Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Thought it might make for a cool thread to discuss some of those OLD pc games that are still damn fun today [ and with todays technology made to be even more enjoyable ;) ] .

--- I started thinking about what older games would be fun on a current generation PC [ with Front Projection in my case ] and started trying a few different games [ when you're sick there isn't much else to do ;) ] .

--- After trying a few different games I came across 'Rollcage' & 'Rollcage II' ... been playing em' ever since , what a blast :D [ and they even work with my custom widescreen resolutions ] .

--- Would like to hear about what other games are being played from a time when an SLi Voodoo 2 gaming rig ruled the land ;) .

---------- Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would love to find a copy of POD.Man,I miss that game.

Shawn
post #3 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Sam and Max Hit the Road. Great adventure game that is hilarious, with some fun minigames. Whack-A-Mole would be fun on the big screen :)

Actually, this may pre-date the Voodoo2. heh

...Get Your Fix (
)
Xbox Live Gamertag: voodoogmr
PlayStation Network: voodoogmr
post #4 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 05:17 PM

bards tale series
wasteland I can play all day long
Majesty is fun to just leave running.

sometimes I bust out wing commander 1-3 and play it on my plasma.
post #5 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah...Wing Commander, that takes me back.

The best I ever felt was completing an almost impossible mission (4-5 fights in a row) with the worst ship in the game.

Made it back with no armor, almost no working systems, and only 1 gun.

Ah...now I'll have to go dig it up again. :)

Ozy
post #6 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn O
I would love to find a copy of POD.Man,I miss that game.

Shawn
Shawn ,

--- I think I have that one around here somewhere , if I find it I will let you know ;) .

--------- Jason

post #7 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by voodoogmr
Sam and Max Hit the Road. Great adventure game that is hilarious, with some fun minigames. Whack-A-Mole would be fun on the big screen :)

Actually, this may pre-date the Voodoo2. heh
Yep , that is before the Voodoo2 era :) .

------ Jason

post #8 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I never got into Wing Commander , there was something else that I was really into playing when that came out (another really big game) but I cannot seem to remember what it was ;) .

------- Jason

post #9 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

drugwars... no graphics, just text...all fun. now i play it on my phone ...

"officer hard *** is on you tail...would you like to fight?" yep :D
post #10 of 36 Old 03-02-2005, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
Shawn ,

--- I think I have that one around here somewhere , if I find it I will let you know ;) .

--------- Jason
If you can't find it, let me know, I think I have one laying around too.

Steve
post #11 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 06:06 AM

Several games I think would be killer on a FP setup, my number one is of course: Scorched Earth. I still don't know why I haven't set up my laptop to play that yet. I played the 3d version of it last year before my main computer died, that was a riot.

Subspace is another game I still play but resolution truly matters in this game and you really need 1600x1200 to play effectively.

I would love to get X-wing vs Tie-Fighter up and running on my FP.

I would assume Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 with the ride option would be awesome on a projector (but this is not an old game).

Loyal subject of the First Galactic Empire.
4 out of 5 dermatologists agree, Force Lightning is bad for your skin.
post #12 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
Thought it might make for a cool thread to discuss some of those OLD pc games that are still damn fun today [ and with todays technology made to be even more enjoyable ;) ] .

--- I started thinking about what older games would be fun on a current generation PC [ with Front Projection in my case ] and started trying a few different games [ when you're sick there isn't much else to do ;) ] .

--- After trying a few different games I came across 'Rollcage' & 'Rollcage II' ... been playing em' ever since , what a blast :D [ and they even work with my custom widescreen resolutions ] .

--- Would like to hear about what other games are being played from a time when an SLi Voodoo 2 gaming rig ruled the land ;) .

---------- Jason
Underdog (cough) might help this thread...enough said :)

Buzz Aldrin's Race to Space...I really really really regret selling the CDROM version of this one...
post #13 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Jason- You rock, I've loved Rollcage since #1. I think for the PC version you could put in a different CD and it would play tracks from it.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #14 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

When I first got my DLP a couple years ago, I went through a nice period with a C64 emu, playing a ton of old C64 games. I used to code for the C64 when I was a kid, it was like coming full circle and seeing my modern life through my younger eyes. And I was pretty happy with what I had done, nice moment of introspection and many more moments of fun old school games.
Quote:
I would love to get X-wing vs Tie-Fighter up and running on my FP.
Tht's actually on my list as well, just haven't made time to mess with it.

