PC Gamers who bought a new console... where do you play ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I'm just wondering if other people are having the same "problem", that I'm having. At launch I bought both the PS4 and XB1. I had been playing games on my PC for the last several years, but I'm really a console gamer at heart. When I bought these new consoles, I figured that I'd only have interest in playing them, and probably wouldn't play any PC games for a LONG time.

Well, that has pretty much been the case, but now that the new console smell has worn off, I find myself thinking about playing games on my PC that I never finished. I never completely finished Fallout 3 for example. I have Crysis 2 on my PC with the MaLDo mod that looks amazing. Just as good as Killzone I'd say. Maybe even better than Killzone.

Yet, I still haven't played a game on my PC since buying these new consoles, but I think it's more of a mental block than anything else. I think it's more of a case of me spending all this money on these new consoles, and needing to justify it. If I already start returning to PC games, then what does that say about these new consoles ?

I saw the Steam and Amazon sales recently on PC games, and I didn't buy anything at all. Primary reason is these new gaming consoles. Again, if I buy a game on Steam, what am I saying about these new consoles ? I'm kind of invalidating my investment in them. I think to myself, why buy Tomb Raider on the PC, even if it's only $7 or whatever it was, when I can rent the PS4 version from Redbox sometime in a February ? (assuming Redbox in my area will finally be renting PS4 or XB1 games by then).

I could have bought Bioshock Infinite for a cheap price ($8.50) or something like that, but maybe there will be a definitive version on PS4 or XB1 ? I could try it there instead.

Part of the reason could be that my PC gaming system isn't a high-end rig anymore. It was high-end back in the spring of 2010, but now... not so much. I probably could upgrade the GPU for sure, but again, just spent over 1 grand on new consoles.

Anyways, anybody else struggling with how to juggle your time between PC gaming and next-gen console gaming ? Anybody exclusively go back to consoles like I did ? Anybody have no problems bouncing back and forth between consoles and PC ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm debating the opposite. Don't have a gaming pc and haven't pc gamed for a while now since WoW. Bought both new consoles.

Then I read more and more and dabbled with some pc gaming on my dell xps 27 with the 750m gpu and 4770s CPU running hdmi out to my tv. Then I dropped a couple hundred on the steam sales over Xmas. Bought like 80 games and like every game from last gen I'd want to play. They all look amazing.

Now I'm ready to pull the trigger on a real dedicated gaming machine and return these consoles before the Xmas return period is over.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Now I'm ready to pull the trigger on a real dedicated gaming machine and return these consoles before the Xmas return period is over.

I made a thread for you Jaremy... link in my sig. smile.gif

For me, the amount of time playing the 3 "consoles" (PC in there for good measure) over the last couple months:
  • Xbox One - 0.5% (Forza, Peggle 2, Kinect Sports Rivals demo)
  • PS4 - 40% (AC4, Knack - competed, Killzone Shadow Fall - almost completed, both pinballs, Resogun)
  • PC - 59.5% (both pinballs, Diablo 3, NFS Rivals, and countless random Steam games)

(...I also have a Wii-U that I rarely turn on, but wouldn't mind getting the new Super Mario 3D World at some point.)

I'm still favoring the PC, mainly because I can do email, surf, iTunes, and then play a game in the same place. And if I get stuck in the game, an easy alt-tab can open a browser for a walk-through or youtube solution. Also, many console launch games aren't hitting 60fps, which is disappointing.

I'm still holding firm that a gaming PC is still the best "Game Console". cool.gif

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Thanks. I've been reading that thread and others in this forum and other sites and discussing with my friends that game.

I've been underwhelmed by the lack of power in these new consoles, especially the xb1. The decision is whether we consider them good enough or want to move to the green pasture of the pc, but pc has it's warts as well.

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 and weaved back and forth between console and pc gaming over the decades. Seems like pc poised now though to take the torch and run with it going forward. Actually it took it a few years ago, I just hadn't noticed...

