post #181 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post

I have not considered building a gaming pc. I have never seen the inside of a computer. If i were to build a gaming pc, besides bolting down the "guts", does everything plug into each other, such as motherboard, video card,
fan etc???

Slim chassis is important to me because i would like my gaming pc to fit in with my components. My needs at least right now, not knowing anything is simply to turn on and start playing after navigating windows with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

How does the computer know you are using a gamepad versus a mouse and keyboard?? I would like to play star wars the old republic, is that too old a game to be played with a gamepad??

Is there a website that shows a gaming pc build?? so i can get an idea of what is involved??

Thank-you so much for responding to me, as i am warming up to the idea of gaming on a pc, and not a console.

Basically everything plugs in to the only place where it fits. Nowadays there's a lot less ways to screw it up than a decade ago, and almost anything you can do wrong isn't permanent. There's a ton of guides out there on how to build a PC, perhaps someone can recommend a good starter one.

The PC just detects the gamepad. Steam (the primary service to get PC games) is crystal clear about which games support controllers, and there's even an xbox-like interface that you can navigate completely with the controller. I doubt old republic will work though, even recent bioware games don't support the xbox controller. They're kind of the odd man out though, 99% of console ports since 2008 or so have full xbox 360 controller support.

Quote:

With a video card say a nivida geforce 660, there is an hdmi output. Does sound come from this as well?

If not, are there any sound cards with hdmi output?

Would like to have video and sound through a single hdmi connection

Yes, definitely.  

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:

I have not considered building a gaming pc. I have never seen the inside of a computer. If i were to build a gaming pc, besides bolting down the "guts", does everything plug into each other, such as motherboard, video card,
fan etc???

Slim chassis is important to me because i would like my gaming pc to fit in with my components. My needs at least right now, not knowing anything is simply to turn on and start playing after navigating windows with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

How does the computer know you are using a gamepad versus a mouse and keyboard?? I would like to play star wars the old republic, is that too old a game to be played with a gamepad??

Is there a website that shows a gaming pc build?? so i can get an idea of what is involved??

Thank-you so much for responding to me, as i am warming up to the idea of gaming on a pc, and not a console.

Quote:

With a video card say a nivida geforce 660, there is an hdmi output. Does sound come from this as well?

If not, are there any sound cards with hdmi output?

Would like to have video and sound through a single hdmi connection

If you are a console player thinking of building a gaming PC, I would suggest reading the Q&A in the first post of this thread (quick link in my sig).

Building a PC isn't hard, but it does require willingness and a bit of patience. Basically, you buy all the parts you want (suggestions in post #2 of this thread) and plug them all together. If you take it slow and research ahead of time, most people won't have a problem. There's plenty of videos on youtube that show how a PC goes together - for example, this one. I would say the trickiest part, or maybe the most intimidating, is the CPU + cooler - not hard, but not as easy as just inserting a video card or plugging a cable into something.

Most modern games know if you are using a gamepad or mouse/kb and switch on the fly. Some require going into options to change control method. Some older games have bad gamepad support though, which can be frustrating. The older Bioware games, for example (you mentioned swtor), were designed for keyboard and do not have built-in gamepad support. You can get gamepad support by running a 3rd party program, but it can be hit-or-miss as to if it controls like a console. A game like that has a lot of keyboard buttons to bind to gamepad, so it makes it tricky, but if you are determined, it can be done.

That said, almost all games released in the last couple years are very gamepad aware and have good to great built-in support.

And yes, both multichannel sound and video come from the HDMI port on the video card - it's as easy as that.
post #183 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

elockett, if you think thos graphics are impressive you should get Skyrim and install some of the graphics mods!

It's definitely on my to-do list at some point. In the near term however I'm going to have fun re-visiting (and in several cases visiting for the first time) some oldies but goodies such as the Mass Effect trilogy, Bioshock (I've never got around to BS2 or Infinite), Borderlands (which I never played) etc.

Indeed, I'm just starting to scratch the surface of all the gaming goodness available on PC (at ridiculously good prices too-at least relative to console media prices).
post #184 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

So, got my XBO hooked up (although I don't have a set of L/R audio cables like I thought I did...) It's hooked up via HDMI->DVI to my main monitor and audio (will be) fed through a Toslink to L/R converter. It's a bit of a jury-rigging, but I like the system so far. I say again I was not planning to get one until Halo 5, but it was too good a deal. (System + Forza 5 for under $400). So far, Forza is fun, (though it should be better with sound once I get an audio cable tomorrow lol.

Would I choose it over a PC? Absolutely not. PC will always be first choice, but it's not a bad system. The Kinect is MUCH improved over the old one... MUCH MUCH improved.

