Best Wireless KB/Mouse Solution for FPS Gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey all! I finally got my HTPC up and running yesterday. I went to play the new Unreal Tournament 3 demo and my current wireless kb/mouse combo would have sort of a "sticky" affect every couple of minutes or so (similar to when like a joystick locks up and has move in one direction...). This was very annoying as I plan on gaming quite a bit (mainly FPS) on this system. I currently am using the Logitech diNovo cordless desktop, which works well for every other application. I sit a good 10-12 feet from the htpc. What is yall's recommendations for a new cordless fps gaming kb/mouse solution? Is bluetooth my best route? Or is there another brand/model of cordless combo I should use? Thanks in advance.

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-21-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

bump

ABS!NTH
post #3 of 9 Old 10-21-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Wireless for twitch games like FPS? I think you'll find most PC folks dead set against it. It might be fine for consoles, but for PC gameplay it just won't do. You'll want to get yourself a nice wired keyboard+mouse setup for gameplay.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use the logitech MX3200 KB+mouse combo

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #5 of 9 Old 10-21-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC View Post

I use the logitech MX3200 KB+mouse combo

How does that work out? Could be just b/c im playing a demo too though...

ABS!NTH
post #6 of 9 Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I use the DiNovo on my HTPC and have found that the bluetooth receiver works much better when it is installed "line of site" with the device. I use a USB extension cable to mount the receiver ontop the pc rather than behind the unit.

This method has worked well using everyday home media apps but I really haven't put it to the FPS gaming test. I can add that the DiNovo wireless keyboard is one of the best "feel to the touch" keyboards I have ever used, but it might be a little too compact for gaming. I also found that the unit works better when I let Windows install its own drivers instead of using the bundle of crap supplied by Logitech.

Dave is right, wireless can be a poor choice and not so dependable when precision matters in the fast paced FPS gaming style, but I am currently using a Microsoft 6000 wireless laser mouse that I got on ebay for $15 that spanks the monkeys butt. The receiver is only inches away from the device which probably makes all the difference in the world.When it comes to mice stick with laser because performance has always been much better than all the countless optical mice I have ever tried, optical has never performed well for me.

Keep in mind that mouse and keyboards vary with the user, just because someone says it works for them, you might find out it doesn't work so well for you due to comfort,performance,etc. for example my landlords kid is a hardcore CS and WoW player and hates my gaming mice. His hands are bigger than mine and he prefers to play with a tiny wireless notebook mouse instead. Different strokes for different folks.

Anyway maybe next time I'll tell you about all the different mousepads and gaming surfaces I've been though. Good Luck.

Visit me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. The G7 gaming mouse from logitech is considered one of the best gaming mice out there, and it's wireless. The polling speed of newer wireless devices is so high that they are no slower than wired mice/keyboards. I fps game and use a wireless logitech set and for twitch gaming i have never felt any lag. Get a set with 2.4gz if you need range over 6ft. Bluetooth is 2.4ghz, but you can get other non-bt sets that are 2.4ghz. If you experience interference, adjust your channels and the channels of any routers/phones you may have on the 2.4 band.

MX5000 is a very good set: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke...s/162&cl=us,en

If you want to use the G7 you'll have to pair it with a keyboard from a set most likely.

Go Buckeyes! 2003 NCAA College Football National Champions! 14-0
post #8 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

I have an old MX Duo set that I keep at the desk, and a G7 I keep over by the couch. On game night I take the Duo keyboard over the couch and unroll the Xtrac Ripper. It works great.

I dumped a soda on my Duo keyboard a few months ago and went researching for a new keyboard. Figured they only got better in the past few years. Turns out a lot of the new ones can't handle 3 simultaneous keystrokes. So you're holding down W & D to move diagonally, hit space to jump, and nothing happens. So I got a refurb Duo off eBay, and it works just as well as the old one.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 AM

I use a G7 and a BTC 9019URF that I got at Fry's. It was a cheapest RF wireless keyboard I can find. Very, very little lag.

MCE 2005 R2/Ubuntu Fiesty Mplayer AMD 3500+ 7800GT (silenced) ATI HDTV Wonder DVICO Fusion 5 Gold Sceptre X37/NEC 20WMGX2
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page