There's just so many pros and cons both ways. I'm trying the treat it as an either/or decision as well vs and.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I play a mix of everything but PC gaming is where it's at, has been for years and don't know if that will change any time soon.

I could have purchased a new CPU and dual gtx780's for what I have spent on these new consoles rolleyes.gif but then I would miss out on the exclusive console titles (Gears, God of War, Halo, Uncharted).

I am holding onto the possibility that we'll see better pc games, versus so-so ports, due to the new consoles being so similar.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and return these consoles before the Xmas return period is over.

Don't know how you would be able to return used consoles this late after Xmas, if at all, but maybe you bought them at Costco or something.

I know the feeling. You spend about 1 grand on consoles and for what ? You could take that one grand and buy a super powerful GPU that would be capable far beyond what these consoles can do.

There is only one problem.

EXCLUSIVES

Red Dead Redemption - Never Forget smile.gif
post #7 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1394

After binging on ghosts for a like 2-3 weeks, I havent turned on my PS4 since (like a month). Still play on my PC every day. Owned an xbox one for about 2 hours. Played with the UI, realized there wasnt a damn game I wanted to play on it. Sold it for $100 profit, went out and bought a GTX770 and still have $300 sitting in a slush fund for GPU upgrades over the next few years.

I think the PS4 is great for what it is, but both new consoles are a long list of things you can't do. PC lets you do what you want, how you want it.  My one PC serves up games in three different rooms....I'd never be able to do that with a console. I can justify keeping the PS4 for exclusives and all the freebies on plus, but it'll probably be years before I consider buying an xbox one again, if ever.

DaverJ and barrelbelly like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #8 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I consider the PS4 sort of an upgrade to a middling middle of the road gaming PC. Little reason to get one right now but by the time there are enough exclusives it may be worth buying. Own an Xbox One because it does seem as if it does next gen stuff but not necessarily for gaming. Plus more of the games for it are probably going to be on the PC than the PS4. Seems that way anyway. Might not happen. Gaming is cheaper on the PC for sure. I consider both consoles to be closer than most even graphically but MS has to have the backing of developers to use it at its max. But as we seen with the PS3, not likely. I have a single GTX770 Lightning and plan on getting another in the near future. But the great thing about gaming on the PC, I can sell that card and upgrade to what ever I want. And when I hear that I spend double or more on a PC than a console, my computer is not exclusively a gaming machine. It just happens to be a great gaming machine. I just have to upgrade the video card and then it beats the consoles for gaming pretty much thru this generation already. . Although I will buy the exclusives, the difference in price for other games can be $50 or more. Hard to justify that difference unless you are into achievements or trophy's. I just looked and I have 25 games on my PC. I own 4 games on the One. So that pretty much answers it for me.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post

I consider the PS4 sort of an upgrade to a middling middle of the road gaming PC. Little reason to get one right now but by the time there are enough exclusives it may be worth buying. Own an Xbox One because it does seem as if it does next gen stuff but not necessarily for gaming. Plus more of the games for it are probably going to be on the PC than the PS4. Seems that way anyway. Might not happen. Gaming is cheaper on the PC for sure. I consider both consoles to be closer than most even graphically but MS has to have the backing of developers to use it at its max. But as we seen with the PS3, not likely. I have a single GTX770 Lightning and plan on getting another in the near future. But the great thing about gaming on the PC, I can sell that card and upgrade to what ever I want. And when I hear that I spend double or more on a PC than a console, my computer is not exclusively a gaming machine. It just happens to be a great gaming machine. I just have to upgrade the video card and then it beats the consoles for gaming pretty much thru this generation already. . Although I will buy the exclusives, the difference in price for other games can be $50 or more. Hard to justify that difference unless you are into achievements or trophy's. I just looked and I have 25 games on my PC. I own 4 games on the One. So that pretty much answers it for me.

