Trouble getting 5.1 to work in PC games - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-18-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an asus Pn5-e sli motherboard and I am using the spdif out to connect to my home theater receiver. Dolby digital and DTS both work fine when i test them in the Realtek audio manager and also work fine when i use my PC to play a movie. However, when I attempt to switch games to 5.1 sound it never switches from pro logic on my receiver. Does anyone know what the heck I'm doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-18-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you confident that the sound chip will re-encode to DD or DTS? I don't know much about this MB but if it doesn't re-encode EAX (for example) to a DD multi channel stream, you're stuck at 2 channel sound. You may have to hook up the 6 channel analog outs.
-Trouble
post #3 of 9 Old 11-18-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I dont know about the reencoding but if it can do dvds why can't it do games? Should I contact realtek or asus support maybe?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 PM

No the problem is that the audio in DVDs is already encoded with Dolby but games are designed around analog multi channel audio not dolby. So in order to get dolby pro logic out of games either the game needs to support dolby out (which most don't) or the sound card needs to re-encode the audio to dolby. That feature is usually called Dolby Live or Dolby Master Studio.

I have the same situation as you and currently I just have my receiver apply a surround mode to the 2 channel output. I might get a Dobly Live supported sound card though.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You have another option:

If your receiver has analog inputs for 5.1 sound (RCA Jacks), you could get a breakout cable that connects to your motherboards standard minijack outputs for speakers (the way you'd connect standard PC speakers) and run those into the analog inputs of your receiver. Thats the way most folks have had to do it, since most sound card options dont support what you were trying to do above (take 5.1 game sounds and run them into your DD/DTS receiver via optical out).

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #6 of 9 Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

connect the minijack outputs (all bajillion of them), or get a sound card with Dolby Digital Live encoding (DDL) from Auzentech, Blue Gears, or Turtle Beach and stick with optical out
post #7 of 9 Old 11-19-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks everyone. I actually had bought a surround sound card with optical out but returned it cause it did not support windows vista... damn the luck
post #8 of 9 Old 11-20-2007, 12:20 AM

X-Merdian is supported in Vista and does live encoding in DTS and DD.

Sadly, you may not know this, but if you had read the labeling of the P5N32-E SLI box, you would have known it's Sound Max chip hardware does indeed support Live DD encoding, however having read that would have only served to further confuse you as the drivers available as of 3 month ago didn't support that feature. Thats when most people gave up and bought a hardware sound card.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-20-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

do you know of any plans to include this feature in future drivers?
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page