No one playing PC games anymore? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 256
WOW this area is dead! no one playing pc games anymore? or just nothing really to talk about?

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what's that? sorry.....just got off my xbox

......but really, don't worry; crysis should bring things back, and who knows from there
post #3 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 PM

Lately there really hasn't been much in the way of new PC games. I agree that Crysis, as well as the expansion to WoW and a few others, will bring some buzz about PC gaming. The introduction of DX10 games will greatly improve the look and feel of PC gaming, and put it a huge step ahead of consoles for atleast the next couple years after.
post #4 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
When does Crysis come out?

Mike

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #5 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 08:09 PM

March or April 07
post #6 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

ehh there are sooo many pc games it's hard to talk about it here.

I could go on & on about Marvel Ultimate Alliance (I even made a site about it ). Same goes for mohaa or graw, but everyone has different tastes. It's more fun to talk about those games on forums that are specifically about them, where we can nitpick at every detail.

It's different for consoles because there are only a handful of "hot" games that everyone has and can talk about. When Crysis comes out everyone will want that then you'll see discussion pick up in this "general" PC gaming forum.

eidt- this looks pretty neat:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/737/737992/vids_1.html

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #7 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm still playing BF2 mostly. And Defcon.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #8 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Playing same old same old here, BF2 and BF2142. Really nothing new in FPS lately for PC. Done Prey, Fear, Doom, Quake and Oblivion etc..... Havent played a RTS in a long time so I just bought Company of Heroes. It I cant kill something in the game I dont play it....

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #9 of 62 Old 12-09-2006, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Not the best site in the world for videogames imo. This is a A/V site imo, I stroll in to take a peek but 2nd rate videogame forum and that isn't a slam, AVS wasn't about that.
post #10 of 62 Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya I just went out and got company of heros and I've realized how much I hate RTS games lol. "their guy is right beside you dumbass SHOOT HIM MAN!!!!!!!!! ) its much to frustrating to play when I can be tender of my own fate!
I though I read that crysis got pushed to Q3 of 07 but I'm not 100% sure. I'm waiting for quake wars and UT2007 as well as crysis they look like alot of fun!
Right now I'm basically only playing BF2142 and I threw back in pacific fighters but I'm really waiting for something new to feed my need for killing lol

post #11 of 62 Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Unless something earth shattering comes out for the PS I'm all but done with PC games.
In fact, if I could go back I would not have even bothered with a gaming rig.
post #12 of 62 Old 12-10-2006, 07:49 PM

I'm sure lots of new games are on the horizon. DX10 and vista aren't even out yet, nor alot of the hardware to support them. I pretty sure that game developers are holding off for all that to settle down to release the games. Kind of like when a new console comes out, the older consoles quit releasing games until the newer ones have come out.
post #13 of 62 Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya sometimes I almost regret spending all the money on my pc but then I look to whats coming out and how much time I spend on it and really it makes the justification worth while IMO

post #14 of 62 Old 12-11-2006, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've got networked gaming PCs, an xbox, and an xbox360. I would consider myself more of a PC gamer but I've spent alot of time lately on GOW because it plays more like a PC game (thank you EPIC). But I am also playing GRAW on the PC and have GTR2 waiting in the wings and will probably get RB6 Vegas on PC if they didn't muck it up.

The PC forum has always been less active. I've marveled at the stuff that they manage to find to talk about on the console forums. It feels like a younger crowd other there. Sort of like Special Ops versus enlisted.

Jim
post #15 of 62 Old 12-12-2006, 05:53 AM

I'm recovering from a few years of playing MMORPG's. I try to stay far, far away from my PC when I want a gaming fix.
post #16 of 62 Old 12-12-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell View Post

I'm recovering from a few years of playing MMORPG's. I try to stay far, far away from my PC when I want a gaming fix.

haha, did you see the editorial in this month's PC Gamer? The guy said he lost 40 pounds after quitting WoW. But now that the expansion is coming along he says it looks like he'll gain it all back again.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #17 of 62 Old 12-12-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I'm considering switching over to console gaming. I mean I've always had consoles, but I guess what I'm really doing is giving up on PC gaming. Its not that I don't enjoy it- its that its way too expensive. Besides that, the last PC game I played was Half-Life 2. There are games in the future that definitely interest me (Crysis being the main one), but quite a few other games that I'm interested in (such as Alan Wake) will be available on consoles too. I definitely love that the games can look much better on the PC, but I'm not quite so sure I can justify the expense anymore with how few PC games I actually play, and how few and far between the big releases are. I'd definitely miss mouse/keyboard FPS control, but with the amount of money I'd save, I think I could probably deal.

(To stress my point, my Wii and original Xbox, as well as my DS have been used many more times than my PC for gaming.)

