AVS Forum banner

Gaming 2016: It Could Be An Epic Year!

3K views 72 replies 17 participants last post by  barrelbelly 
#1 · (Edited)
2016 is set up to be a Barn Burner or Barn Fire year in the videogame world. The article below opines that 44 new games scheduled to launch, will deliver something special for everyone. And it's not even counting the smaller release Indie & arcade style surprises that always popup to amaze us. While I will not buy 44 of these games in 2016...I most definitely will snatch or test drive 5-8 from my own list from the 44.
  1. Mass Effect Andromeda-XBox 1 or PC if compatible with Oculus Rift
  2. Deus Ex-Mankind Divided-XBox 1
  3. Crackdown 3-XBox 1
  4. Eve Valkyrie-PC/Oculus Rift
  5. Adrift-PC/Oculus Rift/XBox 1
  6. Edge of Nowhere-PC/Oculus Rift
  7. XCom 2 Retaliation-PC
  8. No Man's Sky-PC

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/27/10449074/best-new-exciting-games-2016-xbox-one-ps4-oculus-rift-pc

Which one's are you all most looking forward to playing?

See less See more
#44 ·
Ok, so I go to Fry's to return an SSD and grab an adapter, browse the graphics cards for the heck of it and I find (hidden behind a bunch of Strix R9 390x boxes) an Asus Strix GTX 980 ti OC, which is the same exact card I already have at home.

They have no other 980ti's in the store and I figure this has to be my destiny, right...

Get home (part excited, part skeptical), toss it in and fire up a good variety of games... 2/3 of them run worse vs a single 980ti (at 4K/60). :(

Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark dips to 10.78 fps during Geo Thermal Valley on a 4790k @ 4.6ghz with SLI 980ti's... WTF! :eek:

This pretty much confirms why we need a 4K single card solution. :cool:

- Jason

#45 ·
Did you benchmark both gpus separetly and compare with other known baseline resulls online. I always do this before stripping the fans off several gpus to put on waterblocks and backplates. Sure, the new one is more likely fine but it never hurts to ckeck by itself to rule that out. When i get into work later i must surely now ckeck sli @ 4k performance results with games and synth benchs.

#61 ·
Leo won't give up. lol Good for him.

Still can't believe how Comcast screwed them from the TechTV days and in a spark of "brilliance" decided to kill G4 for Esquire because yeah we know G4 and Esquire is the absolutely same audience. :rolleyes:

#50 · (Edited)
LOL, that's good. :D

No offense taken, here is why...

* I never intended on doing sli when I built this pc. :eek:

It's been shown that the difference from 8x/8x to 16x/16x on pci-e 3.0 is hardly anything (something like 3% max difference).

I researched it before going with the 4790k (vs 5820k or 5930k) and real world result is the 5820k has 2 additional cores (for software that can use it) but generally does not clock as high as the 4790k.

The 5820k can't do 16x/16x either since it has 28 lanes (the 5930k would be required to move to 16x/16x with its 40 available lanes).

Dual channel vs Quad channel memory is also a very minimal difference (if any) for gaming where dual channel is not a bottleneck of any kind.

None of these features would result in up to a 50% benchmark difference (some of their results compared to mine) so there must be something else at work here. :confused:

- Jason

#53 · (Edited)

No offense taken, here is why...

- Jason
I built my system back in 2010 and have been using the x58 Asus Rampage MOBO ever since :D I have only done a GPU upgrade from SLI to Tri-SLI since then and that was back in 2013.

Ok, just did some online digging and now I remember back in 2013 when deciding to go from two GPU's at x16/x16 my MOBO could do three but only at x16/x8/x8 and I was concerned so after looking into this I discovered/remembered exactly what you are saying, that the performance hit for this change was not something to be worried about. But, I'm not sure about x8/x8 having the primary GPU at only x8 ... IDK, never even looked into if that would be an issue.

As far as my opinion about the benefit of multi-GPU is concerned. For me anyway, I created an MS Excel spreadsheet just before installing the new GPUs and the worksheet was pretty comprehensive. It included a list of various benchmarks like in-game (pre-cooked) ones like Metro/RE/TomeRaider/SleepingDogs/BioShock/Batman/.../...etc and then Synth-Benches like Furmark, Fluidmark, Tessmark, 3Dmark's, Cinebench, Catzilla, Unigine ..etc. The spreadsheet has multiple tabs for eg. (old-GPUx1, old-GPUx2, old-GPUx3, new-GPUx1, new-GPUx2, new-GPUx3, GPUx1--Compare-old/new, GPU-SLI--Compare-old/new, GPUxTRI-SLI--Compare-old/new). All that was needed was to run the benchmark of choice and input the FPS or Score. Then, results generated for Min/Max/Avg for each group/type of benchmarks. This allowed me to draw an accurate comparison of benefits gained from 1/2/3 GPU's and also the benefit gained from new generation GPUs comparing 1/2/3 with the older and seeing if SLI is still being a valid scaling benefit. Also, to note was that I realized that even though a percentage sound good like 35% boost adding 3rd GPU, unless the system is already pushing the difficult stuff FPS over 30 then the increase even at that percentage is not that beneficial. The spreadsheet presents the information in bar-graphs, Avg. FPS Delta, and Percentages Scaling Increase. :) I even named it "Bench iT 123".