Yeah, I'm all about the rolling upgrade. Buy a $300 card one year, sell for $200 the next year, buy another $300 card, takes 5 min to install. The way some people talk about upgrading a PC it's like you're obligated to spend $500 a year and hours to install it, and then you throw last years model in the trash.

It's not really necessary to upgrade that often but I enjoy the bump every year. It's cool to go back to old games and run them on modern hardware...a while ago I played quake 2 with some graphics mods in 4K, and it looked amazing and still played really well. I even played some MP. If that were a console game, you'd have to wait for them to rerelease it, pay for it again, run it at the settings they choose, and the MP servers would prob get shut down in 2 years max. I'm looking forward to trying quake on an oculus, and that already exists. When will consoles get VR? Who knows!

post #10 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 AM

Holiday returns at most stores go through to mid-Jan. Best Buy specifically is through 1/15 and that's where I bought both systems.

At this point I'm thinking the xbox is an easy return but I'll hang on to the ps4. Maybe.

I'm as down on the media integration of the xbox as much as the game fidelity. I think all the streaming app deigns are inferior to other devices, especially vudu. Snap is cool. I tried the tv integration with my TiVo and that won't work in the household long term.

If you have a solid gaming pc, there's little draw to the Xbox for a long time as you have Titanfall covered. I'm kind of over Halo as a series as well personally.

Big question to me is if the consoles are just good enough in fidelity that it makes the overhead effort of going pc not worth it. As well of a question if more of my gaming friends will make the transition too.

Depsite the ps4 selling so many more units, Everyone I know is defaulting to xbox again. But that's mostly my early/mid 20s cousins. They grew up on Xbox and Halo. It's their Nintendo.
post #11 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

My one PC serves up games in three different rooms

Could you elaborate more on this ?

I know about running long HDMI cables, and having a HDMI switcher, but what about the controller / keyboard / mouse situation.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Could you elaborate more on this ?

I know about running long HDMI cables, and having a HDMI switcher, but what about the controller / keyboard / mouse situation.

The PC is in an office on one side of the house, that's where I play mouse/KB games and do general PC stuff with it. A long HDMI cable runs down to the basement, where my receiver sits, connected to a plasma (soon to be projector) in a dedicated theater. A USB cable runs alongside it, and it plugs into a hub where I connect the 360 controller receiver, Bluetooth dongle and IR receiver. Then I split the HDMI out off of the receiver to the plasma, and then up to the living room right above. It's close enough that the wireless controller works flawlessly through the floor (otherwise I'd just run another hub up there). And following the same path is a gigabit ethernet run so my whole house is hardwired.

The finishing touch is a logitech smart hub, so I can control the fixed IR blaster in the basement with my smartphone. That lets me wake up the PC or switch inputs without having to run down to the basement. I also use a smartphone app that turns your phone into a mouse/KB in case I ever need it in a pinch (like if a game crashes).

Works flawlessly although sometimes I have to fiddle with audio or 3D settings, but no biggie.

post #13 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My gaming PC can also be used on almost any display in the house through various cables and wireless HDMI.

The funny thing is that about 98% of the time it is used in the room where it sits, ah well. redface.gif

Jason

post #14 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 05:08 PM

bd2003, that's a very similar setup to what I'm intending. Pc in the office able to drive a monitor with kb/m. Hdmi balun kit to my av rack in the basement where my emotiva separates that drive my living room audio are.

Our office is right behind our living room though so won't need to run usb all around. It's close enough that the witless signal will work. Also intending to keep a mobile mouse app handy.

I actually had all my consoles downstairs on the equipment rack but I've been fighting controller signal drops since we moved in. I moved them all up to the office last week. Everything is hdmi switched on an 8 port switch in the office before going through the balun kit to the rack.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

bd2003, that's a very similar setup to what I'm intending. Pc in the office able to drive a monitor with kb/m. Hdmi balun kit to my av rack in the basement where my emotiva separates that drive my living room audio are.

