AVS Forum banner

How do you play PC games in 3D ? used to know but forgot about it...

3K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  bd2003 
#1 ·
First off, I'd like to apologize for this post, because I know that this info could be found out from a few google searches, but sometimes you'll accidentally get led in the wrong direction if you read the wrong thing first, and I know you guys are experts on everything, that it's just so much easier to ask you guys.

I got a 3D plasma TV a number of years back, and I knew everything about how to run PC games in 3D, but all the info has seemed to completely vanish from my brain. Normally not a big deal, because the 3D thing turned out to mostly be a crappy gimmick, but I just ended up getting a brand new projector that happens to do 3D. I figure I might as well test out some PC games in 3D.

For example, I have Batman Arkham Asylum on PC that I think has a special 3D mode or something. Or, it's supposed to look really nice in 3D. I'm using a BenQ W1070 projector, and I have two pairs of the 144hz DLP Link glasses. I know I need to pay like some $40 fee, or $50 fee for some drivers to use on various games... right ? Basically, could somebody give me the skinny on what I should do if I want to play some PC games in 3D on my BengQ W1070. Isn't there some free 3D drivers out there called Tri Def or something ? Or maybe you have to pay for that as well. I guess I'd be willing to pay a bit, cause I have a bunch of older PC games I need to play through, and I could try running some of them in 3D and might be kinda cool.

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1535254/how-do-you-play-pc-games-in-3d-used-to-know-but-forgot-about-it#post_24816794

My primary gaming PC is Windows 7 and it's a Nvidia 560 Ti from mid 2010.

I'm pretty sure I did the 3DTV trial back when I first got my 3D Plasma.

I guess I just need to drop $40 on it and deal with it.

Just warning you....3D support is basically dead for games since 2011-2012 or so. Don't bother unless you have a large backlog to work through.

Even then, the vast majority of games require hacks (google helix mod). There have been some attempts at fixing 3D for newer games, but it's getting so difficult for them to do in DX11 that it's probably going to dry up soon.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1535254/how-do-you-play-pc-games-in-3d-used-to-know-but-forgot-about-it#post_24816794

Some of the best 3D gaming out there has to be Trine 2, that game requires a decent rig to run full on let alone 3D (it pushes my gtx780oc in 3D... all settings max).

See if you can run the games you want to play in 3D at 720p 120 fps (using fraps with no v-sync), most modern games are not likely to hit 120 fps via a 560ti unless the settings are turned fairly low.

Even the stronger 750ti cannot do 3D all that well, I tried it.

Jason

#8 ·
Quote:Originally Posted by Anthony1 

Some of the best 3D gaming out there has to be Trine 2, that game requires a decent rig to run full on let alone 3D (it pushes my gtx780oc in 3D... all settings max).

See if you can run the games you want to play in 3D at 720p 120 fps (using fraps with no v-sync), most modern games are not likely to hit 120 fps via a 560ti unless the settings are turned fairly low.

Even the stronger 750ti cannot do 3D all that well, I tried it.

Jason
Max settings on trine 2 are a little insane though....I think the highest setting uses 4xSSAA.

#9 ·
I also play games in 3D on my W1070 and 560 Ti. Generally performance is fine in 720p 3D. Be sure to set your games to run in 720p 60hz for 3DTV Play to work. I select 720p 3D in the Nvidia control panel before I load up a game. By the way, any 120hz compatible DLP-link glasses will work for 720p PC games on the W1070.

Note that a few games have problems running in 720p 60hz due to a bug with the W1070. It ends up running in 1280x800 120hz, which isn't 3DTV Play compatible. I know Arkham City is a problem, not sure about Arkham Asylum. There's a solution though, you just need to do an EDID override. Read this thread for how to do it, if you require it: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/573000/3d-vision/benq-w-1080st-3dtv-play-help/2/

Remember to unlock convergence in the Nvidia control panel. You'll want to turn that up to get games looking their best in 3D.

While it's true that DX11 games tend to be problems in 3D, there are still plenty of new games that work well in 3D. Recently I've been playing Dark Souls 2 in 3D, for example. Helixmod has tons of fixes for games that need them, and some DX11 fixes have been done recently (ACIII and IV). About 75% of my gaming has been in 3D the past year, and I'm not too worried about the future.

#10 · (Edited)
Since just about every game in DX9 has been fixed (afaik), 3D gaming has been alive and well, at least on the PC. Just load it up with 3DTV Play enabled and have your resolution set at 1280x720 and it should do the rest. Make sure to enable the hidden convergence hotkeys and others in the options menu, which are hidden for some super strange reason (all things considered).

