Dark Souls 2 - April 25th! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
187 hours logged on Dark Souls and I'm just getting started. Now this game gets announced on Steam. I. Can't. Wait.

But I can, because this will hopefully be the definitive version complete with better graphics, custom resolutions that actually work, etc. If it's not, I'm sure we will be graced with a mod that will make it look and work even better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Well I just had gamefly send me my xbox rental. I forgot it was on my list. I don't even have xboxlive anymore. I'm guessing it's going to render this game pretty bland without the online stuff.

I'll probably try it out just to see how it compares to the first. But not get too involved because I want to spend my time on the PC version.

GMG has a $10 cash back thing for this game btw.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #3 of 42 Old 03-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've barely played DS1 yet. I heard a youtuber say recently that you can no longer save your game in DS1 now that GFWL is dead.
post #4 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I heard a youtuber say recently that you can no longer save your game in DS1 now that GFWL is dead.

Wow, that sucks. I haven't played it for a bit, as I'm working on Sleeping Dogs, but that was a phenomenal game after the fix and high res textures. 1080p/60fps is amazing for that game, especially compared to the single digit fps you'd get in blighttown on the PS3.

As for Dark Souls 2, From has said they will be using higher res textures for the PC version as well as a higher frame rate. Whether or not they plan to cap the frame rate at 60 or not is tbd. I really hope they figure out the custom resolutions, though, as I need it to be 1980x816 for my scope setup.

post #5 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

What happens to your current games? I won't bother opening the game until I hear there has been an update to fix GFWL.

When I saw the email from gamefly that DS2 for xbox was being mailed I got excited and checked for one from GMG. Then I realized the PC version isn't released until next month frown.gif

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #6 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Last I played Dark Souls was a little over a week ago, but I've had no problems with GFWL or saved games. I don't know what will happen when GFWL is shut down in July (?) but it's fine for now.

I started playing Dark Souls in January after getting it on a Steam sale. It was a game I was always interested in trying but I often don't enjoy too much challenge in games. I never want to feel frustrated, so I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the game or just hate it. Turns out I LOVE it and I've put in around 100 hours in one and a half playthroughs. Dark Souls 2 has suddenly replaced everything else as my most anticipated PC release.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I don't think it's that hard really. It gets a stigma around it from people always belly aching about it being tougher than it actually is.

It's been going for $8 or below. People should try it before they put it off just because of what the little babies say about it's difficulty.

I stopped and got heavily into rocksmith for a time and just haven't had the nerve to go back. My character is over 100 I think and I really don't remember what I had to do next or where my next destination was, so I would feel lost. I still plan to go back, after they fix GFWL, which may never happen.

DS2 for 360 showed up today, fastest gamefly mailing ever. Going to pop that in and take a gander.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #8 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

I agree, the game isn't as hard as I expected it to be. It offers a challenge, but you can always meet that by being patient and careful. When I faced a seemingly impossible boss (two occasions for me), I just took time to explore other areas, get better items, and level up.

Skimming through the PS3 Dark Souls II thread, evidently the graphics were downgraded a bit from the beta. Blander textures and poorer lighting, such that there's less gameplay emphasis on using torches in dark areas. The Digital Foundry face off details these: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-dark-souls-2-face-off

Hopefully we'll get the original, definitive version on PC. Dark Souls was a famously bad PC port, but I expect we'll get better for Dark Souls 2 because of that.
post #9 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pre-loaded this last night on Steam. I've been playing the PS3 version a little and can't wait to see the PC improvements! C'mon tomorrow!! biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #10 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pre-loaded and am going to definitely apply some of the Durante tweaks for the Nvidia Inspector before I even start. Can't wait!!!

post #11 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dark Souls 2 is officially out on Steam! See you in a few months, AVS!

post #12 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Can you tell your PC to download a game through the steam app? That would be helpful. I can't get home for another half hour or more. I'd like to have it downloading.

Can you post up some links to any mods that are already available?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #13 of 42 Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

So apparently the crashing issue is with HDMI connections. First time I tried to open it, connected to my projector, it crashed. I rebooted and it played. Next day tried again, it crashed. Did not reboot but removed the HDMI connection from the list of options and switched back to monitor as main display and it ran. That was earlier today.

Now I'm going to try to run the game again with the monitor and see what happens.

People have been complaining about controllers not working, but I haven't had any problems with mine.

Edit: Booted right up, no issue.

I'll skip the projector until they patch that.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #14 of 42 Old 04-26-2014, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Projector works fine for me, as well as the controller. Have you tried the ATI NVIDIA fixes they mentioned? It wasn't working for me initially on my AMD computer until I checked "enable gpu scaling". The problem I'm having...and the problem that pissed me off with the first DS, is the fact that I can't get custom resolutions to work. I have a 2.35:1 screen and every other game I have works fantastic with my 1920x816 resolution. Neither of the Dark Souls games work - just a black screen.

post #15 of 42 Old 04-26-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Anyone play a console version and can compare graphics?

post #16 of 42 Old 04-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

It's a lot sharper that's for sure. I can't compare now, it's been a month since I played the xbox version, it's back at gamefly.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #17 of 42 Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyone play a console version and can compare graphics?

I don't have the console version, but 1080p and 60fps for the PC for me. It's no contest, really. If you don't have a decent PC, I'd go for the console version. Otherwise, I think it's a no brainer.

post #18 of 42 Old 04-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Oh this is something I wasn't able to take advantage off when I was doing xbox without xlive.

When you get summoned to help and help kill the boss, it turns you human and resets your spells and health.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #19 of 42 Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

No problems connecting to my projector nor with my controller.

Performance is excellent. I get 60fps easy in 720p 3D on my Nvidia 560 Ti. I tried 2560x1440 3D (downsampled to 1280x720) with the GeDoSaTo mod and still got 30-50fps, though I'm sticking with standard 720p for constant 60fps. The game is nearly perfect in 3D with shadows set to OFF. That doesn't turn off all shadows, only dynamic shadows.
post #20 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Man, I am dying in this game a hell of a lot more than the first one. I don't want to say it's cheap, but there are just so many more baddies coming at you it's really easy to get overwhelmed. The first three bosses I've fought have been really uninteresting in terms of battles (and easy to beat). I'm playing as a warrior and I've beaten them by simply strafing around them, giving them a shot, putting up my shield and waiting for them to take a turn. Rinse and repeat. One boss was a little different, but not by much. And I cannot beat that damn boss in the Old Bastille. Grrr. What class is everyone else playing? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it seems like my warrior hits pretty hard.

post #21 of 42 Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I'm playing a Cleric/hexer. Keeping my str and dex at a minimum to focus on other stats for now.

I'm now working on the shrine and the pit. Kind of dreading the pit because of all the poison. Such a pain.

I'm at 30 attunement which gives me 6 slots I think, plus a ring that gives 2 more. The next slot comes with 10 more attunement points frown.gif

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #22 of 42 Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I'm playing a Cleric/hexer. Keeping my str and dex at a minimum to focus on other stats for now.

I'm now working on the shrine and the pit. Kind of dreading the pit because of all the poison. Such a pain.

I'm at 30 attunement which gives me 6 slots I think, plus a ring that gives 2 more. The next slot comes with 10 more attunement points frown.gif

There is a hat that gives you another slot. Might want to also put the ring on that gives you a boost to the number of spells you can cast for each card (but it lowers your HP).

post #23 of 42 Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

There's a couple hats that do that I believe. I haven't found them yet. Right now I'm wearing the hexer hat, it increases int and faith and I believe spell count. I'm also using the lion mage suit that gives a big boost to cast speed. I have the ring that gives extra spells but I'm not willing to sacrifice my health.

I found a lot more of those branches to un-petrify this time. On my xbox play I think I ran out of them.

What is the secret to not have Navlan invade you constantly? I'm going to show up on his door soon and I don't remember how that was supposed to work. Or is there some ultimate benefit to having him invade?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #24 of 42 Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

YRD, do you recommend playing cleric? How is it in the first parts of the game? I realize now why I found it so hard - I skipped the forest part at first and went straight to Heide's tower. I went back and did the forest and blew through it. Then I went back and showed those biotches in Old Bastille who's boss. smile.gif

I'm trying to play the game without reading up on stuff and just discovering it myself, but sheesh that really does make it a whole lot harder. Thank God for the Soul Vessel.

post #25 of 42 Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's a couple hats that do that I believe. I haven't found them yet. Right now I'm wearing the hexer hat, it increases int and faith and I believe spell count. I'm also using the lion mage suit that gives a big boost to cast speed. I have the ring that gives extra spells but I'm not willing to sacrifice my health.

