Oculus Rift pre-orders in 2 days... are you getting one ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 60 Old 01-04-2016, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Oculus Rift pre-orders in 2 days... are you getting one ?

So, the Oculus Rift pre-orders go live on January 6th at 8am pacific time.

No price yet....

Anybody jumping in ?

My take right now is that if it's $399.99 or less, it's pretty interesting, but I just can't get one without knowing everything the Vive has in store. If it's $449.99 or more, then I would rather wait until the touch controllers are included. I just can't justify buying more than one PC VR headset, so I have to make a choice between Vive and Oculus, but haven't tried either one. I don't even know if I'll like VR period. I'm assuming I will, but don't know for sure...

I don't have a PS4 right now, but would also consider getting a PS4 with the headset in a bundle.

Problem is, I'd really like to try all 3 of them to know which one I'm buying, and you can't do that. The idea of blind buying a VR headset is weird to me. I understand the whole scarcity thing, but I seriously doubt they will immediately be selling millions of these things.

Last edited by Anthony1; 01-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I will get both, not sure if I'll bother with the PS version though. I'll be hitting refresh to get my pre-order in on the Oculus though.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3 of 60 Old 01-04-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I'm leaning towards Vive instead. I buy all of my games through Steam anyway, so I don't like the idea of having more content in its own new Oculus-branded walled garden.

Plus, I do have the living room space for room-scale. While Oculus will theoretically be capable of that too, the logistics of doing that with external cameras that need to connect to the PC are far more difficult than 'dumb' laser emitters like the Vive.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 01-04-2016 at 09:06 PM.
post #4 of 60 Old 01-04-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I'll let you guys be the pioneer's right now and I'll wait on the sidelines. I'm usually the guy who waits a generation on products like this but will be very interested in feedback.

Nabs17
post #5 of 60 Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Plus, I do have the living room space for room-scale. While Oculus will theoretically be capable of that too, the logistics of doing that with external cameras that need to connect to the PC are far more difficult than 'dumb' laser emitters like the Vive.
Yeah, the room-scale thing is especially interesting. I have a pretty large area I could mess around with for this, so that might be something that really makes it intriguing. I really like the idea of walking around inside a "space". I just think the laser emitters seems like a more logical idea. Also, how much will Oculus be once you get the touch controllers, because Oculus with 2 cameras and the touch controllers is the true comparison against Vive, so once all the extras are factored in, they might almost be the same price.

For me though, I have to say that I'm not going to be an early adopter like I normally am. My current PC can't really do VR, so not only do I need to buy a new headset, but fully upgrade the PC as well. But before I go down that road, I have to make sure that VR blows my mind, because if it's just a "meh", no way I'm spending about 2 grand to pull this whole thing off. I need to try a demo that totally knocks my socks off, but I have no idea when that is going to happen. Vive and Oculus both need to do mall tours, or be at local Best Buys or something. I need to actually try this crap in person.
post #6 of 60 Old 01-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I don't want my face touching something a greasy neckbeard had on earlier in the day.

I wish this VR trend wasn't so crowded. There are way too many pieces of hardware coming out, and I don't think any of them use any kind of standard. I'll be waiting a bit to buy any hardware.

I have huge respect for Carmack, so I probably float a little toward the Oculus crowd first. I think he's one of the smartest guys in the industry, but if that translates into making something compelling, who knows?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #7 of 60 Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I went to the website to try and find the specs, but couldn't find anything. What is the resolution and refresh rate they ended up with for the production model?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #8 of 60 Old 01-04-2016, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
As someone who has an Oculus Rift DK2, I am waiting for the Vive. Valve simply has them beat at both a hardware and software level, the Steam VR SDK is completely open source, whereas the Oculus SDK is freely available but closed source. The Vive also incorporates two stereo 3D cameras on the front for Augmented Reality and after seeing it and seeing how Valve is using it I think this hardware addition will be essential for consumer VR.

Still, those are just opinions and in the end they probably won't matter. The two devices are not cross-compatible, games compiled with the Oculus SDK do not work on the Vive and vice-versa, so what matters is the headset that the industry adopts as the standard.
post #9 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 716
CNn reports it will be $1500. He stated it while demoing a lithium skateboard. I don't believe he stated it correctly.

The 5.0 is here

Last edited by mboojigga; 01-05-2016 at 08:15 AM.
post #10 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
There are way too many pieces of hardware coming out, and I don't think any of them use any kind of standard. I'll be waiting a bit to buy any hardware.
Valve is creating an open system. The idea is that developers target SteamVR instead of any particular headset, and then SteamVR communicates with the headset itself. It already works with the Oculus DK2 and runtime 0.8 that way. It won't ever be as optimized as stuff written directly for Oculus, but I also greatly prefer this model compared to having Oculus with their own store.

