Xbox 360 wireless controller on PC - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 804
I've had PC's where one gadget didn't like or work on one port that had other things working on it. Computers can be so cryptic sometimes. I'd try swapping around other usb ports and see if there is any help.

Heheh, this is why I got the wired one. Works great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
after trying everything under the sun, I've concluded it's just dead. It's sad, because now I have the expensive controller working fine and the cheap receiver being the weak link in the chain. I'll check out ebay, otherwise I might just need to get a wired one (to avoid this down the road).

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
post #33 of 51 Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Luckily they're not that expensive. They can be found on eBay for ~$12.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #34 of 51 Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

No it doesn't.

Once you sync the controller to either the 360 or the PC it will only connect to that device.

I have two controllers, have one sync'd to my 360 and one to my PC and turning on my PC controller does not turn on my 360.

This is correct but you can use the Charge-n-Play to sync the controller back to the 360. I have done it. I'm kind of stuck though, I have no Charge-n-Play anymore since I sold my original 360... now I want to use my PC 360 controller, which I no longer use on PC, on 360.

Is there no other way to do it?
post #35 of 51 Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post

This is correct but you can use the Charge-n-Play to sync the controller back to the 360. I have done it. I'm kind of stuck though, I have no Charge-n-Play anymore since I sold my original 360... now I want to use my PC 360 controller, which I no longer use on PC, on 360.

Is there no other way to do it?

There's a button on the front of the 360 next to the memory ports (or USB door on the slim) that you need to press and hold until the lights start circling the power button (or blinking in the center on the slim). Then there's a small button next to the charging port on the controller that you need to press and hold until the lights start circling the guide button. At this point the lights on the controller should all blink a couple of times and then the quadrant assigned to that controller should stay lit on both the controller and Xbox.
post #36 of 51 Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked up the microsoft receiver w/ controller yesterday. How do you shut the controller off? I have just been popping the battery cover off/on...
post #37 of 51 Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Liked: 93
It will just turn off by itself after 10 minutes or so. Don't worry about it.
post #38 of 51 Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

It will just turn off by itself after 10 minutes or so. Don't worry about it.

But I am yet to buy the rechargable batteries . To gamestop I go (i have a few ps3 games to take in since I no longer have a ps3).
post #39 of 51 Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 PM

If you aren't actively using the controller, then it's power use is extremely low. That 10 minutes of inactivity costs so very little in battery life that it is not worthy of any concern. Even on crap alkaline cells, that 10 minutes of inactivity before powering off equates out to maybe 30 seconds of active use.

For rechargeables? I far prefer AA NIMH cells labeled as "pre-charged" or "ready to use" over the 360 specific battery packs. They hold a charge far longer during periods of non-use, and can be used in other devices as well. If I don't use my PC's 360 controller for six months with "pre-charged" AA cells in it, it will still work when I pick it up. After even a month of non-use with the 360 specific packs they lose their entire charge, resulting in a dead controller when you do want to use it.
post #40 of 51 Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For rechargeables? I far prefer AA NIMH cells labeled as "pre-charged" or "ready to use" over the 360 specific battery packs. They hold a charge far longer during periods of non-use, and can be used in other devices as well.

Target has some rechargeables on clearance this week, I just picked up a Rayovac charger with 2 AA and 2 AAA precharged NiMH for around $7. I second the value of the precharged NiMH; at first I thought they were a marketing gimmick, but they really do last a lot longer in high-draw devices like digital cameras.
post #41 of 51 Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick View Post

But I am yet to buy the rechargable batteries . To gamestop I go (i have a few ps3 games to take in since I no longer have a ps3).

I just pop the back cover also.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #42 of 51 Old 04-05-2011, 05:59 AM

I just look for the ones with the highest mAh. My duracell 2650s are awesome.
post #43 of 51 Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM

"I just look for the ones with the highest mAh. My duracell 2650s are awesome."

Your Duracell 2650s are not of the low self-discharge type. As such, they will drop their charge after a month regardless of use. This means that in order to get remotely close to that 2650mah of use out of them, you must fully charge them immediately before putting them in the controller, and then use the controller so heavily that you drain the batteries within a week. Otherwise, a 2000mah low self-discharge AA cell will out-perform a 2650mah standard NIMH every time.

In short, looking for just the highest mah rating is bad advice, especially for the topic at hand.

My advice, fxspec? Go pick up a $10 pack of "ready to use" or "pre-charged" AA cells. You'll rapidly decide that your Duracell 2650s are far from awesome, but are much closer to "acceptable, if it was 2005". They are also great for use in a digital camera, as long as you make sure to charge them right before you go on a heavy picture taking day.
post #44 of 51 Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 AM

To anyone using a 360 controller (or any other), I suggest to give Pinnacle Game Profiler a try! It will let you control any game, just the way you prefer it. Comes with a load of preset profiles for any non out-of-the-box working game. And it also enables you to control windows (mouse etc) by game controller.
post #45 of 51 Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Liked: 11
I realize this thread is old but since so many if u guys use it and there isn't flaming going in in here bout using a controller I figure I can ask. Those that have used it coming from console. Did you notice a Disadvantage playing against KM? I hear games like bf bc2 can be tough.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #46 of 51 Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
From my recent experience, it seems good for most console to PC ports that I've played (platformers and racing games), but when it comes to FPS's, the controller is a major disadvantage to the mouse.

I hadn't played a PC game since I was a kid until about 3 months ago, so it's been somewhat of a painful process learning how to control a character with the keyboard, but the mouse is a wonderful tool for aiming. The precision can't be beat. My only advice if you're new to gaming on PC is to play through the single player campaigns to try and get used to the controls (like BC2). I'm still terrible, but a lot better than where I started.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #47 of 51 Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks. Guess I'll have to practice then

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #48 of 51 Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Mutliplayer FPS, RTS, and Terraria are about the only thing I use a keyboard/mouse for. Everything else I gravitate to my 360 controller, generally. For example, I am playing Deus Ex: Human Resources right now, and using my 360 gamepad. It lets me recline and be comfortable, while playing this slower-paced FPS.

Keep in mind, I was using mouselook+strafe in Doom OG back when most people were still using just the keyboard to haltingly move their space marine around. I use the right tool for the job. It's not a matter of which one is definitively "bettar!!1" as most KBM-only nubs will tell you.

In short: Use KBM for the brilliant Bad Company 2 and Team Fortress 2. The 360 gamepad is fantastic for just about everything else.
post #49 of 51 Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mutliplayer FPS, RTS, and Terraria are about the only thing I use a keyboard/mouse for. Everything else I gravitate to my 360 controller, generally. For example, I am playing Deus Ex: Human Resources right now, and using my 360 gamepad. It lets me recline and be comfortable, while playing this slower-paced FPS.

Dude, your work life is invading your gaming life. Time for an intervention

I generally have the same philosophy for playing PC games. Anything that supports the 360 controller properly and I use it. I don't really play online FPS, so not an issue for me, but I'd go KBM for that.
post #50 of 51 Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
FYI: I purchased Tekken 3 Deluxe package off Amazon for $30 and it came with a Hori wireless arcade stick which also happens to work just fine on the PC as well.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #51 of 51 Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM

trying to get my xbox 360 wireless controller to work with my pc. both were bought on ebay.

the light on the receiver comes up and i seem to have installed the driver fine, but when i press the guide button on the controller it just briefly flashes the '4' light then does nothing else - i thought the light was supposed to go around 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 etc? and then you press both the button on the receiver and the sync button on the controller?
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page