post #1 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 186
My New HTPC build

I finally received my case and started to put my pc together. Turns out the MB is mostly dead. The LEDs for the sound card section would light up. The LED light for the CMOS clear jumper lit up when used. But nothing else happened. I couldn't get any USB keyboards to work, or mice. Speaker never beeped and never got a video image. From the onboard gpu or my 770. No post. Tried everything, for most of the day. Such a bummer.

So, back to newegg it goes, killing my combo deal, because I want a different MB. I didn't pay attention to the 6 stat ports. I changed it up for one with 8 ports. Just in case I do use a m.2 drive down the road, and it kills the last 2 ports.

Also just bought myself a 512g crucial mx100. Anyone else have one of these? Around the same speeds as the samsung pro drives, but half the price. I hope it works, and lasts.

Another problem I am running into is my ram. I have to cut back to 8 gigs now because my lower profile pieces are 4x 2g. The other set of 2x8g has a massive heat spreader that doesn't fit under my cooler.

Anyone ever taken off their ram heatsinks? I'm thinking about doing this, as the equivalent ram now is almost 2x the cost of what I paid for this.

I'll post up some pictures when I get the new motherboard.

Edit: after googling ram heatsink removal, someone suggested grinding down the fins in one thread. This could be an option for me as I have a grinder, and not a heat gun. I just don't know how safe that is. Heat gun seems risky as well. More googling!

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Last edited by Yrd; 07-30-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 218
What cooler did you get? It might just be a case of swapping the fan around. In my old comp I had to slide the fan up about half an inch for the RAM to fit under it but it worked fine.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #3 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Special Member

It's a Noctua NH-L12. It's pretty uniformly square, I don't think a different spin will fix it. I'll double check, though I believe I had the best angle already. Further googling the grinding option, lead to someone suggesting against voiding the warranty.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #4 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
It's a Noctua NH-L12. It's pretty uniformly square, I don't think a different spin will fix it. I'll double check, though I believe I had the best angle already. Further googling the grinding option, lead to someone suggesting against voiding the warranty.
I used the Hyper 212+ in my old build and the fan was moveable. It just clipped to the fins so I moved it up half an inch to clear the RAM. In your case, I think it may have been a bad idea to go with the L12. It's nice that it's low profile, but that really hinders your RAM choices. BUT, since it it a low-profile cooler, there may be a rotation that lets your RAM fit. Otherwise you're SOL and will have to get new RAM or a diff cooler.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #5 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Different cooler will be the choice if, I have to. I'll just use the stock until I find a good deal. The ram I got was $80 for 2x 8g. Same ram costs $150-180 now. Not buying new ram.

It's really the z97 board being the problem. My old board, that I can't remove my old cooler's backplate from, has 6 slots and wouldn't interfere at all. The other issue is the dual channel mode is every other slot, which also ruins any option of avoiding the cooler. If they were adjacent slots I could skip the closest two.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #6 of 10 Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I had previously, the MSI gaming 5, only had 6 SATA slots. The next model up was more expensive than the z97 mpower, so I went with that one. Had the 8 SATA slots I wanted. Another benefit is the m.2 port isn't directly under the first pci slot. Will be easy to install that, if I ever get one.

I got everything installed. I had to un-clip the bottom fan of the noctua to slide it next to the ram, as the clip added an extra centimeter of dimensions to the heatsink. It's pushing the ram to the side ever so slightly. I'm hoping that's not going to cause damage to the ram or the slot it's in. There's a constant pressure being applied.

I think the fan will be ok, it's not moving. I positioned the clip inside the fins against of piece of anti vibration rubber that was glued in there. Hopefully it doesn't move over time with repeated power ups. Can't really see under there once it's installed.

I love the case format for HTPC purposes, but I hate working inside it. There's tiny screws to hold everything in place. If I need to access one hard drive, I have to unscrew 4 screws to get the cage out. Then each hard drive is attached using more screws. Same with the OD drive bays. I was afraid my video card would prevent me from using the second hard drive cage, which I don't have in the pictures, but I think I might be able to get it in there, with the cables going the opposite direction.

I put my old video card back into the PC I was using before this. Kept the windows 7 hard drive and 2 other 3 tb with most of my media in there. I haven't decided how to handle this. The new pc is going to be on my wall with my projector screen. The desk for the old computer is on the adjacent wall with a door inbetween. I haven't figured out how to handle the wiring yet. I don't want it draped across the floor, in the doorway, as it is now.

Apparently the little usb 3 hub I bought is bad, or has a bad port somewhere. I plugged it in with a long cable, so I could have it on the desk, but win8 keeps making the noise of disconnected hardware. Took forever to find out it was the hub, it was, of course, the last thing I checked. Removed the hub and the noise stops.

Oh, here are the current contents:

i5 4690k
MSI z97 mpower
Corsair vengeance 2x 8g
MSI GTX770 4g
Crucial mx100 512g
1 seagate 3tb
Liteon bluray drive
Seasonic 660w
Lian-Li PC-C60a silver case
I don't typically OC, but I will delve into that with this system. I'm going to run a game or two first, to see how the thermals are in it's current state.

Edit: wouldn't you know it, the case, in black, comes in stock at newegg $20 cheaper at newegg once again. After months of out of stock.
DaverJ likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Last edited by Yrd; 08-02-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-06-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
I'm sure you can get an easy 4.5ghz out of that.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #8 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Since I'm sort of new to Win 8. I don't know how to fix this. I have a laptop with Win8 and now this new machine is win 8. When I change the wallpaper of one it changes it for the other. How do I make that stop?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #9 of 10 Old 08-20-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Since I'm sort of new to Win 8. I don't know how to fix this. I have a laptop with Win8 and now this new machine is win 8. When I change the wallpaper of one it changes it for the other. How do I make that stop?

You can change what you sync in PC settings, the metro version of the control panel.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #10 of 10 Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just built my first PC last week using some parts from my current PC and new parts. Here is what I have so far.

I5-4690K
ASROCK Z97 Extreme 4
*** These 2 from Microcenter for $289 and also a $15 rebate***
G. Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB
Coolmaster Hyper 212 Cooler
Corsair Carbide 200R Case

Old Parts
1TB and 500GB HD's
GTX 560Ti
600W Power Supply
ASUS BluRay Burner

Going to purchase after Christmas or Black Friday