PC Gaming on HDTV - Primer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2005, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting a 50" DLP HDTV set some time this week and I have been wondering if I can play my PC games on the HDTV? I have the ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 PRO video card which has a component video output kit for the TV, but I don't know what's required to use it?

My PC and HDTV will be one room apart - approximately 20ft apart direct line of sight, but I'd probably need at least 30ft of cable and probably 50 to be safe. So I would need to run the component video cables from my PC to the HDTV. And if I want audio on my surround sound system, I'd have to use the digital output and run that into the living room as well, right?

But all of that might be moot if I don't have any input devices that will reach that far, right? I have a cordless mouse (Logitech MX700) but I think it only reaches 6 ft? Do you guys use some kind of other options for doing this, or do you just have your HDTV sets in close proximity to your PC?

As you can tell, I don't really have a clue how all this works. For those of you that are playing PC games on your HDTV's, what is your setup and how does it work? Should I just forget about it, or would it be viable?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2005, 05:12 AM

PC Gaming on your HDTV will be great. Nothing's better than HL2 on my projector and sound system.

You identified your problem though, the PC needs to be in close enough proximity to the TV for component cabling (i use a 9800 pro), to connect to your reciever with 5.1 analog output (unless you have a nforce2 motherboard w/ mcp-t you can't encode dolby digital out in games, spid is only stereo) and to have your keyboard/mouse in the best viewing/listening spot in your room.

That said, it's a lot of fun
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobshute
You identified your problem though, the PC needs to be in close enough proximity to the TV for component cabling (i use a 9800 pro), to connect to your reciever with 5.1 analog output (unless you have a nforce2 motherboard w/ mcp-t you can't encode dolby digital out in games, spid is only stereo) and to have your keyboard/mouse in the best viewing/listening spot in your room.
I had similar issues... my solution was maybe a bit pricey, but it works... I got a 20' DVI cable for around $100 to connect the video card to the TV. I bought an Audigy 2 ZS USB sound card and a 15' USB cable to get in proximity to my receiver, and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo from Logitech.

Results can be seen at photos.yahoo.com/dub273 under the Home Theater album.

==\dub/==
post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2005, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.

> and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo from Logitech

How far are your computer and TV apart? I have the Logitech MX700 and I tried taking it in the next room and it doesn't work there. So how do you get the keyboard/mouse to work if the two are in adjacent rooms? Could I buy a USB extension cable or something in order to put the wireless receivers closer to my TV? I suppose I could run a USB hub into the living room from the PC with a long cable and then the wireless keyboard/mouse would work. But can you even run USB that far? I understand that component video cables go up to about 50', right? That should be plenty.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2005, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I think you would get better results with your DLP set by using DVI over component. I think DVI will give you 1:1 pixel-mapping at 1280x720 which is what you want. I don't have a DLP set, so I can't speak from experience. I am just going off what I have heard others say in this forum.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #6 of 6 Old 02-01-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travisimo
How far are your computer and TV apart?
I'd say about ten or eleven feet, along a straight line. Of greater importance is where the PC is in relation to where the KB/mouse is used; it's only about six feet away from the sitting area.

Quote:
I suppose I could run a USB hub into the living room from the PC with a long cable and then the wireless keyboard/mouse would work. But can you even run USB that far?
I guess it depends on how far "that far" is. If you're talking about doing this from a separate room entirely, then I concede that I'm out of my league on this one! =) A site I visited said you can combine up to five of their 16' extension cables for a total of 80 feet. So I guess there is some hope fo you.

==\dub/==
Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page