Dual GPU on one Graphic Card (the only way to do it on a HTPC) out in January - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-30-2004, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dual proccessors on one Graphic Card

We have all seen the SLI version of the Gforce cards 6600 and the 6800 where you have 2 cards side by side giving you almost double the power. well a better solution is to put 2 GPU's on one card (which I do not have to tell you on a HTPC this is the only way)
what is great is that it will be done on both ATI and Nvidia cards.

see pictures at the website above

Gigabyte creates dual-GPU graphics card

By Wolfgang Gruener, Senior Editor

December 16, 2004 - 11:58 EST

Chicago (IL) - Gigabyte will announce Friday a graphics card running two graphics processors on one board. According to sources, the SLI card will lift current 3DMark2003 record levels by a significant margin while being priced lower than ATI's and Nvidia's single-GPU high-end cards.

If two graphics cards in one system are too expensive or simply not fast enough, Gigabyte's new 3D1 board may be worth a serious look. Sources told Tom's Hardware Guide, that the company prepares to launch a dual-GPU card Friday, saying that it will "revise the VGA performance ranking".

The card integrates two Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT graphics processors and is the first 6600 GT card on the market to offer a total of 256 MByte DDR 3 memory and 256 Mbit of memory bandwidth, according to the manufacturer. The card is cooled by two on-board fans.

The 3D1's two processors communicate through Nvidia's SLI interface and achieved 14,293 points in 3DMark2003, sources at Gigabyte said. This would not only be almost twice the performance of a regular 6600 GT card, but also more than ATI's Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition, which achieved in Gigabyte's test environment 13,271 points and Nvidia's GeForce 6800 Ultra, which posted 12,680 points.

While Gigabyte claims that the 3D1 will trump the performance of Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition and the GeForce 6800 Ultra cards, it says that the card will be offered in combination with the mainboard GA-K8NXP-SLI for less money than ATI's and Nvidia's single-GPU graphics cards alone. These high end cards current carry suggested retail prices between $500 and $600.

Tom's Hardware Guide's test lab staff will run the 3D1 through its benchmark track, as soon as the card becomes available. According to sources, will be available in samples at the end of this month and will be sold as "luxury solution" for gamers by mid of January.
http://www20.tomshardware.com/hardne...20041216-1.jpg

http://www20.tomshardware.com/hardne...216-gbyte4.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-31-2004, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
They have benchmarks up at www.firingsquad.com......its impressive, but not as impressive as you might think. In benchmarks I don't think the SLI 6600's beat the 6800GT, let alone the 6800 Ultra.

I dont know if they did an ATI compare or not.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2005, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this card is slower than the 6800 gt and requires a special Gigabyte mobo to work.The only way I could see myself buying this is if I needed a new mobo.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2005, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Dont forget 3DFX V5 5500 which had 2 GPUs. They even had a 4 chip V5 6000 which never made it past prototypes. You can find one on ebay everyonce in a while.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page