Our office is right behind our living room though so won't need to run usb all around. It's close enough that the witless signal will work. Also intending to keep a mobile mouse app handy.

I actually had all my consoles downstairs on the equipment rack but I've been fighting controller signal drops since we moved in. I moved them all up to the office last week. Everything is hdmi switched on an 8 port switch in the office before going through the balun kit to the rack.

Yeah, that's part of what makes the consoles a PITA for this....can't buy a wireless usb receiver.  It's direct to the console or nothing.  Havent tried the PS4 in the living room, I wonder if it'll work.

post #16 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I bought a PS4 mostly for me and an XBone mostly for my kids. I played quite a bit of KZ MP, but it's been shelved for the past 3 weeks. The kids opened the XBone for Christmas and I've been playing Skylanders and Lego Marvel with them. I bought Forza 5 for myself and it's a beautiful game if you can get past the jaggies. Unfortunately, I'm not much into racing games and haven't touched it for a while. I do not regret my decision in buying either console. Both consoles definitely have some convenience advantages over my PC, but I've been PC gaming pretty solid for the past couple weeks and I don't think that's going to change until some more exclusives drop.
post #17 of 29 Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 216
95% on my PC, 4% on my XB1 (Forza and the games I get from gamefly) and 1% on my 3DS. I'd elaborate but I'm quite tired right now.

<--- All gamertags listed there -

__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast

- direct pod link

- main website
post #18 of 29 Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I got a XO for Christmas and have been primarily playing that. I don't have a lot of time for games. I've been playing a bit of SC2 and TL2 but not nearly enough.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I had been playing Dragons Dogma, the PS3 PS+ freebie up until I received AC4 for PS4 from gamefly a couple days ago. I've been playing that since.

I have so many games on PC not even touched. If I could rent games for the PC I would be playing it on the PC, I'm sure.

The PS+ freebies are nice too. There are more than a few games I got free on that, that I avoided buying through steam sales. Also many games untouched on my PS+ account.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #20 of 29 Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Liked: 26

I use each platform for certain things.  FPS I play on the pc, right now that being BF4 but bioshock before it.  I will also play a lot of third person shooters on there as well.  I play adventure type games tomb raider/god of war on the consoles.  Obviously I can use a controller on my PC but I like to sit back and relax on the couch with those types of games and my wife likes to watch. 

I do the majority of my gaming on the PC and have pretty much ignored my PS4/One with the exception of Ryse.  I am like 2/3 through killzone and maybe 10% through AC IV.  I hated DR 3 so I won't play that.  But I can guarantee when FF XV and KH3 come out I won't touch the pc for a while.  Same with God of War. 

post #21 of 29 Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The majority of my time is on the PC. I just finished Bioshock:Infinite and need to finish DMC & Hitman:Absolution. I got a PS4 at launch and the only game I have for it is Killzone:SF. I really enjoy the MP for Killzone and play 2-3 times a week. It's just playing games on my PC that's connected to my HDTV using a 360 Wireless controller is better to me. I have a Sapphire Radeon 7950 and I can Max my games and run anywhere between 45-60FPS. I bought the PS4 & Wii U for exclusives only, everything else will be on PC.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #22 of 29 Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM

T-minus 1 hour until the Best Buy holiday return period closes....ugh. To take the consoles back or not...
post #23 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

T-minus 1 hour until the Best Buy holiday return period closes....ugh. To take the consoles back or not...

I can tell you that my honeymoon period with these consoles has defintiely worn off, (the bloom is off the rose so to speak), but I'm not going to take back my consoles. TitanFall and InFamous Second Son are both coming in March, and I'm sure there will be plenty of other big time games coming later this year. However, what I am doing, is trying to sell off a bunch of the initial batch of games that I got. I got a total of 6 games this Xmas for the two new systems, and I'm going to try to sell 4 of the 6 games. I'm only holding on to 1 game for each system (NBA 2K14 for PS4 and BF4 for XB1). I'll also try to sell BF4 about 3 weeks before Titanfall's release date.