It's ridiculous that price is still unknown, but that $1500 that gets thrown around is supposed to be for the entire experience including gaming PC.

Specifications wise, both the Rift and Vive are 2160x1200 (split between two displays) at 90Hz. Oculus' recommendation on the PC side is a GTX970 level card or better. And the Rift will come with a wireless Xbox One controller, since Touch isn't ready yet.

post #11 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Grey View Post
The two devices are not cross-compatible, games compiled with the Oculus SDK do not work on the Vive and vice-versa, so what matters is the headset that the industry adopts as the standard.

As I mentioned above, not true. The DK2 works with SteamVR just fine. Valve has been pretty good about updating for each new version of the Oculus runtime. Remember, it's in Valve's best interests to get you using their store, no matter what hardware you have.

post #12 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
As I mentioned above, not true. The DK2 works with SteamVR just fine. Valve has been pretty good about updating for each new version of the Oculus runtime. Remember, it's in Valve's best interests to get you using their store, no matter what hardware you have.
DK2 support with SteamVR has been broken for months, and currently does not work at all. I just tried it last week.

Also, the Vive is using a single local display.
post #13 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
DK2 support with SteamVR has been broken for months, and currently does not work at all. I just tried it last week.
Only if your main monitor is the same resolution as the DK2 (1080p). For some reason, this confuses the Valve compositor. Lots of people have had plenty of success playing Elite: Dangerous Horizons using its SteamVR support on the DK2, for example.

As for the dual screens on the Vive, it had dual screens on the prototype before the Rift ever did. I don't think that would have changed. There's no reason to use a single-screen when you need to adjust for people's varying IPD in hardware.

Last edited by jhoff80; 01-05-2016 at 10:01 AM.
post #14 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 AM

I've tried the resolution trick but it dosen't work for me. Could you direct me to where people have had success doing this with Elite? Since it has been broken since 0.7 came out as well.

Last I heard the Vive was using a single global display, but that could have changed. Also as far as I was aware, SteamVR does not add VR support to games that have not been specifically compiled for use with the Oculus. I had not heard of it being used to make the Oculus compatible with games built for the Vive.
post #15 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing that is really amazing to me, is that Oculus is probably going to have 100,000 pre orders from people that have never, ever, had a VR headset on their heads. These people are just going to be really excited individuals for this next-level experience, but what if a good number of these people find out that VR just isn't for them ?

It seems like for every 8 people that love VR, there are 2 people that it just doesn't "work for them". The nausea and whatever else..

I think a better idea might have been to have worked out a special deal with Best Buy, where people can go to Best Buy, actually try a consumer version of the Oculus Rift, and then once they have actually tried it themselves, THEN, they can pre-order it.

Has everybody in this thread already tried a VR headset of some type ?

I haven't tried any. Of course, I haven't been to any trade shows or anything...
post #16 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I've got the headset for my samsung note 4. It's a good demo of what you can expect.

I wanted to try and use the Netflix app to watch video in bed, but the headset can't figure out I'm lying on my back. I tried to set it up that way, but it always thinks I'm looking up. Can't get it to default to that position.
post #17 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've tried the resolution trick but it dosen't work for me. Could you direct me to where people have had success doing this with Elite? Since it has been broken since 0.7 came out as well.

Last I heard the Vive was using a single global display, but that could have changed. Also as far as I was aware, SteamVR does not add VR support to games that have not been specifically compiled for use with the Oculus. I had not heard of it being used to make the Oculus compatible with games built for the Vive.
Elite: Dangerous has not worked natively with the Oculus SDK since 0.7 as you say. However, Elite: Dangerous Horizons includes SteamVR support. With SteamVR, you can use the Vive, or as I mentioned, the Rift DK2 with the newest SDK 0.8.

See this thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220614 or this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...horizons_beta/

post #18 of 60 Old 01-05-2016, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any final predictions on price before it goes live tomorrow ?

My guess is $499.99
post #19 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Elite: Dangerous has not worked natively with the Oculus SDK since 0.7 as you say. However, Elite: Dangerous Horizons includes SteamVR support. With SteamVR, you can use the Vive, or as I mentioned, the Rift DK2 with the newest SDK 0.8.

