Official Xbox One Controller Windows drivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Finally, Microsoft has officially enabled support for the Xbox One Controller on PC.
Quote:
Beginning today, new PC drivers for the Xbox One controller will be available for download, offering PC gamers a better way to play using the Xbox One controller. We’re planning to release the drivers as part of a Windows update in the near future; however, today, I am happy to offer early access to our dedicated PC gamers on MajorNelson.com.

PC Drivers for Xbox One Controller (x86)

PC Drivers for Xbox One Controller (x64)

We know our fans have wanted PC compatibility, and we know they wanted to be able to use the Xbox One controller with the same games and applications they have been playing with using the Xbox 360 controller. We can’t wait for them to play their favorite PC games with what we consider the best controller ever made and we’re excited for fans to experience the improved D-pad, redesigned battery compartment, new comfortable design and offset analog sticks. The new PC drivers will enable the Xbox One controller to be used with any game that featured gamepad support for the Xbox 360 controller. Simply download the drivers, connect your Xbox One controller to your computer through a micro USB cable and you’ll be gaming in no time.
http://majornelson.com/2014/06/05/pc-drivers-for-the-xbox-one-controller-available-now/

x86
x64

Long overdue, but still very glad to see it. I was kind of hoping for some sort of wireless support, but still - wired is far better than nothing. (And making wireless harder is that apparently for some reason Microsoft didn't end up using Wifi Direct for controller connections like they initially said - they did something proprietary again instead).

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I'd like to get one but they are overly expensive, and I'd like to wait for that wireless.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #3 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I just already have two for my Xbox, so one of those will be used for double-duty.

Actually, one really nice benefit to the lack of wireless for me is that with the 360 controller, I had to constantly switch which device it was wirelessly paired to. With the One controller, I can have it always paired with the Xbox wirelessly, and when I want to play on the PC just plug in the cable.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't expect anything different, but these drivers also work great for any Windows Store / WinRT* apps that support a 360 controller.

That includes stuff like Snes8x (a port of the Snes9x emulator)... making the far better d-pad on the Xbox One controller a huge plus.

*Just for total clarity, I'm talking about the WinRT framework here, which is not the same as a Windows RT device. Unfortunately you can't install these drivers on any of those Windows RT / ARM-based devices. However, I'd be shocked if they didn't have support for it added whenever they add the x64 and x86 versions to Windows Update... it's just that Microsoft really doesn't want people installing drivers on their own for those.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Glad these finally came out. Ever since I got my XBO I've loved the controller. Never thought they could improve on the 360 controller but they did. Installed the drivers, worked flawlessly immediately. Can't wait to get some game time in using this now.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #6 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Nice, off to try the d-pad with some fight games. smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up jhoff.

Jason
post #7 of 14 Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Non-starter for me w/o wireless. My gaming PC is in the garage behind the HT rig...

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #8 of 14 Old 06-07-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Is the charging cable for the Logitech G930 wireless headset a micro-usb?

That's the only cable I have the fits the Xbox One controller, but after installing the X64 drivers, my PC still doesn't see the XB1 controller using this cable. Any ideas? confused.gif

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-07-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

That's the only cable I have the fits the Xbox One controller, but after installing the X64 drivers, my PC still doesn't see the XB1 controller using this cable. Any ideas? confused.gif

Some USB cables are power-only and don't carry any data. It appears that maybe this cable is like that: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Headphones-Headsets-Microphones/g930-data-over-cable/td-p/1094241

Any of these should work nicely though:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307
DaverJ likes this.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Some USB cables are power-only and don't carry any data. It appears that maybe this cable is like that: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Headphones-Headsets-Microphones/g930-data-over-cable/td-p/1094241

Any of these should work nicely though:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307

Great info, thanks jhoff! cool.gif

I didn't know about "power-only USB", but it makes total sense with the G930 cable because, in addition to charging the headset, in the middle of the cable it connects to a dock for a standard USB wireless transmitter dongle. I bet the dock terminates the data beyond that point.

Either way, I needed to make a Monoprice order today anyway, so this is an easy add.

Thanks again!!!!

post #11 of 14 Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
After using Xbox One gamepad on my PC, whenever I want to switch back to console I have to connect the gamepad with the cable, otherwise it won't work with the Xbox One. I push the logo on the gamepad, it blinks for a few seconds and then turns off. Not really convenient if you have both PC and Xbox One.

Other than that, it's really a joy to play PC games with this new controller. Would love to see support on PC for vibrating Impulse Triggers now that the drivers are available.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I didn't think about it, but the PS4 includes a micro-USB charging cable for the dual shock 4. biggrin.gif I tried connecting it to the PC and the XB1 controller, and it works great - albeit short.

I played some Pinball Arcade, and the XB1 controller works great on the PC - smooth triggers and a nice feel to the feedback. Looking forward to a wireless dongle solution someday, but the 6' cable ordered from Monoprice should do the trick when it arrives.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Plugged the controller in and tried some Singularity today. Sell me a dongle already! The One controller really is a fantastic controller. Might need to grab two USB cables so I can get the One controller to my couch...

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Yep have to resync the controller to the xbox one after connecting it to the PC. Amusing as the PC is wired.
Perhaps another controller update is in order?
Dongle me.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page