hdmi coming to pc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"The market for entertainment PCs is projected to grow from 7.9 million in 2004 to 59 million in 2008, driven largely by the growing availability of new HD content and the popularity of Microsoft's Windows Media Center Edition with integrated HDTV support," noted Dr. Jon Peddie, president of Jon Peddie Research. "HD content for PCs is becoming more abundant with entertainment PCs now sporting ATSC and digital cable HD tuners, not to mention the coming wave of BluRay and HD-DVD content. Following the lead of the CE market, the PC market will require PCs to support HDMI or DVI with HDCP in order to access this content. With its single cable coupling multi-channel audio and uncompressed HD video and its smaller connector, HDMI is poised to emerge as the de facto multimedia interface for both PCs and consumer electronics devices-enabling PCs with true entertainment and multimedia functionality."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050301/sftu027_1.html

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 02:44 AM

Liked: 10
Something very similar was reported at Anandtech or Tom's Hardware over a month ago.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blkout
Something very similar was reported at Anandtech or Tom's Hardware over a month ago.
There was a post very similar to yours over a year ago.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #4 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
>>Something very similar was reported at Anandtech or Tom's Hardware over a month ago.

I guess the main difference is they actually demonstrated a working chip at the Intel Developers conference. They will start shipping in Q3 05.

To all of us, connecting an hd gaming system is a piece of cake (maybe even part of the fun). But for non-tech people having hd video and multichannel sound go over one cable will be nice.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #5 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty L
There was a post very similar to yours over a year ago.
So you're saying That Anand and Tom reported this over a year ago? You got a link?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ileff
>>Something very similar was reported at Anandtech or Tom's Hardware over a month ago.

I guess the main difference is they actually demonstrated a working chip at the Intel Developers conference. They will start shipping in Q3 05.

To all of us, connecting an hd gaming system is a piece of cake (maybe even part of the fun). But for non-tech people having hd video and multichannel sound go over one cable will be nice.
Its a logical progression since it just makes sense today.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I am disappointed that it will REQUIRE HDMI. Let me rant like a lunatic for a minute here.

That is F'n BS!!!!! Now the mentally challenged, who couldn't figure out how to hook up a PC to an HDTV come along, 3 years late, and it's made EASY for them!?!!! I don't want anyone to struggle, but HDMI won't make things easy for me!! My Pioneer PDP434-CMX Doesn't have an HDMI port. Now I have to go buy another add in card? it's BS IMO. Ok, I am done ranting like a lunatic.

There is no reason to REQUIRE HDMI. Maybe I am over reacting. Maybe not. Time will tell.

Steve
post #8 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spelosi
I am disappointed that it will REQUIRE HDMI. Let me rant like a lunatic for a minute here.

That is F'n BS!!!!! Now the mentally challenged, who couldn't figure out how to hook up a PC to an HDTV come along, 3 years late, and it's made EASY for them!?!!! I don't want anyone to struggle, but HDMI won't make things easy for me!! My Pioneer PDP434-CMX Doesn't have an HDMI port. Now I have to go buy another add in card? it's BS IMO. Ok, I am done ranting like a lunatic.

There is no reason to REQUIRE HDMI. Maybe I am over reacting. Maybe not. Time will tell.
The requirement for HDMI/DVI is because of the DRM (HDCP). It's the content providers that are forcing everyone to use these digital formats because they want to control their content.

I agree with the whole "easy to use" part being BS, but just remember that HDCP-enabled technologies being good for the consumer is BS to begin with.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

I'm doing my part. Are you?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have been expecting this for a while though I had expected it to happen last year. Something tells me that Blu-ray and HD-DVD will require a HDCP output for any resolution higher than VGA. Also a bit more info on Intel's chips is here along with the interesting fact that these chips are only $6.50 per unit. Have to admit that these chips are well made and are able to output even 1080p at 60 Hz with up to 8 channels of 24/192 PCM audio. Though impressed I am sure there will be an outcry as all those computer LCD displays sold with DVI outputs, without HDCP, quickly end up as obsolete.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

If it's a digital format, and it's on PC, there will always be a way around it.

The Silver Screen Cinema
Co-Optimus (Co-Op Gaming)
The Weekly Release (Game, DVD, and Movie Release Dates)
post #11 of 11 Old 03-03-2005, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bapenguin
If it's a digital format, and it's on PC, there will always be a way around it.
Yes, but unfortunately, I like to be able to use my media as I see fit once I trade my cash for it. I'm too lazy to be jumping through hoops. :)

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

I'm doing my part. Are you?
Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page