Possible rig -- Comments & suggestions needed! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 204 Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For me anything under 40c is acceptable at idle for a C2D and under 50c at load.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 204 Old 08-04-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Using the BIOS smart fan setting has relieved me of that tone I was hearing. Thanks Tinker for the good temp range of a PC.

Now I'm slightly obsessed with the mild "whrrrrr" of the PC. It's not loud, but I'm wondering if I can get closer to the MacPro, which is, for all intents and purposes, silent. So I'm thinking about possibly pulling the plug on one of the 4 fans, but maybe I need to dial down the fans even though they are on the low setting.

Would something like this fan controller (which has the added bonus of matching the black with blue lights of the Antec Nine Hundred case) be advisable or should i stay away from adjusting the fan speed?
post #183 of 204 Old 08-04-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Turn 2 fans off, see what happens with the temps.

If its still annoying with 2 fans, replace with better quality silent fans.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #184 of 204 Old 08-04-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Turn 2 fans off, see what happens with the temps.

This might be a dumb question, but is it a requirement that at least one of the front fans stay on? I have a feeling those two are most of what I'm hearing.

For now I'll try leaving the front fan over the HD and the 200mm fan top/back on and see what it does to the temps vs. sound.
post #185 of 204 Old 08-04-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Try turning everything but the big 200mm exhaust fan on top of the case off and see what the temps and sound are like. (*Obviously leave the fans on the heatsinks running)

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #186 of 204 Old 08-04-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaking of CPU temps, the motherboard monitor is saying I am at 19c for the cpu pretty much at idle and the motherboard itself is 30c

Does that make any sense

Dan
post #187 of 204 Old 08-04-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just checked mine while sitting here catching up and mine is at 23c CPU and MB at 37c. It's about 72 degress here today. Also just to see I turned the small floor fan I have next to my desk directly at the front of the case with the front case door open and while typing this it went down to 21c CPU and 35c MB.

Jim
post #188 of 204 Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

Speaking of CPU temps, the motherboard monitor is saying I am at 19c for the cpu pretty much at idle and the motherboard itself is 30c

Does that make any sense

You have an ASUS MB right?
I think we have almost the same config. I have a P5KC and a e6850. At first I had the same temps for the CPU and I knew they weren't correct. I installed the lated BIOS, the latest PC Probe (that's why I was using to check temps) and also installed TAT. TAT is the best tool to check temps (and also to check stability).

what kind of CPU heatsink do you have?
post #189 of 204 Old 08-07-2007, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsra13 View Post

You have an ASUS MB right?
I think we have almost the same config. I have a P5KC and a e6850. At first I had the same temps for the CPU and I knew they weren't correct. I installed the lated BIOS, the latest PC Probe (that's why I was using to check temps) and also installed TAT. TAT is the best tool to check temps (and also to check stability).

what kind of CPU heatsink do you have?

I am using the ZeroTherm BTF90

Which version and where did you get the latest PC Probe?

My last computer (5 years old ) was water cooled and I am not familiar with what air cooled temps should be. I assume they are going to run hotter, but I might not want to see the temps as I am still in the water cooled mentality. I was going for a quieter pc this time, but I still want it to be cool

Dan
post #190 of 204 Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going for a quieter pc this time, but I still want it to be cool

How satisfied are you with the noise level of your new rig? I would give mine an "acceptable"... I can clearly hear it in a silent room, but if I"m playing a game or turn a room fan on the sound gets drowned out.

It's much better than my last PC, which I had to put in another room and snake the cables through the wall. I can be in the same room with this one, but I'm wondering if I should have gone with that Antec p182 case.
post #191 of 204 Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

it is pretty quiet. In a quiet room I can hear some slight air/fan noise. I think it is from the CPU cooler. I might change the 2 case fans but the CPU fan on this unit is an odd size. It had gotten a pretty good rating from SilentPc. Maybe I was expecting no noise at all.

Dan
post #192 of 204 Old 08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am using the ZeroTherm BTF90

Which version and where did you get the latest PC Probe?

My last computer (5 years old ) was water cooled and I am not familiar with what air cooled temps should be. I assume they are going to run hotter, but I might not want to see the temps as I am still in the water cooled mentality. I was going for a quieter pc this time, but I still want it to be cool

You can get the latest PC Probe from Asus Support. http://support.asus.com/
Just select your motherboard from the list.

And as mentioned before, anything below 40 should be fine for a C2D.
post #193 of 204 Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Question on memory and Vista. I built my system with the G-Skil 2 x 1gb DDR2 800 memory we all talked about earlier in this thread. I'm running Win XP 32 right now but have thinking about going Vista. It may be a few months or might be next week. I would probably just buy the Home Premium upgrade version unless there is a reason why I souldn't. Anyway I was thinking about picking up two more matching memory modules (4Gb total) now and adding them into the system until I upgrade. Will that cause anything strange to happen with Win XP till I upgrade to Vista? Would I be better off leaving the memory out till I actually upgrade to Vista?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim
post #194 of 204 Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Its usually better to do a fresh install of an OS rather than mess with any upgrade, particularly since Vista is quite a bit different than XP.......

post #195 of 204 Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

...and, FWIW, my 4gigs shows up as 3gigs in the control panel of 32bit Vista.

Maybe you need to go the 64-bit Vista route to get the extended RAM or not... anyone?
post #196 of 204 Old 08-21-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave how has Vista been for you with older games and such? Happy with it so far?

I was hoping since I did a fresh install of XP when I built this system a that the upgrade would be ok. I read somewhere if you setup your XP system with all of your older programs then did your Vista upgrade it was easier to get the older programs to function under Vista. I don't know anything it was just something I read.

Later,

Jim
post #197 of 204 Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

...and, FWIW, my 4gigs shows up as 3gigs in the control panel of 32bit Vista.

Maybe you need to go the 64-bit Vista route to get the extended RAM or not... anyone?

no 32 bit OS can address more than 2 gigs of ram. It won't see it and I don't even think it can use it.
I can get a more detailed explanation from a programmer I know if you need it

Dan
post #198 of 204 Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no 32 bit OS can address more than 2 gigs of ram. It won't see it and I don't even think it can use it.
I can get a more detailed explanation from a programmer I know if you need it

See you learn something new everyday I did not know that. Guess I messed up then because I ordered 2 more gigs when I ordered a new hard drive this morning Oh well I should have waited I guess...

Jim
post #199 of 204 Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Dave how has Vista been for you with older games and such? Happy with it so far?

I haven't had problems with Vista... I hate the UAC, but it can be disabled.

The games I've run are Half Life 2, Titan Quest, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Peggle, Doom3, Lost Planet DX10 demo, Company of Heroes DX10 and the BioShock demo.

The first two DirectX10 experiments were disappointing... very mild visual improvements with excessive framerate drops. However, DX10 on BioShock worked out fine, even at very high resolution. As for the "older games" (are Half Life 2 and Doom3 considered old?), no problems there.

I submit this to Microsoft for a marketing slogan:
"Vista -- it doesn't suck as bad as most people say."
post #200 of 204 Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I think a real question here might be: what *benefit* does Vista bring you.......right now its clear the DX10 parts aren't anywhere near up to snuff, and that would be the only reason I'd upgrade

And yeah, sadly, HL2 is old
And so is D3

But man the framerates we can rock on our new boxes on those games are AWESOME!
Plus Dave has his new high rez, small size monitor!

post #201 of 204 Old 08-22-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

See I always thought Vista 32 supported a full 4gb of ram. Of course stupid me I thought XP could also I could not cancel the ram and it's 15% to send it back so I guess I'll install it anyway??? If Windows XP or Vista only report it as 3GB is the OS using the 3GB or still just 2 GB?

After more reading and thinking I'll probably hold off on a Vista upgrade till after the first service pak.

Oh I have one of those new 24" high rez small monitors like Dave and I think it looks real nice

Thanks for the advice and info guys.

Jim
post #202 of 204 Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM

32bit os's will see just over 3 gigs (mine says 3326mb and i have 4 gigs installed). For some more info on this you should read this:

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034

gamertag : zupahwez0e
post #203 of 204 Old 09-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Daverj - How are you liking your case? From what I have been reading dust can be an issue with the antec 900. Have you had a lot of dust buildup in there?
post #204 of 204 Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkmeat View Post

Daverj - How are you liking your case? From what I have been reading dust can be an issue with the antec 900. Have you had a lot of dust buildup in there?

I would give the Antec900 an "A" for airflow (important for gaming) and the noise level maybe a "B-". I guess in order to have excellent airflow we have to give up a little noise?

Noise level is purely subjective and everyone's mileage varies on the build and environment. For reference on the DaverJ noise scale, a just-booted PS3 gets around an "A-", yet drops to a "B" when the secondary fan kicks in. I would say an idle Xbox360 gets a "B" (yet with a 360 game disk spinning it gets an "F" due to drive noise). My personal favorite is Apple's MacPro tower, which gets an "A+" in the noise department. Seriously, the only way to tell the sucker is on is to look at the light on the front... it's that quiet. I'll have to open that thing sometime -- I wonder it runs fanless.

As for dust on the 900 -- I think the airflow is so good that it's actually one of the better cases if that is a concern. The front intake grill does accumulate some dust from time to time, which is easy to wipe off. But with all the fans in the case, I don't think any dust particles that go inside are going to stay there for long.
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page