I like the holodeck, totally realistic look to enhance the game, others like the miniaturization because of the greater 3D perception between more objects (i assume). To set for realistic, i'd measure your IPD first with a ruler and a mirror. Then set the depth, F3 and F4 such that objects in the distance, further than say 300 virtual ft are apart by your IPD measurement, then adjust convergence, F5 and F6, so that things in front of you look correctly sized and distanced. Human 3D perception is VERY complicated and sensitive to changes some variation in the above may fit you better. Antialiasing helps a lot. Post Process AA hurts a lot, at least on my LCD, which is scaled. Maybe try the EYE: Divine Cybermancy demo on steam, that doesn't require much horsepower. Strange, but sometimes super interesting game.

Also, you might try some screenshots at least to see what your in for 3D wise. This user uses a projector and might look perfect on your screen, although probably not and it will require a little separating or bringing together. http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/eqzitara/page/5/

or mine, which will require you to use the projector's setting to shrink the amount of separation a little, but are made with the realistic 3D.
http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/libertine

Trine 2 on PC had custom depth convergence sliders right in the menu, not sure if the PS4 version does or not, but if not i hear console users can at least get more depth by i believe telling the game you have a smaller screen or something. Anyway, you should be able to push those little characters and/or the whole scene right in front of you, like reach out and touch everything front.

#11 ·
I also have a w1070 (just showed up yesterday) and would like to game with it, 3D

If I buy a geForce 750 am I good?

I know the newer games don't really work, but I'm very happy with older games like Skyrim, Mass Effect(s), Mirror's Edge, Portal/Team Fortress 2, etc.

#12 ·
As long as you're not dead set on a solid 60fps and you've got a good enough CPU, a 750 should be adequate for 3d in older games.

#14 ·
So should I go for the (very expensive) 780 or will a 760 have me covered? Currently gaming on a mobile 5750 in an iMac very happily.

#15 ·
The 760 is very capable and would obviously offer a better 3D gaming experience (vs 750).

If you want to be able to play in 3D at higher settings with most games a 770 would be the way to go, it's the current 'sweet spot' gpu.

A 780 or two for the most demanding games @ max settings + 3D (like Crysis 3, Trine 2, Metro).

For me I want the game looking its best while in 3D because I am not into 3D as much as I am into graphic quality. I know others that will play in 3D with the game on low settings in order to maintain a smooth 3D experience.

It depends on how high you want your in game graphic settings, do you want to see the game looking its best while in 3D or are you more interested in simply experiencing 3D gaming...?

Jason

#17 ·
#19 ·
It's too early to declare the end of 3D Vision. Those two guys are moving on, but the tools to fix games still exist. People come and people go (Helix himself has been inactive for a long time). It's just a question of whether or not other people will/can come in to fill the void.

#20 ·
From the sounds of it, he only gave up because nvidia did. If they're not going to at least provide the community the support they need to fix this stuff themselves, it's a lost cause.

I was just listening to a podcast where a bunch of nvidia reps basically flat out admitted 3d vision was a failure, and they're looking to at least salvage some of the tech adapt it to VR/oculus. Maybe some of that will filter back down to traditional displays, but it'll be years before 3D is back in full swing.

#22 ·
I might as well just wait for HDMI 2.0 cards. When do Nvidia cards start to arrive with hdmi 2.0 ? I normally try to get the best card I can get for under $300, but I know sometimes you have to bump that up another hundred. At that point though, I'd be more interested in waiting and hoping to play PS4 XB1 level games in legit 4K. Yeah, might need to wait till Spring 2016, which is a long wait, but I can do it. I'll just game on console till then, and play older games that run great on my 560 Ti via my current PC.

If Fallout 4 looks super amazing on a super high end PC, before Spring 2016, I might cave, but other than that I think I can hold out.

#25 ·
I can't imagine it's a legal issue. What dev is going to use nvidia for fixing and adding features to their game?

#26 ·
I can't imagine it's a legal issue. What dev is going to sue nvidia for fixing and/or adding features to their game?
What company is going to knowingly violate copyright law? Hope that developers won't challenge them on it isn't much assurance. There are many pages, but if you haven't, we should all read up:

Here's the thread that introduced Compatibility Mode. Pay attention to SteveK@NVIDIA's posts in the context of what others are saying: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/679547/?comment=4119587

Here's the current thread about the developments we're discussing: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...hought-you-all-should-know-dark-times-ahead-/

#27 ·
One more important one to add: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...fficial-337-50-beta-driver-feedback-thread/7/

Read the whole thread for context, then read SteveK's post at the bottom of page seven along with the post right above his, and it's a strong indication to me that they can't simply modifty shaders as Helixmod does. Another user strongly suggested in previous posts that it would be against copyright law, and I think that's what he's alluding to.

