAM, and I'm now convinced that the extra cash spent towards an i7 instead of an i5 is worthwhile. If you're really looking to build something high end ($1500-2000), then definitely spring for the i7-5820K and the X99 platform - you'll get a full 6 and 12 threads, and while the CPU itself isnt any more expensive than the top end unlocked i7, the x99 motherboard and ddr4 memory will cost another few hundred bucks.
I was actually just reading that Shadow of Mordor requires 6GB of VRAM for its ultra-HD texture pack too, which seems crazy to me. There isn't even a GTX 980 with that much VRAM, you basically would need a Titan Black.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is online now  
post #579 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,059
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Gamers don't really need that much VRAM. The problem is is that there are a small handful of games that are very poorly optimized and then require such hardware for those settings. SoM looks pretty good but not 'needs triple the VRAM' type graphics.

Lazy developers.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #580 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Member
 
JustaSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I was actually just reading that Shadow of Mordor requires 6GB of VRAM for its ultra-HD texture pack too, which seems crazy to me. There isn't even a GTX 980 with that much VRAM, you basically would need a Titan Black.
Yeah, I would expect to need more vram to run UHD/4k, but 6GB is out of reach for 99.99% of the market.
JustaSheep is offline  
post #581 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Gamers don't really need that much VRAM. The problem is is that there are a small handful of games that are very poorly optimized and then require such hardware for those settings. SoM looks pretty good but not 'needs triple the VRAM' type graphics.

Lazy developers.

I dunno if I'd call it lazy, but they're clearly targeting next gen consoles and doing away with stuff like texture streaming that allowed them to get away with less VRAM. Most PCs still need that kinda thing for now, but video cards will adjust to the change very quickly.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #582 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
Yeah, I would expect to need more vram to run UHD/4k, but 6GB is out of reach for 99.99% of the market.

Resolution actually doesn't even have that much to do with it, the frame buffer only grows by a few hundred MB. Now that 970s are 4GB I'm sure the 980 ti will be 6GB.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #583 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 218
And PC Gamer did a comparison of the standard textures and the Ultra HD textures for Shadow of Mordor (the ones that need 6gb of VRAM) almost un-noticable difference

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is online now  
post #584 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,059
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Exactly.

Had a game used 6gb of VRAM for textures that were really worth it it would look crazy detailed. Nothing short of mods for games like Skyrim do that and even those barely tip the 3gig region.

SoM looks pretty good but not that good.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #585 of 587 Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MSmith83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 62
One selling point for future GPU tech like Nvidia's Pascal architecture is unified memory, which just might be the start of putting an end to GPU-specific memory requirements/recommendations. That would be nice, but we would still need system memory that could keep up in bandwidth/latency.

Last edited by MSmith83; 10-09-2014 at 12:48 AM.
MSmith83 is offline  
post #586 of 587 Old 10-09-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
One selling point for future GPU tech like Nvidia's Pascal architecture is unified memory, which just might be the start of putting an end to GPU-specific memory requirements/recommendations. That would be nice, but we would still need system memory that could keep up in bandwidth/latency.

There's a way around that...just put some CPU cores on the GPU.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #587 of 587 Old 10-10-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kimeran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
If you can find one the GTX 970 is pretty much the best bang for your buck GPU right now.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

 

Steam: madbrayniak

Kimeran is offline  
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off