This thread has inspired me, I go on vacation in a week and a half, maybe I'll dig out my old games and play 'em.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Wing Commander is defenitely one of the games I would love to fire up again. Another series would be the kings quest and space quest series from Sierra...
post #16 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
While not the best game, the graphics of forsaken blew me away when I got my Voodoo 1 in 97. I must agree with Wing Commander as being top notch though, I was never big into that series until prophecy came out and the I went back and played them all. From there I played Freespace and that was amazing. To bad no one's made a good space (fighting) sim since, freelancer was ok but didn't have joystick support, Starlancer, Meh. Hopefully someday we'll get a freespace 3 or WC 6.
post #17 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Underdog (cough)
No need to cough about abandonware, imo. If nobody is going to make it available to buy, where's the harm in trading software?

That's one thing that bugs me about buying music from dead musicians when there are no surviving members of the band to profit from the sale. Because then it's just vultures feeding on the works.

I'm extremely anti-piracy (as a former professional musician), but there are limits, and in software, abandonware is not something I'd consider piracy at all. I imagine some lawyer dweeb looking to vultch some cash would stridently disagree...but there's no cash to be made, hence the term abandonware ;)

/PSA
post #18 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 10:27 AM

X-Com: UFO Defense

Quite possibly the best game ever made.
post #19 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I really missed Transport Tycoon. I actually played it not so much for the way the programmers intended, but rather just to see how big I could get some.

I remember that game had a bug in the original executable and if you tried to built a tunnel costing over $3.9 Billion some counter would rollover and you would wind up with about $4 Billion in the bank. They publisher of the game offered a replacement executable to correct for this, but I liked starting with lots of money. :)

If I could get my hands on this game again it would be sweet. Anyone?

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #20 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm about to start playin Quake2 again with my buddies online using our old cutsom maps and Lithium II configs.

Fact is, for deathmatch, Lithium II when tweaked out with your own settings and using custom models is just too much fun. Compared to all the modern FPS's which are all too heavy on the teamwork motif, there isn't alot to compare it to.

Unreal Tournament is fun but, in a weird way, its not fun.....its hard to describe.....maybe beacuse there's no offhand grapple :D

Sadly as the years go by those old games (Particularly ones that do not support some form of 3D rendering) become less and less playable......I fired up a few old playstation games not too long ago, just to see if my 1st generation PS1 still worked, and could barely get past the lack of polygon filtering......

I have SKYNET and Terminator Futureshock.....which run just fine at SVGA resolution without 3D effects....but sadly, the games are quirky under Windows 2000. I almost want to set up a Windows 98 box just for oldskool gaming but dont really have the time anymore.

I've discovered that saving games is alot like saving junk....you feel good knowing you have it, but the fact is you'll probably never touch it again.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #21 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HeadRusch

I've discovered that saving games is alot like saving junk....you feel good knowing you have it, but the fact is you'll probably never touch it again.
I actually disagree with that statement. I still enjoy old games and still load them up, probably once every month or so I will go down into the dark recessed corners of the deep vault that is my digital library and pull out an old CD dating to the mid 90's. I will load up Myst and Riven (Why I bought Riven after killing myself getting through Myst is beyond me), play a horrible Lucasarts FPS, break out Command and Conquer: Red Alert and kill some Imperial Dogs!, or bust out Mech 2: Mercenaries.

Currently, I play at least one game a week of Master of Orion II. Probably my favorite strategy game ever. III was a let down.

post #22 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That's what I thought until I wanted to play POD again.
post #23 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
IVO

I have GLQuake on my 3400+ 6600GT. It runs at a gazillion fps@1600x1200. I remember putting a Voodoo1 in my Pentium 166mhz and running it at a heart stopping 30 fps@640x480 with bilinear filtering. I was so shocked at the quality that I sold my PSX and N64 immediately so I could concentrate on PC gaming full time.

Serious Sam is also on my PC.

Ah the Voodoo2 SLI days, remember when a P2 450mhz Voodoo2 SLI was leading edge? Quake 2 could finally be run 60fps without any lag. I still have my VoodooSLI/Voodoo3/1st gen Geforce kicking around.

