AVS Forum banner

Help me buy a 980ti

498 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Yrd 
#1 ·
I can't personally decide on which one I want. I'm leaning toward the msi lightning because it's the quietest one of all, that I'm aware of. The others I'm considering are the evga hybrid, classified, msi gaming, and their water-cooled card. The ones over $700 are giving me pause, just because of the price. I've never paid over 3 or 4 hundred for a card before.

I'd have used the 5% off at newegg to buy one today if the stupid free games didn't disqualify it. I don't even want the games they're giving away.

#6 ·
Which one? I really want the lightning for the Temps and low noise. But $100+ premium for the normal and $40 premium for a bottom clocked LE is making it hard for me to bite. I nearly bought it yesterday but the newegg app kept konking out on me and I didn't have access to my laptop the whole day.

Gonna give it a couple more days to see if any deals pop up. Highly doubt it, but I can't help but not spend $700 on a video card.

#7 ·
The normal I guess, it's the red and black one, I bought it when the 980 Ti first came out.

#8 ·
If money isn't flowing right now, it might be best to look ahead when considering such an expensive GPU purchase, as Nvidia's Pascal parts are not that far down the road with the first half of 2016 being the current expectation. I usually say buy big for today, but this architecture (along with the process benefits) is looking to demolish current GPUs.

#9 ·
I went with the lightning le. We'll see.

I thought about waiting for pascal when I read a couple articles about it. I read some more and it seems lots of places are blowing it out of proportion due to misinterpretation. People were taking the 10x better completely wrong. It's not going to be anything near that. Plus if I want something similar to 980ti, it's going to be a much longer wait than their first available cards.

Right now I have a single 770 and I want to push 1440p with high settings - not gonna happen.

#11 ·
I thought about waiting for pascal when I read a couple articles about it. I read some more and it seems lots of places are blowing it out of proportion due to misinterpretation. People were taking the 10x better completely wrong. It's not going to be anything near that. Plus if I want something similar to 980ti, it's going to be a much longer wait than their first available cards.
It definitely will not be anywhere near 10x better for gaming, even in 4K territory. That estimate seemed to be for certain enterprise workloads that completely thrive on the improvements afforded by HBM2 bandwidth and enterprise-grade "NVLink" interconnect.

Enjoy your new card!

#10 ·
I had a quick look at my new xb271hu. Only had an hour with it. It's amazing, compared to my Dell 2405 the profile of the screen is almost exactly the same. The outside bezel is almost non existent. I was worried about desk space, but it's not even an issue. No dead pixels, there was a small bleed or cloud up on the top left corner, but I can give it a pass.

Now I want two more...

#13 ·
Well, boohoo for me. The case I thought this would fit in is not even close. This thing is massive. I had to dig out my old HAF full tower case. I hate steel cases. So I need to find myself a good aluminum case with enough space for this behemoth. I also bought one of those fancy CPU water coolers from corsair. Got the one with the double thick radiator.

I'm wondering if you can detach the tubes somehow and refill the liquid, or keep the liquid from coming out when you detach it. All my cases have holes for water tubes, but they can't be used unless you fish the tubes through unattached. Would be nice to attach the radiator outside the case.

Limited time to mess around though. Gonna see how much OC on the GPU I can achieve if I get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.