I hear you ME: I've really enjoyed the Halo series and I'm tentatively looking forward to 5 (or possibly not if Cortana doesn't return-analogous to taking the jelly out of the PBJ sandwich-eatable but not nearly as good wink.gif ) but as I stated previously I had to take a hard look at the justification of a XBO purchase (even discounted) for a single, pending game. I've examined the released and pending exclusive titles for XBO and honestly, I just don't see anything I have to have.

When Halo 5 is released if it's really well received perhaps I can figure out a way to rent a XBO and the game to experience it temporarily. Of course this could all change if more compelling XBO titles are released in the meantime.

Eric
post #185 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I to am finding it frustrating with these new consoles, Xbox one and PS4. I am thinking of getting an alienware x51 as i like the slim chassis.Also looking at ibuypower revolt gaming pc. But am lost as to what is a great graphics card, 3d capable, good speed, good handling so i don't have noticeable lag and if i can use an xbox style controller to play my games as i have no interest in using a keyboard and mouse when playing games in my theater.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance???

I know absolutely nothing about pc gaming.

FWIW, up to a couple of weeks ago I didn't know anything about PC gaming either. Like you I prefer xbox-style controllers for most games. If you encounter games that support keyboard/mouse only you may want to try xpadder. I'm using it now for Mass Effect and overall it works very well for nominal cost. It's ability to easily create custom controller profiles per-game is also a major plus.

Eric
post #186 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Borderlands (which I never played) etc.

The first Borderlands is very good, but skip it and go straight to the criminally-cheap and so-good Borderlands 2. Plays great on PC with gamepad, or mouse/kb if you prefer. Plenty of awesome DLC to keep you entertained for a long time.
post #187 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

You can play Mass Effect now again "for the first time", wait a year, then upgrade to a 3D display and play for the 3rd time for the first time. biggrin.gif Thats how it was for me anyway.

Though I have a 3D capable display (3D wasn't a factor for purchasing it), I doubt I'll be dabbling with it in the near-term for a couple of reasons:
1: I wear prescription glasses and find wearing the 3D pair over them cumbersome.
2: If my current experience with ME on a 2D display is typical of what I can expect from other games, I'm very satisfied with the 3D effect it produces now. It's an effect that starts at the plane of the display and projects backwards. The closest analogy I can give to the look of it is that of displays that refresh at higher multiples of 60hz and produce the "soap opera effect" (SOE) for movies. I don't like SOE for film but it appears to work well for games (for me anyway).

Eric
post #188 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

The first Borderlands is very good, but skip it and go straight to the criminally-cheap and so-good Borderlands 2. Plays great on PC with gamepad, or mouse/kb if you prefer. Plenty of awesome DLC to keep you entertained for a long time.

Is there a storyline that relates the two? I appreciate your advice and I'm leaning toward it but I want to ensure that there is no interesting Borderlands storyline that starting with BL2 would drop me in the middle of, so-to-speak.

Eric
post #189 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is there a storyline that relates the two? I appreciate your advice and I'm leaning toward it but I want to ensure that there is no interesting Borderlands storyline that starting with BL2 would drop me in the middle of, so-to-speak.

Eric

There's a story, but I wouldn't call it interesting.

post #190 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Though I have a 3D capable display (3D wasn't a factor for purchasing it), I doubt I'll be dabbling with it in the near-term for a couple of reasons:
1: I wear prescription glasses and find wearing the 3D pair over them cumbersome.
2: If my current experience with ME on a 2D display is typical of what I can expect from other games, I'm very satisfied with the 3D effect it produces now. It's an effect that starts at the plane of the display and projects backwards. The closest analogy I can give to the look of it is that of displays that refresh at higher multiples of 60hz and produce the "soap opera effect" (SOE) for movies. I don't like SOE for film but it appears to work well for games (for me anyway).

Eric

Hehe I think you're experiencing good ol fashioned 60fps gaming for the first time. Welcome to PC gaming.

Once you get used to it, it's really hard to go back.

post #191 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

I hear you ME: I've really enjoyed the Halo series and I'm tentatively looking forward to 5 (or possibly not if Cortana doesn't return-analogous to taking the jelly out of the PBJ sandwich-eatable but not nearly as good wink.gif ) but as I stated previously I had to take a hard look at the justification of a XBO purchase (even discounted) for a single, pending game. I've examined the released and pending exclusive titles for XBO and honestly, I just don't see anything I have to have.

When Halo 5 is released if it's really well received perhaps I can figure out a way to rent a XBO and the game to experience it temporarily. Of course this could all change if more compelling XBO titles are released in the meantime.

Eric

I'm pretty sure Halo 5 is coming to Xbox One and Xbox 360. I recently read about that in an article or interview someplace. I'll try to find the link. If so the Xbox 360 version will likely be a 3-4 disk job like Mass Effect Trilogy. I personally don't mind this. Changing disks is completely irrelevant. If I want better, I'll just load it on my HDD and play from there. The bigger issue to me is the one you stated. The Cortana puzzle. I'm pretty sure Cortana will be reintegrated into the storyline in some fashion. But the game won't play the same without her. On second thought...Halo ODST was very enjoyable to me without Master Chief or Cortana. So I'll just have to see. I think no way MS launches Halo 5 without participation from its 65 million plus Xbox 360 install base. Could be suicide for Xbox One and Halo if they did. The 1-2 million XB1 early adopters are not nearly enough to make Halo 5 a successful launch.
post #192 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hehe I think you're experiencing good ol fashioned 60fps gaming for the first time. Welcome to PC gaming.

Once you get used to it, it's really hard to go back.

I don't think it's just the refresh rate. Compared to ME on the Xbox360 the PC is delivering some serious DSP effects that were not available to configure on the 360 (AA, texture, lighting, etc.). I know for a fact I'm seeing far more detail in all environment objects and superior lighting effects. IMS, the Xbox360 was set for my monitor's native 1920x1080p resolution and I think (but don't remember for sure) that it refreshed at 60hz (or not-who knows for sure if it actually delivered it in practice). What I do know is that I'm loving the images on ME and can't wait to see it on other titles. biggrin.gif

Eric
post #193 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

On second thought...Halo ODST was very enjoyable to me without Master Chief or Cortana. So I'll just have to see. I think no way MS launches Halo 5 without participation from its 65 million plus Xbox 360 install base. Could be suicide for Xbox One and Halo if they did. The 1-2 million XB1 early adopters are not nearly enough to make Halo 5 a successful launch.

I agree about ODST. It's strange: ODST was a lot of fun but very, lonely from a playback perspective at the same time. I suspect the loneliness aspect was by design and it worked beautifully. It was a very different Halo experience to not have the superior armor protection of a Spartan plus no support from anyone else through most of the game.

Eric
post #194 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eric

Yep, there's a plot in the first Borderlands that's often referenced and given a shoutout in BL2, so if that would bug you you might want to start with the first game. But know that, even though the two games play similar, there are so many little improvements in the second game that it makes a very good experience near-perfect.
post #195 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I think I liked the first Borderlands a little more. I liked the guns better and the game just had a charm to it that the second missed in taking things the extra mile. They're both very good games though.

And yes, there are a lot of nods to the characters of the first borderlands in the second.
post #196 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Eric

2: Im talking about a holodeck-like experience lol, the world being laid out at your feet, extending out into the horizon, with every single pixel laid out in the proper position on the 3rd dimension. Realistic motion very different, which is also nice btw (and i agree, not for film) and hopefully they will build in zero-latency SOE into gaming monitors with OLED. FYI: all reviews of the Oculus Rift by long time 3D Vision users so far have said that 3D Vision gives a much better experience and not just because of the Dev kit's current low resolution.

There are likely other brands of glasses that work better with your glasses, many brands are made with them in mind.
post #197 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I enjoyed the first Borderlands more, as well. At least the time played on my steam stats says so. I don't know why, but I just couldn't spend as much time in the 2nd. It also might be because I didn't have nearly as many games to play at the time I was playing the first.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #198 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an observation:

If comments on the Console threads are predictive...I don't think it looks very good for any of the new launches after the initial early adopter burst. It seems to me that most of the comments for PS4 are about technical issues that don't exist with PS3. And the conversation is just mostly PS3 kind of conversation without the passion. Xbox One is a whole different animal. The conversation there is just flat out confusing to me now. It's mostly about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with gaming. "Xbox On" Harmony remote kind of issues with AVRs...PVR type issues...OTA type issues...and on and on. When the discussion is about gaming...it's nothing rich or substantive like the older/closed Xbox Next Generation thread. It reads like comrades in denial about a below average experience delivery versus expectations. IMO...this is not good or healthy for gaming. Especially after the Nintendo WiiU disappointment. Hopes live eternal with the robust futures projected for PC and Mobile gaming in 2016 & beyond. But I think both Sony and Microsoft were negligent with their most loyal customers (early adopters) by prematurely pushing "not ready" products into the marketplace with extremely weak game inventories and zero backward compatibility. I don't have a dog in the next gen console fight yet. And won't for a very long time based on what I am reading. But the following example illustrates why I am generally disappointed with both new console launches.

