Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From the IGN FAQ:
Q: Does the game support non-traditional screen resolutions and ratios?

A: Yes, but you will have to manually edit a config file.

Q: Are the menus locked into 800x600?

A: No, they scale to your chosen resolution.

And i know exactly whats going on. game is runnning nicely for its intro and such at 720p, but then jumps into 800x600 or 768 (resolutions i have yet to get working on powerstrip) it then cycles itself enough times to fill up my memory and eventually gives me a blue screen of death then restarts. pretty common when i do a resolution it doesnt like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Tinker, I don't care about snipers......snipers are fine.....its SK'ing I'm bitching about. Just happened to be a Sniper this past time, could have just as easily been a machine gunner laying down 3 feet away...

As for the "Whine" comment, whatever. Thats what these forums are for. Whining about Snipers, whining about TKing, whining about how our X2's bulb blew at 300 hours, etc. Without people complaining we're left with a forum full of people asking WHICH PROJECTOR DO I BUY or "WHEN IS THIS UPGRADE COMING OUT"........dont want to hear it, dont read my posts.

My gripe isn't with snipers, or carpet bombing, its with SPAWNCAMPING. And I agree, even Quake2 had mods that afforded you protection...most modern games give you a grace period of 2-5 seconds to at least get MOVING....it allows you to get back into the game without immediately dropping dead. Some games have solved this by making spawn areas off limits to enemies....either solution would be preferrable to whats going on right now.

Spawncamping was a nuisance for FPS's for a decade now, and MOST games have solved the problem, or at least reduced it.....but BF2 not having tihs simple thing can prove very frustrating if you're playing against a cheap team (parking vehicles over spawn points, etc).
Spawncamping on the boat, etc.

My gripe with BF2 is that as *soon* as I'd spawn, the sniper had his sights laying right at head level....I'd die before my screen showed me as even being back in the game. I didn't even have a chance to go prone......and there was only 1 other spawn point available, and it was scoped in too.

Rewarding the good team? Perhaps....but an UNNECESSARILY cheap way to play the game.
Respawns should at least have a fighting chance, or else why bother respawning at all...to inflate some losers ego?

BF2 needs a grace period....an invincibility for 5 seconds or until you fire your weapon..whatever. Because this problem will only get worse as more and more people discover they can do it.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #93 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 08:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
BF2 needs a grace period....an invincibility for 5 seconds or until you fire your weapon..whatever. Because this problem will only get worse as more and more people discover they can do it.
Good idea as this is a typical problem in these sorts of games. Ghost Recon, battlefield, etc are all going to generate spawn killing complaints.
post #94 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Headrusch,

yes when u are down to the 1 spawn/choke point then u get ur @ss handed to u. That happens in real life, look at the 1st Iraq war, the hiway of death. Falaise gap in WW2 during Normandy battles. Oh I correct the whining to add pple, didnt meant it personaly. :o

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #95 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Uh-huh.....the only difference is, this isn't real life. This is a game, where concessions are made on everything from stamina to aiming cones to the lethality of weapon hits, to vehicle control.
Getting my @ss handed to me is half the fun......dying before you can take a step repeatedly isn't something however that is condusive to a good game experience.....once in awhile is one thing, but making it a tactic to be exploited in the game will only result to gamers moving on.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #96 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch
Uh-huh.....the only difference is, this isn't real life. This is a game, where concessions are made on everything from stamina to aiming cones to the lethality of weapon hits, to vehicle control.
Getting my @ss handed to me is half the fun......dying before you can take a step repeatedly isn't something however that is condusive to a good game experience.....once in awhile is one thing, but making it a tactic to be exploited in the game will only result to gamers moving on.
Yes BF2 is a game but u are trying to get some fun of doing something u cant or dont want to do in real life. It tries to sim real tactics/weapons etc, else u might as well play UT or Halo. To be honest. I dont think I'd ever died from a sniper when spawning, usally its a APC/Tank or camping grunt (the pot calling the kettle black :rolleyes: ) with an auto weapon :D . Or the instant death from above...from helos, bombs and arty.

YES BF2 needs a safe spawn time.

post #97 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I found these shortcut hacks for resolution below. They seem to work for the menu but since the game menu doesn't provide the new resolution in the Video Options or reoptimize the shaders like it does whenever video settings are changed I'm kind of wondering if it's working 'in game' so to speak.

My goal is to play at 1280x1024.

Quote:
1280x1024 support in Battlefield 2 demo

This info was found on another forum and hasn't been tested but , I'm told it works.

Start BF2 with a shortcut with the following switch:

"[driveletter]:\\Program Files\\EA GAMES\\Battlefield 2 Demo\\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

This works with widescreen resolutions as well as 4x3(ish) aspect ratio stuff, I'm currently running 1920x1200 without a problem. Smile

"[driveletter]:\\Program Files\\EA GAMES\\Battlefield 2 Demo\\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200
____________________________________________________________ ______________

Some Tricks and Cheats for uber-popular Demo
Collected around some tips to enhance your Battlefield 2 demo experience; EA has a winner coming, expect huge ratings and awards around. All the tips below don't require any hacking and can be done by a mildly expert user.

1) Intro removal
go to EA GAmes/battlefield 2 demo/mods/bf2/movies and move somewhere else or rename (or even delete) the demo_*.bik EA.Bik and Nvidia.Bik
not really generous versus people that brought the demo but undoubetly saves load time.

1280x1024 resolution
change game shortcut to "bf2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #98 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB
I found these shortcut hacks for resolution below. They seem to work for the menu but since the game menu doesn't provide the new resolution in the Video Options or reoptimize the shaders like it does whenever video settings are changed I'm kind of wondering if it's working 'in game' so to speak.

My goal is to play at 1280x1024.

Yes the rez trick works since I use 1280x720 for BF2. Not 100% widescrren since its cutting some of the actual game image off at top, but not the hud or status bars since they appear on screen. The images are not distorted except for the menu and right top map during the game. In the demo u can turn the intro's off using the method u describe but I havent tried with the retail.

post #99 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, how is the voice over IP in this game, I know it is just for squad and commanders. Or do you guys using teamspeak? I've been on a team with about 20 Xbox players since Live came out, started with OGR. www.reconbrothers.com We've done the matches and teamcompete and all that, but it comes down to us just having fun. We have a few guys gathered to play Battlefield 2 since Xbox is slow with games, atleast til 360. Is there a certain server you guys play in, It sure would be nice to fight along with you guys.

Xbox GT: LENNY 2112
post #100 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker
Headrusch,

yes when u are down to the 1 spawn/choke point then u get ur @ss handed to u. That happens in real life, look at the 1st Iraq war, the hiway of death. Falaise gap in WW2 during Normandy battles. Oh I correct the whining to add pple, didnt meant it personaly. :o
Interesting spin.
post #101 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69
From the IGN FAQ:
Q: Does the game support non-traditional screen resolutions and ratios?

A: Yes, but you will have to manually edit a config file.

Q: Are the menus locked into 800x600?

A: No, they scale to your chosen resolution.

And i know exactly whats going on. game is runnning nicely for its intro and such at 720p, but then jumps into 800x600 or 768 (resolutions i have yet to get working on powerstrip) it then cycles itself enough times to fill up my memory and eventually gives me a blue screen of death then restarts. pretty common when i do a resolution it doesnt like.
Well at least try the driver updates and so on. Don't give up we want to see you online representing AVS.
post #102 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got my copy from futureshop one day in advance....lucked out.
I just picked up the DVD copy at Futureshop, and the clerk was giving me a real hard time with the price. Their website lists it at 49.99 for both CD and DVD, but in store they're trying to sell the DVD copies for the full 59.99... Buddy tried to tell me that the price only applied to online (which was sold out), but after some careful reasoning he ended up price matching for me.

Just a word of caution to other Canadians!

See everyone on the new maps tonight! Are there any instant favourites yet??
post #103 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ
Ok, I think I've seen other people posting about this, but I just experienced it tonight.

It can happen that people's names on your own team will show RED! :eek:
Was this with the demo or retail version?? I definitely had this problem a few times with the demo (might have taken out a few of our friends here :rolleyes: ), but haven't had a chance to try the retail yet...

If it's still occuring with the retail version, then they better get a patch ready quick, MEDIC!
post #104 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher
I just picked up the DVD copy at Futureshop, and the clerk was giving me a real hard time with the price. Their website lists it at 49.99 for both CD and DVD, but in store they're trying to sell the DVD copies for the full 59.99... Buddy tried to tell me that the price only applied to online (which was sold out), but after some careful reasoning he ended up price matching for me.

I got mine for 49.99 without any probm's even tho their web site and flyer states its for pre-orders. If they give u a hassle, tell them to price match Bestbuy.ca their parent company.

post #105 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got mine for 49.99 without any probm's even tho their web site and flyer states its for pre-orders. If they give u a hassle, tell them to price match Bestbuy.ca their parent company. Lucky in town here the Futureshop is right next door to the Bestbuy.

post #106 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69
Well VNC didnt work either so if anyone has any ideas or can just send my over a settings file with 1776x1000 resolution already selected it would help.
Check out the other thead 'BF2 Demo is Out', there's a post in there that explains how to set custom resolutions. Basically you need to add a few switches to the end of the .exe, you can make the changes in the shortcut properties window.
post #107 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

My copy should be here in a day or so from EBOnline.....in fact if it doesn't show up today I'd be surprised. Of course this just means more new maps to learn and runnin around like a total noob 11 more times. The nice part about the Beach demo map is that its got that familiar feel to it now. And even within it, if you trek out on foot, there are some pretty intersting places to set up attacks....

post #108 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
XFire Username: avsstress
XFire Nickname: AVS_Stress
Battlefield 2 Name: Stress

FYI - usernames need to be in all lower case and a-z/0-9. Some people have listed their Nicknames and I believe you need the username when adding a Friend (meaning, I can't add you if you only provided AVS_[name] or your nickname here).

I'll alter my sig for a bit (if I even have one) to include the info.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #109 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Was this with the demo or retail version??
Retail. :( I didn't experience this "friendly red name" problem/glitch/bug with the demo. Also, I rarely saw it... it just occurred at one point in the game.
post #110 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got mine for 49.99 without any probm's even tho their web site and flyer states its for pre-orders. If they give u a hassle, tell them to price match Bestbuy.ca their parent company. Lucky in town here the Futureshop is right next door to the Bestbuy.
Actually the website said the price was 'also' available on preorders, but that the sale actually starts on June 23rd. The managers argument was that the prices listed on the website are for orders made online, and don't necessarily correspond with in store prices. I had never heard of that from future shop before...

Anyways, can't wait to check on some new locales!
post #111 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My copy should be here in a day or so from EBOnline.....in fact if it doesn't show up today I'd be surprised. Of course this just means more new maps to learn and runnin around like a total noob 11 more times. The nice part about the Beach demo map is that its got that familiar feel to it now. And even within it, if you trek out on foot, there are some pretty intersting places to set up attacks....
What u will find with the retail maps are that they are big esp the 64 player maps. U need to get a ride to get anywhere fast. So far most maps that I played has been armour dominated except the ones that take place inside large city maps (2 city maps that I played, one was clear and the other was hazed over). Few better AT and AA weapon platforms are nice too. Better graphics seems to me then the demo. Sniper (sic) sights seems better on the retail since the spider hair sights are no longer rope thick. Contrary to what pple may think, I dont always play as a sniper, medics are fun, esp if u try to sneek up behind somebody (sniper) and try to zap them with the paddles, but havent been able to do that yet to see what effect it would have vs an unfriendly tho tried but got nailed before I could do it :cool: .

post #112 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mines and C4 are great ways to take out Armor........most times I'm the only person laying mines, hopefully your team mates aren't stupid enough to run over anything with a redX on it, lest you get banned for TKing...

post #113 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mines and C4 are great ways to take out Armor........most times I'm the only person laying mines, hopefully your team mates aren't stupid enough to run over anything with a redX on it, lest you get banned for TKing...
I get occasional TK penalties since most pple on the pub srvers dont even know what the red x-bones mean :rolleyes: . Even tho I put the clays right at the top of ladders so friendlies see them before getting to th top (if they choose to look) but in open or closed in areas or around corners thats hard to do. So dont approach ur own snipers is what I do. I saw last night a friendly laying mines on a road leading away from our main base, and they knocked out 2 tanks and 1 APC leaving our base even tho the mines where a distance from the spawn and well in the middle of the road and easily seen and avoided. I saw all this in a high tower position.

Lately I gotton a few TK's not from traps but from backing up armour over them esp in middle of a firefight. I would punch smoke and backup, and squash....usally when I get TK'd I forgive unless it happens continuously by the same player.

Clays are diff. dont have to run over them , just in front would set them off. When I 1st played BF2 I was used to how the clays worked in JO ( didnt do friendlies )and I' layed them and got killed when I reteated (er..backing up, strategic withdraw ;) ) over them...Also on one map I got air friendly damage to a helo passing in front of a clay on top of a tower.

post #114 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENNY 2112
Hey guys, how is the voice over IP in this game, I know it is just for squad and commanders. Or do you guys using teamspeak? I've been on a team with about 20 Xbox players since Live came out, started with OGR. www.reconbrothers.com We've done the matches and teamcompete and all that, but it comes down to us just having fun. We have a few guys gathered to play Battlefield 2 since Xbox is slow with games, atleast til 360. Is there a certain server you guys play in, It sure would be nice to fight along with you guys.
We'd love to play with you, just sign up for Xfire.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #115 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Roger that!

Xbox GT: LENNY 2112
post #116 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 94
My xfire name is nothru22, some people start inviting me to be their friend!

Your mom is a classy lady!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/ 

post #117 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 01:20 PM

XFire Username: deanofgames
XFire Nickname: AVS_The_Dean
Battlefield 2 Name: deanmartin88
post #118 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LENNY 2112
Hey Lenny, you can always jump on our teamspeak 63.85.17.90:8767 server for some good team work. We have a 64 person server up right now. I only got on last night for a few mins but plan to play tonight and this weekend. If you or anyone else is interested shoot me a msg on XFire or jump on our TS. Anyone who plays on any of our servers is more than welcome to use our TS. The more you hang around the easier to get in if the server is full too. ;)

NinjaServe BF2 Retail 64 Player Server @ 66.29.24.112
post #119 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Stryker, does this mean you dont use the ingame audio but instead use your own teamspeak server? Whats the IP addy of your 64 player box?

post #120 of 308 Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Just out of curiousity, not to jack this thread, ill start a new one if you guys wish, im just wondering what your specs are for ur pc for those playing bf2 and how is it performing?

i got a
p4 3ghz 433mhz fsb (might be 500 but i forget)
1g pc3200 ddr
asus p4c800 deluxe
ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb
2 sata wd raptor 74g 10000rpm mirrored raid drives..
playing 1920x1200 on 23" LCD via dvi..

overall i get good performace, no real video lag at all.. biggest problem is load times but from most reviews i see sounds like everyone is getting that..

oh yea one other thing.. do you use the ingame server selecter or gamespy or something else..

chris

i have a budget bigger than my budget.

Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page