What I found was that there was a good performance increase when using SLI The average between both game engine and utility synth benches was (80%), and a smaller performance increase on top of that when doing Tri-SLI (35%). Since I knew an investment in GPU's along with Waterblocks and Backplates are made with considering the future in mind, and also that by the time I may see a GPU fail my GPU model may no longer be sold it made perfect sense (to me) to get three GPU's with one being a possible spare to still allow for SLI in the advent that one went bad.

Memory Channels....well for gaming, ummm, I guess, well, probably wrong about that. Remember the last time I begin my build was in 2010 and they were marketing Triple-Channel memory :D

Unfortunately for me, when 2017 comes around and I go to build my next system. I am sure to get whatever is at the top whether multi-channel or multi-gpu. I just couldn't do it any different.

#51 ·
Well today was a bust on the next series of graphics cards from Nvidia, looks like it will be another couple months for an announcement.

I'm seeing the prices tick up on 980ti's online and they seem to be selling at a higher than normal rate, my local Fry's had decent quantity of multiple brands one weekend and all gone the next.

It was stated that Nvidia is halting production on the 980ti but I don't know if that was confirmed.

- Jason

#58 ·
Nvidia basically ignored the consumer gpu market, nothing was announced.

If AMD jumped-in now they could build some hype but it's feeling like neither company is 'ready'.

- Jason

#59 ·
GTC is not really a consumer focused event. I suspect that Nvidia will have plenty ready for the consumer segment by the time Computex hits. For now, they will give their AIB partners more time to clean out stock of their remaining, soon to be supplanted Maxwell parts. ;)

#60 ·
Yeah, that's about what I expected but all of the so-called insider info (speculation) was pointing to there being an announcement. :cool:

- Jason

#63 ·
IMO it's already there. That is exactly the size, spec and feature package I want in a new monitor. I actually thirst for a monitor like that, more than a VR headset right now. I'll have to give Philips a peek this summer, when I'm shopping for a new monitor. What's really cool is how I can run a digital OA HDTV tuner, game console/BD-DVD player through a 4K HDMI splitter/switcher...Mobile via MHL...while running my PC through Display Port. And view them side by side. And without need of external speakers because of the built in stereo 7"ers! Hello 5.1 headphones for serious gaming. Those are the kind of convenience features I'd use a lot with a 43" monitor. I just hope these babies don't come in at nosebleed prices. If they're equivalent to a VR display in price...I'm going this route first. Even though VR will be very close behind (Christmas-spring 2017).

#71 ·
The new Broadwell-E Intel cpus are looking pretty nice

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3076...er-offering-10-cores-for-a-whopping-1723.html

I don't know how much longer I can go without upgrading. The last 3-5yrs have been a real challenge for the industry IMO and nothing has really tempted me during that time. But now it seems there are many technologies (Monitors , GPU's, CPU's, DRAM) are moving forward with real performance increases.

I am trying to hold out until "Socketgate" is over and thing get more stable :p

That 6850K is looking really nice: http://ark.intel.com/products/94188/Intel-Core-i7-6850K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

Already Sold-Out on NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117647

#72 ·
@W3Rman:
yep! PC Gaming tech is entering a real live Shock & Awe phase. That typically comes around in 10-15 year cycles. IMO it is being driven by 2 things. 1) the massive shift to HD 1080p gaming/HDTV/Consoles (of the past 15 years); 2) and now UHD & VR Gaming. The next 15-30 years can be explosive in the gaming sector. That's why I decided to cool my jets just a bit on the upgrades. I tried to jump ahead of the curve in 2014 and got burned on VR tech. It moved so fast in development that it obsoleted me at the starting gate. So I slowed myself down this year to prevent myself from warehousing tomorrow's "tech trash". So I am waiting on the Vega 2 GPU's, new AMD CPU's and new Mobo's to hit before changing again. If I see a real hot deal on a R9-390X I'll snag it to mate with what I already have in the interim. And optimize it with the new 43" 4K/UHD monitor I'm grabbing between June-Nov (Black Friday).

But...while I'm 100% sold on the VR movement...it is just moving way too fast for these tired & retired old bones to keep up with. IMO the upcoming GPU-CPU-DRAM tech Maps are very impressive upgrades...but stop gaps on the VR side. Because...as Palmer Luckey/Iribe said back in 2014...VR will accelerate everything in the gaming & media world swiftly to 8k-16k (if successful). Needless to say there is nothing in the current usage pipeline that can handle even the bandwidth required (wires/wired/wireless/circuits or otherwise) that can deal that. Especially for something like Online Gaming. So I see the big hurdles being solved right now at the 4k threshold. So to my thinking...the upcoming 4k tech you referenced will allow me to be 100% satisfied with gaming and all of my games...in big screen UHD glory. While letting me dabble with VR before dropping the "Mic"...and saying...Barrelbelly out!

#73 · (Edited)
And away they go! VR...NVidia...AMD are breathing fire into the PC gaming world. I used to be a 100% NV guy. But jumped red a few years ago and love it. I just couldn't beat the price to value advantages built into the AMD setup. And the customization options were icing on the cake for me. I'm more of a core tinkerer with PC rigs v hard core. So these latest AMD GPU's look like the "Bee's Knee's" to me. ANd their new R7 based APU's will really energize the Console, Tablet, and Laptop gaming markets IMO.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...-vr-ready-graphics-card/ar-BBtKw9z?li=BBnbklF

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/p...&spJobID=820142241&spReportId=ODIwMTQyMjQxS0#

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.