Team Fortress 2 is flatout awesome! - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > HTPC Gaming > Team Fortress 2 is flatout awesome!

HTPC Gaming

jones07's Avatar jones07
05:01 PM Liked: 11
post #91 of 155
02-02-2008 | Posts: 4,851
Joined: Jan 2001
Spending to much time on this game


thejokell's Avatar thejokell
12:11 PM Liked: 10
post #92 of 155
02-03-2008 | Posts: 2,950
Joined: Nov 2006
Just got it yesterday after I upgraded my PC just to play it. Steam name is theJoKell - hit me up if you want to play.

Also, can anyone recommend some good servers?
joeblow's Avatar joeblow
12:30 AM Liked: 208
post #93 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 12,174
Joined: May 2006
Steam clears my favorites sometime so I have to re-search for servers or I'd tell you where I play. With that said, choose a vanilla server for early play. Don't go to those with special unauthorized settings like fast respawn and 32 player slots. You won't learn the game as it was meant to be played, and Valve may one day make restrictions to end some of that.

I prefer CTF maps (2Fort and Well) over CP maps (all the rest), but the new module coming soon looks good: Gold Rush... one team escorts a mining cart through checkpoints while the other team tries to stop them.
ShagnWagn's Avatar ShagnWagn
12:48 AM Liked: 10
post #94 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 474
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Don't go to those with special unauthorized settings like fast respawn and 32 player slots.

Fast respawn? I guess you mean waiting less than 20 seconds to spawn? I absolutely despise waiting for a damn timer to respawn. There is absolutely no reason why I should have to wait to play. Why not just make it a 5 minute wait? If I want to wait, I will go to an arcade shop and spoon quarters in the machine. You wanna know why there is an insane spawn timer by default? Poor map design. Don't put the cap 10 feet outside the spawn door... sheesh! Is it Dustbowl with the 3 cap points, the "C" cap being at the top of the tower? That is a good one that doesn't need a spawn timer. Warpath is alright, but the initial walk from spawn to the fence is pointless. At least they got a couple right.

32 players is crazy. 24 is just right for this game, but as a "survivalist" kind of player I am, the luck shots and demo spamming get annoying. I'd prefer 5 vs 5, but with the classes it doesn't work right.
pdiss88's Avatar pdiss88
12:52 AM Liked: 13
post #95 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 589
Joined: Jan 2008
It's good, but I get a huge need for speed when using the Soldier, as he walks about a half a foot per second. It just all feels a tad slow to me.

When I actually get to a fight before it ends, though, it's freaking sweet. Not only that, but sniping isn't quite as cheap as TFC and is still pretty fun.
joeblow's Avatar joeblow
01:25 AM Liked: 208
post #96 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 12,174
Joined: May 2006
The default spawn timer wasn't designed to annoy people off from waiting once they die... the 25 second delay serves a purpose. The game was designed and balanced with it in mind. A minor (or non-existent) delay works against that design, just as a 1 minute delay or longer would as well.

It's one thing to barrel into danger headfirst whenever one feels the urge since you can near instantly pop back into the game on fast respawn servers, it is entirely different when you are made to take better care of your character and work smarter to stay alive since one screw up puts you out of an important, heated moment for awhile until you respawn on a normal server.

I am not saying this about you specifically, but the game in general loses a strategic function from insta-spawns IMHO. There is a major strategic bonus on 2Fort for instance to killing half the enemy team in their fort guarding the intel... with them waiting to spawn your wounded squad can more easily accomplish the goal of getting it out of the building because of your efforts. When they die in their base and simply respawn right next to you... I mean I just can't see the positives of that style except for the gogogogo attitude of it all.

Deaths have a significant meaning on vanilla servers. Solid defensive skill has more value as well. I love it as a Spy going into the enemy basement for the intel that if I kill the lone Engineer down there and shutdown his sentry, he can not insta-spawn to stop me on the way out with the prize.

