post #91 of 202 Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

I believe Bioshock supports OpenAL, so you wouldn't use ALchemy anyway (I assume that's what you're referring to). You don't have to do anything funky to get OpenAL games to work in Vista.

I'm getting EAX in Vista with the game, though I did have to manually turn it on as well as manually select 5.1 in the Bioshock options.

What are your symptoms?

Well, I think there's more to it, there's a difference. OpenAL is just one part of the wrapper. There's a whole long THREAD about it over in Creative's forums. But yea, I just gave up on the later part, turned on "EAX" and it seems to be doing something. OpenAL is good enough all by itself.

As for bugs, I have to say it's one of the few games that I have I can play for hours and has been stable. No crashes, pauses, glitches, or anything. I think having a Core 2 machine under Vista x64 with 4GB of ram and a 512GB videocard makes all the difference here. The days of 32bit single core gaming is at an end.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 202 Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Well, I think there's more to it, there's a difference. OpenAL is just one part of the wrapper. There's a whole long THREAD about it over in Creative's forums. But yea, I just gave up on the later part, turned on "EAX" and it seems to be doing something. OpenAL is good enough all by itself.

As for bugs, I have to say it's one of the few games that I have I can play for hours and has been stable. No crashes, pauses, glitches, or anything. I think having a Core 2 machine under Vista x64 with 4GB of ram and a 512GB videocard makes all the difference here. The days of 32bit single core gaming is at an end.

I recently built a new rig and found out the hard way about the issues with Vista and surround sound. My understanding is that any game that supports OpenAL does not require any wacky wrappers like ALchemy. That seems to be true, since I got 5.1 with both Battlefield 2 and Bioshock without having to add either game to the ALchemy list.

I've got an X-Fi card; if you've got Audigy there may be some differences.

Anyway, I found the game to be pretty stable too (played it three hours last night), though it did lock up on me once. I had overridden some memory timing settings though, so I'll try setting everything back to "auto" and see if that makes a difference.

Do you know if the game takes advantage of more than one CPU core? I went with a quad core CPU and it'd be nice to know that more than one is being used. Wouldn't want them to get bored.
post #93 of 202 Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The game supposedly makes use of multicore procs, but I haven't checked my CPU while playing.

Plus I found this in one of the .ini files:

[Havok]
; HavokNumThreads: Number of threads the physics should use for performing simulation updates.
; Note: If there are fewer logical processors present than this number, then this value will be clamped to the number of processors.
; Note: Ignored on XBox360.
HavokNumThreads=2

So it appears as though the physics can take advantage of multicore procs...
post #94 of 202 Old 08-22-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It says in the Readme.txt that it's optimized for dual core processors:
Quote:

2.2 CPU Speed
-------------

BioShock is optimized for dual core machines. If the game is run on a single core machine then a processor of 2.5GHz or better is required to get reasonable performance. The higher the clock speed of the processor the better the game will run. Most dual core machines will be optimum for BioShock

Now all they need to do is a 64bit version, although they probably won't bother because it's a single player game. UT3 will have a 64bit version though.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #95 of 202 Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM

nm got it
post #96 of 202 Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Jesus.. I just played for a couple hours on my 90" projection in the dark with 5.1 surround blasting. This game is INTENSE, as someone put it before. I typically don't like dark corridor type games (not a big doom3 game.. quake4 was ok), but this is a lot of fun. I can see why it's getting such great reviews. It runs pretty well in high detail on my 7800gt, AMD 3700+ san diego.. of course, not pushing the resolution up.
post #97 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 AM

I played an hour or so last night and have to say that they did a good job (so far). I'm playing on a Dual Core 2.13, 2G RAM and Nvidia 7900 GS at 1920x1200 widescreen resolution and the game is running silky smooth. I thought for sure that I would have framerate issues.

I'm not a big fan of the controls though. They just seem too sensitive even with the mouse sensitivity cranked all the way down. Plus I'm more of a fan of total WASD controls where the environment spins on its own (like in WOW) rather than having to use the mouse.

So far so good
post #98 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I played the 360 version some last night... great game.

The demo is the first, somewhat short, level of the game, yet gives you a little more than the full game's first level, i.e. hacking, bots and a 2nd Plasmid. However, it isn't until the 2nd level that the game's balance is revealed -- maintaining health & plasmid power, and upgrading stats.

I'm looking forward to diving deeper into this one!
post #99 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x View Post

I can't rebind movement keys in the demo. I get an in-game error talking about reserved key.

What kind of PC game doesn't allow you to override default key binds?

I don't use WASD, therefore I can't play the demo.

You mean, what kind of "PC game demo" doesn't allow you to override default key binds. You can change them in the actual game.
post #100 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...reen-melodrama

Lmk when there's a patch Will get it off Steam then.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #101 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The Widescreen issue is WAY overblown. It doesn't distract from the experience at all.
post #102 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkaipalm View Post

The Widescreen issue is WAY overblown. It doesn't distract from the experience at all.

I agree.

It's not like a movie being shown in a different aspect ratio where a decision is made to cut off a part of the screen. In games, we control the "cinematography" (except in cut scenes), so OAR in a FPS is pretty much arbitrary.
post #103 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkaipalm View Post

Agreed. I see zero issues with the game in widescreen mode.
post #104 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

You mean, what kind of "PC game demo" doesn't allow you to override default key binds. You can change them in the actual game.

Not all of them, H and L are both unbindable, even says so in the manual.
post #105 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Yes it kind of pisses me off about H and L. I've used these two keys in every FPS since doom!!
post #106 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone tell me why the demo runs like crap for me?

4300@ 2.7ghz
8800 gts 640mb
2 gigs of ram
Yes i have the beta nvidia drivers installed also. Once i pick up the machine gun headed towards the security camera the game goes under 20 fps and is pretty much unplayable.
post #107 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

^ onboard sound or dedicated sound card?

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #108 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

Agreed. I see zero issues with the game in widescreen mode.

How can you not see any isuue with it?

Instead of going from 4x3 to 16x9 by adding 25% horizontal viewing area to the 4x3 screen, 2kBoston took a 4x3 image and and zoomed in until the black bars which would be displayed on a 16x9 TV disappeared.

It's like zooming in on a 4x3 image on a Widescreen TV to just to get rid of the black bars on the side...
post #109 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

^ onboard sound or dedicated sound card?

Onboard sound. Should i drop the sound quality? Not sure if i even remember seeing a option. Ok not to many options in the sound options. I do have a old sound card in my older computer. Do you think it could help?
post #110 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

The game has a rootkit built into it.. do not buy the pc version.. buy it after 2k releases a patch to stop the securom rootkit crap.. look at the 2k forums.. they're filled with complaints about the stupid securom protection.
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6750
post #111 of 202 Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1 View Post

The game has a rootkit built into it.. do not buy the pc version.. buy it after 2k releases a patch to stop the securom rootkit crap.. look at the 2k forums.. they're filled with complaints about the stupid securom protection.
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6750

Sony appears in the registry along with Securom. Took my copy back since it wouldnt start after install.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #112 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 AM

lol, this guy got Pwnt by Bioshock

http://bioshockd.ytmnd.com/
post #113 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

Yeah thats the guy from gaf. I remember reading his story when it first happened said he would take pics damn that looks bad.
post #114 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier View Post

Onboard sound. Should i drop the sound quality? Not sure if i even remember seeing a option. Ok not to many options in the sound options. I do have a old sound card in my older computer. Do you think it could help?

external sound processing always helps, unless you have a fancy mobo with a decent dedicated sound proc.

I remember using my motherboard's onboard sound option in mohaa, as soon as I logged into multiplayer and started firing my weapon I saw a 15-20fps decrease. Even more when the other players started shooting.

Slapped in my old M-Audio Revo 7.1, disabled onboard sound in the BIOS, and the problem disappeared.

post #115 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier View Post

Can anyone tell me why the demo runs like crap for me?

4300@ 2.7ghz
8800 gts 640mb
2 gigs of ram
Yes i have the beta nvidia drivers installed also. Once i pick up the machine gun headed towards the security camera the game goes under 20 fps and is pretty much unplayable.

I agree with Scotty that this might be a sound issue. I ran the demo on an Opteron165@2.4, SLI 7900GT @ 1920x1200 (w/o global lighting though) and generally stayed at or above 30fps with some dips into the 20's. However, this is with X-Fi sound. I'd expect an 8800GTS to do at least the same.

The beta drivers made a BIG performance difference but part of that was because I was too lazy to create an SLI profile for my old drivers.

Jim
post #116 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

Have you seen a MB that looks like that in a long time. It looks about 10 years old looking at the markings
post #117 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know how to get sound going for the game? I have onboard sound with Dell 9200 . Does this game need EAX? Theres an option not to. Wonder why I dont get sound?
post #118 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 View Post

How can you not see any isuue with it?

Instead of going from 4x3 to 16x9 by adding 25% horizontal viewing area to the 4x3 screen, 2kBoston took a 4x3 image and and zoomed in until the black bars which would be displayed on a 16x9 TV disappeared.

It's like zooming in on a 4x3 image on a Widescreen TV to just to get rid of the black bars on the side...

Actually, it's just the opposite. The devs have stated that the FOV was very specifically chosen for widescreen displays, and that when you run in 4:3 you're getting more on the top and bottom - the 4:3 version is what is compromised.

To me it's more like the difference between fullscreen and widescreen. A movie framed for widescreen may be released on video for 4:3 with more on the top and bottom (fullscreen as opposed to pan&scan). But that isn't how it was intended for viewing.

The FOV in widescreen mode *is* more zoomed in than most games. Could it be that it's supposed to be like that to enhance the claustrophobic feel?
post #119 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Well i tried the sound card and disabled the mobo sound and getting the same performance. It's the water. It bogs my system down like no other. When the plane slams into the tube i get about the same as i get towards the end of the demo. This shyt is pissing me off. I mean i have the 360 version but i just wanna know why this won't run smoothly on my rig. I've seen on other boards guys with lower systems then me saying they are running it smoothly. Maybe i should reinstall the demo.
post #120 of 202 Old 08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Try removing deferred particle rendering or whatever that specific option is called.

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page