Didn't PC games used to be cheaper than console games ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Unread 07-15-2016, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Didn't PC games used to be cheaper than console games ?

So, I just want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.... I remember not that long ago, people used to say that PC gaming is very expensive on the front end (buying the hardware), but that you make up for it with cheaper software prices... Right ? Does anybody else remember that ?

I also remember that people used to say that PC games would always be $10 cheaper than console games because the PC game publishers don't have to pay $12 to Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo for each PC game they make. They don't have to pay a licensing fee like console game publishers do. So, I haven't really been much of a PC gamer since 2011/2012, but I could have sworn that most of the brand new triple A pc games would be $49.99. Sometimes maybe $54.99. You'd see a ton of games for $44.99 and some $39.99. I'm talking about AAA, big time games.

Nowadays...

It seems that the highest profile PC games are $59.99. No difference from the console games even though there isn't a licensing fee. When did all of this change ? I don't remember it being quite like this back in 2010 and 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Unread 07-15-2016, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 261
No you're not imagining it. Games on PC were cheaper. Not all from what I recall but for the most part the majority of them were cheaper and pretty much for the reasons you mentioned. At least that was the word back then.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
post #3 of 6 Unread 07-15-2016, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 124
If you wanted the game on release day, there generally wasn't a difference in price. Discounting was more rapid on PC games and waiting a month after a game was released could save 50% from MSRP. Some titles would release $5 to $10 cheaper on PC but the big titles would be roughly the same but be discounted much faster than console versions. Prices stay the same longer these days because the PC and Console markets are more even now. Used to be a lot more sales volume on PC games back then.

You also have development cost as well. Used to be that games were designed for PC and then ported to consoles, which cost extra. Now a lot of games are developed for console first and then ported to PC, some horribly, and others good because of good graphics scaling. The process is more streamlined with game elements suitable for both PC and Console graphic capabilities.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo BDP-103D, Roku 4.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).

PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB2000 sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #4 of 6 Unread 07-16-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Depends on where you buy. You can routinely get pre-orders for 25% off at places like Greenmangaming. I pre-ordered Fallout 4 for $42 like 5 months before release. Just have to know where to look

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
post #5 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 06:38 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Depends on where you buy. You can routinely get pre-orders for 25% off at places like Greenmangaming. I pre-ordered Fallout 4 for $42 like 5 months before release. Just have to know where to look
And those dicounts make it the price we used to pay to get those new games.

I don't think he's looking for discounts. He's bringing up the fact that these filthy publishers charge us more and no one complains. At least not on this board, more money to waste on dumb stuff floating around these folks.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 10:52 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3477
Depends on the type of game. But yeah, when I was younger I could buy a game like Quake 2 or Half-Life for $40-50 brand new at Best Buy or CompUSA.

Things haven't changed that much. Just have to shop smarter and as @Marafice Eye states, you gotta follow the discounts.

These days there are TONS of good and great games out that don't cost a whole lot. Discount or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming