Upgrade advice for my Sony 55a3000 please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
got my rig hooked to my sony s3000 (bulb DLP}. TV still works great but time to put this'n in the bedroom. what would be a good upgrade? lighting isn't a problem, size needs to be at or very close to 55". PC, PS3,360 hooked up also used for blurays and TV watching. all around everything TV.
. was thinking plasma but hear that burn in can still be a problem, and that LED LCDs are generally brighter. i like a bright, vivid picture. had been looking at Panasonic 55vt60 or Samsung 51 f8500, but now thinking LED maybe. any advice appreciated. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-08-2013, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last I knew, the general consensus is that if you like to game a fair amount, you ought to go with plasma.  In general it gets along with gaming better (doesn't blur motion during fast movement).  Also, burn in isn't really a thing anymore, unless you leave the TV on for dozens of hours on the same screen.  Plus plasmas inch-for-inch are usually cheaper.

Modern summary of burn in issues at Cnet

But if that brighter picture on an LED LCD for movies/tv is more important to you, then go with the LCD. 

post #3 of 5 Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorndadwarf View Post

Last I knew, the general consensus is that if you like to game a fair amount, you ought to go with plasma.  In general it gets along with gaming better (doesn't blur motion during fast movement).  Also, burn in isn't really a thing anymore, unless you leave the TV on for dozens of hours on the same screen.  Plus plasmas inch-for-inch are usually cheaper.

Modern summary of burn in issues at Cnet

But if that brighter picture on an LED LCD for movies/tv is more important to you, then go with the LCD. 

Be sure to read the comments section of that Cnet article.

OP - you might want to check out Sony's 55W900a.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-10-2013, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Interesting, I hadn't read the comments, as I usually avoid them, as they are nothing more than wretched hives of scum and villainy.   Although I have my doubts about the veracity of all the posters in there.  I went and found a Lifehacker article on the same topic, and while some people say they have had some burn in issues (and not only with Plasmas), no one has that angry activist tone that the CNET commenters do.  Plus quite a few of those commenters were accounts accounts only ever used to complain about burn-in.  That's a little suspicious.  I get a little suspicious of any anonymous extreme praise/criticism online. 

But, it may well be that burn-in is still a bigger cause for concern with plasmas than other options.

post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

thanks all! yeah Daver, that Sony looks nice. was about to pul the trigger on the Panasonic VT60 because Amazon has a nice sale on it, but maybe i should go w/ the Sony
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page