AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noob question about using tv as PC monitor

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dean Martin 
#1 ·
I have a 51 inch Hitachi that I use mostly for xbox gaming. My PC vid card is 9600 Pro.

What vid card (preferably ATI) do I need to use my TV as a pc monitor? Also, is it simple? Like, plug cable from vid card to tv, or is it a bit more complicated?

Thx.

#2 ·
Well, most cards nowadays.. have something to hook up at least s-video.

I know for a fact, the Radeon 9600XT does!

The latest cards (X800), you can purchase an adapter that converts the DVI to component for $15, direct from ATI.

.. Its pretty straight forward... install the card, install the ATI Catalyst drivers, and hook up the s-video cable to the TV. In the catalyst control panel, you detect the displays, and configure it appropriately.

Now.... getting a resolution that makes you happy.... thats another story.

#3 ·
Well, your TV has an HDMI input so that would be the way to go. Make sure your video card has a DVI output (it probably does). Then get a DVI/HDMI cable. This will give you nice digital signal quality, but more importantly, will let you use higher resolutions.

#5 ·
I have a few questions to go along with this. I'm new to the forums so forgive me for being a typical newb.

1. Is there any quality loss/gain over converting from HDMI to DVI via an adapter?

2. What about DVI to Component via the ATI dongle? Are there any advantages to going this route instead.

All the TV's that I've been researching seem to have plenty of useless S-video ports, but only 2 component inputs, and only one DVI/HDMI.

3. Typically you're going to plug your cable/HD reciever into one of the components, as well as your X-box into the other set, from what I understand. Is this correct?

4. What's the best way to setup all 4... cable/HD, Xbox, PC, and DVD player?

5. Given the choice, which is best to get, a TV with DVI or HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.