In any case, my original post wasn't really an opinion of the matter as much as it was friendly advice for a new player learning the game. Even if he eventually prefers unauthorized settings for the servers he visits, he should first learn the game IMHO on "vanilla" servers to get a sense of what the official rules play like along with everything else. After that he can then understand what alternatives he prefers... plus, he won't be too caught off guard if Valve puts their foot down and firmly restricts some of those settings from working in the future.
thejokell's Avatar thejokell
05:49 AM Liked: 10
post #97 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 2,950
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Steam clears my favorites sometime so I have to re-search for servers or I'd tell you where I play. With that said, choose a vanilla server for early play. Don't go to those with special unauthorized settings like fast respawn and 32 player slots. You won't learn the game as it was meant to be played, and Valve may one day make restrictions to end some of that.

I prefer CTF maps (2Fort and Well) over CP maps (all the rest), but the new module coming soon looks good: Gold Rush... one team escorts a mining cart through checkpoints while the other team tries to stop them.

I've been playing Team Fortress since the Quake mod, so don't worry about me learning the game. Also played about 40 hours so far on the 360 version - just wanted to upgrade to the PC since it seems to be better updated and not held hostage by Microsoft's Live practices.
pdiss88's Avatar pdiss88
11:16 AM Liked: 13
post #98 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 589
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The default spawn timer wasn't designed to annoy people off from waiting once they die... the 25 second delay serves a purpose. The game was designed and balanced with it in mind. A minor (or non-existent) delay works against that design, just as a 1 minute delay or longer would as well.

It's one thing to barrel into danger headfirst whenever one feels the urge since you can near instantly pop back into the game on fast respawn servers, it is entirely different when you are made to take better care of your character and work smarter to stay alive since one screw up puts you out of an important, heated moment for awhile until you respawn on a normal server.

I am not saying this about you specifically, but the game in general loses a strategic function from insta-spawns IMHO. There is a major strategic bonus on 2Fort for instance to killing half the enemy team in their fort guarding the intel... with them waiting to spawn your wounded squad can more easily accomplish the goal of getting it out of the building because of your efforts. When they die in their base and simply respawn right next to you... I mean I just can't see the positives of that style except for the gogogogo attitude of it all.

gsDeaths have a significant meaning on vanilla servers. Solid defensive skill has more value as well. I love it as a Spy going into the enemy basement for the intel that if I kill the lone Engineer down there and shutdown his sentry, he can not insta-spawn to stop me on the way out with the prize.

In any case, my original post wasn't really an opinion of the matter as much as it was friendly advice for a new player learning the game. Even if he eventually prefers unauthorized settin for the servers he visits, he should first learn the game IMHO on "vanilla" servers to get a sense of what the official rules play like along with everything else. After that he can then understand what alternatives he prefers... plus, he won't be too caught off guard if Valve puts their foot down and firmly restricts some of those settings from working in the future.

I agree. The spawn timer definitely helps give people incentive to accomplish their goal rather than just stand on the outside of the other team's spawn shooting rockets or sticky bombs. Sure, it's a drag if you spend more time respawning than actually fighting, but that should be a warning to stop rushing out into harm's way and think more about your strategy. Maybe a medic would be useful.
thejokell's Avatar thejokell
11:29 AM Liked: 10
post #99 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 2,950
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiss88 View Post

I agree. The spawn timer definitely helps give people incentive to accomplish their goal rather than just stand on the outside of the other team's spawn shooting rockets or sticky bombs. Sure, it's a drag if you spend more time respawning than actually fighting, but that should be a warning to stop rushing out into harm's way and think more about your strategy. Maybe a medic would be useful.

Although respawn campers do still exist. Annoying little bunch they are...
HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch
12:10 PM Liked: 49
post #100 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 9,880
Joined: Nov 2003
Meh.....as much talk of strategy as I've ever heard in online gaming, most of it can be summed up in one word: ********.

