HDTV Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I'm at the point where I'd like to upgrade my old 4:3 TV and get a widescreen. I have an entire room in my house that I'm dedicating to a media room, so I'd like to get a large screen TV-- I'm thinking 67" or so, DLP. I'd really also like to use the TV as a gaming monitor for my computer. I'm considering the Samsung HL-R6768W model, which has a native 1920x1080 res, which my PC can handle ok, and this model has a PC input, but it's VGA. The specs say that the TV's DVI and HDMI aren't "PC Compatible." However, the specs show that the VGA hookup can handle 1920x1080 just fine.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with Widescreen HD gaming on a screen this size. If so, I'd like to benefit from your wisdom. What advice can you offer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-08-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the latest model Sony SXRD (the 50"), and using a DVI -> HDMI cable from my HTPC I choose 1920x1080 and it looks excellent. Super crisp, just like 1080p should be, reading small text from the couch is no problem.

I think my graphics card will explode if I try to game at that res though (6800gt).

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #3 of 15 Old 04-09-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Scotty, it helps to know that small text will come through fine at that resolution. I am trying to get one solution for my media room, in that I'd like to find a TV that I can use also as my main computer monitor, including for gaming and movies.

Samsung is scaring me, though. I like their DLP TVs, and their earlier models have DVI-I inputs and my PC has DVI-I too. However, their newer model, the one from last July, the HL-R6768W, which is 1920x1080, doesn't have any DVI-I inputs. Instead, it has HDMI inputs. The manual says that these can work as DVI-I inputs if you use an adapter, but then it notes: "(Not PC compatible)" and directs you to use the 15-pin dsub VGA connector, which of course is analog. I am afraid the picture won't be as sharp. I can see that Samsung is moving toward just having HDMI because it carries both digital and audio, but why not make it PC compatible?

I'd like to find someone who uses the Samsung as a monitor who can fill me in as to what they're doing.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-10-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

my advice is to run a couple of searches for the model you're interested in in the HTPC forum. There's a huge thread for the SXRD's, hopefully there's one for the Sammy DLPs.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #5 of 15 Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I own the 6168 model. I love the set! It works great for my gaming/htpc via vga (as long as you have a good computer system and video card ) Also, I have an xbox 360, 1080 via component and the picture quality is great, no lag. Some of the best entertainment dollars I've ever spent and my first widescreen tv. :)
post #6 of 15 Old 08-16-2006, 12:53 AM

It's amazing how much these things have come down in price in recent years.

I actually ended up going for a plasma HDTV. Pioneer. Love it.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-16-2006, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here:

If you're paying that kind of money for a display, it had damn well better allow you to run DVI or HDMI from a PC into the set.

VGA will never look as good on a digital display as a DVI or HDMI digital connection would.

When you run DVI or HDMI into a digital display, what you get is, effectively, a gigantic laptop screen. Perfectly rendered, no blurriness, no edge-enhancement, no ghosting.

With VGA, on every single display I have seen, there is always a noticible degradation of image quality, particulary with text.

Now...why am I bringing this up when games will look just fine? Simple: If you plan on using this as a PC display, 1080p text is going to be SMALL if you're sitting far away from it......so you want it to be as razor sharp as it can possibly get, which you wont get if you run analog into the display.

..my .02 cents...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #8 of 15 Old 08-16-2006, 04:35 PM

I have a 1080p Toshiba and the VGA input does not support resolutions above 1024 x 768 and I am surprised to here that the Samsung does...would be curious to see that...but anyways I'd bet you could ignore the 'Not PC Compatible' that your reading. I have that as well and get a great picture over component.

Be aware that the first HDMI ready graphics cards are just coming out, and this will be the likely solution for everyone...DVI needs to be forgotten...

Later,
Trebuken
post #9 of 15 Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
With my Sammy 6168, the picture is incredible through VGA, including text. I use the DLP for computer related viewing about 90% of the time it is on. At the time I purchased it, it was the only display that I could afford that would allow full native 1080p for the computer. I know that VGA will be limited in the near future because of all of the DRM that is being forced down our throats and limiting HD content through non HDCP input/outputs.
My next set will be HDCP compliant and will accept a 1080p via HDMI, although that will be many years from now. Can't justify spending thousands of dollars every few years on tv upgrades to stay DRM complient. If I was purchasing a tv now to work with my computer, I'd do research for a set that would accept 1080p via HDMI. That would make it more future proof. However, I am happy with my Sammy so far.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

If you can wait a bit longer I'd wait.

I use a Sharp projector (96" screen) and while is image is great and very involving those HDP lamps are expensive. I expected them to drop in price as more and more people bought DLPs but they haven't. They are still $400 a pop, and if you are talking about using the display for TV, movies and PC use you'll be replacing the bulb AT LEAST once a year. I've had some early failures on my bulbs due to how long I run it (the projector was not designed for 6 hour frag sessions followed by a movie) and I'm on my third bulb in just over a year. When this one goes I'm planning to just sell the projector and buy one of the new LED or laser DLPs due in stores in a month or two.

I stopped by Magnolia over the weekend and they will be getting the 56" Sammy LED model at the end of September. Expect to see Mitsubishi's laser models in the stores before Christmas. They have some huge advantages. No bulb replacement (LEDs/Lasers will last 20,000+ hours), greatly reduved chance for rainbows and less noise due to no color wheel and lower heat output (no need for a fan) and from a performance perspective LEDs and Lasers can reproduce truer colors than HDP lamps can. The only place they fall short is in maximum light output, though the laser sets are said to be very close to HDP lamps.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 AM

I have a HL-S5688 and a plain VGA cable works fine. True, I had to get a 50 footer but still.....

Yes, I play games on it Battlefield xx, F.E.A.R., Guild Wars, etc.

I saw a press release from Sapphire announcing an ATI branded HDMI video adapter. Didn't see the card, just the release.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver......
post #12 of 15 Old 08-19-2006, 09:03 AM

I'm posting this on a 50" Samsung DLP 1080p through VGA and I'm happy. There is a little overscan in 720p.

Has anyone had burn in with these?

Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive c: mean?'
Visit the best fan page in the universe for the Best page in the universe.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Burn in is not possible with a DLP. You could develop dead pixels but this is an unrelated issue (e.g. dead pixels won't develop because you leave a static image on the screen).
post #14 of 15 Old 08-19-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Here's the burn-in hierarchy

PLASMAS : Most succeptable to burn-in.

REAR PROJECTION CRT TV: Second most succeptable to burn-in

CRT: Highly unlikely to develop burn in due to uneven pixel wear

LCD: Almost impossible to burn in or create uneven pixel wear

DLP: Impossible to burn in

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #15 of 15 Old 08-19-2006, 03:43 PM

Cool, that's what I've heard-I've just known other people that got RPTVs that were supposedly burn in proof that have burn in after a few years.

Daddy, what does 'now formatting drive c: mean?'
Visit the best fan page in the universe for the Best page in the universe.
Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page