asrock b85m-itx and corsair cx500 power supply - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-12-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
asrock b85m-itx and corsair cx500 power supply

hello, Im in the process of building my first gaming computer and i'm looking for a little assistance. I've purchased the motherboard and powersupply listed above, and they are suppose to be compatible. However the problem is when I try to test to see if I can get the power supply to turn on nothing happens. I think the problem is that the asrock b85m-itx instruction says it has an 8-pin ATX12V1 even though when you look at it there's only 4 pins. And the corsair cx500 power supply comes with 1 x 4+4 Pin EPS 12V.

Now per the instructions on the motherboard it says:
"This motherboard pro-
vides an 8-pin ATX 12V
power connector. To use a
4-pin ATX power supply,
please plug it along Pin 1
and Pin 5".

I have no idea what this means and I think this is where my problem lies. I'm checking to see if anyone has ever used these two componets in their builds?? Any help with greatly be appreicated, this is my first gaming pc build and what a pain I tell ya lol. And again both of these components per there websites are compatible but I haven't a clue to get them to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-12-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I'm sure some of my more learned brethren in the HTPC area will chime in and steer you in the right direction. But to my eyes you have not provided them with very much information to assist you. For example...What total system spec are you trying to achieve...GPU...CPU...SLI/Crossfire...Storage capacity/scheme/speed...Monitor needs...HTPC video, or just pure gaming...Drive types...Optimization targets like FPS in 720p or less?/1080p?/4k?...2D/3D/VR/ ready?...Audio specs...case requirements...and etc. The road to satisfaction is vast with PC gaming. The best hardware of last year or 3 will yield excellent results for games of today and the next 2-4 years. And do it much cheaper! But the new stuff starting to come out will give optimum performance for the next 5 years. Right now your problem could be as simple as there is really nothing for the power supply to turn on or the MB to read. Perhaps MaraficeEye, BD2003 or another esteemed follower of this thread can assist you with the 2 pieces of specific hardware mentioned
post #3 of 3 Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
A 4 pin mobo can accept half of the 8 pin (4+4) PS connection in most circumstances.

Simply match one half of the 4+4 PS connection, notice how some are rounded and some are square...

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply HTPC Gaming
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page