#28 ·
What motive could a dev possibly have to sue nvidia for copyright infringement for improving their game? It makes zero sense for anyone to even suggest that, and if that's their excuse, it sounds more to me like a convenient scapegoat than a real objection.

SteveK@NVIDIA

No, sorry - what I meant was it's a reflection of the current trends in the 3D market, which is not nearly as "hot" as it was when 3D Vision debuted. It's an installed base/value/time and cost consideration. Look at the overall 3D market and the trends were talking about here more or less reflect those.
This pretty much sums it up - it's not worth their time. And I accept that. I don't like it, but I accept it. I just think people should be aware going forward that they're not getting the real deal.

It's not the first time we've seen tech backpedal....3D audio was a thing for a while. And what happened to that? A single company (creative) cornered the market, ceased to meaningfully develop it, and devs and gamers moved on and just accepted an inferior solution (5.1 and virtual surround downmixing) as good enough, if they even bothered at all.

It was fun while it lasted. Most people will never know how awesome it was.

#29 ·
About devs suing for copyright infringement, it just doesn't make sense to me that Nvidia would hand out "sue us for free if you ever feel like it" cards. As a simplistic example, imagine if ATI bought a developer whose shaders were modified by Nvidia. They could use it as an excuse to take a bite out of Nvidia. Not because they actually feel wronged about modified shaders, but because what's bad for Nvidia is good for ATI.

These sorts of things happen all the time. Take the current Halbig v. Burwell case in the US. It's not that the plaintiffs are really bothered that there's a slip in the law's wording. No one is hurt by it. Rather, they don't like Obamacare and they're taking advantage of it to do some damage.

Of course Nvidia is being realistic about the current 3D market, but they also say they're still committed to it. I don't expect much at all from them (3D Vision was already in a state of neglect when I jumped in), but I don't expect them to drop it completely (they always have the option to drop it from future driver releases). As I said before, there are other people out there who can step up to do fixes, it's just a question of if they will. People have been prematurely declaring 3D Vision dead for a long time.

#30 ·
It's true that 3d Vision hasn't been a vast commercial success; although *I* think it's better than sliced cheese, lots of big-name hardware sites didn't, and said so often and loudly.

Part of the discontent is that FPS gaming is not actually the best usecase for 3d. You would think it would be, right? See out the eyes, be in the world. However, FPS is largely played where your hands (gun/laser/bow/whatever) and your eyes track together, and usually feature instantaneous turning via mouse-flick. (You try turning 180 degrees while running full speed and not losing a step out in meatspace). Also, FPS games typically push the graphics envelope, which means they're often using coding shortcuts to produce playable speeds and/or cutting-edge graphics effects ... many of these tricks mess with the Z information key to a good 3d experience.

However, the vast, vast majority of titles I bother to spend time on work flawlessly with 3d Vision without resorting to 3rd-party hacks. Some of these run in DX11; others don't. If you're doing sim-racing or flight-simming, or even MMORPGing, 3d is stunning (although MMOGs usually render HP and other overlays at screen depth, so a bit of tuning is required).

To that end why would NV spend lots of time chasing down, title-by-title, patches to shortcuts game creators chose to use in lieu of proper Z information?

Plus, as the above noted, no matter how good backlighting pulsing and other optimizations of 3d Vision 2 are, it's still a pair of active shutter glasses; there will always be a bit of ghosting and it does turn my 120hz monitor into a 60hz experience. The Oculus (and any others, like Sony's goggles) are truly two screens; it is just that bit better, so it has the buzz. If people develop AAA titles to work with the Rift, they'll work with 3d Vision too.

#34 ·
A completely different API. The output image needs to be warped to account for the oculus optics. If you tried to just output the oculus signal to a monitor it would look crazy.

#38 ·
When I speak of stereo 3D, I'm only talking about the monitor variety, not VR/AR. Monitor 3D is as good as dead, and oculus isn't a sure thing. People rejected monitor 3D because of wacky headgear, a lack of content and a major hassle and expensive in getting it to work...and oculus is worse off than 3D vision on all those counts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.