Official Bioshock for PC thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I've been hearing great things about Bioshock for the 360, but looking at the screens it appears that it would be a great showpiece of high resolution PC gaming!

I have the 360 version on my Gamefly account Q, but I just pre-ordered the PC-DVD version: I think it might make be a better experience on the PC. [EDIT: pre-order canceled until PC demo comes out.] If only it had achievements.

...anyone else hyped for this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny, I was just doing some web-searches trying to find out if I should go for the PC or 360 version.

For any game coming out on both platforms, my criteria (in order of priority) is:
1) Good co-op/multiplayer = 360 because then I can game with my partner (I've got 3 360's!)
2) Runs/looks better on the PC = PC (Oblivion is a joy on the PC)

And yes, I'm definately hyped -have not purchased/played a game of real note since Rainbow 6 Vegas, and this game is the first in a string of AAA titles:
Bioshock + Halo3 + Mass Effect + COD4 = gaming heaven
Old 08-12-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 View Post

Funny, I was just doing some web-searches trying to find out if I should go for the PC or 360 version.

So have you decided between the two? I believe the game has gone gold, so we should start seeing early reviews up. I heard on the 1up Yours podcast one of the EGM reviewers played through the entire game on 360 and is putting it up as an early candidate for Game of the Year -- even possibly above Halo3 and the others you mentioned.

I really want to kick back on a chair and play through this in the HT, which would be the 360 version. However, my PC is calling for some high rez new gaming action. Half Life 2 is great and all, but I need something new and modern to run on it soon!

So I guess I'll play guinea pig and try them both. I'll update this thread if I get more details, but if anyone spots any info on the PC version, especially how it compares to the 360 version, please post here.

Here's an interesting quote from a preview on IGN : "[The] PC version of BioShock [is] a version that's not simply a mere port for all of its interface changes and slight mechanical differences", the later referring to turning off (or possibly adjusting) the auto-aim found on the 360 version.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I decided that my PC was not fast enough to play it and I can't update right now. So I was a little bummed about getting what I considered to be a lesser console experience. However, I have since read that the 360 was the lead development platform and there are not huge differences in the graphics department.

So I guess I am ok with playing on my couch for this one. I just wish the 360 would allow kb/m support.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Halo3?? isn't Halo 2 just out for the pc and only with Vista

Dan
Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

Halo3?? isn't Halo 2 just out for the pc and only with Vista

He's probably referring to the x360 version, out in September.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

However, my PC is calling for some high rez new gaming action. Half Life 2 is great and all, but I need something new and modern to run on it soon!

That's why you need Flight Sim X. That'll put your machine through the grinder. BTW, this is one of the newer "Games for Windows" titles so it should have achievements which add to your 360 account if you link them.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Well, I just played the demo on my 360 and it was freakin awesome. No kidding. You will love this game. It really delivers. It has to be one of the best of the year even with all the AAA titles coming out. The demo has me absolutely hooked.

The 360 version looked really amazing. The BEST looking game I have ever played. Visually stunning. Great art direction. Very spooky. Best looking water ever. Graphically it puts Gears of War to shame. (Edit: got a little excited but I still prefer the overall visuals in Bioshock to those in Gears)

The gameplay does not let you down. Completely engrossing. I don't want to ruin anything but it is everything that the developers promised.

Some of the best voicework I have ever heard as well.

I am happy with getting it on the 360 but I would also like to see what it looks like on a high end PC and I would prefer to use a kb/m.

enjoy
Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone confirm acheivements on the PC version? If so, I'll only buy the PC version. If not, I'll get both.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkaipalm View Post

Can anyone confirm acheivements on the PC version? If so, I'll only buy the PC version. If not, I'll get both.

I just looked on the 2K forums, and it's confirmed that the PC version will NOT have achievements. Something like companies have to sign on to Windows Live and only a small few have done it. Lost Planet, Halo 2, and Shadowrun so far are the only games on PC that have achievements.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah no achievements for the PC version. I still ordered the LE version from Gamestop.

I tried the demo for the 360 and it has "Game of Year" all written over it. Halo 3 will sell more, but I don't think it will be better.
My only concern is to check if they can keep the same level of quality for 20+ hours. It's supposed to be a longer game, not the typical 10+ hrs FPS, so we'll see.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hate to say it....but this is a 360 purchase for me. Half Life Episode 2, UT3 look like PC purchasees for me........

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Old 08-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Does anyone know when the PC version is coming out?

I downloaded the demo last night and will try it out tonight. Expectations are high considering the level of hype people have been giving the game over in the 360 forum.

No one has said anything about load times, which makes me think that is not going to be a problem..

On second thoughts, given it's only a demo and fully installed on the hard-drive, I guess we won't really know about load-times until the full-version comes out.

Obviously, that's another area where the PC version is likely to be a better proposition..
Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM

OK, just played the demo. It was quite good, but i think the PC version will be substantially better visually. Gameplay was good and smooth. I do not think it was better or better looking than Gears of War, it's up there though. It's akin to F.E.A.R. crossed with Condemened Criminal Origins.

First big title out of the gates...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I came to my senses and decided that I would play the 360 version and wait for a PC demo to come out, so I canceled my pre-order. Achievements are just too darn addicting!