Oh, and I also installed Ultima Ascension and have been playing it with full detail at 1280x1024. It still looks pretty good.
post #24 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I still have my VoodooSLI/Voodoo3/1st gen Geforce kicking around.
My 1st gen Geforce DDR came w/ rollcage in the bundle and my Voodoo2 came w/ Monster Truck Madness 2.I still use the DDR in my old HTPC.
post #25 of 36 Old 03-03-2005, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My dual Diamond Monster Voodoo2 12mb cards both bit the dust many years ago :( . My GeForce 256 DDR is still functioning in my brothers PC but it has issues due to the fan going out [GeForce 2 Ultra did the same thing - fan failed] . I still have an ATi Rage Pro AGP 4mb here that functions as good as new - lol . Daily use PC has a GeForce MX4000 AGP fanless that runs really well for a low end card but I suspect it will fail due to no cooling fan .

--- Funny how we are now back into PCI SLi configurations , I guess 3dfx was way ahead of the curve ;) .

----------- Jason

post #26 of 36 Old 03-04-2005, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yeah but I dont think those SLI configurations are going to turn into much of anything. I dunno, call me crazy, but the dual card option still isn't as fast as the single card solution, and the price is about the same. So the question becomes: Why ?

I mean, I had a single Voodoo2....and then a few months later I got a 2nd (Orchid Voodoo 2!). I never ran any games at 1024x768, but I ran them all at 640x480 at super fast framerates..like..40 or 50fps man!!! :D

But that was then...3D cards were expensive game gadgets only geeks owned. Today, its a different world.

The only way SLI would work, would be if the company producing it deliberately slowed down the development on their next-gen products. For example, you make a Geforce 6800 Ultra the high end card. And you dont make another one faster for years. Then, as games progress a bit, you can add that 2nd 6800Ultra for SLI performance, making SLI...and not constant technology upgrading....the method of choice for better game performance.

Now we know that wont happen because of competition.

But man, it would be great for all of us if it DID happen. Instead of developers always having to spend time pushing the envelope (instead of creating actual good games), they could focus on content and tweaking existing technology. Look at Gt4 on the PS2.......thats what can happen when you give a group of people thea bility to maximize potential of a system, as opposed to always having them chasing the next DX shader release....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #27 of 36 Old 03-04-2005, 05:25 AM

I had a 2meg trident that somehow outputted an impossible 1600x1200 on a 14inch screen that supposively maxed out at 1024x768. It was magical, I don't know how it worked.

Then I purchased a single 12 meg voodoo2 for the machine (pentium 120 overclocked to 133!), this was traded along with my voodoo3, a dual P2 motherboard and some cash for a 6way pentium pro setup.

I still have my geforce 2mx sitting on a table in the basement, however my ATI 9500pro bit the dust when my CPU heatsink fell off and shorted out the card.

Back on topic - I recently played Godzilla for the x-box, now I want to play Rampage on the projector (I still the the 3.5 inch floppy of it somewhere).

post #28 of 36 Old 03-04-2005, 06:22 AM
IVO

HeadRusch, I completely agree with what you're saying. It's the reason I bowed out of PC gaming 5 years ago. Developers weren't exploiting existing technology producing better playing games but always creating games for tech that didn't even exist. Which is both good and bad.

This why I think the next couple of generations of consoles just might be the gaming platforms of choice. Killer hardware that developers can fully exploit without having to program for thousands of different configurations.

It's happened before and it'll happen again, people who have 6800GTSLI are grooving right now, but when the next big title hits those cards are going to be spitting blood.
post #29 of 36 Old 03-04-2005, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I found myself playing only two games: Counter-Strike (FPS) and Civilization (Strategy). Since the feature-growth in these were quite limited I considered, and then moved, to console. Still, I miss the ability to play detailed strategy games.

Anyone got Transport Tycoon? My copy went bad (one of the 3.25" floppy disks wouldn't read anymore and trash it went).

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #30 of 36 Old 03-04-2005, 09:29 AM

Starcraft! Not sure which videocard era it's from since I was never a big pc gamer. It ran on my pc and I loved it. Probably to this day my favorite game of all time.

-Dzejms

XBL Gamertag: Dzejms
Clan: TeamAVS
Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page