Do I need a sound card?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-15-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just built my first PC last week and I've been playing Titanfall and the sound isn't even close to my PS4 playing BF4. Does the sound just suck on Titanfall? I have a Msi gd65 motherboard and a EVGA Gtx 770. I have a Hdmi cable from the video card to my Onkyo 809. Please let me know if there's something I'm missing.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Have you tried the analog outputs for games ?

An Xonar DGX Gaming Sound card might be better than the Realtec chip on the board The DGX has a gaming mode and built in headphone amp as well it has SPDIF (toslink 5.1 ) out and 96k/24bit sampling ,
2.1- 4.1 and 5.1 - 3.5mm analog audio outs and it should pass through to HDMI when you enable it in windows sound control
mine does when not in game mode you *may* have to use other than HDMI for the game
modes . You might also first try your 3.5mm analog outs but generally Realtec chips are OK for movies and mp**lossy music that's about it . http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DGX/

Don't know about the sound in Titanfall Google it .
My first build was an intel 486DX66 long time ago they are a lot easier these days .
looks like a nice board there.

If you want 7.1 the Zonar DSX audio card has that and adds 192k /24bit sampling but you can't hear it anyway.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What? If he has the GTX 770 hooked up to his receiver via HDMI cable he should be getting PCM surround sound output that way. He shouldn't even need a sound card.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I agree, there should be no need for a sound card if you have an HDMI receiver. Just check to make sure your sound/receiver are properly configured in Windows.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Quote:
Just built my first PC last week and I've been playing Titanfall and the sound isn't even close to my PS4 playing BF4. Does the sound just suck on Titanfall? I have a Msi gd65 motherboard and a EVGA Gtx 770. I have a Hdmi cable from the video card to my Onkyo 809. Please let me know if there's something I'm missing.

Thanks

I'm assuming you've configured your PC for 7.1 (or 5.1, depending on your setup) sound through the hardware/sound icon in Windows? It will often default to just stereo (2 speakers) sound unless you manually change it.

Also, the output volume levels of different pieces of hardware (PC, Blu Ray, PS4) are often different. If this is the case you can change the settings in your Onkyo so that, for example, -10 level will be the same volume level for everything you have plugged into your receiver. I believe Onkyo calls it "Intellivolume".

Hope that helps.

Video: Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, Darbee Darblet, Samsung BD D6700 Blu Ray player, DIY Seymour Centerstage XD 138" Curved Screen
LCR - Tannoy DC12i, Sides - Tannoy IW63, Rears - Tannoy Saturn DC6ti Bookshelf, Ceilings - Tannoy CMS 603DC (TF), Tannoy CMS 601DC (TR), 3 Micro Marty/1 Full Marty DIY subs
Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva XPA-2, Outlaw Audio 7700, 2x Inuke 6000DSP
Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
post #6 of 15 Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I have not configured the audio to 5.1. I wasn't aware I needed to. That's most likely my problem. Now the question is how do I do that? I have Windows 8.1 by the way.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-16-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Hmm. I have windows 8 and the first thing I did was install a free program called Classic Shell. That will give you a windows start menu on the desktop which windows 8 did away with (like, seriously, why?). I never run windows 8 using "tablet" mode - I always have it on desktop mode like windows 7. So, once you install classic shell (if that's the route you choose to go), go to the start menu and go to control panel, hardware and sound, then when you click sound you should see an icon showing hdmi out or whatever speakers you are using. You will right click that icon and choose "configure speakers". You should then have a choice between stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 sound. Choose the one that fits your setup, then test it. If sound comes out of all your speakers discretely, you're good to go. Hope that helps. If there are people who know how to do it without using classic shell, cool. That's the only way I know how to do it.

Video: Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, Darbee Darblet, Samsung BD D6700 Blu Ray player, DIY Seymour Centerstage XD 138" Curved Screen
LCR - Tannoy DC12i, Sides - Tannoy IW63, Rears - Tannoy Saturn DC6ti Bookshelf, Ceilings - Tannoy CMS 603DC (TF), Tannoy CMS 601DC (TR), 3 Micro Marty/1 Full Marty DIY subs
Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva XPA-2, Outlaw Audio 7700, 2x Inuke 6000DSP
Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
post #8 of 15 Old 03-16-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome!! Thanks for the help. I tried everything expect right clicking on that icon. As far as windows 8 "tile" screen is concerned i just have my PC boot to the desktop and Steam every time I turn it on.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well? Did it work? Were you able to select 5.1 or 7.1? And then was the sound everything you hoped it to be?
post #10 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it worked..I configured it to 5.1. The bass does seem a little lacking but I'm assuming that's just Titanfall.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nice Question! I was wondering the exact same thing. Time was, a soundcard was one of those hardware pieces you wanted if you didn't want the tower to make all the sounds. Beeep!
post #12 of 15 Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Titanfall on the PC uses uncompressed audio so technically it should sound better than consoles.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #13 of 15 Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthanatos View Post

Nice Question! I was wondering the exact same thing. Time was, a soundcard was one of those hardware pieces you wanted if you didn't want the tower to make all the sounds. Beeep!

Times have changed.

I don't think cases/motherboards have speakers built-in anymore? At least the majority of them don't. So no more Beeep.

All decent video cards have HDMI-out which handle video *and* multi-channel (5/7.1) audio, much like HDMI does with a game console or Blu-Ray player. Many motherboards have HDMI-out also. Down the line, motherboards' built-in audio via analog-out jacks is so much better then it was back in the day.

Some people still want a sound card for high-end audio, mainly 24/192 bit-rate audio with improved signal-to-noise. But for most of us, the HDMI-out via the GPU or even the motherboard's audio out is excellent enough for gaming, movies and music.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #14 of 15 Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I had a Gravis Ultrasound back in the day and then I migrated to Creative Labs Sound Blaster cards ever since though I did have a brief stint with Aureal - my first integrated audio experience outside of a laptop - in a Compaq PC I had in the Windows 9x days.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I've actually got a pretty nice soundcard in my desktop, that I hooked up to 5.1 . Too bad it's gathering dust while I do homework. I think I'll build a HTPC using the free copy of Windows 8.1 I get for being in a CS major through DreamSpark. But I don't think I'll be needing a soundcard, because I'll just be sending the output to a receiver. I've always been against 8.0, but I've since heard very nice things about 8.1 aka "Windows 8 with a start button".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page