See this thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220614 or this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...horizons_beta/
Yeah, I think i've read this before. I don't own Elite (only tried it with the demo which was awesome in the rift) but i've been trying to get the DK2 working with Half-Life 2 for ages. The compositor will recognize the HMD but it won't pass the game to the device, and believe me when I say I have tried everything.

I'm still curious about the cross-hardware support that you mentioned. To my knowledge the only games that have ever worked with the Oculus on Steam are games that have been built specifically with Oculus support, like Elite, or HL2, or TF2. Do you have any info about how SteamVR will translate the Oculus' positional tracking data into instructions that games compiled for the Vive can understand? I suppose it dosen't really help me since i'm planning on going with the Vive anyway, so really what would be more useful to me in the long run is a program that makes the Vive work with games compiled for the Oculus, but i'm still interested either way.
post #20 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wow.... $599.99

They can miss me with that shizz.... I'll wait for HTC.
post #21 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM

Yeah, $600 is way too much for technology that is nowhere near perfect yet. You'd think the Facebook acquisition would have driven the cost down not up.
post #22 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Valve is updating SteamVR to work with each new Oculus SDK version. How it's supposed to work (in theory at least):

Developers target SteamVR's specific APIs.

Hardware drivers are also written to support those APIs. Now, in the case of the Vive, HTC and Valve are obviously building from the ground up for that. But Valve makes money from selling games, not hardware. So they want all hardware to run against their APIs, and have been writing a compatibility layer for the Oculus runtime. Basically, they do the work of translating the SteamVR calls to the Oculus runtime. As for HL2 I am not sure that the SteamVR support still exists in that. I've got a few games in my library that show as a separate SteamVR category. Elite Dangerous Horizons is one, as is Crystal Rift. HL2 is not (yet?).

Anyway, I fully expect Rift users to have a more optimized experience using stuff on the Oculus Store, but in theory Valve is trying to keep things as universal as possible. I can already think of places where that won't be possible though (as an example, Hover Junkers requires motion tracked controllers, which Rift won't have at launch.).

Anyway, to get a little more on topic, wow. I am shocked at the price. I had read that it would be more expensive than initial estimates, but still in the same 'ballpark'. I don't consider $600 in the same ballpark as $350. I'd have to think HTC is breathing a sigh of relief here about the pricing. (I personally was expecting around $450 for Rift only, and $650 for Vive including motion controllers. Who knows though?)

Last edited by jhoff80; 01-06-2016 at 10:55 AM.
post #23 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 573
For that price, I want Nervegear.
post #24 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Bought it. $600 to high and $678 shipping and taxes was really hard to swallow but I love Elite Dangerous with my DK2 setup! Love it! Love it! I will have to also update my PC so I will be another $1200 in.

However, I've logged over 500hrs in my DK2 and to me, it's the most amazing thing that I have came across when it comes to entertainment. Now, I will be able to enjoy my other flight sims in full VR! Hotdamn!

Spanglo and cbixby like this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)
post #25 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 01:19 PM

Elite really is one of the best examples of VR gaming currently available. There's also a little Mech-Sim demo out there called Vox Machinae that I loved.

Still, the resolution in the DK2 is lacking and I don't know that the 2160x1200 resolution in the consumer version is going to be enough. I think 4K will be necessary for a truly seamless VR experience with no pixel gaps, but driving 4K @ 90 frames isn't easy. What impressed me the most about the DK2 was the level of persistence it achieved despite these drawbacks, as well as the fact that all of its flaws are realistically solveable. I think the immediate future of this technology looks amazing.
post #26 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Using my note 4 in the gear vr you see a pretty wicked screen door, and it has 1440p display I believe
post #27 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Well as it turns out, people that pledged enough with the DK1 version, get a free consumer version! My sister in law is a graphics designer and her company she works for, get 2 free consumer versions as backers. I'm holding off so I can give the consumer version a try first. 599$ US equals about 800 million CDN at this point lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #28 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I never do first gen but....this is too neet not to pass up. Since the first page of Neuromancer waaaay back in the day. I don't do anything with my PC anymore game wise, this will give it a reason to exist....have they got any of the FPS's dialed in yet with the headlook/joypad movement or is that making people barf

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #29 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm waiting for higher resolution displays in few years. I had a dk2 for about a month and the screen door effect drove me crazy. I know these are better but I don't think the resolution is enough to eliminate it. I think a co-worker is getting one so I'll try his.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
post #30 of 60 Old 01-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Here is a convenient tool to see if your current pc is Oculus Rift ready:

http://ocul.us/compat-tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement