Halo 2 Vista, but I have a Vista problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newegg has VISTA OEM for just over $100. Which is for system builders, and they say you need an OPK. What is that, or is the DVD just the normal Vista, and a cost savings for system builders so more PCs get out in the market.

Any info would be appreciated, if you build your own, is the OEM the way to go? I read about you can't install in more than one machine verbage, but what about the OPK, will the DVD from newegg work, or will it need some company stuff???

Thanks in advance!

"Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 PM

OPK = Official Product Key?

I thought every version came with a product key, but maybe not. Keys can be bought by calling Microsoft I believe. I want to say they were $50 at one time.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wegafan View Post

Newegg has VISTA OEM for just over $100. Which is for system builders, and they say you need an OPK. What is that, or is the DVD just the normal Vista, and a cost savings for system builders so more PCs get out in the market.

Any info would be appreciated, if you build your own, is the OEM the way to go? I read about you can't install in more than one machine verbage, but what about the OPK, will the DVD from newegg work, or will it need some company stuff???

Thanks in advance!

I use an OPK to do a quick installation of Windows. OPK is an OEM Preinstallation Kit. It is a program that lets me build computers for customers and then re-seal the system kinda like when you buy a new Dell. I installed OEM Vista on my machine without one with no issues.

This one should be fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116202

PSN: Mobius570
XBL: Mobius570
Wii: Some silly number I can't locate
TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #4 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay, the site you mention Mobius, is that all you need, or do you need to use a OPK? I keep getting varied responses online about if you can just put the DVD in or if you need to have the OPK? OKay, after re-reading your response above, you said "without one", without an OPK? Okay, sorry if that is what you meant, I am a goof sometimes

Even read a Microsoft employee on PC Mag saying that not that many people understand the gem that is OEMs, and how of a cost savings it would be for customers. Obviously, I am all for cost savings, but I am not trying to make the process more complex than putting a DVD in, and following directions. The OPK and setting up for someone else, which is actually me, seems a waste of time, and complex to boot. Plus, Microsoft's website says you need to be a company to get the OPK.

Any other guidance...should I pull the trigger on the OEM, or buy the more than twice expensive version.

post #5 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, the site you mention Mobius, is that all you need, or do you need to use a OPK? I keep getting varied responses online about if you can just put the DVD in or if you need to have the OPK? OKay, after re-reading your response above, you said "without one", without an OPK? Okay, sorry if that is what you meant, I am a goof sometimes

Even read a Microsoft employee on PC Mag saying that not that many people understand the gem that is OEMs, and how of a cost savings it would be for customers. Obviously, I am all for cost savings, but I am not trying to make the process more complex than putting a DVD in, and following directions. The OPK and setting up for someone else, which is actually me, seems a waste of time, and complex to boot. Plus, Microsoft's website says you need to be a company to get the OPK.

Any other guidance...should I pull the trigger on the OEM, or buy the more than twice expensive version.

You will not need an OPK disk. Just the Vista disk is fine. Also OPK disks can be downloaded for free if you do need one. You may have to be a MS Partner to get one, but they can be obtained easily.

TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Excellent! I am thankful for your assistance! Since you seem knowledge, this is my last question

Since I want to keep XP around, can I repartition a RAID 0 2 HDD setup. I am afraid to even attempt the dual boot thing, since I have a RAID setup. And since the RAID doesn't load any drivers if you use a LINUX repartion CD, am I gonna screw up my XP during the repartitioning process.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I purchased the OEM version of Vista Ultimate from newegg, and it installed just fine from the DVD. I didn't need an OPK at all.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #8 of 15 Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I read that you can't make changes to your hardware if you use the OEM version, is that true? what are the limitations of the OEM version?
post #9 of 15 Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

that is true to an extent, this is from recent reading. You can change a few components, but change more than a few (I think 3) or the motherboard, and you have violated the agreement for OEM. However, I think if you call about the hardware changes, when you have to reactivate, and be vague it might not be a big deal. I can't be certain, there are long posts on this topic in other forums outside of AVS. Search about OEMs and they are talking legal stuff :-\\

post #10 of 15 Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I've changed my primary HDD twice since February, had to call MS to reactivate, but they didn't have a problem with it. The first time, they asked how I got the OEM version, I told them I purchased it from newegg, and that was it.

Two weeks ago, I switched out the HDD again, called MS, and they didn't ask anything.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #11 of 15 Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM

im assuming the process is the same for xp? thats what ill be loading on my new pc.....
post #12 of 15 Old 06-18-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excellent! I am thankful for your assistance! Since you seem knowledge, this is my last question

Since I want to keep XP around, can I repartition a RAID 0 2 HDD setup. I am afraid to even attempt the dual boot thing, since I have a RAID setup. And since the RAID doesn't load any drivers if you use a LINUX repartion CD, am I gonna screw up my XP during the repartitioning process.

Sorry I haven't visited this thread in awhile. I'm running mine in dual boot and was very easy to set up. As for adding Vista and XP on a RAID 0 I'm not sure, I haven't tried it. Not much help there.

TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #13 of 15 Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsra13 View Post

I read that you can't make changes to your hardware if you use the OEM version, is that true? what are the limitations of the OEM version?

There aren't any limitations with OEM except that Microsoft only wants it on the PC it was sold with. The poster above is correct if you re-activate it more than once or twice you will need to call Microsoft. They usually don't give you a hard time and may ask how many other machines is this software installed on, which is a trick question. Just tell them one. Minor mods are okay like a new hard drive, ram video card, but they consider a new mobo or CPU a new PC. Again if you call them they will re-activate, I just wouldn't mention you changed the mobo or CPU.

Now for the retail version I believe they changed their EULA (End User License Agreement) to read that you can move it from machine to machine as long as it was removed from the previous machine.

TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #14 of 15 Old 06-24-2007, 09:54 AM

I upgrade my rig every time A new mobo or processor comes out so oem was out of the question for me. My computer get a major overhaul about every six months but if you don't plan on making any changes for a couple of years or if you just plan to buy a ew rig every couple of years then oem is for you.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Some news on the Halo 2 on XP front for those interested, in short it is reality:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=11470839

Notice the second page that even Bungie forum moderators are now playing Halo 2 on XP and have very unkind words for M$.
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page