Crysis Reviews - Page 5 - AVS Forum
First ... 3  4  5
HTPC Gaming > Crysis Reviews
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi 09:25 PM 12-25-2007
All I know is that I d/l the Crysis demo and it ran like crap on my new 8800GT and I would assume that it pretty much chokes on most setups. I purchased COD4, maxed out the settings and it runs smooth as silk and is a great game to boot. Why would I want to bother with Crysis now when I can get back to it in a year or so when I can run it smoothly and purchase it for $20?

ShagnWagn's Avatar ShagnWagn 09:50 PM 12-25-2007
I finished this game a couple days ago. I didn't much care for the alien piece of it - seemed tacked on. The aliens also seemed to be a bunch of wussies because they were pretty weak and their mothership went down in 5 minutes.

As far as the graphics, I would agree that it's crap that not even the fastest home pc can run all settings at the highest with a super duper uber resolution.

What I do like is the game won't feel outdated in a few years for people who come back to play it - which makes it scalable.

Another point I read is the game engine was designed to be licensed so more new games can be built with it and not feel outdated within a year.

It seems many people are judging this game solely by it's framerate. What I want to see is a review of playable graphics settings compared to another game like CoD4. I have both, and must say both look awesome. I can run CoD4 at max settings right now and it runs smooth. I can't run Crysis at max settings, but it looks just as good (graphics-wise) if you have the settings right (lower resolution to turn the settings up). I enjoyed playing both. To me, CoD4 had more playability and Crysis was more immersive. We are all winners here because games just keep looking better regardless.

So in the end, Crysis still needs better hardware to run at max details. I will have to come back to this game whenever I decide to upgrade. Will I come back to CoD4? Most likely not since the graphics are already outdated. My 2 cent$.
HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch 07:44 AM 12-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub273 View Post

Well, despite the positive reviews, it appears Crysis hasn't been selling as well as it oughta -- at least in North 'Merka. I'm at a loss to explain why a quality PC game is prone to fall so flat at retail, but I have a few ideas... resistance to an EA-published title; perception by most PC gamers that their rig wouldn't do the game justice; "yet another first-person shooter" in a crowded field of great FPS games; a trend away from PC gaming in general; or perhaps a combination and/or confluence of the above factors.

You need look no further than at all of the games released this year. Crysis is just another game released this 2007 holiday season, along with DOZENS of others. Also, Crysis isn't on a console yet....that hurts. Lastly, Crysis is a huge resource hog, that would be the final nail in the coffin.

Quote:

Games For Windows mag gave Crysis a more modest 8/10 rating... perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between that and the PCG score, but I've been impressed with Jeff Green and staff in the past three or four years, and I welcome GFW's more holistic approach to gaming in general.

Anyway, it kind of goes back to the idea that reviews <> sales (see: Psychonauts). What does this say about the state of the industry?

You still read magazines?

Seriously, Crysis is a great shooter if you like to take your time. Its a terrible game if you want to rush through the game to get from battle to battle. I spent most of my time creeping around invisibly, sneaking up no guys. Or ambushing guys in invisible mode, then immediately going invisible again and changing position, and watching as they looked around for me or sprayed the jungle where I no longer was.

I enjoyed the ride, and thats all that matters. Unfortunately there are less instances in the game of using boats and vehicles (Far Cry did this pretty well) towards the end.....it would have been nice to have to of used boats or jeeps more often. And the VTOLS...
Tinker's Avatar Tinker 09:19 AM 12-26-2007
IMHO...Crysis is a nice tech demo. I tried the demo and just seems the game was very dated. Just didnt get that imersive feel like that the environment was real. It just looked too pretty. I have a relatively hi end system and this is the first game that I can not run at max settings and get a consistant 30+fps. I call it a tech demo since hi end systems cannot run this game. The cop-out always stated is that when new hardware comes out then pple will revisit it (in about 1-2 yrs time). Really, in 2 years there will be other games that will be more intresting then Crysis. Big mistake in releasing game that can not be played with current hi end gear.

EDIT: I am a sucker for good FPS and Crysis is one of the few super hyped PC FPS that I didnt buy after playing the demo. I might pick it up when the price drops to bargain , just to use as a benchmrk demo. Glad I picked up CoD4.
HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch 09:40 AM 12-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

IMHO...Crysis is a nice tech demo. I tried the demo and just seems the game was very dated. Just didnt get that imersive feel like that the environment was real. It just looked too pretty. Big mistake in releasing game that can not be played with current hi end gear.