I found a lot more of those branches to un-petrify this time. On my xbox play I think I ran out of them.

What is the secret to not have Navlan invade you constantly? I'm going to show up on his door soon and I don't remember how that was supposed to work. Or is there some ultimate benefit to having him invade?

You have to talk to Navlan while you are hollow. DO NOT pull the lever to release him, speak to him while he is still captive and you are hollow. This will initiate his awesome quest of assassinations. You don't actually have to kill anyone, you can get all the items without killing. He also does not take the items he asks you to bring him as proof of the kill so you can keep them all. He will give you the following:

1st assassination reward: Dispelling ring
2nd reward: Simpleton spice
3rd reward: Fordbidden sun
4th reward: Unleash magic

Complete all 4, talk again and he gives you the entire Chaos armor set.

WELL worth doing it this way!

You have to speak to him each time you go back as hollow to.

post #26 of 42 Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

YRD, do you recommend playing cleric? How is it in the first parts of the game? I realize now why I found it so hard - I skipped the forest part at first and went straight to Heide's tower. I went back and did the forest and blew through it. Then I went back and showed those biotches in Old Bastille who's boss. smile.gif

I'm trying to play the game without reading up on stuff and just discovering it myself, but sheesh that really does make it a whole lot harder. Thank God for the Soul Vessel.

My Cleric was easiest of all due to such a high faith and the lightning spear spell class of spells. Just awesome spells. At the beginning you can use maces which are very powerful. Great overall class (plus you start with the heal spell, nice bonus spell with limited potions/items at the start). Join the heirs of sun and eventually get the wicked powerful sun spear.

post #27 of 42 Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

You have to get used to spell casting before you jump in, if you haven't played the spell game in DS before. It's hard to land spells in PVP, people just dodge them all. I enjoy cleric because I like healing in PVP games of all types, not just DS games. The lightning spear spells are good fun too, really powerful on most enemies.

I'm digging the sorceries more than the dark spells, right now. I have soul greatsword, I love it. I wish there was a second one. I think the other one is soul vortex, shoots a giant ball that swirls toward your target. Pretty devastating, albeit slow cast.

Dark hail is brutal if you can land all the bolts up close. Lot of people have good dark resist though.

What constitutes a sin? Killing an NPC only? I figured invading and killing someone would be a sin. But he did not want to pardon me.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #28 of 42 Old 04-30-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have to get used to spell casting before you jump in, if you haven't played the spell game in DS before. It's hard to land spells in PVP, people just dodge them all. I enjoy cleric because I like healing in PVP games of all types, not just DS games. The lightning spear spells are good fun too, really powerful on most enemies.

I'm digging the sorceries more than the dark spells, right now. I have soul greatsword, I love it. I wish there was a second one. I think the other one is soul vortex, shoots a giant ball that swirls toward your target. Pretty devastating, albeit slow cast.

Dark hail is brutal if you can land all the bolts up close. Lot of people have good dark resist though.

What constitutes a sin? Killing an NPC only? I figured invading and killing someone would be a sin. But he did not want to pardon me.

For PVP try the tactic of wearing a ring that increases spell casting time and then use the sorcery spell that knocks someone to the ground (I think there is a miracle that does it too). then while they are dong the slow animation of standing up you can get at least two good spells in on them. Rinse and repeat. It is also good to have up a spell that hovers over your head (like the hex affinity or the sorcery one that I believe is the soulmass spell class), this way if they get close to hit you they will take a stunning amount of damage.

post #29 of 42 Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys aware you can farm approx. 400,000 souls every 5-10 minutes? Just need to be near the end of the game, can make NG+ (and NG++++++) soooo much easier if you are struggling.

post #30 of 42 Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just got to a new area that obviously is where pvp or invasions starts. I played around 10 minutes and I've been invaded 6 times. It's completely impossible to advance in the game when people constantly invade with better gear. It's hard enough to play as it is...Piss, I'm really not liking this game right now. Unplugging my ethernet so I can actually get somewhere in the bloody game.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page