post #91 of 244 Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Does anyone know how much of a difference this 92% color gamut rating actually makes? I'll mainly be playing games on my PC, but I'm also starting to get into photography, so I'll cancel my current order and spend the extra $80 for the HC version if it'll look profoundly better.

Thoughts?

For games it won't make a difference, but for photography and video editing, especially color correction, I would consider it. You'll probably be fine with the non-HC version, I doubt the HC will be "profoundly" better... just somewhat more accurate.

It's interesting to note that, in order to get the colors more accurate, the LCD backlighting method is different, resulting in a somewhat dimmer display. From what I hear, the non-HC of the 2407 can be retina scorching... so I'm sure there's plenty of room to get dimmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 244 Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

For games it won't make a difference, but for photography and video editing, especially for color correction, I would consider it. You'll probably be fine with the non-HC version, I doubt the HC will be "profoundly" better... just somewhat more accurate.

It's interesting to note that, in order to get the colors more accurate, the LCD backlighting method is different, resulting in a somewhat dimmer display. From what I hear, the non-HC of the 2407 can be retina scorching... so I'm sure there's plenty of room to get dimmer.

I read a few reviews and it seems like the HC model does have better color reproduction, so I cancelled my existing order for the regular 24" model. I don't need the monitor right now anyway (Will be putting together a new Vista rig by end of the year), so I'll hold off buying anything for the time being. I'll be very curious to hear your impressions of the HC model though, so please do update this thread when you've had a chance to play around with this monitor!
post #93 of 244 Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

yeah thats gonna look sharp in a size that small............but its cool because optimal seating on a 24" display is like 12-14" I believe so I think you are right in the SMTPE zone with that one!!!!

So what is the optimum seating for a 27 or 30 inch monitor. I saw a 24 inch at a Dell Kiosk and damn I was overwhelmed, maybe because I've been using a 17" monitor for the past 2+ years

Nate
post #94 of 244 Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick374 View Post

So what is the optimum seating for a 27 or 30 inch monitor. I saw a 24 inch at a Dell Kiosk and damn I was overwhelmed, maybe because I've been using a 17" monitor for the past 2+ years

Rusch was refering to the "viewing angle", which is how the width the screen appears based on a formula of size and distance. More info can be found here.
post #95 of 244 Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

I don't need the monitor right now anyway (Will be putting together a new Vista rig by end of the year), so I'll hold off buying anything for the time being. I'll be very curious to hear your impressions of the HC model though, so please do update this thread when you've had a chance to play around with this monitor!

Will do.

I ordered on July 2nd and Dell estimated it shipping on the 13th. It actually shipped on the 5th with a delivery estimate of the 9th according to DHL and the 10th-12th according to Dell. So it looks like Dell really underestimates processing time, which is good.

One of the first things I'll probably do with the 2407wfp-hc when it comes in is hook it up to the MacPro side-by-side with the ACD and calibrate it. It will be interesting to compare white purity and black contrast level. Who knows, if the Dell monitor compares favorably, the Dell might stay on the Mac and the Apple monitor might migrate to the PC? That would be a crazy, mixed up world!
post #96 of 244 Old 07-10-2007, 02:59 PM

I'm trying to decide on a good size. Right now I have a 17" monitor that I've been using for years.. I'm looking to upgrade... I saw a dell 20" monitor this past weekend and I was wowed

Now I'm looking at even bigger. A DELL 24, 27 or 30 Inch monitor. It will be using for Gaming/internet use primarily, Maybe TV if I get a TV tuner.

First question, is it possible to due PIP with a tv tunder and one of the monitors listed above?

What I would really like to do is have my computer desktop in the main screen and a TV screen in the lower corner or something of the sort.

Next Question is a 27 or 30 too big for computer gaming It will be on a regulard computer desk, so nothing special there.

Thank you
Nate
post #97 of 244 Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to decide on a good size. Right now I have a 17" monitor that I've been using for years.. I'm looking to upgrade... I saw a dell 20" monitor this past weekend and I was wowed

Now I'm looking at even bigger. A DELL 24, 27 or 30 Inch monitor. It will be using for Gaming/internet use primarily, Maybe TV if I get a TV tuner.

First question, is it possible to due PIP with a tv tunder and one of the monitors listed above?

What I would really like to do is have my computer desktop in the main screen and a TV screen in the lower corner or something of the sort.

Next Question is a 27 or 30 too big for computer gaming It will be on a regulard computer desk, so nothing special there.

Thank you
Nate

Get a 42 inch westinghouse like myself. I had a 19 inch and was looking at getting a bigger monitor/tv, and i dont regret getting my 42 inch for the price of the 30 inch dell, and the westinghouse was cheaper. All i can say is, go to best buy and purchase it. If you don't like it, return it in the 30 days. Once you go big, you'll never go back.

I mostly play games and don't notice a difference at all in games from my 19 to the 42, and i don't even config my monitors when i get them =/. I'm just that mentally colored challenge

Also mine is about 3 feet or even closer from my face and its just huge. All games look amazing, especially first person shooters where it seems like your there lol.
post #98 of 244 Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph4469 View Post

Get a 42 inch westinghouse like myself. I had a 19 inch and was looking at getting a bigger monitor/tv, and i dont regret getting my 42 inch for the price of the 30 inch dell, and the westinghouse was cheaper. All i can say is, go to best buy and purchase it. If you don't like it, return it in the 30 days. Once you go big, you'll never go back.

I mostly play games and don't notice a difference at all in games from my 19 to the 42, and i don't even config my monitors when i get them =/. I'm just that mentally colored challenge

Also mine is about 3 feet or even closer from my face and its just huge. All games look amazing, especially first person shooters where it seems like your there lol.

wow 3 feet or closer on a 42 inch? are you blind? how do you scan from one side to the other screen at 3 ft, especially when playing games?
post #99 of 244 Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:

wow 3 feet or closer on a 42 inch? are you blind? how do you scan from one side to the other screen at 3 ft, especially when playing games?

Just like real life, move your head haha. But i'm going to be hanging my lcd up on a mount so its gonna be 4 or 5 feet away when im finished. It's just the only temporary place i can put it on my desk and boy its great.
post #100 of 244 Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I got the Dell 2407WFP-HC monitor today and...

...it's BE-YOU-TI-FUL!!!!!

Boy, at default setting I didn't know LCDs could have such deep blacks. The colors are rich, the whites are pure... I really really like this monitor.

I haven't calibrated it, gamed or anything yet -- but initial impressions from checking photos & surfing, it looks really really good.

I'll mess around some more and update this thread, but for now I give a big thanks to those that steered me in the direction of the 24" Dell. You guys were right.
post #101 of 244 Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night I hooked up the Dell to the MacPro side-by-side with the Apple Cinema Display, calibrated the two using Apple's calibration in advanced mode and checked some things out. However, I didn't notice 'till just now that in the 2407's menu there's a "PC mode" and "Mac mode", so all my testings last night are moot. Based on those faulty comparisons, the ACD is cooler and the Dell is warmer, but that might be the "PC mode" on a Mac error, so don't take that to heart.

But man, this display is bright in default! Both brightness and contrast default at 50 on a scale of 1 to 99, and I had to knock down the brightness to 25 to avoid eyestrain!

I played some UT2k4, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Titan Quest and Peggle ( ). All looked great on the Dell - so far no ghosting or other flaws that I've seen yet.

More to come.
post #102 of 244 Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Last night I hooked up the Dell to the MacPro side-by-side with the Apple Cinema Display, calibrated the two using Apple's calibration in advanced mode and checked some things out. However, I didn't notice 'till just now that in the 2407's menu there's a "PC mode" and "Mac mode", so all my testings last night are moot. Based on those faulty comparisons, the ACD is cooler and the Dell is warmer, but that might be the "PC mode" on a Mac error, so don't take that to heart.