In the PC area we are gushing over the huge Steam/Amazon/other retail library of great holiday game sales. All while we eagerly await a bevy of "real" Next Generation gaming technology launches in 2014. On the console threads everyone is relegated to talking about Forza 5, BF4 (unoptimized), KillZone and a very slim list of others. I don't sense or see a phenomenon with anything happening in the console space. My real point is this. We NEED these consoles to be successful to help sustain growth in the wonderful industry we all enjoy. I desperately wanted to buy an Xbox One on day one. But it just didn't deliver the goods for me. Maybe they will seriously upgrade it in a few years. And add features that matter to me. But I'm not holding my breadth on it.
post #199 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 234
I'm liking the XBO so far (only have Forza 5, but liking that a lot as well) But I'll only get to use it one more day before it has to be RMA'd... Disc drive is borked (Forza 5 was a digital download thankfully), and I have to send it in, ugh. Shipping is at least free, but that's not much consolation (har har...) considering I'm without my XBO for 2 weeks... Thankfully I have a catalog of games on my PC spanning nearly 30 years that I can play at a moments notice *cough* >.> biggrin.gif

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #200 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

I'm liking the XBO so far (only have Forza 5, but liking that a lot as well) But I'll only get to use it one more day before it has to be RMA'd... Disc drive is borked (Forza 5 was a digital download thankfully), and I have to send it in, ugh. Shipping is at least free, but that's not much consolation (har har...) considering I'm without my XBO for 2 weeks... Thankfully I have a catalog of games on my PC spanning nearly 30 years that I can play at a moments notice *cough* >.> biggrin.gif

That's my point Eye. All I'm reading about are crashes...breakdowns...horrific download times...Kinect commands...gimped resolutions and only 1 or 2 games. All of this stuff was avoidable. And I'm not just harassing the XB1. Because Sony is pretty much the same. We need those companies to be better than that. Early adopting should be a no brainer for 50% of both install bases. I should have been one. I'm chagrined that I'm sitting here disenchanted with what I see and hear. The only reason I'm not flat out angry is because of my much prettier new girlfriend...Gaming PC.
post #201 of 587 Old 12-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Heh, the Kinect has worked fairly well for me and I like it far better than the old one... good lord that one was awful. But yeah, Forza was a 31.76gb download (and granted I could start playing at 10% downloaded) it took HOURS to download. where as 10 days ago I downloaded AC4 from Uplay (23gb) and it took an hour and a half, not 3 times that. I have 55Mbit down, USE IT!

And then of course is the whole disc drive issue, that's just ridiculous. and as I said, I'm out my XBO for at minimum 2 weeks while they either fix it, or decide to send me a new one. I WAS excited to play it, and indeed I am liking Forza 5, but overall a bit disappointed. If I hadn't gotten a good deal on it, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #202 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
And then of course is the whole disc drive issue, that's just ridiculous. and as I said, I'm out my XBO for at minimum 2 weeks while they either fix it, or decide to send me a new one. I WAS excited to play it, and indeed I am liking Forza 5, but overall a bit disappointed. If I hadn't gotten a good deal on it, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Forza 5 is the only thing making me jealous of XBone owners. I spent countless hours on Forza 4. Why are you a bit disappointed with it? I am definitely disappointed that they decided to not make current wheels compatible with the new system. I decided to get a G27 and do PC racing instead. So far I have only tested the Assetto Corsa early release with it but damn do the cars ever handle well! I also reverse mounted the pedals, so it's really, really nice.

post #203 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Forza 5 is the only thing making me jealous of XBone owners. I spent countless hours on Forza 4. Why are you a bit disappointed with it? I am definitely disappointed that they decided to not make current wheels compatible with the new system. I decided to get a G27 and do PC racing instead. So far I have only tested the Assetto Corsa early release with it but damn do the cars ever handle well! I also reverse mounted the pedals, so it's really, really nice.

Forza 5 is so much fun, but we're probably taking this thread a little off topic as we're discussing a specific game and not the system itself lol.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #204 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This article on a British console gaming site is worth checking out:
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/2179025/is_pc_a_better_bet_than_ps4_xbox_one.html
elockett likes this.
post #205 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

It's definitely on my to-do list at some point. In the near term however I'm going to have fun re-visiting (and in several cases visiting for the first time) some oldies but goodies such as the Mass Effect trilogy, Bioshock (I've never got around to BS2 or Infinite), Borderlands (which I never played) etc.

Indeed, I'm just starting to scratch the surface of all the gaming goodness available on PC (at ridiculously good prices too-at least relative to console media prices).

