post #31 of 41 Old 06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache137 View Post

yeah, i think i like the quad 6600 the best, it seems like the real bang for the buck as far as quad processing goes........

Why would you buy this processor..?

It runs hotter, overclocks less, and the bus now has to split its tasks across four slower lanes. If you are a gamer, you avoid this chip and go for the C2D which is cheaper and will overclock higher, doesn't require as much power, and runs cooler.

When games start to come out that use the Quad-Core, pop in a Quad Core chip. Why invest in technology today that you may not even use in the near-future tomorrow?
Quote:

i found some good ocz ram. im thinkin about a seagate 500gb and a 74gb raptor. and i got a good deal on a 1kw ocz psu.
im gonna hold off on the sound until the auzen prelude comes out.

Tigerdirect is having a sale today on Crucial Ballistix sticks if you like those....note, the G.Skill ram at Newegg for $120 bucks I think is supposedly Micron, and are overclocking like crazy, even higher than the boutique brands with the fancy heat-spreaders costing much more......something to consider.

Quote:

the striker mobo still looks kinda expensive.....

Thats cute....quad core chip, Raptor and storage drives, aftermarket cooler and a 1KW power supply...but you're worried about $100 more on a MB?

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 06-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes they are still expensive and there are some new asus mobos with close to the same specs but not quite as good.
post #33 of 41 Old 06-14-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The thing is....do you really know what you are buying?

I mean, if you're buying a $300 board...why are you buying that board, why wont a $120 board do?

The OP seems like a bit of a noob to the PC building scene, and as such is probably buying by brand name, price, and recommendation. But buying at the top of the food chain means you're spending alot of extra money for only a little bit of extra performance, so the idea is to choose wisely.

Spending money on a super expensive motherboard because you might be able to get an extra 100Mhz overclock out of it? Or because it has 4 gigabit lan ports on it? Stuff like that just makes me shake my head.....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #34 of 41 Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Agreed HeadRusch. As far as PC gaming is concerned i'll always go after the mid point of the performance / price ratio. Trying to get top of the line equipment tends to follow the "law of diminishing returns" and burns excessive money you could be using for upgrades down the line. Really there isn't much reason to go beyond an E6600 and 965P chipset. Going after dual 8800gtx's, 1kw PSU, Striker mobo, all just burnt money imo. Most of the times i just recommend a DS3 and E4300 to people for that reason. (which on a side note, the very cost effective DS3 is also capable of 1333FSB)

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #35 of 41 Old 06-15-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 319
So if price is not an issue, what is the recommended CPU: the QX6700 or X6800?

The only difference I can see is the 6700 has 8megs cache and is clocked at 2.66Ghz, while the 6800 has less cache (4megs) but is clocked at 2.93Ghz.

^^ ...or do they both have little to no real-world advantage (games at 1920x1200) compared to the E6700 and aren't worth the extra $600?

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #36 of 41 Old 06-15-2007, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
I replaced my E6600 with an E6700 when the price drop'd. I OC my E6700 to 3.2 with no effort. Which is > then the stock X6800. Also quad currently is not really supported in most games. Note that the higher the CPU , the less OC'able they become. Better to spend the extra $$$ on good Vid Cards or PSU or RAM if is for gaming only.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #37 of 41 Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Thanks Tinker... your input in the forum is a big help and is much appreciated.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #38 of 41 Old 06-20-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

sorry guys, ive been swamped with work for a while....

headrousch, i am a bit of noob, ive only built 2 PCs in the past, and neither was built to be a huge performer.....
i dont know alot about high performance parts....... i just want the best i can get for my money...... which isnt unlimited......
reason i wanted quad was because i will be majoring in mechatronics engineering. so i thought a quad would give me good speed and power for the intensive engineering programs that ill be using in the future.....

im currently stuck playing the waiting game..... as i have been for a couple years now.
nvidia g90 gpus coming close to end of the year, which means price drops in the 8 series. and july 22 price drops for intel. Ram is already dirt cheap, and seems to be dropping daily.

im probably gonna wait until atleast july 22, q6600 is said to drop to around 266, so the e6600 and 6700 would be dropping significantly i imagine as well.

since the q6600 will be that cheap, would you all still recomend buying the e6600 or 6700, and why or why not?

thanks again, and sorry for the seemingly redundant inquiries.

also, can anyone tell me if the tuniq tower or thermalright 120 will fit an nzxt zero case?
post #39 of 41 Old 06-24-2007, 02:34 AM

stay far away from 680i chipsets you will have nothing but headaches after a month of use.
post #40 of 41 Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

WAIT! That money is supposed to be for alcohol and narcotics........

at least get some weed, it will make your gaming all that much better
post #41 of 41 Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

nameless.... why do you say that?
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page