RPG Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a new gaming/htpc (C2D/8800gts) on the way this week and looking to jump into a new RPG game. I have already played Oblivion on the 360 so the obvious choice is out of the question. I would prefer to avoid MMO's as I want something I can just play casually, however would still like a pretty "deep" experience.

Some games that caught my eye are Neverwinter Nights 2, Titan Quest and Guild Wars. Guild Wars honestly looks like the most fun, but then the MMO concern arises. Any thoughts on these or games I may have missed?

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Get Titan Quest plus the expansion pack; Immortal Throne.

If you like Diablo series; this is it with a better graphic plus other enhancements.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Liked: 10
Dark Messiah (Might and Magic). It is based on the HL2 engine. I got them free with my eVGA 8800 cards. Its a system torture test when everything is max'd running at 2650x1600, you 'll need SLI/Crossfire at that rez. Basiclly an Oblivion clone using the HL2 engine from Valve.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Dark Messiah (Might and Magic). It is based on the HL2 engine. I got them free with my eVGA 8800 cards. Its a system torture test when everything is max'd running at 2650x1600, you 'll need SLI/Crossfire at that rez. Basiclly an Oblivion clone using the HL2 engine from Valve.

Didn't realize that. I bought an eVGA as well so I am assuming this title will be included. Definitely looks pretty but the reviews aren't exactly stellar. I guess for free it's worth a try. :P

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

NWN2, especially if you're an old PNP vet from the old days of rolling the dice, play acting every sentient creature in front of others, and getting excited when you roll "double damage - instant death"!

Make sure you upgrade to the latest patch, which corrects some notorious bugs. The player community is starting to create persistent worlds right now, but there's a collection of modules that are ready for you to download and play after the original campaign ("OC").

If the original NWN1 is any indication, this will be around for a while, with plenty of AI tweaks, mods, modules, and other misc stuff to come - courtesy of the gaming community.

You're limited to 4 NPCs in the first third of the OC, and 3 in the remainder of the campaign, but this can be overwritten through "DebugMode 1" - then you can add up to six NPCs for nice melee screenshots.

The D&D rules are so in-depth (v3.5), and cover all sorts of physics - magic included.

I used to think I was a hardcore D&Der, but after reading a few threads at the Bioware site, I'm just an average schmuck D&Der!

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Neverwinter Nights is the ultimate torture test. It seems to have been horribly programmed.

Gothic 3 is also a good choice, though it is extremely glitchy on many systems.

I liked Dark Messiah, but plenty of people hated it.

Titan Quest is beautiful graphically, and fun to play.

Dungeon Siege 2 wasn't so bad...also a Diabloesque game.

If you haven't played Morrowind I'd go that for depth.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2007, 06:24 PM

I just recently started playing Vampire: Bloodlines again. I cannot say enough about this game. Not only is it an rpg, but it's got elements of just about every genre in it, I just realized how bad ass the fps is in it. Lots of fun and very scary quests in it. I jumped out of my seat litterally a bunch of times. Pretty original if you ask me.

Although not rpg, Theif, deadly shadows is another great game. Stealthy fp, nor really a shooter, but from first person.

Dark Messiah: got bad reviews cuz they released the game with horrible bugs. Most of the bugs have been worked out but if you don't have a good system stay away. Gameplay in it is awesome though.

Oblivion: Great game, awesome graphics. But it's not one for those who don't have alot of time. It's basically an mmo but it's not online, lol. Also very hard on the system.

If you want a fun fps shooter though and like horror stories, Clive Barkers Undying is really good. Came out like four or five years ago and still looks pretty good. I highly recommend it.

Arx Fatalis was pretty cool. Although buggy (same deveopers as Dark Messiah) Great story, original gameplay. It's a rpg from a fp view. Came out in like 2003. Graphics are outdated now but still good enough to play today.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 PM

Baldur's Gate
post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I thought NWN2 was pathetic in just about every aspect. Too much time just trying to see things vs actually doing things. I will second Dark Messiah. I really enjoyed that one.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I recommend anything and everything from Bioware. If you like the sci-fi type of RPG's check out the Knight's of the Old Republic series. Both kicked major rear IMO. Jade Empire just came out for PC and if you haven't played it for XBox I would highly recommend.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page