XBOX 360 wireless controller / receiver for windows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows came today, but I'm having difficulty getting it to recognize my wireless 360 elite controller on my HTPC. I have installed the drivers several times, including the updates. I first installed drivers, then connected the receiver, then powered on the controller. The green ring indicator on the controller rotates as its trying to connect to the receiver, but then it just starts to blink and cannot connect. The thing is, I installed the drivers on my laptop which sits literally right next to the HTPC, then hooked the receiver up. The laptop recognized new hardware and installed. Then I powered on the controller, and it connected in no time. It just won't work on the HTPC. Any suggestions? I know its not an issue with interference since it works on the laptop. I have no wireless mice, only a 2.4ghz wireless G router. The laptop is running XP home sp2, the HTPC is running windows XP corporate sp2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I figured out the problem. After some reading on the xbox live forum, I discovered there is a major problem with this device sucking USB power. Bascially, if there are any devices on the usb interface, the receiver won't work. So, I found an old PS/2 mouse, unplugged my 4 attacked USB devices, rebooted, and the controller works fine. As soon as I plug in one of my USB mice again, the connection between receiver and controller is immediately lost. The real solution is a pci usb interface card (I had once, but I think I gave it away!), or an external powered usb hub. Pretty crappy microsoft!
post #3 of 42 Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 AM

The strange thing is ... I have my USB keyboard and USB mouse (both wired) connected to the back of my newly built PC. When I first bought this, it connected no problem, and it was connected to the BACK of the PC with the kb and mouse. Worked great in games.

Lately, it has only "sometimes" connected correctly, other times it wouldn't. A reboot is done before ANY connection is made.

Now it won't connect AT ALL. I have not made any hardware or software changes. I even moved it to the separate USB hub at the front of my PC with nothing else connected to that USB hub, still no success.

I've tried plugging in the controller first, then the receiver, then vice versa, etc. NOTHING. I hit the connect button on the receiver first, then the controller, while the hub is still blinking. Then they blink together, then the controller keeps blinking with no connection. WTH!!
post #4 of 42 Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM

well i was going to see about picking this up but i may have to just mod my other original xbox s controllers and use them instead
post #5 of 42 Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 PM

I have had good luck with mine. I just played the bio-shock for pc demo this weekend and it worked well - it felt identical to bioshock on the 360.

I haven't used it much but when I have it worked very well. The only issue I have is for older games that do not have native support for it you will either need to avoid using the triggers or buy a third party application to control it. For multiplayer games it is quite a pain - a more traditional pc gamepad is better in those cases.
post #6 of 42 Old 09-19-2007, 05:12 AM

With this - how does the Xbox know not to power up when you power up the controller ?
post #7 of 42 Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJester View Post

With this - how does the Xbox know not to power up when you power up the controller ?

For me this is the only thing that sucks about the setup. You press the connect button on the receiver, and then press the connect button on the controller. Now it's paired with your PC receiver and not your Xbox. It won't turn the Xbox on or allow you to play games or anythying.

When you want to play on the Xbox again, you have to press the connect button on the Xbox & then the connect button on the controller. No simple switching between the two systems. I'm tempted to get a second controller so I don't have to keep dealing with this.
post #8 of 42 Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

For me this is the only thing that sucks about the setup. You press the connect button on the receiver, and then press the connect button on the controller. Now it's paired with your PC receiver and not your Xbox. It won't turn the Xbox on or allow you to play games or anythying.

To me, this sounds like the ideal setup. I wouldn't want a wireless controller to be paired to more than one device simultaneously.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #9 of 42 Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My xbox is in a different room so it's not an issue for me. I purchased a PCI USB card, but the stupid thing wouldn't work. My computer recognized it, but no device would be recognized through it, even though the devices were being powered. I.e., the lazer on my mouse would light up, but the PC wouldn't see the mouse, and it wouldn't produce cursor movement. After fiddling a bit, I got a BSOD and the PC wouldn't turn back on until I removed the card

So for now, I'm stuck using a PS2 mouse and no other USB device when I use the controller.
post #10 of 42 Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 AM

Just a heads up, as i had the same problem.

Turns out it is the case of the device sucking too much power.

I had one usb wireless dongle, bt dongle and one 360 pad - this worked fine, but then i added another 360 pad into the confirguration (not another usb dongle) and it wouldnt work.

I purchased a pci usb card and plugged the dongle into that and have had zero problems since.

Annoying, i think ms should have put this in the troubleshooting guide.

crosses fingers for gears of war co-op split screen with 2 pads
post #11 of 42 Old 09-20-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I wouldn't want a wireless controller to be paired to more than one device simultaneously.

I agree, and I'm not sure there's a workable solution for my complaint, but I was just warning about a point of annoyance if you only have one controller or jump between the 360 & PC a lot.
post #12 of 42 Old 09-20-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastishe View Post

Just a heads up, as i had the same problem.

Turns out it is the case of the device sucking too much power.

I had one usb wireless dongle, bt dongle and one 360 pad - this worked fine, but then i added another 360 pad into the confirguration (not another usb dongle) and it wouldnt work.

I purchased a pci usb card and plugged the dongle into that and have had zero problems since.