There is always one game that comes along that crushes high-end gear...then another, then another. Then we upgrade. Hell flight simulators do this every time one of them is released. FarCry was no different. Sounds more like you're angry that the game chugs on your pricy rig....which is a valid complaint, except that its unfounded (unless you're trying to drive your uber-rez 30" monitor, in which case...you knew this day was coming).

This game runs fine on high-end equipment if you drop things down visually a bit. The game doesn't turn into pong, you just lose a few details that you largely wont miss. I played the whole game at 1080p on high detail with only the shaders turned to medium, things looked great, textures were awesome, and the framerate never bothered me (until, literally, the absolute last level of the game when I noticed some chugging).

Quote:

EDIT: I am a sucker for good FPS and Crysis is one of the few super hyped PC FPS that I didnt buy after playing the demo. I might pick it up when the price drops to bargain , just to use as a benchmrk demo. Glad I picked up CoD4.

Crysis gives you twice as much gametime in SP mode as COD4 does, and its very satisfyng to play once you begin to master the nuances of the suit and what it can do. Enemies have flanked me, hidden behind trees and in bushes where I couldn't easily see them, etc. The environments were pretty to my eyes.

Playing Crysis is going to make me go back and play through FarCry again.
Tinker's Avatar Tinker 09:56 AM 12-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

There is always one game that comes along that crushes high-end gear...then another, then another. Then we upgrade. Hell flight simulators do this every time one of them is released. FarCry was no different. Sounds more like you're angry that the game chugs on your pricy rig....which is a valid complaint, except that its unfounded (unless you're trying to drive your uber-rez 30" monitor, in which case...you knew this day was coming).

This game runs fine on high-end equipment if you drop things down visually a bit. The game doesn't turn into pong, you just lose a few details that you largely wont miss. I played the whole game at 1080p on high detail with only the shaders turned to medium, things looked great, textures were awesome, and the framerate never bothered me (until, literally, the absolute last level of the game when I noticed some chugging).

Crysis gives you twice as much gametime in SP mode as COD4 does, and its very satisfyng to play once you begin to master the nuances of the suit and what it can do. Enemies have flanked me, hidden behind trees and in bushes where I couldn't easily see them, etc. The environments were pretty to my eyes.

Playing Crysis is going to make me go back and play through FarCry again.

Not angry since you know by my past history I upgrade a lot more then most here. Its just that Crysis with all the hype just didnt live up to what I thght would be a great game. I even tried running it at 1920x1200 and still not happy with the game, again the game felt dejavue since I thght I already played the game in FAR CRY. All the reviews have panned the latter part of the game with the aliens as crappy. As far as the AI in the demo goes, they are dumb. The whole demo, you just go invisble then picked them off and repeat over and over again. The AI is so dumb that when a comrade is kill near them when you are cloaked, they dont even react. This was in the demo, maybe the actual game the AI is better.

EDIT the game doent chug at lower settings, but it just didnt give me any pleasure in playing it.

CoD4 has a great online game.
HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch 10:07 AM 12-26-2007
Quote:

...dejavue since I thght I already played the game in FAR CRY. All the reviews have panned the latter part of the game with the aliens as crappy.

Well I dont trust anyones reviews when it comes to "how good is the content" because that is just too damned subjective. I want a review to tell me the nuts and bolts stuff...framerates, do the weapons sound weak, etc. To me Crysis is a fun game...modding your weapons, all of them have a satisfying sound to them, the bad guys get blown away nicely...nothing like shooting the helmet off a guys head, going invisible...watching their flashlights in the dark, then tossing a grenade and seeing them go flying....or throwing a grenade under a jeep and watching it all go flying. Yes, its Farcry II....but its still fun, just like Far Cry was.

Quote:

As far as the AI in the demo goes, they are dumb. The whole demo, you just go invisble then picked them off one at a time and repeat over and over again. The AI is so dumb that when a comrade is kill near them when you are cloaked, they dont even react. This was in the demo, maybe the actual game the AI is better.

All the AI reacts whenever anyone in this game dies, unless they die out of sight and you kill them with a silenced weapon. In fact most of the time you drop a guy, within seconds you'll see a flare going up calling for reinforcements. There is no way to do a stealth-kill in this game where you wipe everyone out without alerting anyone, it just wont happen, or at least I can't seem to make it happen.

Quote:

EDIT the game doent chug at lower settings, but it just didnt give me any pleasure in playing it. CoD4 has a great online game.

