Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Building HTPC to play Wii and stream Movies online

Hi all,

Actually the case is, my gf been bugging me to dig out that old wii of mine amongs the dozen of boxes in the balcony so she can play her favorite shooting games.(its seem her favorite de-stressing method is shooting at zombies) I also happened to know she gonna get a xiaomi box 2 for watching tv online. So instead of buying a 80usd tv box, Im thinking of building a HTPC for her to view her favorite tv drama, play that resident evil game w a decent resolution + airplay...

However, i dont wanna spend too much, however i have no idea what specs will be sufficient for these uses? I suspect the emulation needed for the wii might be more taxing than i expect... I was think of going AMD APU but worry about the both the cpu prowess and gpu of it....

The casing the smaller then better, best if silent.. However im not too worry about those as much..

Can anyone point me in the right direction on the hardware needed for these?... All helps is appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you want to build an HTPC just to play Wii games and stream online, I'd just recommend getting a PS4. $399, next gen, streaming, and MUCH better value. If you want quality Wii emulation you're going to need a decent quad core processor as well as a pretty good GPU. Just the GPU/CPU could end up being more than a PS4.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post
If you want to build an HTPC just to play Wii games and stream online, I'd just recommend getting a PS4. $399, next gen, streaming, and MUCH better value. If you want quality Wii emulation you're going to need a decent quad core processor as well as a pretty good GPU. Just the GPU/CPU could end up being more than a PS4.
Yea i Discovered that, G3258 with Z87 board and GTX 750 card or 3-4330 with H81 board and no dedicated GPU will both set me back @ $390+ and $340+ respectively... But can PS4 doing streaming from app like youku for K-drama and etc, function like a ROKU or a xiaomi box set?
post #4 of 8 Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Phua View Post
Yea i Discovered that, G3258 with Z87 board and GTX 750 card or 3-4330 with H81 board and no dedicated GPU will both set me back @ $390+ and $340+ respectively... But can PS4 doing streaming from app like youku for K-drama and etc, function like a ROKU or a xiaomi box set?
The PS4 can't do that. But we should note it's an evolving platform so who knows what they might add. It does have a lot of other streaming services.

You just can't beat the value though.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Dolphin is all CPU, it doesn't take advantage of graphics processing much. As such, you are better going for an i5 or i7 rather then an AMD A8/A10. There will be a pretty big difference in Dolphin performance between the two.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #6 of 8 Old 09-04-2014, 01:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Older gear can do it should you be interested in going that route...

I have many pc's that can run Dolphin 3.0 and the weakest that averages 60fps is an OC'd e8500 dual core (to 4 Ghz) with a GTX650.

- e8500 cpu $19.50 shipped
- Asus P5e deluxe mobo $75 shipped
- Antec 4000e case $19 after mir
- GTX650 2gb $80
- WD hd 500gb $38

The newer versions of dolphin emulate more accurately but do require more power (much like M.A.M.E.).

I know this type of 'use' is suspect but we only emulate the Wii games that we own retail versions of (which there are honestly only a handful worth emulating). Dolphin here is mainly used for Mario Kart on my multi arcade cabinet because my Autistic son enjoys having access to all of his favorite games on one easy to use device where he can select what he wants to play on his own (running a custom Maximus Arcade front end).

Best of luck,
Jason
post #7 of 8 Old 09-04-2014, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I'd go the PC+Emulator route since that will open up PC games as well, like the Left 4 Dead series. Plenty of options to deal with zombies in those games, like chain saw, gasoline, cricket bat, and katana. The Wolfdale Core 2 rig mentioned in the above post with the GTX 650 or 750 ( Maxwell-based ) would play that game fine. I played that game fine with a 560ti.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #8 of 8 Old 09-05-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
I was toying around with dolphin over the weekend....my 4790K runs SMG almost perfectly. It's ridiculous how good that game looks in 1080p with super high AA.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply HTPC Gaming
Gear in this thread - A8 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page