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #18 of 62 Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 PM

Liked: 14
The "Games for Windows" kiosks should be going up soon in retail stores. I think DX10, Vista, and the new MS marketing campaign will reinvigorate the PC market. Game studios will be able to leverage their development costs over both the PC and 360. Also, MS Live will allow PC and console gamers to play each other. Should be interesting....

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #19 of 62 Old 12-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

haha, did you see the editorial in this month's PC Gamer? The guy said he lost 40 pounds after quitting WoW. But now that the expansion is coming along he says it looks like he'll gain it all back again.

People with no self-control make me sad.

Official Vandersteen Whore.

Proud father of the cutest two kids you'll ever see. Honest.
post #20 of 62 Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post

The "Games for Windows" kiosks should be going up soon in retail stores. I think DX10, Vista, and the new MS marketing campaign will reinvigorate the PC market. Game studios will be able to leverage their development costs over both the PC and 360. Also, MS Live will allow PC and console gamers to play each other. Should be interesting....

Keyboard and Mouse VS. Controller

Well I was getting better
post #21 of 62 Old 12-12-2006, 08:17 PM

I came across this thread and it made me think "wow, I really don't play PC games anymore". I started to think why this has become the case and I came up with a few reasons. Let me just say that when Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and Battlefield 1942 (and Desert Combat) were in their prime, I rarely played games on my xbox that weren't sports. In fact, I remember playing MOHAA online until the sun came up a number of times. Those games were great. They had their drawbacks too. The cheating was a big one for me. It became so rampant that I would no longer try to find games without cheaters, I would just deal with it as part of the game. Some of the cheating was not "modding" but just buggy software. People would constantly be able to get underneath maps or shoot through walls or take advantage of other glitches to ruin the game. The constant patch updates also became annoying. That's not to say that this kind of behavior does not exist on consoles, but it is so much less prevalent. While it's not cheating, the other thing about PC gaming that creates an unbalanced playing field is the fact that not everyone is playing on the same platform. One system may be able to play a game with all of the graphics turned up, presenting the maximum amount of visual cues while another system would be so choppy as to be almost unplayable. That leads to the fact that in order to keep up with the latest games, an investment of roughly $3000 would be needed to purchase a decent gaming system and as my computer aged, I began to question whether that was worth it or not when the alternative was $2500 less expensive.
Other issues I had with PC games were that they were just to complicated and frustrating at times. Things like not being able to voice chat with your team mates without awkward add on programs like Roger Wilco took some of the fun out of team play. Not being able to join friends easily in Battlefield became a huge drawback. Having to change DMZ and other network settings on routers and firewalls almost made hosting games more complicated then the hassle was worth. Of course, theres always the windows operating system that all of these games work through that would inevitably freeze up at the worst possible times. Also, I'd grow grey hair by the time my pc loaded, then the game loaded, and then that map loaded.
I'm sure some of these problems have since been made easier but with consoles, the convenience is just too appealing, and on the Xbox 360 Live, joining, hosting and meeting with friends is made simple and efficient. Do the latest PC games look better then the latest console games? Maybe. How much do you have to spend to own a PC to run those games at the resolution and with all the goodies turned up to match the consoles? Do I miss the keyboard and mouse playing FPS games. I'm not going to lie, hell yeah I do but you know what? You get used to the controller and at least I know that no one is binding keys to strafe and lean and run at the same time
I'd sure miss those good old Medal of Honor days a lot more if I didn't spend all my time playing Gears of War till the sun comes up.
post #22 of 62 Old 12-15-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Probably a few things that have been mentioned.

1) This is a HUGE release time for consoles and there is massive hype all over it.

2) PC gaming has dwindled a bit and the expense can be high if you want to make sure you always have eye candy in the latest title.

3) Vista and DX10 is yet on the horizon and needs to get established. This is a PC lull compared to a Console tsunami (i.e. possibly the most exciting period we will see in a 5-10 year period).

4) This is an AV forum or home theater - PC gaming with mouse and KB can be awkward. The television and 10' interface is the realm of the console

5) Not a great gaming forum. The draw for me used to be maturity here and getting an opinion from a man/woman rather than a 10 year old boy. Now that "Home Theater" and HD are all the rage and anyone who purchases a LCD or DLP based display and owns a console is now a home theater gamer posting here - it has degenerated to some degree (hence the tougher moderation and the split into 5 subforums when there used to be 1 big one).

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #23 of 62 Old 12-15-2006, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Read the last page of the new Games For Windows mag and you'll have your answer in a nutshell. Pc companies have gotten lazy and sloppy release games that have no business being put out yet. Patches on day of release are far to common and often never even solve the problems or just create new ones.

How many pc games in the last 4 months were nothing but 360 ports and bad last gen dumbed down ports at that...sure given time vista, games for windows and the killer pc games will come. But how many of us will still care at that point. The sky isn't falling it just looks like its about to rain is all.

