Buying New Gaming System - Please Advise on Spec - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Time to upgrade! I'm a bit out of the loop on what is hot and is not. So am hoping you guys can help. After a bit of reading on Tom's Hardware I'm thinking the below is a good setup.

Intel Core2 Duo e6700 2.67ghz - ~$550

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 Nvidia nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Mobo - ~$250.00

EVGA GeForge 8800 GTX - ~$600

Silverstone TJ09 Case - ~$300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163075

Finally I'm not sure about power supply or memory. Any ideas? Definitely want a reliable and quiet power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM

I have always good luck with Antec power supplies, but they are not always quiet. I believe its Lian Li that makes a case that has sound dampening for the power supply and the whole machine. Might check it out.

- jrod
/"don't mess with a man with a way-back machine, Dave."
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
If you ever plan to run SLI 8800GTX go for 850-1000w PSU. You will need it. Take a look at the Enermax Galaxy series or the new OCZ 1kw PSU. If you have deap pockets the PC Power and cooling is one of the top rated 1kw PSU but they are not cheap. The OCZ looks intresting in that its not an extra long PSU like the other 1kw units so it will fit in most standard size mid tower cases. The PC P and Coolig and Emermax Galaxy are long PSU and may not fit in some mid towers (front to back depth is the issue not height). The OCZ should be out in the next couple of months. Since the OCZ 1kw PSU is a GamerXStream series it looks liked it might be OEM'd from Fortron (FSP) manufacturer, so you can prob get it a little cheaper from Fortron when its released.

The rest of your spec system looks go. Just rem to get min 2bg of mem , no slower then DDR2-800 (PC6400) and you will be fine. Also think about an after market CPU cooler if you plan on any OC'ing. Take a look at the Thermalright ULTRA 120 or the Si-128. Great CPU coolers since you can select the type of 120mm fan you want to use, Slow and quiet or fast and loud ( you can also add a fan controller to set the volume of air vs noise ratio).

EDIT: BTW you dont really need 8800GTX SLI for any current/near coming games unless you are planning to run a 2560x1600 (Dell, HP and Apple 30") monitor at its native rez. Even if you dont do SLI get at least a good 600-700w (OCZ, Enermax or even Corsair) PSU for the 8800GTX.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks very much for the sound advice. Much appreciated.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Personally I wouldn't touch a ocz psu with a 10 foot pole but each to his own. As stated enermax would be great as well as antec, silverstone, pc power and seasonic are all good too.
I'd get a aftermarket cooler as stated, but if your not gonna oc then ddr2 800 is a waste of money IMO. Other than that good cpu, gpu card and mobo.
That case is pretty pricey but if you like it thats all that matters.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
I used 3 of the OCZ GamerXstream 700w PSU in the last three gaming rig builds and no probms. I am also using one powering my personal 8800GTX C2D system. They are basically Fortron FSP Epsilon FX700-GLN with slightly diff cosmetics. Seasonics are good also but more pricey for a 700w compared to other makes. If I had a choice I would use PC Power and Cooling, but most dont want to pay the price of admission (too costly for even me) esp when other PSU work just fine. This is for gaming rigs. For HTPC's I been using the Enermax Liberty series of modular PSU. Less cable clutter. The Liberty 620w is very stable. Over all the Enermax line has always been the most reliable PSU's that I used. Would like to test the Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W (OEM'd by Seasonic) sometime maybe as an (cheaper ?) alternative to the Liberty. Looks like a decent modular PSU. The one company I never had luck with for PSU has been Thermaltake. Their early units where just cr@p. The Toughpower units look intresting but tested and return two 750w Toughpower units that just didnt run stable with a SLI setup using 7900GTX's.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up going with the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610. (~$160)

I'm hoping that is good enough power. I figured if I ever went SLI with the 8800 then I could upgrade the power supply then.

I was surprised to see that the mobo supports SATA. I thought Serial ATA was the latest thing. But SATA is something newer and faster? Pretty cool it's amazing the performance of desktop stuff these days. Has more performance than server stuff sometimes!

I was also amazed that each WD 250gb SATA drive w/16mb cache was just $75!

Wow.

The case was expensive but got a good review from Tom's Hardware and it's so hard to pick a case online that I thought I'd just get something that is safe.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

S(erial) ATA = SATA

post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Oh you know what... I confused SAS with SATA.

I got confused because on Newegg it had these categories:

IDE Ultra ATA100(17)
SATA 3.0Gb/s(23)
Serial ATA150(10)

And I guess I just thought they were two different standards... but I see probably it's same standard just faster speed.

I knew SAS was a new standard, but could not remember the acronym exactly so mis-took SATA for it.
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page