SHARING INFO: Custom Game Resolutions (PC) Matrix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 80 Old 09-25-2003, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks to this great thread and this great thread, I have compiled a simple matrix (spreadsheet) of what PC games I have been able to run at what resolutions. Since most games don't tell you what resolutions they support on the box, I hope someone out there finds this info helpful.

TigerDave's Custom Game Resolutions Chart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 09-25-2003, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Nice work, Dave. Could you take a look at the Call of Duty demo and see if you can figure out a wide screen hack for that game? I haven't been able to find one. It is a beautiful game. It would be a shame if there was no way to make it play in widescreen.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #3 of 80 Old 09-25-2003, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Sure thing. I'll see what I can do.
post #4 of 80 Old 10-05-2003, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Chris, I checked out the Cal of Duty demo today. Although there is a CONFIG.CFG fiels that gets created, I couldn't see anything to resembled the resolution that I had chosen (1280x1024). I also checked my "My Documents" folder. Nothing there from the CoD demo. I took a look at the Activision section of my registry and didn't see anything that could be related to the resolution. So I have no idea where it saves that info!

Sure is a fun little demo though!
post #5 of 80 Old 10-05-2003, 08:22 PM

In Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 and it's expansion pack (Yuri's Revenge) there is a mod called Deezire that lets you use extremely high resolutions among other things. Could you check this out?
post #6 of 80 Old 10-05-2003, 09:46 PM

Very nice Dave! Thanks!
post #7 of 80 Old 11-04-2003, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ooops. Someone pointed out to me that the link at the top of this thread no longer worked.

Well, I had moved my website and updated the link, but forgot to copy over the correct HTM file.

It's there now, so the link is working once again.
post #8 of 80 Old 11-05-2003, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice work Dave,

The CoD demo (both singleplayer and Dawnville demos) allows for custom resolutions by editing the config.cfg file in the /main/ folder. It's a quake engine-based game. Make sure to set seta_rmode -1 and fov to 90 (to correct aspect ratio).

Looks great in 1368 x 768 @ 56 Hz.

/Andres

OOO CRT Blend powered OOO Blog
post #9 of 80 Old 11-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by antorsae

The CoD demo...

/Andres
My D-ila Projector is going to like this. The on-board scaler is not very good. I'm going to give it a shot at 1365x580 too (2.35:1 on a 9'-wide screen).

Jeff
post #10 of 80 Old 11-06-2003, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by antorsae
Nice work Dave,

The CoD demo (both singleplayer and Dawnville demos) allows for custom resolutions by editing the config.cfg file in the /main/ folder. It's a quake engine-based game. Make sure to set seta_rmode -1 and fov to 90 (to correct aspect ratio).

/Andres
That is awesome! Thanks for the info. I have both demos and like them both a lot. Now I won't have to play them at 1280x1024 with big black bars on the sides anymore. I will try this at home and then update the chart to reflect the change.

Thanks again,

-- Dave
post #11 of 80 Old 11-09-2003, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

I tried it out today and it worked great! I updated the chart and also added screenshots today:

http://tigerdave.com/custom_res.htm

-- Dave
post #12 of 80 Old 11-09-2003, 06:13 PM

Great stuff for this newby to get a chance to see, Thanks, keep up the great work, Tom
post #13 of 80 Old 11-16-2003, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I just added my PowerStrip timings to the Chart by request.
post #14 of 80 Old 11-17-2003, 08:35 AM

I'm confused about getting custom resolutions into games. I've followed this and the other threads listed in this one, and I can't get a resolution to show or take.

I'm running Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I found a file named "unnamedsoldier.cfg". In other posts its referred to as "unamedsoldier.cgf" but I'm assuming that there is a typo.

I've put in the edits with both quotes around the values and no quotes around the values for the various parameters. Should the quotes be there? None of the other parameters in my "unnamedsoldier.cfg" have them.

I run my HTPC at 1280 X 720 on a 50" Sony GWII. When ever I start up MOHAA it hangs at this resolution. I've changed my desktop to 640 X 480 and can play the game.

So should I be running my desktop at VGA and somehow be getting MOHAA to display a 1280 X 720 resolution within the controls?

Any help or link showing how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

LaVike
post #15 of 80 Old 11-18-2003, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

LaVike also sent me an e-mail about this. Here's my response:

Set-up a hot key in PowerStrip (like CTRL-ALT-O) to display the current resolution. Then hook up your PC to your computer monitor. Start up Rallisport. Press the Hot Key you just set-up and find out what resolution the Rallisport menu is in. Let's say that the menu is in 1024x768 and that you don't have a known working 1024x768 resolution setup for your Sony TV, then your'e either going to get a scrambled picture, or you will see nothing. I thought that Rallisport's menu could run in different resoultions but defaults at 640x480. I could be wrong though.

As far as your request for changing my timings to be copy/pastable, well, coincidentally I did that last night. Check it out now.

www.tigerdave.com/custom_res.htm

I have not installed or run Medal of Honor, but I can tell you this, though. MoH is from EA, right? Well every game I've run from EA so has it's main menu running at a fixed 800x600 res! So until you get 800x600 working on your Sony (I finally got it working on my Pioneer just last night! The timings are posted.), you won't see anything. Once you can get the menu working, you can then set the actual GAME res to whatever they offer (such as I was able to run Need For Speed: UnderGround (Demo) at 1280x1024), or you can try to edit the CFG files.

Let me know what you find out, so I can update the Chart.
post #16 of 80 Old 11-18-2003, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

I just updated my Chart:

- Added res info for "Need for Speed: Underground" (Demo)
- Added 2 new 856x480 screenshots (not photos) of UT 2003
- Added 1 new 856x480 screenshot (not photo) of my Windows XP desktop
- Re-did both "Simulation" photos so they look more accurate
- Reformatted my PowerStrip Timings so that they can be copy/pasted into PowerStrip
- Created instructions on how to to copy/paste said timings into PowerStrip (I'm sure that will be helpful since I had a tough time trying to find such info back when I didn't know how to do it.)

Click the link below to view the Chart. More screenshots are coming soon!
post #17 of 80 Old 11-19-2003, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

OK kids, how's this for "coming soon"???

I spent a few hours last night with the HyperSnap-DX screen capture program. I captured over 100 screens totalling over 91MB!

These truly capture (no pun intended) the essence of big-screen gaming via HTPC. No XBox or PS2 can come close to this.

Check out the 1776x1000 screen caps of UT2003 in particular! Gorgeous.

They are now posted on my Custom Res Chart. Just click the link below.
post #18 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

tigerdave,

I finally got my new HTPC all put together, and I can't wait to try it out on my Sharp Z10000 onto a 106" screen! I will have a pure DVI connection via a Radeon 9800 Pro and want to run at a pure 1280x720p resolution. Will I need dscaler to do the de-interlacing? Do you think this resolution would be better than the 1776x1000 which would be interlaced (correct?). Do you notice interlacing more on action games and if so can you reduce this by altering the refresh rate or are most TVs/projectors pretty set on what refresh rates they can handle?

I recently got the X-gaming joystick and I'm waiting for their trackball to come out. I was also looking into a good gamepad and steering wheel. Do you know of any that stand out...or that I should avoid. Also what do most people use for games like Unreal/Halflife. I have only used a mouse with keyboard but I do like the control a mouse gives to looking around. I was thinking that the X-gaming joystick and trackball could make a good combo.
post #19 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Most people use keyboard/mouse for shooters. A few guys in my old battlefield 1942 clan used trackballs, it's a matter of preference, I like both but I'm more comfortable with the mouse. Trackball would make more sense on the sofa, though.

I don't think you need to deinterlace an HTPC signal, video cards output progressive.
post #20 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Max C, it all sounds exciting!

I don't know if you will need a descaler as I haven't worked with LCD projectors whatsoever other than to display PowerPoint presentations from laptops.

However, I can tell you that one thing I always look for in an input device (keyboard, mouse, joystick gamepad, etc.) is that it be wireless because I sit across the room from the HTPC, of course.

First of all, I loathe trackballs. I strongly prefer a keyboard & mouse over other devices when it come to First-Person Shooters like Unreal Tournament 2003, GTA: Vice City, NOLF, NOLF2, and Half-Life. I am very happy with my Gyration Suite (keyboard and mouse). I recently swapped out the regular AAA batts on the keyboard with some excellent rechargeables too. You can read more on that and my experiences with the Gyration Suite here.

Gyration now has a larger full-size keyboard suite, but I prefer my standard "compact" one because it takes up far less space on my lap desk. After all, all you really need it the WASD keys and the spacebar, right? And the response has been lightning quick. I don't notice any lag at all when playing UT2003 online using this wireless combo.

As for other gaming input devices, I have not seen a wireless steering wheel as of yet, but I recently discovered a "Kick-Ass" (as Maximum PC calls it) wireless gamepad. It's the Saitek P3000 Wireless Game Pad. Check this thing out. It comes with TWO Ni-Mh batteries. That way one is always charged up and ready to go.

I was seriously looking into the now-discontinued $120 Logitech Momo Force racing wheel. But as much as I want a wheel for my racing games, they are tend to be too cumbersome and require me to set up a TV tray or likewise in front of me to bolt it onto. Plus there are wires strung everywhere. I just might get this wireless gamepad for instead and save $80 over the Logitech wheel.

I checked out a display model recently at a local CompUSA and I liked the feel. The light gray parts of the handles shown in in the photo are rubber, not plastic, so it has a really good grip and feel (better than my PlayStation controllers ever did).

Hope this info helps!
post #21 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

I concur, that Saitek pad looks very nice. I'm currently using a 'frankenstein' gamepad that I rebuilt from several defunct pads. It does the job, but it ain't purty. I use this for everything from driving in GTA:VC to flying in BF1942. When I move to an rptv as a monitor, I'll be picking up the Saitek myself, I was glad to see MaxPC give it the kick ass award, it deserves it.

Dave, your info is great for gamers, can't wait to contribute my own info once I get up and running ;) Though my 21" trinitron isn't all that bad...

The upside to the trackball is that you don't have to re-center it as you would a mouse, when you run out of mousepad, and some say it's more accurate, but really that's due more to good engineering than the kind of technology, a crappy trackball isn't as good as a good mouse and vice-versa. You can do crazy spins with a trackball, though, and it's good for Missile Command and Centipede ;)
post #22 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Another thing about gamepads. If you are a die-hard Xbox user, the December issue of Maximum PC shows an Xbox Controller Adapter (pg. 68).

http://liksang.com/

They also have adapters for other consoles.
post #23 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I just recently got a wireless keyboard/mouse. I only had 2 choices as they were the only ones that would work at distances greater than 2ft. the first was the Gyration suite (mini) the other was Microsoft's new Bluetooth. Due to the keyboard size, I went with the Microsoft setup.

I was not aware that Gyration made a full sized keyboard. Exactly how does the gyration mouse work? Can you use it as a normal mouse and then pick it up to use the gyro technology? How sensitive is it? I am still within my 30 days to return.:p
post #24 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

The Gyration is an optical mouse, and a great one at that. Although it's a bit narrower than your average mouse, the reason for this is obvious once you pick it up to use in gyroscope mode.

I think's is an ingenius design, not to mention that tracking is very precise. In gyroscope mode, the mouse fits well in my hand and I can navigate the web or my TheaterTek DVD player software like holding a TV remote. I can use the scroll wheel to FFWD or REW the DVD I am watching, or use the left mouse button to PLAY/PAUSE!

There's a button under the mouse you squeeze like a trigger of a gun to put it into gyroscope mode. Then you can use your thumb to click either mouse button or scroll the wheel. Neat!