I downloaded the 360 version last night and will probably play tonight... the on-line videos look great!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Don't own a 360, so I'm going with the PC version. Bioshock and Crysis are really the only two titles I'm looking forward to. (And HL2 Episode II)

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 08-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Well I went down to EB Games the other day and asked about pre-ordering Bioshock. We get a $20 (NZ) discount but it turns out they only have CE editions left for the 360. So I ordered it but then found myself asking what I'm going to do with a tin box and a Big Daddy figurine. I promptly went back and changed my order to the SE PC edition.

Just started to wonder why there is no PC demo, and did a web-search on the matter:

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/812/812733p1.html

To quote:

"According to Tobey, the developer was keen to launch a PC demo alongside the 360 one but extra time was needed to ensure "that all drivers were ready and that the game looked great on a huge variety of computers". However, the PC version is now in the final stages of testing and should be available before the game's North American release date next week."

Something is not quite right about this statement. Any testing being done at this stage would be for the purposes of post-release patches -the game has already gone Gold right?

I do hope the PC version is going to be a solid port. (Maybe I should go and switch back to the 360 version)
Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you haven't played the 360 demo yet... this game looks great. It really shows that the developers were striving for a "feel" and an abstract "style". There's also a wicked sense of humor.

There's no reason this won't be awesome on both 360 and PC. The visuals and sound on the 360 version really feel next gen and it is a great experience in a Home Theater. Those with a HTPC on a front projection system with a big screen should be in for a real treat!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So I came to my senses and decided that I would play the 360 version and wait for a PC demo to come out, so I canceled my pre-order. Achievements are just too darn addicting!

I downloaded the 360 version last night and will probably play tonight... the on-line videos look great!

what are "achievements"

Dan
Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Just finished playing for 3 hours. This game truly is great. There are plenty of powers some passive. The way every new scene is set up is just fun. I'm not gonna say much more because i don't wanna ruin anything for anyone. It does do a little stuttering every know and then and i don't mean the framerate but like a loading stuttering sometimes. One thing i did notice in the menu is the game has a framerate unlocker. I guess that would give you a higher framerate at the cost of screen tearing. Haven't tried it out so i couldn't tell you how severe the tearing is with the option turned on.

Great Great game so far. If you have a chance to pick up early please do.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

what are "achievements"

A points system on Xbox Live. Click here for details.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM

Does anyone know what the suggested system requirements are for the PC version?

Also, will it have a 1920 x 1200 widescreen mode?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcomet View Post

Does anyone know what the suggested system requirements are for the PC version?

Operating Systems: Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) orWindows Vista

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
System RAM: 1GB
Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).
Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card
Hard disk space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
System RAM: 2GB
Video card:
DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
Sound Card: Sound BlasterĀ® X-Fi series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

Important Note: Game requires Internet connection for activation

Quote:

Also, will it have a 1920 x 1200 widescreen mode?

I hope so. I saw a screen shot of the options menu. The resolution was set for 1280x1024, but the slider was just a little over half way. Also, the 360 game is 16:9 so I'm assuming the PC will do widescreen also.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1920x1200 is a pretty standard resolution, I wouldn't be too worried about whether it's supported or not by a brand new game.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Wow, they're really bumping up the recommended system requirments these days. I think I'm going to need a new videocard soon, my X1800XT isn't going to cut it. I don't even think my CPU will be good that much longer (E6600 O/C to 356) for these types of games. At least I have 4GB ram.

When do the new DX10.1 videocards come out? LOL.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Recommended System Requirements:
DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)

I wonder how far down I'll have to bump the settings. I have the 256MB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Its getting to be a little crazy to have to spend $1500 on a PC to play a game, versus $300 to play that same game at 720p......

(and yeah I kinda just did that, so I know I'm crazy too...)

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Well, I have a PS3, and my PC hardware is pretty up to date (only my videocard needs upgrading). So I will be OK this round I think. At least the X1800 I have has 512MB of ram.

Once Crysis comes out I will decide what videocard I want, and by Nov I think the next round of videocard will be out too.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I played through the 360 demo and I have to admit I was not that wow-ed by the experience, although it was a positive impression. Reminded me to a degree of playing Doom3. However having read the review on pcgamer it's obvious the demo only scratched the surface of how deep the gameplay is, so now I'll be purchasing the PC version. FYI, some of the pc differences are listed in the article:

"If you're worrying about the dreaded taint of consolification, by the way, don't. It's clear that the PC team at Irrational are every bit as platform-snobbish as us. There's a PC-only options menu that lets you turn off the quest compass guiding you to your next objective, disable the golden sheen on mission-critical items, and as for auto-aiming, it isn't even an option unless you plug in a 360 pad.

Also exclusive to this edition is a magnificently intricate PC-only quick-switch menu. Because you can have 19 different weapon ammo types on top of your six Plasmids at any given time, using the mouse wheel can get fiddly. So there's also a key you can hold down to pause the game and pick any one of those 25 modes of attack with a single click. Hacking, too, has been designed differently for the PC to make best use of the mouse - it's quicker, slicker and less frustrating than the sluggish Xbox controls.

The final geekily gratifying thing about the PC version is how well it runs. It was dazzlingly beautiful and hitchlessly smooth on a machine with an Ā£80 processor (an Athlon X2 5200) and a single entry-level GeForce 8800 - running DirectX 9. And this was at 1600x900 on max settings."

Jim
Old 08-17-2007, 02:37 AM

Sounds good -feeling happier about my choice to go with the PC version now..

PS. I guess I'm in the minority in that I actually prefer to use a game-pad -for this reason the "games for windows" certification is something I'm very happy about -guaranteed support of th 360 controller is a big plus in my books.