Vista is starting to be a nightmare - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upgrading to Vista. First thing is the packaging. I would love to know who the insane maniac is that designed the box.
Next thing is during the install the computer gave me a message to remove incompatible software so I did. When I rent to reinstall it asked me for all of the info all over again, keys and all of that.
Then when I went to install again the software says that it cannot access the installation info?
WTF?
What a mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
That's why it's never a good idea to upgrade an OS, it's always best to do a clean install.
post #3 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The mere fact that you are posting that you are moving to Vista on launch day kinda makes your sanity suspect.

"Do you want worse performance in all your existing games and applications?" Check.
"Do you want your system to be burdened with an OS that requires 1gig of ram and a fast, fast processor to run smoothly?" Check.
"Do you want to deal with all the hassles of all the little problems people are going to find over the next few months, with applications requiring "Vista Patches" to fix anomalies?"...Check.

Vista Bad until DX10 becomes a requirement for games..then you go in...kicking and screaming.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #4 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

I played with an "acquired" version of Vista a month or so back. Definitely noticed a drop in frame rates in games, etc. Normal tasks like Office and internet browsing seemed about the same. The only thing that Vista offered was some nifty GUI stuff when switching between programs and some neat 3D games (like Chess). Not worth the price at this point.

I'm back on XP.
post #5 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I like to play around with stuff but I don't have a free computer I mind foobaring. I am tempted though since my desktop's system drive seems to be suffering an issue (chckdisc stalls at 19% and when I move or do anything with a certain file it blue screens - likely need a new HD and I'll just put back on the image I keep just for this purpose). That said, I don't want to be the guinea pig or deal with crap.

But everything you've heard is correct, an upgrade is not a good way to do a new install for the OS. Initial launch runs a high risk of performance suffering and just general time drain.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #6 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

The mere fact that you are posting that you are moving to Vista on launch day kinda makes your sanity suspect.

"Do you want worse performance in all your existing games and applications?" Check.
"Do you want your system to be burdened with an OS that requires 1gig of ram and a fast, fast processor to run smoothly?" Check.
"Do you want to deal with all the hassles of all the little problems people are going to find over the next few months, with applications requiring "Vista Patches" to fix anomalies?"...Check.

Vista Bad until DX10 becomes a requirement for games..then you go in...kicking and screaming.

1. On this particular PC I have to do an upgrade for work purposes
2. The computer had a couple of prior problems I was hoping would be fixed as have happened with other Windows installs I have done. These problems are probably being brought to light with the install today.

I'm not looking to install all of my Pc's with Vista, just one. And by default I am a Mac user which does not ever give me these types of issues. I questioned my sanity long ago and the Jury is still out however my decision to use Macs reinforces my sanity. Although it brings into question whether or not I am a stuck up a-hole.

As far as Vista for games since I have the newest consoles I don't game as much on my PC as I used to. As far as the requirements go, the PC I am upgrading can handle it no prob. I have a huge HDD, 2 gigs of Ram, and a fast processor so it's no issue.
post #7 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I may do a clean install ChrisFB but right now, as you have done, I am running Chck disc. There are a lot of errors so I am hoping I don't have HDD issues. It's going through the process now and so far it is on stage 5 and I'm crossing my fingers.
Once it's done I may back up a few files to a CD and then proceed with a clean install although I bought the upgrade disc which means I have to have an original XP disc, which i do.
post #8 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The entire concept of Windows as an upgrade scares the bejeebus out of me. I did it once going from 95 to 98, and that was ok But going from 98 to 2000 was a nightmare, lots of network applications weren't installed (and couldn't be).

I loved 2000.....I accept XP because it was required for a couple of my software apps to run....but I wont move to Vista unless there is a real need for me to do so.

Microsoft knows there aren't alot of places for OS's to go (that dont begin to get them into AntiTrust cases anymore).....what I dont like is that the "enhancements" to the OS dont seem to buy me much, but all of a sudden the memory requirements and processor loads have doubled? Meh....

I love the funcationality of Windows, but in all honesty its the same functionality thats been there since Windows for Workgroups 3.14

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #9 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well right now my big problem is this:

Windows Installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation. Error code: 0XC0000005
post #10 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

vista will be like xp soon enough. People will hate it at first then say it's the best MS operating system ever.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #11 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now I'm doing the clean install. Seems to be going better. We'll see.
post #12 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Vista is running but I have no sound, lol.
post #13 of 40 Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, apparently Sound blaster is not supported because no current Vista drivers exist so you are a bit on your own. I went to the creative labs site and got a Beta vista driver. I have sound now.
As far as vista is concerned it's very slick. It is somewhat more like OSX but slicker in it's presentation.
All of the windows are reorganized which will take some getting used to. I can't tell right now if it's for the better or not but it seems to have more functionality in doing things to guide you along in certain areas.
The direct support chat is a nice touch but dealing with people in new dehli that don't know what they are doing is not.
post #14 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

vista will be like xp soon enough. People will hate it at first then say it's the best MS operating system ever.