Annoying, i think ms should have put this in the troubleshooting guide.

crosses fingers for gears of war co-op split screen with 2 pads

I'm still curious about these reports. By spec a device is allowed to draw up to 500 mA from the USB port. A USB port should indicate how much current it can supply so the device knows what capabilities it should turn on or if it should just not enumerate entirely.

It seems to me that the dongle is requiring 500 mA and that a lot of motherboards are reporting they can supply it but really can't. That's just a suspicion, though.
post #13 of 42 Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 AM

You can have devices that use more power. I forget the details, but they can ask for more power and i think you are supposed to plug them into 2 USB ports to deliver that power.... sorry - its been a very long time...
But this problem has been around for ages.
post #14 of 42 Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

I'm still curious about these reports. By spec a device is allowed to draw up to 500 mA from the USB port. A USB port should indicate how much current it can supply so the device knows what capabilities it should turn on or if it should just not enumerate entirely.

It seems to me that the dongle is requiring 500 mA and that a lot of motherboards are reporting they can supply it but really can't. That's just a suspicion, though.

The xbox receiver is reported by my OS as drawing less than 500mA.. I don't remember the figure exactly. It's draw combined with the reported draw from a single USB mouse was still under 500mA, but it wouldn't work.. I think the problem lies with the motherboard.

I fully expected my PCI USB card to work, as it has done for others. If the actual card worked, I suspect I wouldn't have a problem.. but it gave me a BSOD and I gave up for fear of harming something. I might give it another try, or return it for an exchange.
post #15 of 42 Old 01-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Yes, Microsoft wants to lead the future with AI, and the like

except the robots will be very stupid and forget to tell you things like your going to die (GPS) before going over a cliff

your spaceship is going to crash (blue screen of death)

and you dont have enough power to power usb controllers

haha i am going to write a fictional book on how stupid Microsoft is and arrogant to think they might lead in AI whereby they forget to tell you things

Byron Balaski
post #16 of 42 Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I had the same problem trying to get my controller to connect but in the end, I plugged the doggle into my monitors usb output and problem solved. Has worked perfectly ever since.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #17 of 42 Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to msmCutter Send a message via Skype™ to msmCutter
Has anyone tried a wired controller?

Do you guys feel precision is lost compared to a standard mouse?
post #18 of 42 Old 02-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter View Post

Has anyone tried a wired controller?

Do you guys feel precision is lost compared to a standard mouse?

Anybody that has been playing games for over 5 years has used wired controllers. Honestly, wired vs wireless for a gamepad has little effect in terms of lag.

I am trying to move myself from the mouse/keyboard for my HTPC gaming, but I honestly don't see it happening. I just loaded up Mirror's Edge last night. It was nice to just sit back with a controller, but trying to aim a gun with a joystick is just painful compared to a mouse. The game does not require you to shoot anybody to progress, so I am still able to just run past enemies instead of fumble with aiming a gun. In a game like Call of Duty where you have to be accurate with a gun to progress, then trying to use a joystick for aiming means it gets thrown out my window.
post #19 of 42 Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 285
IMO nothing compares to a good mouse.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #20 of 42 Old 02-02-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Yeah, but it's absolutely fine for a game like Fallout 3 when you want to lie back on your couch, and that's exactly what I do with my wireless controller and my PC/Xbox wireless controller.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #21 of 42 Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone use the Xbox microphone through their controller?
post #22 of 42 Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter View Post

Anyone use the Xbox microphone through their controller?

Yep.. it detects it as a usb microphone. works good..my buddy and i played some gaming online and used teamspeak for voip.. was sweet i could set ear piece as a discreet channel in TS.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #23 of 42 Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Nice. Thanks!
post #24 of 42 Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I just hooked my wireless receiver to my Vista PC, and I have a few questions.

1.) How do you disconnect this thing?! When you turn off the 360, the controller cuts off, but I don't want to cut off my desktop just to disconnect the controller. I certainly don't want it to remain powered on indefinitely, either.

2.) What's the best software to allow the 360 controller to control older games? I'm trying to play GTA: SA, and I can't get it to recognize the second analog stick and other buttons.

Thanks.
post #25 of 42 Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It will turn-off automatically after 15mins.

It should just work with older games as long as the software supports it. If it doesn't, I really don't know.

post #26 of 42 Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I was too inpatient to see if it just cut off by itself.

I'm not sure any software "supports" the 360 controller, other than "Games for Windows" like Gears of War. I guess I'm looking for some third-party solution to make it work with older games. Is Xpadder the only real option?
post #27 of 42 Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What I meant is that it will "support" it generically like any other controller. It just wont have the setup autoconfigured like MS For Window games will, you'll have to set it yourself.

post #28 of 42 Old 04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

yea, any windows game that supports a gamepad will work with the 360 controller.

The "Games for Windows" games just natively support it meaning it has a pre-mapped configuration for it.
post #29 of 42 Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

The MS driver's DInput support isn't the greatest which the XBCD drivers fix if your playing non GFW games.
post #30 of 42 Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Same problem with disconecting problem on xbox 360 wireless pad on PC because of an usb tuner.
After plug-in this USB tuner my xbox pad keep disconecting itself....I move xbox receiver into my LCD usb hub.... no problem after this....

This fix must be in MICROSOFT FAQ, not only interference with routers, microwave, mobile phones......

WE NEED MORE USB POWER

EDIT: For ANY GAMES that do not see xbox 360 pad i use Pinnacle Game Profiler, some kind of Xpadder but much better.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page