Crysis Reviews - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 135 Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well, I wanted to hold off weighing in on the subject of the "goodness" of this game since I had just played the demo and wanted to get into the meat of the game before I posted my observations. But having only gotten part way into the third level "Relic" I have to say it surprises me to read some of the tepid reactions to this game by what I assume are experienced pc gamers. Of course, I have some issues with some of the mechanics of the game and some of the choices made by the developers as is to be expected with any game since no one has published the perfect one...yet.

Performance and graphics wise, I'm sacrificing a bit by playing on mostly high settings and getting framerates, in the worst cases, of high teens to mid 20's @ 1680x1050 instead of the native 1920x1200 of my monitor. I think the biggest graphical sacrifice made is the shaders are set to medium and post processing set to low. However, it's been playable and hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the game and I still find myself looking around during a mission and being amazed at what I'm seeing rendered by my desktop computer. I'm also playing at the Delta difficulty which I think also adds to the fun of the game by forcing the player to be more methodical and stealthy and increasing the immersion by having the opfors speak in Korean. I fully expect to replay this game with an upgraded system in the near future to experience it in all it's graphical glory. Based on what I saw on my kid's computer, this game can still be enjoyed with mostly medium settings, medium res, on a 6800GT, single core processor, 2GB memory machine. So don't let all the scare stories put you off.

Everyone has different tastes in their shooters, and I tend to favor the more tactical ones, but I think this is the state-of-the-art (except co-op is missing, come on Crytek!) from a technology, gameplay, and production values standpoint in what can be done on a desktop computer with $50 worth of software to simulate getting dropped into an action adventure movie. People tend to nitpick some things like odd AI behavior but on the whole, I've had moments where the AI behavior has been...well...cool, or funny, or fascinating and generally entertaining. You can nitpick lots of other stuff but I think you have to take the experience as a whole, even if I don't consider this my favorite game (yet), and give Crytek their due for what they've produced.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 135 Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Craig Tiller, lead programmer, only 28 in Budapest.. wow.
Last fleet level will make you curse a lot.
post #93 of 135 Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 AM

is there a patch coming out for SLI optimization?
post #94 of 135 Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Well I wouldn't call the ai being dumb a "nit pick" because it the whole point of the game, to kill the enemy.
I love shooting someone 8 times and see them do the exact same thing 8 times and just stand there yelling... ooooo what a rush! har har har

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #95 of 135 Old 11-28-2007, 04:54 PM

ok everyone I didn't take the time to read all the posts and this may have been said but I just want to warn everyone...

First of all, crysis is awesome. The graphics blow away absolutely anything ive played by a longshot. not to mention the gameplay is crazy. however...

I have a computer built for gaming and I only get around 20 fps running crysis at 1280x720 with settings mixed about half and half at high and very high. strangely enough I don't get much improvement if i lower the resolution and not much slower at a higher resolution. I can't figure out why thus far.

On top of that, if you have vista and are using a high defintion TV, for some reason crysis doesnt like either 720p or 1080p saying its an incompatible format, but this wont happen if i run it windowed in the same resolution. all the fullscreen resolutions scale fin with no incompatibility.

Intel quad core q6600 2.4 ghz
4 gb ram 667 mhz
nvidia 8800 gtx
x64 bit windows ultimate

so in sum, if you plan on playing this in direct x 10 you better have one beast of a computer. if mine cant do it well... not many can. p.s. anyone know how to fix my problem with the 720p and 1080p resolutions?
post #96 of 135 Old 11-28-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well somethings not right, unless its the 2.4Ghz (Overclock that CPU!).

With a dual core running at 3.2Ghz (6600 normally running at 2.4Ghz) under XP with an 8800GTX I can get 30fps on average at 1080p, 720p isn't a supported DVI resolution on my display but if I choose 1600x900, I can run closer to 40fps, that is with the GTX also overclocked btw.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #97 of 135 Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM

if you are using windows xp you are running in directx 9. I have vista installed and play crysis at directx 10, which is infinitely more demanding... to the point of being a little rediculous despite the gorgeous graphics. anyway yea when i run crysis multiplayer in direct x 9 i get like 60 fps
post #98 of 135 Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The consensus seems to be that there isn't really a compelling reason to run Crysis in DX10 since most of the effects that make a significant difference to the visuals are available in DX9. This article at tweakguides has some good info.

Jim
post #99 of 135 Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

This guy couldn't have said it better IMO

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/fla...vs_crysis.html

post #100 of 135 Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I figure I'm about halfway through Crysis now so I'll throw in. Yeah it looks good....but at the same time, meh I don't find the game itself all that. I felt similarly about Farcry I guess. I did however just beat COD4 single player...Now THAT was a great playing game. It also looks very good though not as amazing as Crysis but the gameplay is hands down much better. I think just like Farcry, having Crysis around in a year or so when the hardware steps up will have us all going back to ooh and ahh over it.
-Trouble
post #101 of 135 Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

yuppers I agree cod4 was a far more entertaining game.

post #102 of 135 Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with the Crysis reviews, the game wasnt as entertaining as I thought it would but I couldnt care less about COD4 either. Thats a game with very little variance from the usual. I find I'm still sticking with RB6:Vegas as my type of game and the console version of GRAW2, PC version of GRAW1.
post #103 of 135 Old 12-02-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Crysis is awesome, an awesome followup to FarCry..and thanks to the suit you can play it so many ways, Stealthy...or run in, jump on a building while scared Koreans scream, and power-punch the roof to collapse the building in on them. Come ON...its *awesome*.

