Microsoft's "Games for Windows" and Widescreen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-12-2006, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
In the latest PC Gamer issue, they go pretty in depth into Vista and the Games for Windows campaign launch by Microsoft. Pretty interesting stuff. One of the pre-requisites that developers must follow to allow the Games for Windows graphics to be slapped on their box, and subsequently their games to be placed on the kiosks, is "they must support widescreen resolutions." Now of course, developers don't have to do this, and their games will still run on Vista, but Microsoft isn't charging anything for the Games for Windows graphics and logos to be used, as long as they follow certain criteria. It sounds like Microsoft is going pretty full force with a large marketing campaign with this early next year (kiosks in 9,000 stores by the time Vista is launched).

Good news for us. Exactly which resolutions they will support who knows, but it's a good requirement to have.

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-13-2006, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it works out the way that article spells it out and hopes it does: I'm all for it.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm, sounds like Microsoft is trying to squash Linux and keep people from moving to Macs. Can't have the Ipod movement threaten their monopoly. More widescreen support is a definite plus but I wonder what the other requirements are.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-14-2006, 08:25 AM

since when did linux do games very well at all? granted it always had ut and quake but other than that it's pretty barren..

anyway, without reading the article, at least it sounds like the 'games for windows' thing is more than just a tag slapped on the box and making it a way to force widescreen support is definitely not a bad thing
post #5 of 16 Old 11-14-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I read this article too and kept bugging out at the picture of the Gears of War box on the store PC gaming shelf. I spent about 10 minutes on Google to see if it was coming out for PC ;p

Anyway, it's nice to see MS is not directing all of its gaming focus on the 360.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #6 of 16 Old 11-15-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirknelson View Post

Hmm, sounds like Microsoft is trying to squash Linux and keep people from moving to Macs. Can't have the Ipod movement threaten their monopoly. More widescreen support is a definite plus but I wonder what the other requirements are.

I don't think these are all of them, but:

1.) the game must include support for Microsoft's Xbox 360 controller
2.) must run on 64-bit systems (don't have to be 64-bit native)
3.) widescreen resolutions
4.) must include an "easy install" option
5.) must support parental controls
6.) if it's intended to be played on Vista, it must place an icon in the Games Explorer
7.) metadata for the Games Explorer window, such as Publisher, Developer, Version, and ESRB rating

Again I'm sure there's more, but it doesn't sound like to much to ask for free access to the Games for Windows branding.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #7 of 16 Old 11-15-2006, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

I read this article too and kept bugging out at the picture of the Gears of War box on the store PC gaming shelf. I spent about 10 minutes on Google to see if it was coming out for PC ;p

Anyway, it's nice to see MS is not directing all of its gaming focus on the 360.

Good catch, I didn't notice that! Here's to hoping.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirknelson View Post

Not sure WHAT Ipods have to do do with gaming, but uhh wow, um are you drunk?

the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled... People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero , 55 BC
post #9 of 16 Old 11-16-2006, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

http://pc.ign.com/articles/746/746486p1.html

looks like ign noticed too

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #10 of 16 Old 11-19-2006, 06:08 PM

This is awesome news. You can see what mircosoft is doing.. basically forcing developers into making games for PC as easy to use as games for xbox. Easy install.. built in controller support ESRB stuff. HTPC friendly.

Basically - the way I read it - is Gates is making the PC a valid gaming machine. He knows there are people out there ... like me.. that simply won't buy a console becuase we are computer nerds, but want quality couch gaming experience with our HTPC's (the next big thing in case you didn't know.. lol). Solution.. make the PC as intuitive and easy to use (for gaming ) as any console... and make the developers do it for you.

I think its awesome. Basically I predict you are going to see any title that comes out for XBoX mirror on Windows Vista (ie. games for windows). We will reap the rewards of console developers (if that's your thing) plus have the flexibility to play real PC games (and not pay a monthly fee for online gaming!!) . Seeing it now with the new rainbow six and splinter cell.. games that are direct 360 ports.

The perfect world if you ask me. Couldn't be happier.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI, looks like Microsoft is launching Games for Windows Live on May 8th. This will give a basic Silver Live membership to those who don't currently have one, and will allow Gold Live subscribers to play games cross-platform (PC and Xbox 360). Good stuff:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/14/ga...vista-may-8th/

post #12 of 16 Old 03-14-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

"Cross-platform functionality" ??

Why the bleep would I want to pay to play some loud-mouth pimply-faced 16yo 360 user when I could be playing a loud-mouth 38yo virgin PC user? The $50 Gold service may suit some niche I fail to see but it's not for me. I'm sticking to All-Seeing-Eye + Xfire.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

WindsorTheater, I agree with what you said. I think Microsoft has a unique view in the sales of PCs (via XP and Vista licenses) vs 360 sales. I bet the majority are still resisting the 360, even for games. The PC is just too vast of a market to ignore for games.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

http://pc.ign.com/articles/746/746486p1.html

looks like ign noticed too

Wow those Gears of War shots are amazing. If Games for Windows has solid control schemes for the 360 Gampad and the like it could bring alot of people into PC gaming.

I get confused all the time as the PC is superior gfx wise, but the constant upgrading, expensive parts and for alot of games inferior control were all big drawbacks.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-18-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Supreme Commander is a "game for windows" game. Is it Windows Live capable ?
post #16 of 16 Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pestario View Post

Wow those Gears of War shots are amazing. If Games for Windows has solid control schemes for the 360 Gampad and the like it could bring alot of people into PC gaming.

I get confused all the time as the PC is superior gfx wise, but the constant upgrading, expensive parts and for alot of games inferior control were all big drawbacks.

i dont think that the pc's graphix would look the same unless the minimum requirements were the xbox 360's hardware. the major downfall of the pc is that as platform its extremely varied. in order to optimize profits, you have to code for the kid playin on his moms emachine w/ onboard video to the nerdy geeksquad employee with a 8800gtx in sli.

for some, like me, ill never really enjoy pc games as much as console games. til the day comes when i wont have to worry about over/underscan propblems amond other things, the pc will always be a distant 2nd.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page