Basically, I'm admitting that these consoles weren't quite cracked up to what I thought they would be, but at the same time, I know I'll be using both of them quite a bit for the next 5 years, so I don't really have much buyers remorse. Should I have waited till March 2014 to jump in ? Probably, but it's water under the bridge at this point.
post #24 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't have buyers remorse at all. I knew what was happening and that there would be a lull in games. I bought the PS4 for future use. I bought a PS Vita and 3DS both at launch and as bad as it was in the beginning I'm happy I stuck it out.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #25 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I can tell you that my honeymoon period with these consoles has defintiely worn off, (the bloom is off the rose so to speak), Basically, I'm admitting that these consoles weren't quite cracked up to what I thought they would be, but at the same time, I know I'll be using both of them quite a bit for the next 5 years, so I don't really have much buyers remorse. Should I have waited till March 2014 to jump in ? Probably, but it's water under the bridge at this point.

Taken a little bit out of context to your total message. But still relevant. I say...better late than never. Especially before you spend a lot more money on a platform that is already obsolete relative to "Next Generation" gaming. And that is VR that is planned for major launch later this year on PC and Mobile. Neither of those consoles have the horsepower and specs needed to handle VR based on the admission of Palmer Lucky (Oculus Rift Founder). Oculus Rift is already over a $Billion Company based on valuation from its tier one investments! This exciting new experience/platform will have everyone in gaming talking about it at the end of 2014. And not PS4 and Xbox One...Halo 5 and etc. I've always said that the new consoles would be nothing but New SKUs for the last generation. And Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo proved me right. That's the main reason I chose to just stay with the superior cost platforms of Xbox 360, PS3 and WiiU for consoles. And go whole hog down the PC/VR path for Next Gen. IMO within 5 years we won't be even talking about Xbox One and PS4. If they don't both change. And fast! By 7-10 years they both could seem "Jurassic". Yet Xbox 360 and PS3 could be valued collectibles because of their vast library of games...That can be licensed for VR on PC via XBL, PS+ and Steam.

My fearless prediction is that both Microsoft and Sony will dramatically change those 2 consoles in 3 years in the face of declining demand and the emerging VR/PC/Mobile reality. Versions XBOne version 2.0 and PS4 version 2.0 may be worth the buy if they are licensed to handle Oculus Rift VR. Along with cheaper prices and beefed up respectively to handle it. And I'm talking real 4k VR (full 1080p 60 per eye). 720p-900p 3D per eye may cut it for less demanding gamers. But not PC and Mobile. Even then...those consoles will be woefully behind PC & Mobile...that will be pushing OR version 1.1 toward 8k (4k 120fps per eye) and beyond. I think VR is going to force both Microsoft and Sony to really question the veracity of their console strategies. IMO MS could easily abandon the console market completely with its new CEO. And pursue Enterprise Software solutions and approaches in the new burgeoning VR mass market. I saw no reason to buy a new console. Not even the new games. If Halo 5 and most console exclusives don't have VR versions. I won't have the remotest interest in playing them. I can scratch that itch just fine, by revisiting my treasured versions on Xbox 360/PS3. And save myself a lot of money to boot.
post #26 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

barrelbelly,

While your enthusiasm for OR is respectable I think your assumption that it will take over gaming is wishful thinking. wink.gif

I'm sure it will do well and many are interested in the tech (I'll likely get one as well) but the gaming masses are not likely to buy into OR (at least not until it hits a ~ $199 price point).

I returned my first Xone and did not want to buy either console at launch as I knew what to expect initially but then my wife said "you'll end up buying both anyway, why wait".

I pondered that and came up with several reasons to wait but the gamer in me said enjoy it now while we can since tomorrow is never guaranteed.

I was concerned regarding the lack of games for my son but we play Knack co-op together and he loves it, that alone justifies the PS4 purchase for me.