PS: Those of you with even top of the line rigs, if you're playing at High Rez, you owe it to yourself to play at MEDIUM detail level.

YES...you lose some stuff, but let me tell you something..the game, after about 2 seconds, looks beautiful at medium detail...but it ALSO runs smooth as glass on my 8800GTX system, something that was not the case running at High detail level.

Until a huge SLI patch comes out or until we see a new part from Nvidia, I'm treating Crysis as the game I'll play again someday at high detail levels (Much like I did farcry).

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #104 of 135 Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 AM

Here are some interesting videos I saw watched earlier.

Crysis - Mass Physics:
http://www.stage6.com/user/Neillithan/video/1911267/
Description:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaHS-y_mapQ

Super Metroid: Crysis! ...well, maybe not just yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tljLCiO9do

I can't wait to see more of what the mod community can create.
post #105 of 135 Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

PS: Those of you with even top of the line rigs, if you're playing at High Rez, you owe it to yourself to play at MEDIUM detail level.

YES...you lose some stuff, but let me tell you something..the game, after about 2 seconds, looks beautiful at medium detail...but it ALSO runs smooth as glass on my 8800GTX system, something that was not the case running at High detail level.

I reluctantly tried your suggestion (after finally upgrading my GPU I was dedicated to playing on HIGH), and surprisingly after a few minutes I was definitely enjoying the increased smoothness, and didn't really notice the graphical downgrade too much. On all High I was struggling to maintain 30fps at 1680x1050 with my 8800GT (700/2000), but on medium I'm cruising in the mid 40's most of the time!

The only thing that really bothered me is that there seems to be a HUGE increase of foliage pop-in with the all medium setting. I did some research and I believe that the 'object detail' option must control at what distance ground foliage become visible, so I'm going to see how it does running objects at high.

Hmm, on the other hand maybe I'll just grab my old 15" Trinitron and see how it runs at 1024x768.

Also, I'm still running at stock CPU speeds. Do you think I'd get a FPS boost by overclocking the CPU as well, or is the GPU most likely maxing itself out at 1680x1050 on high settings anyways?
post #106 of 135 Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Generally speaking I think you are correct in that games are usually gpu bound at high resolutions. But, that does not mean that you won't see any increase in frame rate with a higher clocked cpu. It just might be a relatively small bump compared to oc'ing your gpu or just getting a faster card period.

Your gain just depends on what kind of cpu you have now. So what do ya got?
post #107 of 135 Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm running a C2D E6750 @ 2.66Ghz (stock). I haven't had any reason to overclock the system yet, but maybe it's time to put down some Arctic Silver and see how hot this thing can get!
post #108 of 135 Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher View Post

I'm running a C2D E6750 @ 2.66Ghz (stock). I haven't had any reason to overclock the system yet, but maybe it's time to put down some Arctic Silver and see how hot this thing can get!

Since the 6750 is already at 2.66 you might not see much performance gain at high resolutions, but there is no reason why you can't get that thing up to 3-3.2 maybe even with the stock cooler. If you ever decided to run a game at a lower resolution then you would see large gain by oc'ing that proc.

Check this chart out from gamespot. There are better ones from toms and elsewhere but I already had this one up.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182806/p-6.html

So you can see that you probably won't get much performance gain by oc'ing your proc (if any at all) at that resolution with Crysis.

But, personally I would OC the bejeezus out of that thing just for the heck of it. I just ordered my new rig (in the mail) and I can't wait to see how high I can take it.
post #109 of 135 Old 12-03-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Exactly..BURN That sucker. My 2.6 at 3.2 is living its life to the fullest

Also overclock the 8800GT.....overclock em both, get the most FPS you can!

post #110 of 135 Old 12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Also overclock the 8800GT.....overclock em both, get the most FPS you can!

I already bumped the GT from 600/1800 to 700/2000 so that's running pretty good, but I just haven't bothered with the CPU yet. Maybe I'll thow 3DMark on tonight and see what she can do.

As for crysis, I'm really digging it so far. I've been playing through on easy and am getting my ass handed to me regularly, so I definitely have to learn some tactics, but with the level of freedom and interactivity the game provides at least I there are plenty of options!
post #111 of 135 Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 AM

New Crysis gameplay benchmark - 8800GT

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

Seems they agree to knock the res down to increase the eye candy.
post #112 of 135 Old 12-06-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone evaluating Crysis really needs to play through the whole game. The performance and overall fun is much higher in the jungle scenes. I was really impressed how good it was at first. Then things get stupid with console style bosses, extremely linear gameplay, and a big drop in framerate.

Overall it's just a good game. I didn't like the Ewoks in star wars, the mutants in Far Cry, or the Aliens in Crysis. They should have just left it focused on killing "bad" humans.