I will say that 9 times out of 10 fortune favors the bold. With online gaming you can set up all the defensive perimeters you want, but the way these games are played you often times stand a much better chance of survival if you are on the move.

"Tactics" in most online FPS is synonimous with "Traveling in Packs"...the only way to truly stay alive in an online FPS is either to CAMP, or to travel in packs....forget strategy, covering fire and the like...it just doesn't hold up in the online world (where guns accuracy is based on mathematical probabilities at range, etc....where a human being can keep shooting after receiving wounds from fire, etc).
joeblow's Avatar joeblow
01:29 PM Liked: 208
post #101 of 155
02-04-2008 | Posts: 12,174
Joined: May 2006
Strategy can be found in too many ways to list. In TF2, I can be on a random server where everyone is doing their own thing and still get a lot accomplished from strategy and tactics by just being observant.

On TF2's 2Fort for instance, I often probe the enemy's defense with a Scout first to see where the seams are that aren't guarded by sentries as well as which part of the enemy fort most of my offensive teammates are attacking with our Medics/HWGs/Soldiers. I'll go across the roof of the bridge over to the enemy battlements first most times, and if I can make it down the spiral stairs into the intel room, I can usually get the intel out of the base if no sentry is there.

If I die by a sentry along the way, I switch to Spy and go back in so that I can clear a path either for myself, or for my team mates if they are in the vicinity. If anti-Spying defense is too strong (too many Pyros, too many sentries), I go Medic if we have a shortage (character select screen shows you the numbers), or go Demoman if we need more tactical offense. If the problem with our team is a weak defense of our intel, I go Demo or Engineer depending on what my team mates are doing and what holes we have in protecting our base.

This is just some of the stuff I keep in mind that is strategic in nature but works well on random servers. If I hook up with a particulary talented team mate for 2-man runs (two Spies or Medic+offensive class, etc.), the options expand even more. I don't know what to say to those who play the game as just another solo-frag fest. I certainly don't think everyone has to play that way to be productive.
joeblow's Avatar joeblow
07:10 PM Liked: 208
post #102 of 155
02-08-2008 | Posts: 12,174
Joined: May 2006
Here's another good strat video, this time for the Scout class. Check the author's list for more, including pt. 1 of this one (which has more basic strats).
ShagnWagn's Avatar ShagnWagn
11:13 AM Liked: 10
post #103 of 155
02-12-2008 | Posts: 474
Joined: Nov 2007
I see more common sense than strategy, but I guess that is what separates the great players from the others.

Better play as the scout while you can enjoy it. This class takes advantage of the poor hitbox network code that Valve has, plus the shotty is way overpowered. I thought they were supposed to balance the shotty in the last patch.

Oh well, since I reinstalled Vista I won't be playing this game any more. I am boycotting games that require you to let them track your stats. It's also annoying that Steaming pile keeps running in the system tray regardless if you are playing a game or not. Valve still must not know about the security hole their client has... I'm surprised nobody has exploited it yet. hehe. Reminds me of how Gamespy was handing out locked server passwords in plain text and ignored multiple complaints about it.
thejokell's Avatar thejokell
12:11 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 155
02-12-2008 | Posts: 2,950
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post

I am boycotting games that require you to let them track your stats.

Why?
joeblow's Avatar joeblow
02:26 PM Liked: 208
post #105 of 155
02-12-2008 | Posts: 12,174
Joined: May 2006
Uhm, I just exit Steam when I finish playing. No harm, no foul.
ShagnWagn's Avatar ShagnWagn
12:02 PM Liked: 10
post #106 of 155
02-13-2008 | Posts: 474
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

Why?

It just feels like an invasion of privacy, like they are telling me they have to watch my progress or I don't get to play their precious game. I think it's stupid that all my friends (anybody really) can see how good or bad I play, let alone how many hours I play games. Yes, this is all tracked and freely available for all to see.

Ever ask Valve to delete your account? They deny you. What harm is there in deleting your account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Uhm, I just exit Steam when I finish playing. No harm, no foul.