I have Battlefield games on the PC if I want to multiplay, I see no reason to go beyond those games when it comes to online warfare because they offer things that COD4 could never. COD4 multiplayer is a step backwards to me...its Quake with real world guns. ...to each his own.
Tutmos's Avatar Tutmos 12:57 PM 12-28-2007
This game was amazing played in my home theater using an HTPC. I played on a 159" screen shot by an RS1 projector and it really felt like you were there half the time. I also didn't like the alien interior segment, I found myself just wanting to get out and back to the island. I don't think that ship you kill at the end is the mother ship, just a battleship of sorts. I got the impression that they were still on the island as you flew off, suggesting expansions to come.
Quidam67's Avatar Quidam67 10:52 PM 12-29-2007
Quote:

IMHO...Crysis is a nice tech demo. I tried the demo and just seems the game was very dated. Just didnt get that imersive feel like that the environment was real. It just looked too pretty. I have a relatively hi end system and this is the first game that I can not run at max settings and get a consistant 30+fps. I call it a tech demo since hi end systems cannot run this game. The cop-out always stated is that when new hardware comes out then pple will revisit it (in about 1-2 yrs time). Really, in 2 years there will be other games that will be more intresting then Crysis. Big mistake in releasing game that can not be played with current hi end gear.

I agree, I regret purchasing this game. I really don't enjoy it.
Tru-blu's Avatar Tru-blu 06:07 AM 01-09-2008
Links:
http://www.crymod.com/filebase.php?fileid=636
ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patc..._Patch_1_1.exe
http://www.gamershell.com/download_22683.shtml
http://www.clan00.de/downloads.php?id=260
http://www.worthdownloading.com/down...=1724&id=13668
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/1160...tail+Patch+1.1
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/c...tch/20542.html
http://gamers-hq.net/mirror-liste/Cr...atch_v1.1.html

Quote:
Fixes

* Fixed: Potential crash in D3D10
* Fixed: Orange boxes apearing when hispec savegame loaded into lowspec game.
* Fixed: Inconsistent damage dealt to vehicles when shot by LAW.
* Fixed: Reflection resolution on D3D10, MultiGPU reflection update fix
* Fixed: Memory leak with FSAA modes
* Fixed: Infinite ammo hacks.
* Fixed: Memory leak in D3D10 when switching screen modes
* Fixed: Muti optimizations
* Fixed: When player melees during gun raise animation, their gun will be in a permanantly raised position.
* Fixed: Crash when loading savegame with level exported recently by editor
* Fixed: Virtual keyboard does not function properly when a game pad is connected
* Fixed: Users can lose the ability to look around with the Right Stick
* Fixed: Setting screen resolution to "default" stops user from selecting last resolution
* Fixed: Bug when changing resolution in D3D10
* Fixed: Issues with Depth of field and water droplets in D3D10
* Fixed: Crash on NaN warning

Updates

* Added: Motion Blur UI and V.SYNC UI options
* Optimized: Motion blur
* Optimized: FSAA (Full Scene Anti-Aliasing)
* Optimized sound id implementation
* Enabled VSync functionality in D3D10
* New benchmarking files for ice CPU benchmark.
* http/xmlrpc password protected remote control session
* Marked debug cvars as cheat
* F12 (screenshot) now works in restricted mode as well

Tweaks

* Reduced LAW splash damage vs. infantry in PowerStruggle mode
* Slowed Rocket projectile speed down in MP slightly
* Disabled automatic turret bounding boxes on vehicles to prevent issues with LAW hit detection
* Reduced grenade explosion radius in multiplayer
* Clamped water tesselation to avoid cheating in MP
* MultiGPU improvements with depth map updates

Troubleshooting and other discussion:
http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/i...oard,29.0.html
http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/i...board,4.0.html
zxlr8's Avatar zxlr8 07:38 AM 01-10-2008
Performance just increased a WHOLE bunch with this patch. I am now able to play at my projectors native resolution(1920x1080) @ High everything. Runs like a dream. I am running a killer computer though. Quad core 6600 @ 3600. Ram @ ddr1100. Single 8800gt is not overclocked at all though. DFI Blood Iron Mobo. Running all the latest drivers with VISTA ULTIMATE and DX10.(th real kicker)
hdtv00's Avatar hdtv00 09:34 AM 01-10-2008
That's funny I didn't gain a single FPS after patching it.
zxlr8's Avatar zxlr8 10:32 AM 01-10-2008
Are you running xp or vista DX10?
hdtv00's Avatar hdtv00 03:37 PM 01-10-2008
xp with the dx10 hack
zxlr8's Avatar zxlr8 08:15 PM 01-10-2008
That is why...most of the increase in performance was for Vista from what I hear...
First ... 3  4  5

Up
Mobile  Desktop