But man, this display is bright in default! Both brightness and contrast default at 50 on a scale of 1 to 99, and I had to knock down the brightness to 25 to avoid eyestrain!

I played some UT2k4, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Titan Quest and Peggle ( ). All looked great on the Dell - so far no ghosting or other flaws that I've seen yet.

More to come.

I fear my credit card will feel the burden of this monitors price upon it in the near future. Keep the comments coming.......
post #103 of 244 Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm planning on a system upgrade in the next few weeks after the much talked about Intel price cuts and really plan on looking hard at the 2407HC. I've got a AAA 6% off coupon for Dell so it would be nice to see a little sale and use the coupon but if not I'll take the 6% when I'm ready to order.

Thanks for your review and keep us updated.

Jim
post #104 of 244 Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

it would be nice to see a little sale and use the coupon but if not I'll take the 6% when I'm ready to order.

You just missed the non-HC model was $60 off last week. :-/

I looked some more in the menus, and there's not a lot in there, but a few interesting items stood out. I mentioned it has both Mac and PC settings, but each setting has a "normal", "blue" and "red" category, which I translate the last two into "cool" and "warm".

A couple other things... I'm using DVI-D from my nVidia card, but there's also composite, s-video, component and of course VGA inputs. It will do Picture in Picture and Picture by Picture with either DVI or VGA as the main source and one of the other 3 as the secondary source. I haven't found any re-size or positioning for the PiP yet... maybe I should crack the manual?

Lastly, I messed with the "Wide Mode" setting. I could only get into this mode if I told my nVidia card not to scale. The mode changes the scaling, which is the way the monitor displays if you sent a signal that's lower than the 1920x1200 native. The 3 settings are 1:1, Aspect and Fill:
-The first mode "1:1" made the image only fill a smaller part of the screen with black around it. But the part of the screen is just as sharp as the native resolution.
-"Aspect" mode stretches the image top to bottom but keeps the intended aspect ration correct, so there may or may not be black bars on the left and right depending on the resolution.
-Lastly, "Fill" mode fills the entire widescreen with whatever resolution is being sent, so images might not have proper proportions.

Of course it's best to send the native 1920x1200 resolution, but it's good to have alternatives if you are hooking up other devices to the monitor.
post #105 of 244 Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

You just missed the non-HC model was $60 off last week. :-/

Seems like I'm always a day late and a dollar short

Hopefully a sale will turn up when I'm ready to pull the trigger but if one shows up before then I'll jump on it.

Thanks again for updating your thoughts on your new 2407.

Jim
post #106 of 244 Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:

A couple other things... I'm using DVI-D from my nVidia card, but there's also composite, s-video, component and of course VGA inputs. It will do Picture in Picture and Picture by Picture with either DVI or VGA as the main source and one of the other 3 as the secondary source. I haven't found any re-size or positioning for the PiP yet... maybe I should crack the manual?

That would be great if the PIP can be moved around or sized.

Thanks for the inputs

Nate
post #107 of 244 Old 07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph4469 View Post

I wouldn't get a screen that large if you play FPS.. large screens make it more difficult to concentrate on small detail off in the distance (like little heads popping up), and to keep everything in your field of vision. Of course, pretty much every other game is great on larger screens..
post #108 of 244 Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

DaverJ, can you confirm or deny whether the 2407WFP-HC is HDCP compliant over DVI? Dell mentions HDCP compliance on the 27 and 30 inch monitors, but not for the 24.. however, I think it would be foolish to include TV type inputs (i.e. component), and TV type features such as PIP/PBP without including HDCP.
post #109 of 244 Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The 2407 is HDCP compliant. That is the only real difference between it and the 2405.
post #110 of 244 Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How do we verify HDCP compliance?
post #111 of 244 Old 07-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

well, you plug something in that requires compliance.. I guess only a ps3, hd-dvd or bluray player would fit the bill? I'll take Speedy's word on it
post #112 of 244 Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temeone View Post

well, you plug something in that requires compliance.. I guess only a ps3, hd-dvd or bluray player would fit the bill?