Yeah I hear ya, but sometimes I forget and that little basTURD is still running. Why isn't there an option to close it automatically when you exit a game? Not only does it hog up memory (I've seen it use 1.5gb of ram with no game running), but who knows what it does/can do in the background?
joeblow's Avatar joeblow
02:32 PM Liked: 208
post #107 of 155
02-13-2008 | Posts: 12,174
Joined: May 2006
Lol, you make it sound like they are watching you sit on the toilet with a girly magazine. It's only gamestats and achievements... you have to avoid the X360 and PS3 (once HOME arrives) to get away from this trend of online tracking since public achievements are all the rage these days. I've had Steam for 4-5 years (however long its been out) and never thought twice about these issues.
thejokell's Avatar thejokell
05:02 PM Liked: 10
post #108 of 155
02-13-2008 | Posts: 2,950
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post

It just feels like an invasion of privacy, like they are telling me they have to watch my progress or I don't get to play their precious game. I think it's stupid that all my friends (anybody really) can see how good or bad I play, let alone how many hours I play games. Yes, this is all tracked and freely available for all to see.

Ever ask Valve to delete your account? They deny you. What harm is there in deleting your account?

I see what you're saying, but I think it's more of a benefit. Diff'rent strokes.
Sundull's Avatar Sundull
04:39 PM Liked: 10
post #109 of 155
02-19-2008 | Posts: 1,027
Joined: Jun 2007
What do you guys think of the new update? I like the new sizzle when using the flamethrower and the new map Badlands. The new Well (CTF) map is so boring.
Libertarian's Avatar Libertarian
05:58 PM Liked: 10
post #110 of 155
02-19-2008 | Posts: 448
Joined: Oct 2006
I'm glad they fixed the spawn area of level 2 dustbowl for blue team. Several times over the past few months, the red team managed to push blue back into their spawn with a few ubered pyros...then they would demo and engie camp to keep us locked up for 15 minutes. Now with two exits it is much easier to break out of their defenses.

I like the new pyro sizzle too
joeblow's Avatar joeblow
07:12 PM Liked: 208
post #111 of 155
02-19-2008 | Posts: 12,174
Joined: May 2006
One fun thing about Badlands (the first CP map I enjoy playing for an extended period) is that you can have some epic battles trying to claim the last cap point inside the enemy base. Even though it takes 3-4 seconds to cap it, they can mount some serious defense formations because of how deep you have to go to access it.

Oh, and I like CTF_Well too (a lot more than CP_Well). The wide open style allows for a different feel than the claustrophobic map of 2Fort even though that's still my favorite map overall. I use more variety in my classes on CTF_Well than 2Fort as a result.
thejokell's Avatar thejokell
08:11 PM Liked: 10
post #112 of 155
02-19-2008 | Posts: 2,950
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

One fun thing about Badlands (the first CP map I enjoy playing for an extended period) is that you can have some epic battles trying to claim the last cap point inside the enemy base. Even though it takes 3-4 seconds to cap it, they can mount some serious defense formations because of how deep you have to go to access it.

Oh, and I like CTF_Well too (a lot more than CP_Well). The wide open style allows for a different feel than the claustrophobic map of 2Fort even though that's still my favorite map overall. I use more variety in my classes on CTF_Well than 2Fort as a result.

I am absolutely loving Badlands. You're right about the last point, too. If you're playing a decently organized team getting that last point can be almost impossible!