Now here's something interesting. On page 111 in the December 2003 issue of 'Maximum PC', it shows the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Suite. In that photo, it shows the Gyration mouse next to the Microsoft Keyboard! For a moment I thought that Microsoft was bundling the Gyration Mouse with this particular Suite. But after I checked Microsoft's website this morning, I saw no such thing. I think it's a misprint.

Staples has the Gyration Full-Size Optical Suite for $99.98. If you can wait long enough for more Staples coupon codes to be posted at the Hot Deals Club, you might be able to get $20 off. Just make sure you add something dirt cheap like a box of paper clips for 25 cents to get your order over the $100 mark. Free shipping too! This is how I was able to get my Gyration Suite for around $85.
post #25 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 12:47 PM

I also use the Gyration Suite (Keyboard & Mouse). I was having some problems with my mouse not holding a charge. I was going to buy either an AAA battery adapter or a new rechargable battery. I called their tech support folks and they said to try cleaning all of the contacts with alcohol. I cleaned the battery contacts, mouse contacts to battery, charger contacts, and charger contacts. Its worked perfectly since. I guess you have to watch out if your kids have gooey hands and they mess up the contacts! :)

As TigerDave says it works well. The keyboard is great. I'm just getting into running some games on my HDTV and it's working good so far. Seems to be pretty responsive for me.

LaVike
post #26 of 80 Old 11-21-2003, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that if you want a nice, close-up shot of my Gyration Suite, I have one posted here.
post #27 of 80 Old 11-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Those keys look a little mushy, like laptop keys. Is that so?

I'm still using my keyboard from 1993, it has nice hard mechanical action and good spacing between keys. I really don't like the newer keyboards with windows or menu keys between the alt and ctrl. How lazy can people get that they can't click the start menu? ;)

Actually, this keyboard is also a bit of a frankenstein, the caps lock is gone, I had to harvest the spring to replace a bad one in the Enter key :)
post #28 of 80 Old 11-22-2003, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed that the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard/mouse does not seem to become active until Windows loads. This means that I could not get into my Bios. This is a deal breaker for me. I was wondering if the Gyration setup remained active during loading?
post #29 of 80 Old 11-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by LaVike
I also use the Gyration Suite (Keyboard & Mouse). I was having some problems with my mouse not holding a charge. I was going to buy either an AAA battery adapter or a new rechargable battery. I called their tech support folks and they said to try cleaning all of the contacts with alcohol. I cleaned the battery contacts, mouse contacts to battery, charger contacts, and charger contacts. Its worked perfectly since. I guess you have to watch out if your kids have gooey hands and they mess up the contacts! :)

As TigerDave says it works well. The keyboard is great. I'm just getting into running some games on my HDTV and it's working good so far. Seems to be pretty responsive for me.

LaVike
A suggestion: Buy a spare battery and charger base for it. The charger base for the battery will give you a good charge every time. I got tired of cleaning the contacts on the charger base for the mouse. It's also good to have a spare when gaming. I also bought the AAA battery pack just in case.

Sean
post #30 of 80 Old 11-24-2003, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

As you may have seen from the HTPC forum, I just got the Gyration with the larger keyboard. Thanks Tigerdave for your suggestion!

It does not look as good as Microsoft's but I works! Plus it still has hot keys for mail, internet (forward, back, refresh), volume...etc. It worked right out of the box without any glitches. The mouse worked great after a 9hr charge.

Having the option to use it as a "laser pointer" is great. It takes a bit to get used to, but I find it handy to click the bottom, move the mouse were you need it, then release the bottom (to lock it) and click the top to perform the action. It also says you can program the mouse (and hopefully keyboard) so maybe I can get it to turn the computer on or wake it up from hibernation. Has anyone tried this?

Ohh....question about the rechargeable batteries. I am wondering if some of you all have problems because of how you first charged the batteries. Some batteries work better/have longer life if you fully charge it the first few times and also FULLY drain it. Do you all know if the gyration mouse lasts longer if it goes through this process a few times?

Now if I could only get my Creative Audigy 2 ZS to work...please see my post hear and chime in.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=329366
Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page