I do like that games now have to be widescreen and 360 controller able to be labeled on the game for windows platform but its just not the pcs time lately really.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #24 of 62 Old 12-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

I have recently whooped a few pc games

titans quest
Darkstar one
neverwinter nights 2
gothic 3
bf2142
a little wow here and there

a few trends i dont like in pc gaming
retread RTS and shooters
crap mmo's from korean

Ill be honest I think I like Bioware/BIS type games the best - ill likely follow them to the 360 and ignore the PC except for 2142/wow.

For some reason i cant get into GoW on the 360 - i need to try again

I think im gonna play Xenosaga 3 on ps2 next...and i put a wii under my christmas tree cause my wife might get me shirts if i dont =)

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

post #25 of 62 Old 12-25-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Its all about money -

The best game developers are not making PC games. That's just the truth. There's no money in PC games. As was mentioned by others, PC developers always seem to focus on visuals and not actual game play, something that has always been a target of gamers when you compare the PS's intial focus on 3D games over 2D and Nintendo's stance on gameplay over graphics.

Just like the Wii is not the graphical powerhouse the PS3 is, they tout gameplay over graphics to go with the lower MSRP. I still think its a mistake by Nintendo as more and more people drop coin on LCD and Plasma TV's, your just not going to have many core game players with CTR's anymore.

So basically Nintendo set themselves up to be a very DISTANCE 3rd in the console wars. PC's problem has been pushing the visual window to try and keep pace with consoles improved graphical power. What they forgot is that, alot of people aren't willing to upgrade their hardware for the latest releases.

In 2 PC's owned, I have purchased just 2 video cards -

ATI AIW Rage
ATI AIW 9600XT

As you can see my focus as been on other accepts of these cards, but I didn't want to not be able to play any games, so I spent more than the average game player does on hardware.

I just refuse to spend $400 for a card to play games on, when the PC libuary is seriously LIMITED in terms of games I would actually buy and play.

I have played more MAME and other emulators on my PC than actual PC game releases.

I wanted to play GTR when it came out, but when I saw you needed top grade hardware just to run the game at a decent level, I decided to skip it. Pro Race Driver plays smoothly on here, but I fear TOCA 2 wouldn't fair as well and I didn't buy it.

It just seems silly to me to have to buy hardware every 2-3 years when the average console lifespan is 5-10 years.

Somebody should post screen images from NFS: Carbon on the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC with any PC card you can think of and the graphical difference is MINIMAL at best and both games run SMOOTHLY at 60fps with room to spare.

So talking 2nd gen 360 games compared to 1st gen PS3 games with version 4 releases of Nvida or ATI graphics (PS3 graphic chip is Nvidia, 360 chip is ATI/AMD) drivers. Sure PC's when enabled can have a few more levels of detail, but they hardly ADD to gameplay.

PC's for the momement will still be the platform of choice for point & click games and other games that don't need a joystick or wheel to play.

Even budget gaming rigs are pricey, even compared to what some people are paying for PS3. You can't argue you'll get more out of a PC, because your already typing on one, which means you have one already. If you coming from a Pent3/AMD K6-2 machine, then that argument would be valid...

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #26 of 62 Old 12-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I havent played a single pc game since xbox 360 came out. ps3/wii also makes it less comfortable to sit in front of a monitor and play with keyboard/mouse. I wish sometime in the future pc gaming will be as easy to get a game going as it is with these systems. I am glad that microsoft is making that wireless adapter for the pads and headset. Now if they can just get a standarized output like hdtv for those of us playing on plasmas/lcds etc, and easy launch software.
Mo!
post #27 of 62 Old 01-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

I feel the same as most here. I use to be all about PC gaming and the only thing I liked on console was Final Fantasy and GT but it's just takes too much $$$ to keep up these days. When I don't meet the specs to run the game, it's really annoying to play the game on low settings. Yeah it's about gameplay but I want the enjoy the eye candy also.

Live/PS3: NovembersChopin
post #28 of 62 Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Too much PC gaming for me. World of Warcraft has had me sucked in since June leaving my XB360 collecting dust.

Even Gears of War (which I did buy) cannot drag me away..........
post #29 of 62 Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm waiting for Crysis!
post #30 of 62 Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Warcraft 3 is still my game of choice - I play it every day, though not too much ladder anymore. (I play DOTA for the most part. SO much fun and so addictive)

I used to be a hardcare PC gamer, started from the beginning with the EGA Sierra games, but really, there have been so few really good games out for PC in the last couple of years. I loved oblivion, and I'm playing Neverwinter Nights 2 now which is pretty fun... but I don't like the counterstrike clones, or the mundane war-simulation games.

I just got my Wii a couple days ago, and it is loads of fun. So until more ORIGINAL games come out for PC, it will probably just collect dust. (except for warcraft 3, which is in a separate category for me)

(that category is "addictions" in case you are wondering)
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page