And as far as shooting people goes, it's very unrealistic for todays standards. The ragdoll physics are good on VeryHigh, but people should be destructable. There's no blood decals like there was in Far Cry. The guys still look like models after being shot in face. They put such detail into other parts of the games, like making watermelons, trees, glass bottles, etc destructable but people aren't rendered with any dynamic detail. If I shoot a guy in the leg it would be cool if he limped, but at the very least they should but a blood splat on his leg where I hit him. Similar with a sniper head shot. There's not even a bullet hole, when in truth his head would probably explode.

Anyway, the game has impressive graphics, but it comes up short in other areas by comparison. Overall it's a good game, which is disappointing because it could have been great.

post #113 of 135 Old 12-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher View Post

I reluctantly tried your suggestion (after finally upgrading my GPU I was dedicated to playing on HIGH), and surprisingly after a few minutes I was definitely enjoying the increased smoothness, and didn't really notice the graphical downgrade too much. On all High I was struggling to maintain 30fps at 1680x1050 with my 8800GT (700/2000), but on medium I'm cruising in the mid 40's most of the time!

The only thing that really bothered me is that there seems to be a HUGE increase of foliage pop-in with the all medium setting. I did some research and I believe that the 'object detail' option must control at what distance ground foliage become visible, so I'm going to see how it does running objects at high.

Hmm, on the other hand maybe I'll just grab my old 15" Trinitron and see how it runs at 1024x768.

Also, I'm still running at stock CPU speeds. Do you think I'd get a FPS boost by overclocking the CPU as well, or is the GPU most likely maxing itself out at 1680x1050 on high settings anyways?

to tell you the truth ive got almost the identical set up you do...ive got a 8800GTX, a q6600, 4GB DDR2 patriot with 4-4-4-12 timings...mobo is asus maximus formula...ive got everything running at stock speeds for now...i first started crysis at very high settings and i cant rememeber the rez im playing at but its very near 1920x1200...the framerate wasnt to great but then i just simply bumped the shaders down from very high to high and its buttery smooth...i have yet to fall below 20fps during heavy moments of action...when not in action i have zero hiccups whatsoever...cant wait to see how it is when i overclock tonight...mmmmmm!
post #114 of 135 Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

And as far as shooting people goes, it's very unrealistic for todays standards. The ragdoll physics are good on VeryHigh, but people should be destructable. There's no blood decals like there was in Far Cry. The guys still look like models after being shot in face. They put such detail into other parts of the games, like making watermelons, trees, glass bottles, etc destructable but people aren't rendered with any dynamic detail. If I shoot a guy in the leg it would be cool if he limped, but at the very least they should but a blood splat on his leg where I hit him. Similar with a sniper head shot. There's not even a bullet hole, when in truth his head would probably explode.

Anyway, the game has impressive graphics, but it comes up short in other areas by comparison. Overall it's a good game, which is disappointing because it could have been great.

EXACTLY!

What is the point of the game? To be in awe of a sunrise? No! The point of the game is to shoot people and that is just plain unsatisfying in this game if you ask me.
post #115 of 135 Old 12-08-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it's nice to see there quite a few others that think this way as well!

post #116 of 135 Old 12-09-2007, 06:26 PM

X-Play review is 3 out of 5
post #117 of 135 Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohagen View Post

X-Play review is 3 out of 5

yeah what Adam says is really important! :P
post #118 of 135 Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM

"Explosions dans Crysis"
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3q...sis_videogames

lol at the soldier on the chair
never had a chance
post #119 of 135 Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

I finished Crysis last night and i enjoyed it. Not only does it look good it actually is a good game imo. Also finished episode today today.
post #120 of 135 Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, despite the positive reviews, it appears Crysis hasn't been selling as well as it oughta -- at least in North 'Merka. I'm at a loss to explain why a quality PC game is prone to fall so flat at retail, but I have a few ideas... resistance to an EA-published title; perception by most PC gamers that their rig wouldn't do the game justice; "yet another first-person shooter" in a crowded field of great FPS games; a trend away from PC gaming in general; or perhaps a combination and/or confluence of the above factors.

I'll tell you this, though: I really think PCGamer's 98% score by Chuck Osborne totally smacks of an over-fanboish effort to enervate the PC gaming base by hyping a game above and beyond its actual merits. I admit I haven't played the retail version, but having played the demo and read enough reviews, I'm pretty sure I'd come away with a less than perfect impression of the Crysis as a whole. As much as I've enjoyed reading PCGamer over the years, I'm done with 'em, and I'm done with their snooty consoles-are-so-crummy attitude. And even though TheVede had the same kind of haughtiness, I always felt he was at least tongue-in-cheek enough to make it bearable.

Games For Windows mag gave Crysis a more modest 8/10 rating... perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between that and the PCG score, but I've been impressed with Jeff Green and staff in the past three or four years, and I welcome GFW's more holistic approach to gaming in general.

Anyway, it kind of goes back to the idea that reviews <> sales (see: Psychonauts). What does this say about the state of the industry?

==\dub/==
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page