Best DLP for gaming/using as a PC monitor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-27-2005, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sup? I'm planning on making a DLP (or RPTV CRT if you guys convince me) purchase here pretty quick but before I do I was wondering which one/s worked the best for what I have planed. What I need:

1. Must accept 480i/480p/720p/1080i (I've seen some sets that refuse one of those or more instead of scailing them).

2. Must allow 1:1 mapping for a PC connection (I hate overscan!).

3. No audio-sync problems (would kill my gaming and movie sessions).

4. DVI and/or VGA connection (I guess HDMI would work too with an adapter).

Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

toshiba 52hm84
i used an ati dongle its amazing

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #3 of 12 Old 04-28-2005, 07:05 AM

A lot of the audio sync issued that people have reported on the Samsung models are overblown in my opinion. I have several different types of tv's and a lot of the sync issues are either related to the broadcaster or specific channels.
That said, the Samsung models, while good are not going to meet your list because at TV wide mode you get overscan and PC wide mode you get a black frame around the screen.
Basically if I am gaming on my Samsung I run games at TV wide and fill the screen and for PC work I run PC wide with the small frame.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

You can get 1:1 with a Samsung DLP; just not at 1280x720. I underscan the desktop 3% to something like 1241x698. The only outstanding issue with the Samsung DLPs is really the lag on 480i material.

However, the HLP models have VGA, DVI, and HDMI connectors which is a pretty big bonus. Lets me hook up the Dreamcast, PC, and eventually some HD box all at once.

Cush
post #5 of 12 Old 04-28-2005, 09:42 AM

For the same price as a rear projection DLP ,you can get a front projector DLP and have 2-3 times the screen size. I have a Sharp z2000 FP and it does everything you requested. Native 1280x720, accepts all the HD resolutions, 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan and has a DVI connection. Only downside is your room needs to be dark, not completely dark, for it to looks its best. Nothing better than playing Half Life 2 on a 120'' screen.

I have my HTPC connected to the projector and cannot fathom ever going back to a regular size tv (42''-50'') again.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2005, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by maxfli100
For the same price as a rear projection DLP ,you can get a front projector DLP and have 2-3 times the screen size. I have a Sharp z2000 FP and it does everything you requested. Native 1280x720, accepts all the HD resolutions, 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan and has a DVI connection. Only downside is your room needs to be dark, not completely dark, for it to looks its best. Nothing better than playing Half Life 2 on a 120'' screen.

I have my HTPC connected to the projector and cannot fathom ever going back to a regular size tv (42''-50'') again.
I was originally thinking about getting either a LCD or DLP projector (I think a friend told me that DLP projectors have worse rainbow problems than the TV DLPs), but I don't know how well that would fit in my room since I can't paste it on my ceiling (I have about 16'' wall to wall if I was going to put it on a stand or something). Still, I might look into that after all since projectors run cheaper than TVs on eBay. I wonder if I can use my PC speakers with it for normal TV/DVD stuff...

Thanks for the input guys. If anyone else has suggestions, keep 'em coming!
post #7 of 12 Old 04-28-2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cush1978
You can get 1:1 with a Samsung DLP; just not at 1280x720. I underscan the desktop 3% to something like 1241x698. The only outstanding issue with the Samsung DLPs is really the lag on 480i material.

However, the HLP models have VGA, DVI, and HDMI connectors which is a pretty big bonus. Lets me hook up the Dreamcast, PC, and eventually some HD box all at once.

Cush
How do you do that, with powerstrip?

Do you hack games to get them to run at that res, & how did you determine that number?
Do games look better at that res?

Thx.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-28-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Dean, here's something about the Samsung and DLP.

http://www.cheezmo.com/blog/C1780522224/

He's an ISF certified calibration guy who knows his stuff. I never TV Wide was doing any processing. I set it to expand, and there's 0 overscan.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-28-2005, 01:29 PM

I have my projector sitting on a lower shelf of my audio rack. Since I live in an apartment, I did not want to ceiling mount. I have no problems with the way the projector is set up this way. As far as rainbows, I saw them at first but rarely seem them now. Be careful buying a projector off ebay. Toshiba has come out with a new DLP projector that is probably cheaper than a 42" rear projection unit. I was dead set on getting a samsung DLP until i saw the projector hooked up to a pc.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-28-2005, 01:48 PM

I dont do any PC gaming, but I do play alot of Xbox over Live. I purchased the Samsung DLP and got BB to pay for the ISF calibration, but when I went to the only guy in town that was qualified, he wouldnt touch a sammy to save his life. So I returned it and got a toshiba 52HM84, cause thats what the guy that does the ISF calibrations sold...and I cant even begin to explain the night and day difference between these two sets. The Tosh blew the sammy away, and I couldnt believe it, but it did.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Dean, I don't even need Powerstrip; I've been doing this with nVidia drivers. Under the 61.XX drivers, I added a custom resolution for 1248x702. For the newest 71.XX drivers, I let it detect 1280x720. Then I used the new driver feature "underscan compensation" and set it to 3% to get everything to fit on the screen.

For games, I either let them go to 1280x720 and change the TV mode to get the screen to fit. Some games will detect the odd resolution used by underscanning (1241x698 or whatever). If games don't support either resolution, I just use 800x600 or 1024x768 and set the driver to "Display Adapter Scaling" as opposed to "Centered". Obviously, it's different with ATI cards, but the ATI users have methods of making this work as well.

Cush
post #12 of 12 Old 04-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SR Immortal
I dont do any PC gaming, but I do play alot of Xbox over Live. I purchased the Samsung DLP and got BB to pay for the ISF calibration, but when I went to the only guy in town that was qualified, he wouldnt touch a sammy to save his life. So I returned it and got a toshiba 52HM84, cause thats what the guy that does the ISF calibrations sold...and I cant even begin to explain the night and day difference between these two sets. The Tosh blew the sammy away, and I couldnt believe it, but it did.

I'm curious what model of samsung DLP did you buy?

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page