I have 3 retail games for each console + 2-3 DD games for each so having 10+ new games to play within roughly two months is honestly pretty decent.

I set a $40 limit per game and have not paid over that (as of yet).

Jason
barrelbelly likes this.

post #27 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 116
Business as usual here. I bought both consoles for exclusives, PC for multiplatform and whatever PC exclusives come out. PC is my main gaming rig, always has been, always will be. Whatever platform the game looks best on is what I play it on- which is usually PC. Of course there are exceptions like bad PC Ports.
post #28 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

barrelbelly,

While your enthusiasm for OR is respectable I think your assumption that it will take over gaming is wishful thinking. wink.gif

I'm sure it will do well and many are interested in the tech (I'll likely get one as well) but the gaming masses are not likely to buy into OR (at least not until it hits a ~ $199 price point).

I returned my first Xone and did not want to buy either console at launch as I knew what to expect initially but then my wife said "you'll end up buying both anyway, why wait".

I pondered that and came up with several reasons to wait but the gamer in me said enjoy it now while we can since tomorrow is never guaranteed.

I was concerned regarding the lack of games for my son but we play Knack co-op together and he loves it, that alone justifies the PS4 purchase for me.

I have 3 retail games for each console + 2-3 DD games for each so having 10+ new games to play within roughly two months is honestly pretty decent.

I set a $40 limit per game and have not paid over that (as of yet).

Jason

Even if it is successful I don't see VR as a major disruption to traditional gaming. It'll slot alongside TV gaming just life Facebook and mobile games. Too many caveats to be a full blown replacement. 3D is on hiatus because people didn't want to wear translucent glasses...a VR headset is like an order of magnitude more alienating than that. It doesn't matter how awesome it is, the concept just doesn't have mass appeal in its current form.

post #29 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

barrelbelly,

Jason

@DaGamePimp:

That's not actually my assumption. I do think it will eventually take over gaming Jason. But not right away. In the short term it will be a specialty gaming market. But it will be the loudest IMO. Mass Market gaming as it exists today will exist side by side with VR for a very long time. But When people experience OR/VR mass market adoption could be quicker than you can say Wii. Especially when the first Console is licensed to use it too...and commits to retrofitting the technology into its library of existing games. That spells Nintendo to me. Especially with their focus on 3D handhelds/mobile today. OR/VR could position WiiU very strongly against the new consoles. Because 480p-720p console resolution VR would be awesome to its user base. And adequate for games in their Library. I would buy that package hands down before an Xbox One or PS4. Because I already have the top shelf covered with my PC. Plus OR/VR will dominate the gaming conversation in gamer media and other forms of multimedia like movies etc. VR gaming will benefit greatly from the ooohs and aaahs generated by other OR/VR applications like NASA demos and movie demos like "First person" perspective in a new Avatar movie that are already on board with the tech. This stuff is already happening. Every studio in Hollywood has multiple Dev Kits. And are already 100% sold on the potential of VR/3D movies. Future IMAXX theaters could easily include luxury salons where people can view a blockbuster movie on an OR Display.

So my assumption is that OR can fail...but it won't. It is simply a stunning breakthrough technology that opens up a completely new potential VR mass market for just about everything imaginable. I think "Rogo" called it perfectly on the OR thread over in the New flat Panel/Oled ".Display Area". While that thread speaks more to the display and hard core technologies behind VR...the verdict in it is mostly universal. OR/VR is the Next Generation "Game Changer". But gaming is just ground zero for the Beta. 10 to 15 years from now...your statement is right on target about what I believe. Maybe even sooner, if Nintendo gets on board early...grabs the kids cheaply...and OR hits its target of 16k 1000fps during that phase for hard core PC & Mobile gamers. We would truly be on the "Holodeck" or in "Caprica" as soon as something like that happened. No wishful thinking. But dreams aplenty! biggrin.gif
Bigfame likes this.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page