OH, this reminds me. I need to get an HDMI to DVI-D device/cable/thingamajig.

...any suggestions on this? EDIT: nevermind, I ordered a cable from Amazon.
post #113 of 244 Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the cable from Amazon today, and even though the packaging said HDMI to DVI-D from Cables Unlimited, it had HDMI connectors on both ends.

Thankfully, Amazon's return system is painless and they are overnighting a correct cable (knock on wood) tomorrow.
post #114 of 244 Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 AM

It's nice to hear that the Dell models have improved now after all the bashing I'd seen in the reviews of older models (color banding, input lag, etc). Excellent. I bit the bullet back in Feb and picked up the BenQ FP241W (with 1:1 firmware), and I must say that I'm loving it. I've also been following the now 188-page hardforum thread on it from the beginning, but can happily say that I've never had the blackout problems that others have complained of (and that's using their included DVI cable on my 7800GTX). As others have said, it'd be nice if the 1:1 mapping via 1080p HDMI lacked the 5% overscan, but the picture looks gorgeous. And I just set it to aspect mode then anyhow. If anyone has any questions about the display, feel free to ask, and congrats on the 2407WFP-HC, DaverJ.
post #115 of 244 Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

DaverJ, have you experimented at all with different gaming resolutions on your Dell? I'd be interested to see how it scales different resolutions and if there are scaling options. I.e. if you run a non 16:10 aspect resolution (say 1600x1200 or 1280x1024), would the monitor stretch it to fill the whole screen, or would it use black bars? Is there an option to switch between stretching and 1:1 mapping?

And how about scaling from external devices since nothing has a 16:10 format. Say a DVD player over component running a 16:9 (not letter box) or 4:3 DVD, or a gaming console with a 16:9 game.

I'm sure you haven't had it long enough to really test too much of anything.. but if you have, I'd like to know. Thanks

post #116 of 244 Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DaverJ, have you experimented at all with different gaming resolutions on your Dell? I'd be interested to see how it scales different resolutions and if there are scaling options. I.e. if you run a non 16:10 aspect resolution (say 1600x1200 or 1280x1024), would the monitor stretch it to fill the whole screen, or would it use black bars? Is there an option to switch between stretching and 1:1 mapping?

And how about scaling from external devices since nothing has a 16:10 format. Say a DVD player over component running a 16:9 (not letter box) or 4:3 DVD, or a gaming console with a 16:9 game.

I'm sure you haven't had it long enough to really test too much of anything.. but if you have, I'd like to know. Thanks

I have tried non-native resolutions using both the 6800GT card to scale and have the monitor scale instead of the card... both look good (about the same) - better than I expected.

The monitor has 3 settings, 1:1, Scale, and Aspect... I went into detail a couple posts back.

When the HDMI to DVI-D cable comes in I'll check my PS3. I don't want to take the 360 out of the HT.
post #117 of 244 Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Oh man, I completely missed that. Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. Keep me updated with the PS3 though
post #118 of 244 Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going with a 22" widescreen in the next week. I only want a 1680x1050 native display as I don't want to run everything at 1080P, yet. I run my games and desktop at the lcd's native rez. Don't care for the PQ quality of lcd scalers so again I stick with native. I'm more then happy with the quality of 1680x1050 with AA etc., so imo no reason to stress games anymore when A1 over here is satisfied.

I have a westy 37" 1080P, which the HTPC is hooked to as well as the 360. IMO it throws a great pc/gaming display, razor in fact. For my desktop 37" is just way too much for me. Personally 24" would be about as big as I need on my desktop I just don't like the additional $ difference between 22" and 24" to go 24".
post #119 of 244 Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

you can go dual 22" WS for around the same price as some 24 inchers
post #120 of 244 Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you can go dual 22" WS for around the same price as some 24 inchers

...Not necessarily the best choice for gaming though.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page