I don't know about other people, but i sure as heck never said it..at best i'll say it's better than win98 (i upgraded from 98 because i was tired of the crashing)

As for vista itself, i'm not going to it until i have absolutely no choice, if it even becomes an issue to me. After hearing about all the stuff related to it, it sounds as if the big m$ is going to the licensing of the corporate world (witch i'm sure more than a few IT guys have a few choice words about) The 'clean install' idea and the new setup of requiring the previous version of windows to be installed (rather than cd check) for the upgrade version sounds like a major headache (i'm gonna do a clean re-install of xp someday, i swear! ..I just hate the hassle involved )
post #15 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatecrime69 View Post

The 'clean install' idea and the new setup of requiring the previous version of windows to be installed (rather than cd check) for the upgrade version sounds like a major headache (i'm gonna do a clean re-install of xp someday, i swear! ..I just hate the hassle involved )

Are you serious. To use the upgrade you have to have XP installed not just a CD Check? Rediculous. Can anyone confirm this?

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #16 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post

Are you serious. To use the upgrade you have to have XP installed not just a CD Check? Rediculous. Can anyone confirm this?

hmmm check this out:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/micr...2007/1/31/6828

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #17 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I built a new box from scratch and the install when smooth with no problems. So far I Installed Fear and see no loss in frames at all that would hurt gameplay. But then again I am running GTX 8800.
post #18 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I chose to do a clean install and it did not ask me for anything. I am using Vista Premium upgrade. It never asked me for an XP disc or anything else.
The first thing the software does is check for updates so these issues may have been fixed.
Doing a clean install was very easy but the problem I ran into was missing my sound card drivers.
I simply went to Creative Labs website and downloaded a 'beta' cista driver and I was in business. I would have loved to just do the upgrade but that's the way it goes. My HDD failed on this computer a while back and I had to replace it so there was nothing of real value there. For me, the bigger pain is reinstalling software.
At least now Vista has a pretty easy back up system.

I will say the average person should definitely wait. there is a lot of software that will be incompatible. For me this was Quickbooks which everything before 07 is not compatible but there is a Windows XP mode in vista you can use. Luckily I bought Quickbooks towards the end of the year so i was entitled to get 2007 which I am downloading now.

I have exactly 3 programs that I have to use Windows for. When those are available on Mac I may say goodbye to the PC forever but I will say this Vista is very slick and from the presentation it 'looks' more advanced than what Mac has now.

And a little word on the 'aero 3d' thing. It's not all that exciting. It basically just lines up your open windows diagonally in 3D space so you can view them better. What I like more is that you can run your mouse over windows that are minimized on the toolbar and it shows you a miniature version of what is in that window.
post #19 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here;s an interesting article from a Mac User who switched to a Vista PC with good things to say...and a surprise ending.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873608/
post #20 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 01:20 PM

I have been running Vista Ultimate on a complete new build for about 3 weeks now and besides some problems finding the correct drivers for some apps everything went smooth. I have now found most of the drivers since the release date and still smooth sailing. My system is blazing fast and I am happy so far! Even with multiple apps open while playing h264 HD files my CPU says around 40% .

E6600 CPU
XFX 7950GT
Asus P5W DH Mobo
2GB DDR2
10,000rpm Raptor drive for OS
post #21 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So far so good for me, everything is really running smooth. Vista is pretty sleek.
post #22 of 40 Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton View Post

Here;s an interesting article from a Mac User who switched to a Vista PC with good things to say...and a surprise ending.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16873608/

I'm definitely not anti-MS but notice where that article is coming from.

post #23 of 40 Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor before upgrading to Vista. It'll tell you what programs to uninstall and what drivers you may need to download by yourself.
post #24 of 40 Old 02-02-2007, 05:26 PM

I'm not too happy with the way it is looking for my X-Fi elite pro sound card I bought a year ago. Seems it will never be fully supported in vista and that creative labs will only offer basic functionality drivers for vista.
post #25 of 40 Old 02-02-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Add me to that list. ...but you knew that already, right?

Other than having a buy a new $50 wireless card because my ancient one wasn't supported, I didn't really have much problems. My experience is in line with Doctor Krypton's.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 40 Old 02-04-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dual boot is your friend hehe. I'm giving it another go with vista least I have sound. But I'll try to find it but I read somewhere had benchmarks for games in vista....NOT GOOD. Performance down by a LOT at times .

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #27 of 40 Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Ive got Vista Home Premium and love it, Im actually getting better game preformance for me in Oblivion, Hlaf Life 2, Lost Coast, Prey, etc.

Im using an ATI x1950 Pro for what its worth
post #28 of 40 Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Dual boot is your friend hehe. I'm giving it another go with vista least I have sound. But I'll try to find it but I read somewhere had benchmarks for games in vista....NOT GOOD. Performance down by a LOT at times .

Here are a few reviews. Most find that XP is slightly faster most likely due to more mature drivers. The reviews you speak of were likely using Vista RC1 with the shotty NVIDIA drivers.

Vista vs. XP
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

Vista x64 vs Vista x86 vs XP
http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917

Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH
Paradigm Cinema 330
Paradigm ADP-190
Paradigm DSP-3100
Xbox360
PS3
Harmony One Remote
post #29 of 40 Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Well I have a nely built PC and upgraded from XP to Vista Ultimate with no hitches. A couple drivers aren't 100% but neither were XP drivers for the most part.

Now I went with the 64-bit version and would probably suggest to most that they stick to the 32-bit for gaming. Most current games work perfectly on 64-bit (except Gothic 3) but many older games will not install.

Vista is a great upgrade but not really needed for gaming at the moment. I do like the Games folder, but that hardly justifies the investment.
post #30 of 40 Old 02-11-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, as was said earlier....same old cryin' about the new OS, just like XP.
Look how good XP got!
I went XP right away and was never sorry for it.
LL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page