I agree with what others have said and just go straight to Borderlands 2. Dont worry about the story cause they dont connect very strongly and its not really great to begin with. The game is great simply for it's gameplay, loot hunting, and boss fights.

If more people realized how cheap you can get a game, especailly AAA games on PC I think you would see many more making a move to PC. That said, I think consoles do a much better job of advertising the AAA games like Destiny which doesnt look like it is coming to PC anytime soon.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #206 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd much rather play this game on my PC this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRyOzyTta24
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/virtual-reality-researchers-takes-grand-theft-auto-next-level-2D11674292

Especially if they can figure out how I can do it sitting on my butt. In all seriousness...This stuff is shaping up to be serious PC gaming technology that is spurring a wave of exciting and creative new approaches to gaming. I can't wait.
post #207 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

My take on this, based on general impressions of the comments, is that there is widespread confusion about what "Next Generation" really is. What does it really mean? Is it just about an age change? Or is it about paradigm shifts?

When you think about it, the new consoles had pretty tall orders to fill coming off the past generation. The last gen brought HD gaming to consoles, motion gaming, fully realized online infrastructure between multiplayer and marketplace, much debated DLC, a new home video and storage medium with Bluray, and I'm probably missing a few things but you get the idea. Asides from the expected bump in graphics,larger game worlds, better A.I etc etc what else could this new generation have introduced while staying within the confines of the expected price range for home consoles that equaled or surpassed what we got with PSwii60? We're at the point now where we're gonna need Holodeck Star Trek style gaming to give us that sense of exhilaration again. I'm curious to see where things go with VR as this gen unfolds.
barrelbelly likes this.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #208 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

When you think about it, the new consoles had pretty tall orders to fill coming off the past generation. The last gen brought HD gaming to consoles, motion gaming, fully realized online infrastructure between multiplayer and marketplace, much debated DLC, a new home video and storage medium with Bluray, and I'm probably missing a few things but you get the idea. Asides from the expected bump in graphics,larger game worlds, better A.I etc etc what else could this new generation have introduced while staying within the confines of the expected price range for home consoles that equaled or surpassed what we got with PSwii60? We're at the point now where we're gonna need Holodeck Star Trek style gaming to give us that sense of exhilaration again. I'm curious to see where things go with VR as this gen unfolds.

Agreed. But that is why I think they have lost their way a bit compared to PC and Mobile. Those platforms are better positioned to exploit VR and AR technologies. Because of their unlocked architectures. Such systems would have to be proprietary with the consoles. And would add cost where they don't want it. Sony is planning to release a VR system in the near future. But I bet it will be overly expensive compared to Oculus Rift. But it would still interest me as a peripheral to PS4. PC is just more flexible to emerging tech for the consoles to be really Next Generation competitive IMO. IMO the new consoles blew it because of the exact things you mentioned. They only did last gen better. And completely left out backward compatibility in an ecosystem that was already HD. A major strategic error IMO. One that will become more apparent as time goes by. That omission does not plague PC gamers as they constantly upgrade their systems into "Next Generation" whenever they want too.
post #209 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

2: Im talking about a holodeck-like experience lol, the world being laid out at your feet, extending out into the horizon, with every single pixel laid out in the proper position on the 3rd dimension. Realistic motion very different, which is also nice btw (and i agree, not for film) and hopefully they will build in zero-latency SOE into gaming monitors with OLED. FYI: all reviews of the Oculus Rift by long time 3D Vision users so far have said that 3D Vision gives a much better experience and not just because of the Dev kit's current low resolution.

There are likely other brands of glasses that work better with your glasses, many brands are made with them in mind.

My assumption was that you were talking about 3D via a display and 3D glasses. If we're talking about Oculus Rift that's a completely different animal I would likely be very interested in. I wouldn't be a first adopter (current issues of motion sickness and resolution) but given what I've read about the concept I do believe it will be the next "big thing" in gaming (not to mention many other applications beyond the scope of this thread). I'm going to CES again in January so perhaps I'll get the chance to experience it first hand.

Eric
post #210 of 587 Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I agree with what others have said and just go straight to Borderlands 2. Dont worry about the story cause they dont connect very strongly and its not really great to begin with. The game is great simply for it's gameplay, loot hunting, and boss fights.

If more people realized how cheap you can get a game, especailly AAA games on PC I think you would see many more making a move to PC. That said, I think consoles do a much better job of advertising the AAA games like Destiny which doesnt look like it is coming to PC anytime soon.

I took the advice of several members within this thread and purchased Borderlands 2 (GOTY).
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page