Help with full, widescreen hi-res gaming please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks. Before I get into gory details, I should say that I've read the stickies and the FAQ's, I've done the hacks, I've config-ed the files, and I'm still having issues. So please don't point me to a custom resolution setting procedure. I may be wrong, but I *think* I'm beyond that...

What I have is a HtPC running XP pro SP2 using an Nvidia 7600GT. I'm using the "tv-out" converted to component video running up to a 42" HD monitor. I've got the latest drivers for the card and I've used the "sony trick" to get it to remember my desktop resolution settings. I'm currently running my desktop at 1232 x 692 and it takes up about 99% of my 42" screen. Videos and dvd's look great. My problem is running games. So far I've tried Doom3, Quake4, and Madden 06. I believe each has built-in support for widescreen, hi-res gaming.

My issue is, when I try to run the game, the biggest I can run them at is 800 x 600 at full screen. This is using the "medium quality" video setting in the game. If I try to run at anything larger (1024 x 768) I get an error msg and the game reverts to 640 x 480. If I set the game to run at non-fullscreen, I can run at much bigger screen sizes, but then they run inside windows and look funny (I can't stretch them to take up the entire screen, I can see my desktop in the background). I have an email in to Nvidia's tech support. Could it be the component video? Do I need to use the DVI output? Do I have a setting incorrect somewhere?

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

What is the native reslution of your monitor?

Most likely it's 1280x720, have you tried running the games at that resolution?

Most games don't like custom resolutions like you are using for your desktop. The textures don't scale properly and you get a host of other errors. Most likely what is happening is powerstrip (assumeing you are using PS for the custom resolution) is telling the game that your monitor's resolution is 1232 x 692 and thus the highest resolution that it can do and the game can support is 800x600.

What I'd recommend is running 1280x720 and either living with the overscan or attempt to fix it using the service menu. At least I assume that overscan is the reason you are not already running native.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-25-2006, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirknelson
What is the native reslution of your monitor?

What I'd recommend is running 1280x720 and either living with the overscan or attempt to fix it using the service menu. At least I assume that overscan is the reason you are not already running native.
Thanks for the reply. I tried that, and it didn't work either. The game resets to 640-480. Not many responses to this post, so am I the only one having this problem? Everyone else got pc games running full screen hi-res on their HDTV's?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-25-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Running a bizarre resolution shouldn't cause problems. I run 1232x696 and don't have any issues with most games. Games that natively support widescreen will show your custom res as a selection. If they don't, I'd say it's probably related to using the TV out, but I'm not sure why this would be an issue. How did you set up your custom res? Does it show up on the slider to set resolutions in the display properties applet?

CheckWidescreen Gaming Forum for info on how to get specific games running properly, if you haven't already. From your opening statement it sounds like you may have, but maybe you've missed something.
Closed Thread HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page