As for Well, I think it is VASTLY inferior to Well from TFC. The trains in the middle are a cool addition, but I think the layout of the original is much better. Having the water entrance right to the flag room added a different element that this new map is missing by forcing people through the two front doors. And I think snipers are a lot less effective since they can only see half of the outdoor area (in the TFC version you could see over the space in the middle). And the area above the base was a great place for enemy engineers to set up, but gone with the new version...
Sundull's Avatar Sundull
04:15 PM Liked: 10
post #113 of 155
02-26-2008 | Posts: 1,027
Joined: Jun 2007
Does anyone suffer from lag? When I do, it is just the mouse movement, where it'll completely freeze. Everything on screen remains fluid and I can move around and change weapons on the keyboard. I believe this will happen when there are teleporters near. My mouse is wireless, so do you think it's something wrong with my mouse or the wireless signal going out? Or, could my processor have anything to do with this?
Libertarian's Avatar Libertarian
04:35 PM Liked: 10
post #114 of 155
02-26-2008 | Posts: 448
Joined: Oct 2006
sounds like a mouse problem to me...I've never had any luck with wireless mouses for gaming. Do yourself a favor and get one of these

http://www.directron.com/rz1600p.html
ShagnWagn's Avatar ShagnWagn
09:18 AM Liked: 10
post #115 of 155
02-27-2008 | Posts: 474
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundull View Post

Does anyone suffer from lag? When I do, it is just the mouse movement, where it'll completely freeze. Everything on screen remains fluid and I can move around and change weapons on the keyboard. I believe this will happen when there are teleporters near. My mouse is wireless, so do you think it's something wrong with my mouse or the wireless signal going out? Or, could my processor have anything to do with this?

Is it just in TF2? I assume so since this is where you posted it. Perhaps go into options in the game and check the box for Smooth Mouse Movement.

I just got my first wireless mouse - a Logitech G7 for $50 on clearance at a local store. They are much heavier than a wired one, not sure if I like it or not. Anyhow, I had the wireless antennae plugged into the back of the computer. The movement was erratic and I had problems losing mouse response completely. Once I plugged in the charging station into the USB port and then plugged the USB antennae into the charging station, my problem went away. I think it may have had something to do with line-of-sight? (FYI those Razer mice are uncomfortable for me)
Sundull's Avatar Sundull
09:28 AM Liked: 10
post #116 of 155
02-27-2008 | Posts: 1,027
Joined: Jun 2007
Lately, I have only been playing The Orange Box, but it seems to only happen in Team Fortress 2. I'm not sure if I still have smooth mouse movement on. However, last night while playing the mouse was working fine. I may move the sensor to the front USB port. Right now I have a USB+PS/2 setup. Would I be worse off with just USB?
Sundull's Avatar Sundull
03:01 PM Liked: 10
post #117 of 155
02-29-2008 | Posts: 1,027
Joined: Jun 2007
They just updated Team Fortress 2. It lowered the Demo's spike-bombs to 16 reserve ammo and I think the pipe-bomb to 12 reserve ammo. The Soldier now has 16 reserve rockets instead of 36. Also, they added custom server options, such as no critical hits or no respawn.
joeblow's Avatar joeblow
10:32 AM Liked: 208
post #118 of 155
06-18-2008 | Posts: 12,174
Joined: May 2006
For all you Pyro fans who play the game, check out this amazing update coming this weekend for the class:

- 35 new achievements

- Alternative air compression blast attack added to standard flame thrower. It pushes foes and projectiles/sticky bombs away from you.

- Unlockable Axetinguisher causes critical damage when attacking foes on fire (less damage otherwise).

- Unlockable Flare Gun will light a single foe on fire from a distance if its projectile hits (alternative to the shotgun).

- Unlockable Backburner flame thrower causes critical damage to foes hit from behind, plus you get an extra +50 HP to survive with (no air compressor blast).
jones07's Avatar jones07
04:53 PM Liked: 11
post #119 of 155
06-19-2008 | Posts: 4,851
Joined: Jan 2001
I hate Pyro's and people that play that class.

Long live Big Fat Heavies

The Blood......the blood !!
thejokell's Avatar thejokell
07:38 PM Liked: 10
post #120 of 155
06-19-2008 | Posts: 2,950
Joined: Nov 2006
Pyros rule!

That reminds me...gotta get the update (it is out, right?).

Reply HTPC Gaming

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3