Widescreen (2.35+ : 1) Gaming - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looking at the anamorphic gaming and widescreen gaming threads here, they're mostly from 6 years ago, which is like 20 years anywhere else. There's a thread here about using a lumagen product, but looking at their website I'm still not quite sure what it even does. Do we even/still need that? It's been 6 years! I know there are things like eyeFinity, and WideScreenGamingForum has some cool pictures for lots of games that show how the view changes for widescreen and ultra widescreen but anybody have an update on anamorphic gaming of any type? A favorite way or game to play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-30-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I'm using an anamorphic lens, projector and a DIY curved 2.35:1 screen and use the NVIDIA panel to make a custom resolution of 1920 x 816 to get my game on (which I believe the lumagen also does so I don't understand why it's needed). Racing games and all games for that matter feel way more immersive and you have much less of a tunnel vision feeling when you play in that aspect ratio.

I have heard of some monitors that are 21:9 also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY0X69484

^as an example.

As for favourite way to play? Anamorphic gaming is the ONLY way to play once you try it. wink.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Nvidia Panel? Also that's the vibe I'm getting from what I've read, that once you go ultra-wide you can't go back. I'm super excited!
post #4 of 10 Old 03-30-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Check out the new LG ultra wides that are coming out, 34" and 3440x1440 pixels. UM95 is the model.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-30-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nvidia Panel?

Just the control panel (like ATI Catalyst Control Centre) for the graphics card where you can change resolution, colour, overclock, etc.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, that's that I figured. Also, 257Tony, I'm looking more to game on a projector and less on a monitor. :) Anybody have an opinion on what videocard supports Projector widescreen gaming the best?

post #7 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anybody have an opinion on what videocard supports Projector widescreen gaming the best?

Any of the current NVIDIA or Radeon cards will support custom resolutions and will provide you with good speed at 1080p with max settings on most games. I have a GTX 760 and it works great. The bigger question is how you plan on achieving widescreen. If it's using a lens, then you need to make sure that your projector has a vertical stretch feature for anamorphic lenses (Optoma HD33 has it). Many of the really inexpensive 1080p projectors don't have it. If you are planning on zooming instead, you will be eliminating DLP technology, as they don't zoom worth a crap. LCD or LCOS is your option there. I believe the Epson 3020 is a good bet in terms of price/performance ratio.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Any of the current NVIDIA or Radeon cards will support custom resolutions and will provide you with good speed at 1080p with max settings on most games. I have a GTX 760 and it works great. The bigger question is how you plan on achieving widescreen. If it's using a lens, then you need to make sure that your projector has a vertical stretch feature for anamorphic lenses (Optoma HD33 has it). Many of the really inexpensive 1080p projectors don't have it. If you are planning on zooming instead, you will be eliminating DLP technology, as they don't zoom worth a crap. LCD or LCOS is your option there. I believe the Epson 3020 is a good bet in terms of price/performance ratio.

You can do it with an anamorphic lens through the video drivers. At least through Nvidia control panel, if you want to use a lens, you leave timing on automatic (I found it stretches the 2.35:1 image entirely in the 16:9 frame), then change the resolution. If you want to use the zoom method, Use manual timing (which keeps the timings of the 1920x1080 signal), then change the resolution , allows you to scale the 2.35:1 (1920x816) in letterbox.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can do it with an anamorphic lens through the video drivers. At least through Nvidia control panel, if you want to use a lens, you leave timing on automatic (I found it stretches the 2.35:1 image entirely in the 16:9 frame), then change the resolution. If you want to use the zoom method, Use manual timing (which keeps the timings of the 1920x1080 signal), then change the resolution , allows you to scale the 2.35:1 (1920x816) in letterbox.

Cool. I didn't even think of that, as previous to having a HTPC/Gaming rig I was using strictly consoles and a blu ray player so it was limited to the projector to do the stretch.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

I certainly plan on getting an anamorphic lense! smile.gif I just didn't know if I needed a lumagen to join in on the widescreen awesomeness. good to know. Sounds like nVidia is a preferred video card for Widescreen gaming. Anybody have any opinions on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming