Building the best possible PC tower you can for use with the HTC Vive... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Building the best possible PC tower you can for use with the HTC Vive...

So, I currently don't have a pre-order for the HTC Vive. I wanted to wait for the Playstation VR briefing on the 15th of this month...

Still, nearly every video I watch about the HTC Vive just confirms the fact that I really, really, really want to try out these experiences. I recently saw a video of a game called "Unseen Diplomacy". This game was pretty freaking amazing in how it used every single inch of your playspace to full effect. After watching that video, I was curious to how much space I actually had to work with, where I could use the Vive. I measured a 13 x 8 feet area that I could use. I could actually squeeze out a 15 x 15 area if I moved this one sofa completely out of the way...

The idea of kinda walking around inside a virtual world seems super cool, and taking full and total advantage of the room scale thing...

Of course, all of this is meaningless if I don't have a PC that can run the HTC Vive properly. The max I would want to spend on a new PC Tower is $1200. The vive is $800, and the Tower would be $1200, that would total 2 grand, but of course you have tax and unforseen expenses that crop up, so add another $200 onto that. Now I'm at $2200 just to experience this Vive stuff... That's a pretty significant investment in something that I'm not sure I'm going to be super into once the honeymoon period has worn off. Still, I have to be prepared in case the PS VR stuff is too far away, and I decide to take the plunge...

So right now I'm looking into a PC build that would feature the Zotac GeForce GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme 6GB ZT-90505-10P ----------------- $650.00

So I have $1200 to spend on this tower, and $650 of that is going directly into the video card. That leaves me with $550 to buy the CPU, Power Supply, ram, motherboard, heat sinks, case etc, etc... Everything but keyboard, mouse and monitor... How the hell do I make it all work ? Which parts would you get if the 980Ti AMP! is an absolutely must include at 650 smackers ?

Last edited by Anthony1; 03-11-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Anthony1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-13-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Building the best possible PC tower you can for use with the HTC Vive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
So, I currently don't have a pre-order for the HTC Vive. I wanted to wait for the Playstation VR briefing on the 15th of this month...

Still, nearly every video I watch about the HTC Vive just confirms the fact that I really, really, really want to try out these experiences. I recently saw a video of a game called "Unseen Diplomacy". This game was pretty freaking amazing in how it used every single inch of your playspace to full effect. After watching that video, I was curious to how much space I actually had to work with, where I could use the Vive. I measured a 13 x 8 feet area that I could use. I could actually squeeze out a 15 x 15 area if I moved this one sofa completely out of the way...

The idea of kinda walking around inside a virtual world seems super cool, and taking full and total advantage of the room scale thing...

Of course, all of this is meaningless if I don't have a PC that can run the HTC Vive properly. The max I would want to spend on a new PC Tower is $1200. The vive is $800, and the Tower would be $1200, that would total 2 grand, but of course you have tax and unforseen expenses that crop up, so add another $200 onto that. Now I'm at $2200 just to experience this Vive stuff... That's a pretty significant investment in something that I'm not sure I'm going to be super into once the honeymoon period has worn off. Still, I have to be prepared in case the PS VR stuff is too far away, and I decide to take the plunge...

So right now I'm looking into a PC build that would feature the Zotac GeForce GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme 6GB ZT-90505-10P ----------------- $650.00

So I have $1200 to spend on this tower, and $650 of that is going directly into the video card. That leaves me with $550 to buy the CPU, Power Supply, ram, motherboard, heat sinks, case etc, etc... Everything but keyboard, mouse and monitor... How the hell do I make it all work ? Which parts would you get if the 980Ti AMP! is an absolutely must include at 650 smackers ?

Are you comfortable with overclocking? Cause if you can get your hands on one of those boards that can do non-K overclocking, you can OC the hell out of a low end i3 or i5 and save a few hundred bucks there. Then just get 16gb of ram, a decent power supply, a cheap SSD and a case you can live with, and I think you can squeeze it in under $550. Especially if it's just the tower, no software or accessories.

CPU - $200
MB - $80
PSU - $60
Case - $60
RAM - $70
SSD - $80

= $550.

Edit - Hmph, forgot the cooler at at least $35. I don't see how you can go any lower without potentially undermining your experience though. VR is expensive, there's no way around it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; 03-13-2016 at 10:07 AM.
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Are you comfortable with overclocking? Cause if you can get your hands on one of those boards that can do non-K overclocking, you can OC the hell out of a low end i3 or i5 and save a few hundred bucks there. Then just get 16gb of ram, a decent power supply, a cheap SSD and a case you can live with, and I think you can squeeze it in under $550. Especially if it's just the tower, no software or accessories.

CPU - $200
MB - $80
PSU - $60
Case - $60
RAM - $70
SSD - $80

= $550.

Edit - Hmph, forgot the cooler at at least $35. I don't see how you can go any lower without potentially undermining your experience though. VR is expensive, there's no way around it.

Here is the PC I built back in May of 2010:

Case = Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

CPU = i5 2500k 3.3 GHZ 6MB Cache LGA1155

Motherboard = P8P67 R3 LGA 1155 P67

Ram = G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

GPU = Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti SOC 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 video card

PSU = SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W

HDD = Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD 1 TB

CPU Cooler = CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212+

DVD Burner = Pioneer DVR-A18M

Operating System = Win 7 (64) for Students (currently running Windows 10 to my chagrin )


Would it be possible to use any of the stuff from this build, and just try to squeak by with just adding a 980Ti ? Could a 980Ti even work with this old a PC ? I'd probably need a new PSU as well right ? I'd probably need to add more ram I'm thinking...

I currently don't have the 2500k overclocked, but I'm pretty sure it's possible with the motherboard I got..
Anthony1 is offline  
Old 03-13-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
You're actually in pretty good shape with that rig. The 2500K is a legendary overclocker, you can squeeze at least 4.5 out of that, you'll be fine with that.

I think your PSU should be sufficient as well, as long as you have enough PCI-E connectors, you'll need two.

As long as your motherboard will overclock, the only thing I think you really need is another 8GB of memory, and that should be like $30. Maybe buy an SSD. Otherwise you're fine, save your money.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-13-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I agree that you should probably just work with what you've got (and you'll definitely want more RAM), but even still, as long as you don't have to worry about the OS, it's not really THAT hard to come in at under $1200 for a build with a GTX980Ti.

Just as an example: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m4rHYJ

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably want to add an extra $100 and get an SSD, but there are plenty of ways to get a high-end gaming machine built for $1200.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
HeadRusch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10,180
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I gotta disagree with my AVS brothers here.....moving from 8 to 16 gigs is not advisable when your goal is to save money, its an expense that has...IMHO...no tangible real-world benefit. I've run with 8 gigs for ages, no thrashing, no memory issues.....I have good app discipline, however, I'm not the guy who has 30 open tabs on his start bar.

Hey I just realized.....with that chip and motherboard combo.....3.4Ghz, 1.6 at idle at 3.8 at "turbo" speeds.....wouldn't it just be a simple multiplier change to 40 to push that to 4.0ghz overlock? Or 4.2 or 4.4......

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986


Last edited by HeadRusch; 03-14-2016 at 10:33 AM.
HeadRusch is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
I gotta disagree with my AVS brothers here.....moving from 8 to 16 gigs is not advisable when your goal is to save money, its an expense that has...IMHO...no tangible real-world benefit. I've run with 8 gigs for ages, no thrashing, no memory issues.....I have good app discipline, however, I'm not the guy who has 30 open tabs on his start bar.

Hey I just realized.....with that chip and motherboard combo.....3.4Ghz, 1.6 at idle at 3.8 at "turbo" speeds.....wouldn't it just be a simple multiplier change to 40 to push that to 4.0ghz overlock? Or 4.2 or 4.4......
I would just go by the fact that many of the Vive games have 8GB under their minimum spec, and the Rift having 8+ GB as its recommendation. I'm sure it's not going to kill the experience on either platform to have only 8GB of RAM, but if someone is willing to get a GTX980Ti to add to their system and is considering this all in place of purchasing a new $1200 system, I doubt $35 is going to break the bank.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,782
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 998
AMD cards are better for VR for the time being, because Maxwell doesn't do Async Compute properly. I say this as an owner of a GTX 970. As soon as I get my Vive I will be looking into upgrading my GPU and probably building a whole new PC around it.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
AMD cards are better for VR for the time being, because Maxwell doesn't do Async Compute properly. I say this as an owner of a GTX 970. As soon as I get my Vive I will be looking into upgrading my GPU and probably building a whole new PC around it.
That might have an effect at some point in the future as DX12 takes hold, but right now, the GTX980Ti is better (based on Valve's SteamVR Performance Test):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ison,4489.html

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Member
 
moej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lagrange, OH
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do you need an OS? Was $21, but now $29
http://www.g2play.net/category/19429...igitaldownload


Do you have a Microcenter by you? They have great prices on processors.
I personally suggest Haswell over Skylake.

Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D Smart TV
HTPC/Gaming PC (i7 860, SSD, GTX 660 Ti+), Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii-U, Wii, N64, NES
Nokia Lumia 928 W10M
moej is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
I gotta disagree with my AVS brothers here.....moving from 8 to 16 gigs is not advisable when your goal is to save money, its an expense that has...IMHO...no tangible real-world benefit. I've run with 8 gigs for ages, no thrashing, no memory issues.....I have good app discipline, however, I'm not the guy who has 30 open tabs on his start bar.

Hey I just realized.....with that chip and motherboard combo.....3.4Ghz, 1.6 at idle at 3.8 at "turbo" speeds.....wouldn't it just be a simple multiplier change to 40 to push that to 4.0ghz overlock? Or 4.2 or 4.4......

8Gb is usually fine, but running a borderline amount of memory increases the potential for stutters, and you really want to avoid that with VR.

Another 8GB is dirt cheap, if he's going to buy a $800 headset and a $650 GPU, he can afford the $35 to ensure it stays smooth.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
HeadRusch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10,180
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If we're talking $35 for 8 gigs of ram, I'll shut up. I assumed $80+, and on a budget you need to ask what your money is buying you at that point.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

HeadRusch is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 280
many games are different in how they use the computers power. Some may like vid card power, others memory power, others harddrive/ssd and others all of the above

get a well balanced machine unless you know for sure what exact game engine is to be used and how it works for best results.

my favorite online game requires fast processor/memory/hard drive and the video card requirement is very basic. other games it may be all vid card, just have to research for the games you play.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
AMD cards are better for VR for the time being, because Maxwell doesn't do Async Compute properly. I say this as an owner of a GTX 970. As soon as I get my Vive I will be looking into upgrading my GPU and probably building a whole new PC around it.

That's what their marketing wants you to believe. Asynchronous compute uses the GPU a little more efficiently, it's not that big of a deal. It technically has nothing to do with VR. Like the only minor advantage there is they have more control over interrupting the rendering thread if the frame runs over budget and they need to cut it off and do the time warp instead. IMO if a game dev is missing refreshes in VR to begin with, they're ****ing up. With a 980 Ti you shouldn't have that issue anyway.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 310
For what it's worth, asynchronous timewarp is an Oculus-only feature anyway. Valve didn't implement that in SteamVR.

Also, here's an example of a Vive game where the recommended spec specifically mentions 16GB RAM (though of course, it's still early in development and might change): http://store.steampowered.com/app/451080

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Well, the PS VR news has come in....

I wanted to wait and find out what the PS VR reality was going to be before jumping into Vive. PS VR is coming priced a little bit higher than I would have preferred... $399 for a headset with no camera or controllers. But the bigger issue could be the October release window. I could have waited for late June, maybe even mid August, but freaking October ?

That's a very long wait...

Knowing that people are enjoying Vives and Rifts while I'm sitting on the sidelines...

I think based on this news, I'm probably going to be all in on Vive now... I don't want to wait till October. Plus the price is about $100 higher than I was expecting (for the PS VR headset by itself...) I didn't pre order a Vive, and I'm still going to wait for the thing to actually be available. I'm still not going to pre-order. if the Vive is available at some retailers on launch day, I might try to just grab one in person and then figure out what PC to get at that point.

Or, maybe I will hear about some PC + Vive bundles closer to the actual launch...
Anthony1 is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,782
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
That's what their marketing wants you to believe. Asynchronous compute uses the GPU a little more efficiently, it's not that big of a deal. It technically has nothing to do with VR. Like the only minor advantage there is they have more control over interrupting the rendering thread if the frame runs over budget and they need to cut it off and do the time warp instead. IMO if a game dev is missing refreshes in VR to begin with, they're ****ing up. With a 980 Ti you shouldn't have that issue anyway.
I know async compute isn't good for VR only, because I've implemented it on PC and PS4 and Xbox One in games. It is indeed a substantial win in terms of GPU efficiency to keep your pipeline at full speed. Maximizing efficiency is something you need to do, it's one area where Maxwell is objectively inferior, and it has nothing to do with marketing. It's also been confirmed independently by various review sites and also by own first-hand experience, doing frame captures, etc.

In VR you need every ounce of performance that you can get, so I will just re-iterate what I said before, as an owner of Maxwell GPU and someone who's impervious to marketing speak : Async compute is one area where NVidia dropped the ball and let AMD pick it up. I go by the facts, and I trust my own experience, which happens to be independently corroborated. I'm sorry if you think that Async compute is simply a marketing ploy. It isn't. I'm just responding to your post to clarify others on this topic so they don't make an uninformed decision.
nowknown likes this.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
Old 03-15-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I know async compute isn't good for VR only, because I've implemented it on PC and PS4 and Xbox One in games. It is indeed a substantial win in terms of GPU efficiency to keep your pipeline at full speed. Maximizing efficiency is something you need to do, it's one area where Maxwell is objectively inferior, and it has nothing to do with marketing. It's also been confirmed independently by various review sites and also by own first-hand experience, doing frame captures, etc.

In VR you need every ounce of performance that you can get, so I will just re-iterate what I said before, as an owner of Maxwell GPU and someone who's impervious to marketing speak : Async compute is one area where NVidia dropped the ball and let AMD pick it up. I go by the facts, and I trust my own experience, which happens to be independently corroborated. I'm sorry if you think that Async compute is simply a marketing ploy. It isn't. I'm just responding to your post to clarify others on this topic so they don't make an uninformed decision.
No, I know it's a very important feature going forward, the *only* thing I consider a marketing ploy is that it's somehow *necessary* specifcally for VR and the lack of it makes nvidia cards less or *unsuitable* for VR. Like I guess if we're talking about a R9 280 vs a 970, then youre on the borderline and every little bit counts. But Ive seen people suggest that a 980 Ti will be unsuitable for VR because it doesnt have it and that's just crazy talk. Async compute may make GCN more efficient, but a 980 Ti has more than enough brute force to overcome that. I've run VR on midrange Kepler (770) and it was perfectly fine, great even...although we're talking about dev kit demos like two years ago. But there weren't any fundamentally unresolvable latency issues.

Maxwell has been holding it down in DX11 though, and we're just getting DX12 games like as of two weeks ago. I dunno if I'd call it nvidia dropping the ball unless Pascal doesnt have it though. That would be like the ****up of the century. I'm also not a big fan of their tap dancing around the fact that maxwell doesnt properly support it as far as anyone can tell though, that's even ****tier marketing nonsense IMO.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; 03-15-2016 at 06:23 PM.
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-18-2016, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
So, if I add a 980Ti to my old PC, will I need any special cooling system or anything ?

Basically, my hope is that I could overclock my i5 2500K, and just add a 980Ti, and hope for the best...

if it doesn't work good enough, then I can build a whole new rig around the 980Ti. First, I have to wait to see if I can somehow get a Vive at some retail location on April 5th. I missed out on pre-orders, and hoping maybe Fry's will have some or something...
Anthony1 is offline  
Old 03-18-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
So, if I add a 980Ti to my old PC, will I need any special cooling system or anything ?

Basically, my hope is that I could overclock my i5 2500K, and just add a 980Ti, and hope for the best...

if it doesn't work good enough, then I can build a whole new rig around the 980Ti. First, I have to wait to see if I can somehow get a Vive at some retail location on April 5th. I missed out on pre-orders, and hoping maybe Fry's will have some or something...

You should be fine, just make sure you have enough pci-E connectors on your PSU.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-18-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 16,219
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 369
While I am just as guilty as anyone of wanting instant gratification for my consumer electronics purchases I think the smart thing to do regarding both gpu and vr is to wait a bit and see what actually happens. I bought a 980ti recently and will likely be returning it soon (even though it is a fantastic card), there's too much we do not know and these items can add up for a costly mistake. It's looking like AMD could turn the tides very soon and having no brand loyalty I want the most performance for my dollar (as well as wanting a card that will last a couple years for 4K gaming, the 6gb limitation on the 980ti is concerning regarding 4K).


- Jason

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133"/ Samsung 50" Plasma / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Vizio 4K 70" lcd/Denon x4100/Audiosource Amp 100/Klipsch speakers/Velodyne subs/Sony BDP s780/PS4/X1/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/Game PC/Multi-Arcade My HT SLIDESHOW
DaGamePimp is online now  
Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
While I am just as guilty as anyone of wanting instant gratification for my consumer electronics purchases I think the smart thing to do regarding both gpu and vr is to wait a bit and see what actually happens. I bought a 980ti recently and will likely be returning it soon (even though it is a fantastic card), there's too much we do not know and these items can add up for a costly mistake. It's looking like AMD could turn the tides very soon and having no brand loyalty I want the most performance for my dollar (as well as wanting a card that will last a couple years for 4K gaming, the 6gb limitation on the 980ti is concerning regarding 4K).


- Jason
The smart thing to do.... would be for me to wait till October for PS VR and save a truckload of money....
but why do the smart thing ?

Right now, I'm just going to cool my heels until April 5th. If I can get a Vive locally somehow on April 5th, or the pre-order wait magically vanishes, I think I'm going to jump in and take a chance. If I can't get a Vive around April 5th, and the pre-order thing turns out to be a real issue, then I'll have to re-evaluate my situation...

No use buying any PC parts until I've actually secured a Vive.

My current philosophy is that I just want to try this crap out, and I'm willing to take a gamble on it, and if it doesn't work out, hopefully I can sell whatever it is I need to sell and only take a 30 percent loss.. The 30 percent loss is just an early adoption tax. You have to deal with it if you gamble and you come up short.
Anthony1 is offline  
Old 03-18-2016, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
The smart thing to do.... would be for me to wait till October for PS VR and save a truckload of money....
but why do the smart thing ?

Right now, I'm just going to cool my heels until April 5th. If I can get a Vive locally somehow on April 5th, or the pre-order wait magically vanishes, I think I'm going to jump in and take a chance. If I can't get a Vive around April 5th, and the pre-order thing turns out to be a real issue, then I'll have to re-evaluate my situation...

No use buying any PC parts until I've actually secured a Vive.

My current philosophy is that I just want to try this crap out, and I'm willing to take a gamble on it, and if it doesn't work out, hopefully I can sell whatever it is I need to sell and only take a 30 percent loss.. The 30 percent loss is just an early adoption tax. You have to deal with it if you gamble and you come up short.
Are they even selling the vive locally? I think you're going to have a really hard time finding that.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-18-2016, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Are they even selling the vive locally? I think you're going to have a really hard time finding that.
I've heard mixed things about it. Some people have said they will have a few at retail, some people have said none right now. So, it's hard to know what to believe, but isn't Oculus going to have a few at retail in another week or so ?


I guess if it's impossible to get any via retail, then I'll check back in on the pre-order situation. It's possible some potential Vive pre-orders have been cancelled if some people decided to wait for PS VR, so maybe the pre-orders won't be so back ordered. The thing is freaking $800, and requires a kick ass gaming PC. I just can't see them selling millions right away. I think I should be able to find one within a decent time frame...

I probably won't have a ton of time to mess with it until June though, so if I have to wait till June, it actually won't be the end of the world... But, I'd honestly like to mess with one of these things as soon as possible. I'm just super curious how everything works...
Anthony1 is offline  
Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
I've heard mixed things about it. Some people have said they will have a few at retail, some people have said none right now. So, it's hard to know what to believe, but isn't Oculus going to have a few at retail in another week or so ?


I guess if it's impossible to get any via retail, then I'll check back in on the pre-order situation. It's possible some potential Vive pre-orders have been cancelled if some people decided to wait for PS VR, so maybe the pre-orders won't be so back ordered. The thing is freaking $800, and requires a kick ass gaming PC. I just can't see them selling millions right away. I think I should be able to find one within a decent time frame...

I probably won't have a ton of time to mess with it until June though, so if I have to wait till June, it actually won't be the end of the world... But, I'd honestly like to mess with one of these things as soon as possible. I'm just super curious how everything works...

If there are any retail units for either anywhere, they're going to be sold out to eBay scalpers as soon as they open their doors. I think there's like a 4 month backlog on oculus preorders now? Probably the same for the vive. I hate to say it, but I think you missed the boat unless you're willing to pay the eBay premium.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 310
According to Reddit, most Vive preorders lately are saying May shipping. It's apparently based on regional allocations for different countries, but I don't think any have slipped into June yet. I doubt the demand was quite as large as Oculus, because Oculus has more name recognition for VR at the moment (plus the higher price affects that as well).

As for in-store purchases, you never know. Apparently a bunch of stores in the UK have demo units out and I'd imagine they'll end up selling them in-store as well.

Considering how much larger a footprint you'd need to have units across the US though, it seems a little unlikely to me as well.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
Old 03-19-2016, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Hmm... Maybe I should just do an official pre-order now... If I do one now, it might be late May, but that wouldn't be too bad, cause like I was saying, I won't have a ton of time to mess with it till June anyways...

I just hope I would be able to cancel my preorder without issue if somehow they do have some locally and I'm able to grab one.


Regarding the scalpers: Personally, I think an $800 peripheral that requires a $1200 PC is kinda a dumb thing to try to scalp. I mean seriously.... There just aren't that many people on the planet with good enough gaming PC's that are also strongly interested in VR. You're talking about a very small subset of people to try to scalp something to. I can definitely see it happening with PS VR, because there are about 40 million people with PS4's right now. That's a decent market of people to potentially try to scalp.

Also, the PS VR is coming in October, so it kinda has that Xmas hype as well. I just don't think Late March early April is prime scalping season, and I don't think these scalpers are going to end up cashing in... Sure, there will be a handful of people that just have to have Oculus / Vive immediately, and they simply won't be able to contain themselves, but I really don't think it's going to be a huge percentage of people.

In fact, there could be a very large percentage of pre-orders that are specifically from people "hoping" to scalp them, and then they will find out that the legitimate demand just isn't high enough, and these people will have to return the headsets with their tails between their legs. I've seen this happen before with some of the recent console launches. Scalping didn't really work with the Xbox One and PS4, people didn't care that much. I have first hand knowledge of that, cause I had a few extra pre-orders of those systems, and ended up selling the pre-order tickets for like 40 bucks max. Not even worth the effort or time.
Anthony1 is offline  
Old 03-19-2016, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
ok, just did an official pre-order, in case there isn't any retail Vive's at all.


Supposedly May shipping.... when in May... who knows.. ?

Man... 900 bones.... With tax and shipping the total was like $899.43 or something like that... OUCH!
Guess I'm all in now...
Anthony1 is offline  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,700
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Hmm... Maybe I should just do an official pre-order now... If I do one now, it might be late May, but that wouldn't be too bad, cause like I was saying, I won't have a ton of time to mess with it till June anyways...

I just hope I would be able to cancel my preorder without issue if somehow they do have some locally and I'm able to grab one.


Regarding the scalpers: Personally, I think an $800 peripheral that requires a $1200 PC is kinda a dumb thing to try to scalp. I mean seriously.... There just aren't that many people on the planet with good enough gaming PC's that are also strongly interested in VR. You're talking about a very small subset of people to try to scalp something to. I can definitely see it happening with PS VR, because there are about 40 million people with PS4's right now. That's a decent market of people to potentially try to scalp.

Also, the PS VR is coming in October, so it kinda has that Xmas hype as well. I just don't think Late March early April is prime scalping season, and I don't think these scalpers are going to end up cashing in... Sure, there will be a handful of people that just have to have Oculus / Vive immediately, and they simply won't be able to contain themselves, but I really don't think it's going to be a huge percentage of people.

In fact, there could be a very large percentage of pre-orders that are specifically from people "hoping" to scalp them, and then they will find out that the legitimate demand just isn't high enough, and these people will have to return the headsets with their tails between their legs. I've seen this happen before with some of the recent console launches. Scalping didn't really work with the Xbox One and PS4, people didn't care that much. I have first hand knowledge of that, cause I had a few extra pre-orders of those systems, and ended up selling the pre-order tickets for like 40 bucks max. Not even worth the effort or time.

From my experience with the dk2, scalping these is going to be hugely profitable. The demand is simply outstripping supply by a huge factor, and the fact that it's expensive means it appeals to people who have money and are willing to spend it.

Like two years ago there was a 3 month wait to get a DK2 straight from oculus, for $349. I really wanted to try one though, so I found someone selling one on Craigslist for $450. Figured worst case I can resell it for at least that. Had my fun with it, resold it for $800....and that was like the going rate. For a used developer kit. I was really tempted right then and there to order as many DK2s as I could, and make a fortune reselling them.

Right now on eBay, DK2s are still selling for $650, and people selling their CV1 preorders are ending at roughly $1200. HTC vive preorders are selling anywhere from $1200-1800.

I may need to order some more headsets....

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 03-25-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 4,963
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 509
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LyggD3

add windows and your still under budget.

could also go with a 6600K and a Fury X instead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wN6HYJ

That's not science! - Cyborg

My Theater Build

Items for Sale:
Falcon Vision Horizon 120" AT Screen $750

Last edited by brian6751; 03-25-2016 at 06:56 PM.
brian6751 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off